Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wili
Apr 7, 2010

ppppbbbbtttthhhhhhttppp!

razorrozar posted:

That's a good point, and with Rich's penchant for twists I wouldn't be at all surprised if it happened this way.

Of course Rich's penchant for twists also means Belkar's going to die and stay dead because everyone expects him to come back somehow.

People expect Belkar to come back? Didn't we learn anything from Miko?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Wili posted:

People expect Belkar to come back? Didn't we learn anything from Miko?

The problem is that we're dealing with a prophecy loophole - the Oracle didn't say Belkar would die, the Oracle said he would "draw his last breath - ever" and told him to enjoy his next birthday cake. We're all genre-aware enough to look at the exact words and think, well, he could be going to die, or he could just become undead and neither eat or breathe.

Same deal with Durkon. He would return "posthumously" ... but dying doesn't mean you stay dead. Technically everything Roy is doing now he's doing posthumously.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

Say, couldn't the IFCC just force V to kill herself when their time controlling her was just about expired?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Colonel Cool posted:

Say, couldn't the IFCC just force V to kill herself when their time controlling her was just about expired?

Why do that when you can leave V in a position where it's impossible to do anything but further drat yourself?

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
They could, but it'd be pointless and, more importantly, wouldn't make for a good story.

What might happen is that they'll make him go out in a giant blaze of glory, that she'll turn around at the last second to accomplish their own goals and redeem himself (in her own eyes).

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

Durkon has enough diamond dust left for a single Ressurection. Malak is adverse to tampering with death, due to his religion, but if his friend and a psychopathic halfling both died and they needed all the help they could get against, say, an unstoppable super-lich, it's a no-brainer who he'd revive.

Voila. If I can miraculously predict Rich Burlew's plots than I think that covers both prophecies.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

There's also the prophecy that says Durkon is going to die, not in so uncertain words as Belkar's prophecy, either. "How will I finally return to my beloved Dwarven homelands?" - "Posthumously." Although that doesn't technically have to mean he dies at a dramatic moment before the end of the comic, Burlew wouldn't be Burlew if it didn't.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Final two panels of OotS

1)
Durkon: I have to go back to my homeland. My people need me!

2)
(Durkon died on the way to his homeland)

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I thought it was pretty clear that Durkon was exiled to never return, because it was stated in a prophecy that his return would cause some massive upheaval/civil war, and so when he returns posthumously, a world-saving hero and faithful of Thor having been exiled until his death for no reason, it'll cause a massive upheaval/civil war.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's also the prophecy that says Durkon is going to die, not in so uncertain words as Belkar's prophecy, either. "How will I finally return to my beloved Dwarven homelands?" - "Posthumously." Although that doesn't technically have to mean he dies at a dramatic moment before the end of the comic, Burlew wouldn't be Burlew if it didn't.

Or, if Rich really wants to get dark, part of the endgame will include the Snarl destroying the world and the heroes finding a way to rebuild it. That way, Durkon will return to his homeland posthumously, that is, after the death of his homeland.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I assumed that the final gate is near his homeland so when he dies during the adventure at some point and the Order hauls his body back home it heralds the imminent arrival of Xykon and Co to wreck up the place.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Colon V posted:

I thought it was pretty clear that Durkon was exiled to never return, because it was stated in a prophecy that his return would cause some massive upheaval/civil war, and so when he returns posthumously, a world-saving hero and faithful of Thor having been exiled until his death for no reason, it'll cause a massive upheaval/civil war.

Wasn't there a thing where there was a letter which basically went "Uh, we have no idea why you're exiled, c'mon home" but the messanger got killed before it could be delivered? Or maybe I'm thinking of something else.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Yeah, the new church leader sent that (or something to that effect), so not only was Durkon exiled, he was exiled off the record. (And then the MitD ate the note, and complained that life isn't fair.)

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

my dad posted:

Or, if Rich really wants to get dark, part of the endgame will include the Snarl destroying the world and the heroes finding a way to rebuild it.
The Snarl either isn't there (anymore) or is not quite as simple a monster as Shojo / Redtail's stories made it up to be.

Fire Storm
Aug 8, 2004

what's the point of life
if there are no sexborgs?

Colonel Cool posted:

I assumed that the final gate is near his homeland so when he dies during the adventure at some point and the Order hauls his body back home it heralds the imminent arrival of Xykon and Co to wreck up the place.
He dies in an explosion near his homeland and the explosion sends him into his homeland.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
At this point I almost hope for a counter-subversion with him dying from a tree-related poison 5 feet from the border of his home.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Colon V posted:

He wasn't exiled for no reason, he was exiled because his return will herald upheaval in the dwarven lands.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Rumda posted:

He wasn't exiled for no reason, he was exiled because his return will herald upheaval in the dwarven lands.

Then why exile him in the first place? If he never leaves, he can never return.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

my dad posted:

The reason was that sooner or later he would have left to visit relatives or something anyway. But if he's commanded to stay away forever then he will because he's lawful.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

my dad posted:

I think the exact quote was "When he next returns home..." Since he was out of his house at the time, they couldn't risk him 'returning home' in any possible sense.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
You know, all this talk about Durkon's return causing upheaval (which I don't know the specifics of since I haven't read the prequel books) and him returning posthumously (which I do remember) made me realize, it's probably going to be his returning home dead that'll cause whatever big unwanted stuff that was prophesied in the first place. The prophecy (and the reaction to it) basically caused itself.

Of course I'm probably not the first person to realize this, but I think it's an interesting possibility.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

DrakePegasus posted:

Durkon has enough diamond dust left for a single Ressurection.
Diamond dust is for sale and the Order is as rich as any group of mid-to-high level adventurers. They can get lots more.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Roland Jones posted:

You know, all this talk about Durkon's return causing upheaval (which I don't know the specifics of since I haven't read the prequel books) and him returning posthumously (which I do remember) made me realize, it's probably going to be his returning home dead that'll cause whatever big unwanted stuff that was prophesied in the first place. The prophecy (and the reaction to it) basically caused itself.

Of course I'm probably not the first person to realize this, but I think it's an interesting possibility.
Thank you for managing to say what I was trying to, but with actual words.

Edit That wasn't sarcastic, I was actually thanking you. :downs:

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 18, 2013

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Colon V posted:

Thank you for managing to say what I was trying to, but with actual words.

Oh dang missed your post where you already said this. Whoops.

Zonekeeper
Oct 27, 2007

Roland Jones posted:

The self-fulfilling prophecy is one of the oldest and most overused literary devices in history - It's drat near a guarantee that when a prophecy affects the plot any reaction will cause it to come true.

The fun isn't in predicting whether the prophecy will come true (it will), the fun is figuring out how the preventative action will backfire and cause it to come true.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

my dad posted:

Or, if Rich really wants to get dark, part of the endgame will include the Snarl destroying the world and the heroes finding a way to rebuild it. That way, Durkon will return to his homeland posthumously, that is, after the death of his homeland.

This is an interesting idea that I never considered, maybe the intervention of the IFCC/Tarquin/The Linear Guild destorys Giriad's gate leaving Xykon and Redcloak to destroy the dwarven homeland as they search for the final one. The 'posthumously' referring to the death of his homeland rather than himself as the Order arrives too late to stop them. This makes a lot of sense as the Durkon prophecy of him returning after his death wasn't so clear in narrative terms.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

CapnAndy posted:

Diamond dust is for sale and the Order is as rich as any group of mid-to-high level adventurers. They can get lots more.

Of course they can. But none's going toward reviving Belkar.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Zonekeeper posted:

The self-fulfilling prophecy is one of the oldest and most overused literary devices in history - It's drat near a guarantee that when a prophecy affects the plot any reaction will cause it to come true.
Origin of PCs spoiler:
As soon as the High Priest of Thor has sent Durkon on his "mission", an acolyte calls him on exactly that; that he's creating a self-fufilling prophecy by making Durkon leave in the first place. The High Priest responds that eventually Durkon would have left, to visit friends or family or hell, just going shopping. At least this way he's got an oath that, being Lawful, he has to keep to, so he'll stay gone. His body returning being enough to trigger it apparently didn't cross the guy's mind.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

CapnAndy posted:

Origin of PCs spoiler:
As soon as the High Priest of Thor has sent Durkon on his "mission", an acolyte calls him on exactly that; that he's creating a self-fufilling prophecy by making Durkon leave in the first place. The High Priest responds that eventually Durkon would have left, to visit friends or family or hell, just going shopping. At least this way he's got an oath that, being Lawful, he has to keep to, so he'll stay gone. His body returning being enough to trigger it apparently didn't cross the guy's mind.

This is one of my biggest peeves in OOTS. Wouldn't it have been infinitely more effective to just order Durkon to cloister himself? It's got the same lawful weight with much less risk. In fact tell him why and tell him not to tell anyone, or even to take a vow of silence or something. All within the realm of being lawful and part of a religious order with none of the risk of allowing him to leave.

But whatever, it's not a huge deal.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

e: YOUUUUU^

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

cafel posted:

This is one of my biggest peeves in OOTS. Wouldn't it have been infinitely more effective to just order Durkon to cloister himself? It's got the same lawful weight with much less risk. In fact tell him why and tell him not to tell anyone, or even to take a vow of silence or something. All within the realm of being lawful and part of a religious order with none of the risk of allowing him to leave.

But whatever, it's not a huge deal.

Because the high priest was interpreting the prophecy to literally mean "as soon as Durkon returns to the building where he lives". Eventually, Durkon would need to leave whatever building he lives in for SOME reason and when he returned, it would bring disaster. Hell, technically just stepping outside the front door to grab the newspaper could be construed as "leaving and returning". So better to just send him far, far away and make him swear never to return.

In other words, the former high priest was a blithering idiot.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

cafel posted:

Because then it would have been "something happens to the building and Durkon leaves it to save someone else", or "doesn't leave it and dies, 'returning home to his ancestors' and triggering something society-quaking with his resolve to stay true to his alignment

So yeah the short of it is it wouldn't matter how it was handled. In a D&D world where oracles are a thing, you'd think they'd learn that.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

If you know anything about prophecies, as you must if you're living in this comic, you necessarily expect that hearing one means you're going to make it come horribly true somehow. Ordering him to leave means that the dreadful consequences are at least delayed for as long as possible.

razorrozar
Feb 21, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I feel like in real life a good DM would provide some way for the characters to prevent a prophecy like that from coming true. If your campaign depends so much on that one detail that you have to railroad them into it it's probably not worth doing in the first place.

Then again doing it this way is also a good way to tell a compelling story, as is evident in OotS, but I feel like if I was running this campaign I'd let Durkon find out about the prophecy and at least try to circumvent it, even if the only way to do that is to arrange to be cremated after he finally dies. I'd want to at least give my players the chance.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

my dad posted:

No. Real dark would be he gets killed, Xykon makes him a zombie or something, and Durkon is part of the attack that destroys his homeland when they march the the final gate. Fulfills all the prophecies

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Yeah, the smart thing to do would have obviously been to just tell Durkon the prophecy and then make him swear an oath to never leave for any reasons. He'd gladly stand in an earthquake or whatever and die if he'd been ordered to and understood why.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Yeah, the smart thing to do would have obviously been to just tell Durkon the prophecy and then make him swear an oath to never leave for any reasons. He'd gladly stand in an earthquake or whatever and die if he'd been ordered to and understood why.

I was gonna say that maybe the high priest didn't fully trust him, but then he banks on a much flimsier oath reason sooo yeah good point.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The thing to do would be to batten down the hatches and dump all your funding into disaster management readiness and then make him leave and come back.

It's gonna happen, may as well happen when you're as ready as possible.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Would it have worked to install a retirement lever in Durkons room and then told him to pull it (or for non DF players, kill him by dumping him in lava)? Or would it trigger on something as a flake of ash was brought by wind or whatever and landed on his doorstep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
The thing is that the source of the prophecy was Odin himself, so even if it was possible to avert it entirely doing so would presumably be heresy. All they could do is make sure it didn't happen immediately, although the fact that no record was kept means that this probably backfired.

Although, thinking of Durkon's words to V, it's possible that the real purpose of the prophecy was to get him to leave his home and cross paths with Roy, since without that the Order of the Stick never would've been formed.