Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Why does Radious mod add samurai back in for Ikko-Ikki? Kind of ruins them for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

Rabhadh posted:

Why does Radious mod add samurai back in for Ikko-Ikki? Kind of ruins them for me.

Well, they're smaller than normal samurai units, the game calls them groups of Ronin, and, though I haven't played that far in my (first, so I didn't even realize it was Radious) Ikko-Ikki campaign, I assume they're pretty limited in the long-term and generally worse than the monks. I've still found myself using almost entirely Ashigaru and warrior monks.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Electric Pope posted:

Well, they're smaller than normal samurai units, the game calls them groups of Ronin, and, though I haven't played that far in my (first, so I didn't even realize it was Radious) Ikko-Ikki campaign, I assume they're pretty limited in the long-term and generally worse than the monks. I've still found myself using almost entirely Ashigaru and warrior monks.

The Ronin units are part of the Ikko-Ikki unit lineup anyway, unmodded. I haven't used Radious Mod but I presume it adds actual samurai units to them, from what Rabhadh and a couple others have said.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
If I remember correctly, you also access them purely with the Sake Den line of buildings, compared to Temple + Weapon Dojo for the specific type of monks you need. I guess Radious intended them to be a "got the money but not the infrastructure" type of units; mercenaries, in short.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

John Charity Spring posted:

The Ronin units are part of the Ikko-Ikki unit lineup anyway, unmodded. I haven't used Radious Mod but I presume it adds actual samurai units to them, from what Rabhadh and a couple others have said.

Radious adds every unit to everybody (excepting for Religious restrictions, so no Monks for the Christians and no Nanban Quarter for non-Christians). So yea, the Ikko get regular Samuari right off the bat. However, the Ikko Warrior Monks are superior in every way except armour, and they get a nice variety to boot (as well as early access to Matchlock Monks). Ronin are available to everyone, but from higher-level ports instead. And for some reason they are vastly superior to regular Samurai. Naginata Ronin give Bulletproof Samurai a run for their money in the not-dying game.

Electric Pope
Oct 29, 2011

Oh I'm still alive
I'm still alive
I can't apologize, no

MadJackMcJack posted:

Radious adds every unit to everybody (excepting for Religious restrictions, so no Monks for the Christians and no Nanban Quarter for non-Christians). So yea, the Ikko get regular Samuari right off the bat. However, the Ikko Warrior Monks are superior in every way except armour, and they get a nice variety to boot (as well as early access to Matchlock Monks). Ronin are available to everyone, but from higher-level ports instead. And for some reason they are vastly superior to regular Samurai. Naginata Ronin give Bulletproof Samurai a run for their money in the not-dying game.

Maybe I somehow installed Radious wrong then, as I've not had any regular samurai options. Probably for the best though, as that really would ruin my immersion.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

Electric Pope posted:

Maybe I somehow installed Radious wrong then, as I've not had any regular samurai options. Probably for the best though, as that really would ruin my immersion.

Immersion be damned, you get Tetsubo Monks. It's clobbering time!

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

MadJackMcJack posted:

Immersion be damned, you get Tetsubo Monks. It's clobbering time!

If you don't yell "Testuboooooooo" as you charge them home then you are using them wrong.

Having said that, I never really liked the everyone getting basically every unit in the name of choice, especially with the DLC units actually adding some flavour to various factions, which gets smeared out when everyone has access to them.

On the other hand, Tetsubo.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

shalcar posted:

If you don't yell "Testuboooooooo" as you charge them home then you are using them wrong.

I'd love a mod that changed the warcry sound to that.

El Chingon
Oct 9, 2012
This might have been posted before but I can't find anything.

Is there a mod that replaces de music in SH2? after 250 hours logged, I can't stand the music anymore. I miss the first Medieval soundtrack.

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

John Charity Spring posted:

My preferred strategy with the Ikko Ikki was to expand as 'peacefully' as possible. Incite religious revolts and they'll flip to your allegiance if successful. You can nab provinces off clans you're at peace with this way.

This is also really useful for cherry-picking your borders when you're getting close to sparking the realm divide. You can set up your borders exactly how you want them without starting a bunch of costly wars, and then use the mountain passes as choke points for that initial zerg when everybody declares war on you.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

El Chingon posted:

This might have been posted before but I can't find anything.

Is there a mod that replaces de music in SH2? after 250 hours logged, I can't stand the music anymore. I miss the first Medieval soundtrack.

Yes, you go to the options menu, mute the music and have itunes (or your preferred audio service) up in the background. :smug:

Koramei fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 18, 2013

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

My campaign map in SH2 is really blurry. Googling, it seems a lot of people had this problem but I can't find a solution. I've tried switching between DX9 and 11, toggling AA on and off, different texture settings, Depth of Field and Distortion Effects are off. Is there a fix?

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
Macedon has been announced as the third faction, they sound good apart from their boats will suck and greek factions will hate the; which I guess is going to mean getting blockaded a lot early on.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Macedon has been announced as the third faction, they sound good apart from their boats will suck and greek factions will hate the; which I guess is going to mean getting blockaded a lot early on.

Nice, I always really liked to play as Macedon, there was nothing better than letting the enemy throw themselves on your wall of spears while your cavalry was moving to flank them.

Also having a lovely fleet won't be a problem, you just have to do as Alexander and take all their ports on land so their fleet will be useless :black101: .

Edit: Jesus loving christ, why did I go to that website http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=579065 .

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jan 18, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Lord Tywin posted:

Edit: Jesus loving christ, why did I got to that website http://www.twcenter.net/forums/showthread.php?t=579065 .

Who the hell would bother to be an angry nationalist about nations from Antiquity? It boggles the mind.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Tomn posted:

Who the hell would bother to be an angry nationalist about nations from Antiquity? It boggles the mind.

Honestly the best thing is just staying away from that website, I was a member for a while and the number of retarded nationalists make Balkan youtube videos seem reasonable. The dude who started that topic I linked is one of the even crazier ones who constantly defends ancient Rome in every situation, I think that he even defended various Roman cases of mass murder and enslavement.

Pump it up! Do it! fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 18, 2013

shalcar
Oct 21, 2009

At my signal, DEAL WITH IT.
Taco Defender

Lord Tywin posted:

Honestly the best thing is just staying away from that website, I was a member for a while and the number of retarded nationalists make Balkan youtube videos seem reasonable. The dude is one of the even crazier ones who constantly defends ancient Rome whatever they do, I think that he even defended various Roman cases of mass murder and enslavement.

TWC is a total hellhole of crazy shut-ins with persecution complexes matched only by their complete lack of attachment to anything called reality. The obsession they seem to have with minutiae is matched only by their complete inability to see anything remotely like a bigger picture. This holds for the modders, the testers and the history boffins. How the CA public liaison posts there without drinking drain cleaner to make the stupid stop I have no idea.

Avoid at all costs.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009
On the flipside, it's a good place to get mods. Just don't stay any longer then it takes to get those mods.

Rabhadh
Aug 26, 2007
Gonna give SS 6.4 a try after many moons without it, anyone have any good recommend submods?

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012

MadJackMcJack posted:

On the flipside, it's a good place to get mods. Just don't stay any longer then it takes to get those mods.

And don't ever voice dislike for a feature or design decision. Not even Minecraft people are as petulant as the TWC modders.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

And don't ever voice dislike for a feature or design decision. Not even Minecraft people are as petulant as the TWC modders.

Well it is pretty understandable that they are so horrible seeing how the site encourages it by giving prominent modders a title that sets them apart from common members and allows them to participate in the political system of the website.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
99% of forums that still let you have images in your signatures are full of crazy people anyway, as their signatures will always tell you.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Wasn't there one modder who kept "quitting" the modding scene because CA wouldn't hire him or show him proper respect or something?

Edit: Holy cow that Roman-fan is nuts.

quote:

Stop what? I'll stop at nothing but the facts. Do you have facts to controvert me or not?

It's not just a "fecking computer game", you. The whole premise of Classical education, classical studies in antiquity, the entire basis of European education has been founded on the premise that Romans (and Athens), were not villains.

I don't know about you, how much you know or care about Latin, about Classics, or about any sort of culture in general. But I care. I will not let this hogwash propaganda stand and demoralize students of Classical Antiquity, especially from a good company like CA that knows better.

To be fair to the TWC forums, it seems like there's a lot of people calling him out for being a nitpicking idiot, but yeah, the few times I've wandered over myself for whatever reason doesn't usually show up much that's better.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Jan 18, 2013

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Tomn posted:

Wasn't there one modder who kept "quitting" the modding scene because CA wouldn't hire him or show him proper respect or something?

Yeah that was Darth 'I am a big pants of fire liar'. He is more or less as crazy as they come.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

SeanBeansShako posted:

Yeah that was Darth 'I am a big pants of fire liar'. He is more or less as crazy as they come.

Also known as the guy who claimed he fixed Empire's campaign AI, then CA came out and specifically said it was hard-coded into the engine and impossible for a modder to change.

He still advertises that as a feature in DarthMod for Empire.

Shasta Orange Soda
Apr 25, 2007

Tomn posted:

I like how he goes on to blame it all on Political Correctness. Apparently the same shadowy cabal of liberal elites who try to stop him from saying the n-word care very deeply about influencing his opinion on the politics of the Mediterranean in 100 A.D.

az
Dec 2, 2005

SeanBeansShako posted:

People have forgotten that his first "mod" was putting stormtroopers and laser rifles into Rome while the rest of us were doing serious projects. :allears:

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

Tomn posted:

To be fair to the TWC forums, it seems like there's a lot of people calling him out for being a nitpicking idiot, but yeah, the few times I've wandered over myself for whatever reason doesn't usually show up much that's better.

Did :agesilaus: get a twcenter account?

Interesting that Macedon is playable this time; in the original wasn't it one of the factions that you couldn't unlock normally?

I do wonder how technology will go in this game though, whether we'll be able to change unit composition entirely. The Roman maniple system is basically flat out better than the hellenistic phalanx, so if the AI has any sense the Macedonian and other successor states will basically be impossible to play by a certain point. Maybe I'm overstating it, but I really do hope we can have Macedonian legionaries with aspis and throwable heads and whatever we want, because otherwise some of the factions that historically didn't have these advances are basically going to lose, period.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

az posted:

People have forgotten that his first "mod" was putting stormtroopers and laser rifles into Rome while the rest of us were doing serious projects. :allears:

TBH, apart from Napoleon, there are better mods for each game (and in Napoleon's case, that's only because the last patch broke most mods and he's one of the few to update his). Not really sure why he has such a large following.

Disclaimer: I know there's that French-named mod for Napoleon, but it never bloody worked for me :colbert:

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Koramei posted:

I really do hope we can have Macedonian legionaries with aspis and throwable heads and whatever we want, because otherwise some of the factions that historically didn't have these advances are basically going to lose, period.

EB and RTR for the first Rome have units for the Greek factions called thureophoroi and thorakitai that are like hybrid phalanx-legionaries that actually existed in history. They were basically lighter phalanxes with throwing javelins.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Koramei posted:

Interesting that Macedon is playable this time; in the original wasn't it one of the factions that you couldn't unlock normally?

I do wonder how technology will go in this game though, whether we'll be able to change unit composition entirely. The Roman maniple system is basically flat out better than the hellenistic phalanx, so if the AI has any sense the Macedonian and other successor states will basically be impossible to play by a certain point. Maybe I'm overstating it, but I really do hope we can have Macedonian legionaries with aspis and throwable heads and whatever we want, because otherwise some of the factions that historically didn't have these advances are basically going to lose, period.

I'm pretty sure that Macedon was one of the factions that you could unlock, also while the Roman infantry will naturally be better at the end of the game Macedon has one big advantage over the Romans and that is their cavalry. Since Roman cavalry was always pretty poo poo and as long as you can hold the Roman infantry back while you butcher their inferior cavalry you should be able to win the battle. So it really shouldn't be impossible to play after a certain date as long as you keep using your advantage in cavalry against the Romans.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Tomn posted:

It's nice for him to immediately out himself as a man who did not study the classical antiquity in Europe, because they sure as gently caress aren't glorified in any of the colleges I've been nor any of the many articles that are required reading.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Lord Tywin posted:

I'm pretty sure that Macedon was one of the factions that you could unlock, also while the Roman infantry will naturally be better at the end of the game Macedon has one big advantage over the Romans and that is their cavalry. Since Roman cavalry was always pretty poo poo and as long as you can hold the Roman infantry back while you butcher their inferior cavalry you should be able to win the battle. So it really shouldn't be impossible to play after a certain date as long as you keep using your advantage in cavalry against the Romans.

I have vague memories of some factions (I know the Carthaginians, for sure) in R:TW1 having a unit that was described as being an attempt to copy the Roman model. Maybe Macedon is one of them? Pretty sure Macedon was one of the unlockables, too, after beating a Roman campaign.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
The Seleucids in vanilla RTW could get "Silver Shield" legionaries, and I think there were a few other factions that could get imitation legionaries as well.

Morton Salt Grrl
Sep 2, 2011

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
FRESH BLOOD

May their memory be a justification for genocide
Numidia (hohoho) had Roman-style legionaries as well, I think.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Koramei posted:

I do wonder how technology will go in this game though, whether we'll be able to change unit composition entirely. The Roman maniple system is basically flat out better than the hellenistic phalanx, so if the AI has any sense the Macedonian and other successor states will basically be impossible to play by a certain point.

Ehhhhh better yes but not insurmountable. And actual dudes on the battlefield is only a part of it, if you outnumber them because your economy is better then they're gonna have trouble exploiting your lack of flexibility. (Also its the AI so odds are it won't be exploiting anything)

I really hope they keep a good rein in on the historical accuracy, leave that poo poo for the crazy mods (also make the game moddable again you fucks :argh: )

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets

RentACop posted:

Ehhhhh better yes but not insurmountable. And actual dudes on the battlefield is only a part of it, if you outnumber them because your economy is better then they're gonna have trouble exploiting your lack of flexibility. (Also its the AI so odds are it won't be exploiting anything)

I really hope they keep a good rein in on the historical accuracy, leave that poo poo for the crazy mods (also make the game moddable again you fucks :argh: )

I dunno, the part of TW games that feels most lacking to me is the late-game for the more tribal and historically less developed cultures. I'd really like to have Scythians and so on that can settle in proper cities and make infrastructure and walls and crap right on the same league as the Mediterranean powers; when you give them a unified empire they'd undoubtedly innovate, there's just nothing in their actual history to put in the game. Alt history all the way! Mods are really the place for hyper-accuracy anyway, the base game is always supposed to be more about fun.

Also this is a completely irrelevant point to everything but I'm still like 90% sure that Macedon was unplayable unless you unlocked it in the text files :shepface:

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Koramei posted:

Also this is a completely irrelevant point to everything but I'm still like 90% sure that Macedon was unplayable unless you unlocked it in the text files :shepface:

Huh. Whaddyaknow - I just checked Wikipedia, and you seem to be right. Whoops.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReV VAdAUL
Oct 3, 2004

I'm WILD about
WILDMAN

Koramei posted:

I dunno, the part of TW games that feels most lacking to me is the late-game for the more tribal and historically less developed cultures. I'd really like to have Scythians and so on that can settle in proper cities and make infrastructure and walls and crap right on the same league as the Mediterranean powers; when you give them a unified empire they'd undoubtedly innovate, there's just nothing in their actual history to put in the game. Alt history all the way! Mods are really the place for hyper-accuracy anyway, the base game is always supposed to be more about fun.

If they could do a centuries out of date non-Hellenic Egypt for RTW there's really no reason at all for them not to do plausible Legionary equivalents for other factions. As for the late game units for tribal cultures the least they could do is some kind of AOR knockoff units from the major power that used to inhabit the area. Have them be recruitable only inthe core regions of said power. With the infrastructure and culture of recruitment and training of such units a conquering force would assimilate it to some degree. While it is somewhat different think of it as something like the Romano-British who managed to keep up Roman traditions in some form after the Romans pulled out.

What happened to the Mongols after conquering China would be a cool model too, though it is hard to see how they'd do it in a TW game.