Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Because all fucking hell is going to break loose

Just finished my dually. Here are the dually spacers I had a buddy machine for me.

I next chopped my 79 Ford body as well as hacked on my Honcho rear cage to leave just a truck bed. I then cut out some thin pinewood on my saw and belt sanded it smooth. It turned out great! This truck is primarily going to be used as a pulling truck as we run a pro-stock diesel truck class designed after the full size pullers. I had it out today on the rocks and it performed great with the dual rears. The best part is it's easy to take everything off and switch it back to "Comanche mode".

All I have to do is cut some pipe to make a short stack coming out of the hood!

EDIT - Forgot to add that I'm working on a weight box for the front of it as well.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 03:57 on Jan 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dr cum patrol esq
Sep 3, 2003

A C A B

:350:
:allears: I love when I see your name as the last poster in this thread.

Mcqueen
Feb 26, 2007

'HEY MOM, I'M DONE WITH MY SEGMENT!'

Soiled Meat
That's so cool.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Thank you guys for the kind words. I just placed a big order yesterday for it for a new set of Maxxis Trepador tires, white steel wagon wheels, and a brand new bumper. The truck is going to use the duals for pulling, and then the old style "farm truck" tires for trailing/comping. Last week we started building our off road park behind the family machine shop. We moves several thousand pounds of rock and started building some cool obstacles. We laid out ground for a pull track and also have the dual stage mud pit sectioned off. I'll post pics this weekend after we get it close to finished.

Something non scaler/crawler related: do you racers think the Duratrax 1/8 E-buggy is ok? They are so cheap that I'm REALLY thinking about picking one of them up to get my racing itch scratched from time to time. Every offroad track around here (3 of them) all has a big turnout of e-buggy so any given weekend I can hop over to a track and run a few rounds. Thanks in advance racin' dudes!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

ColonelJohnMatrix posted:

Something non scaler/crawler related: do you racers think the Duratrax 1/8 E-buggy is ok? They are so cheap that I'm REALLY thinking about picking one of them up to get my racing itch scratched from time to time. Every offroad track around here (3 of them) all has a big turnout of e-buggy so any given weekend I can hop over to a track and run a few rounds. Thanks in advance racin' dudes!

I'd really wait and try to find a deal on a used buggy from one of the main names: AE/Losi/Mugen/Kyosho. Overall quality (stronger plastics, better fitment), performance, parts support and setup info with any of those will be SIGNIFICANTLY better than the Duratrax car. And if you can find a used one, the Tekno EB48 is an amazing ebuggy.

Same deal with electronics. I'd be much more confident in a used Tekin or new MMP since they're so reasonably priced along with a used motor than the RTR stuff that comes with the Duratrax.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
have to agree, quite a few mugen mbx6s are on the market now for cheap since mugen came out with the mbx7, I also would suggest a Tekno EB48 if you can find one for cheap.

ColonelJohnMatrix: that dually is awesome, I grew up watching tractor pulling on tv, always looked like so much fun.

Just got my boyer chassis and hilux cab for my scaler project, just finished ordering a full cab interior as well as the shocks and axles. Next pay i'm looking at cool rims and tires. Thinking of using 1.9 TSL super swampers but has anyone tried those 1.9 pit bull tires? I'm going all out for this scaler so for the rims i'm thinking of RC4WD Dick Cepk 1.9" wheels.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I own (or have owned) most of the good 1.9 tires at one point and my advice is to go with the Pitbulls. They are fantastic. If you are wanting to comp with the truck make sure they are legal though, some clubs don't allow them to run in a 1.9 class because they are really tall. If not the Pitbulls I'd recommend the new Axial Maxxis Trepador tires in R35 compound. The swampers (which are on my dually) perform extremely well but they are a tad bit short. The Trepadors are a bit taller and therefore give you more ground clearance. Stay away from anything RC4WD though unless you just absolutely love the look of a tire. Their tires look cool but perform worse than the Pitbulls, Treps, or TSL's (which are ultra scale and perform at a much higher level).

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

I own (or have owned) most of the good 1.9 tires at one point and my advice is to go with the Pitbulls. They are fantastic. If you are wanting to comp with the truck make sure they are legal though, some clubs don't allow them to run in a 1.9 class because they are really tall. If not the Pitbulls I'd recommend the new Axial Maxxis Trepador tires in R35 compound. The swampers (which are on my dually) perform extremely well but they are a tad bit short. The Trepadors are a bit taller and therefore give you more ground clearance. Stay away from anything RC4WD though unless you just absolutely love the look of a tire. Their tires look cool but perform worse than the Pitbulls, Treps, or TSL's (which are ultra scale and perform at a much higher level).

thanks man, I pretty much ordered every interior detail i could find on RPPhobby for the hilux cab. Really looking forward to paint it up and put it all together. doing a flat black paint job with nice red interior and diamond plate flat bed on the back. My parts can't get here soon enough. :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well this is interesting, good thing I went back to running mod...

http://www.roarracing.com/?p=1842

ROAR Racing posted:

After a great deal of consideration the ROAR Executive Committee has determined that the Trinity D3.5 motor and others based on the D3.5, do not comply with the organization’s required specifications for motors in the 17.5 stock class. The determination is based on the fact that motors being sold are built with wire that’s larger than maximum specification permitted. All of the random samples of the D3.5 based motors during the announced compliance checks tested with wire that’s larger than the maximum dimension. Rule 8.8.4.3.1 states clearly that “The three slotted stator must be wound with 17.5 turns of 2 strands of a maximum diameter of 20AWG or 0.813 mm per slot. A diameter of .813mm is the nominal measurement of 20AWG wire, and that it is the stated maximum wire diameter permitted. It’s on this basis that the Executive Committee made its determination.

The D3.5 and its derivatives have been moping up wins ever since that motor was released. I snagged one not too far after its release and did very well with it. Trinity has a history of pushing rules and has consistently had some of the fastest spec racing motors on the market for a long time. Guess they went a little too far with this one.

It will be interesting to see how both ROAR as a regulatory body and Trinity as a company will handle this situation. Many people are up in arms about this ruling already, and with the Snowbirds onroad race coming up soon racers are going to have to act quick.

What I'm wondering is if there was some running change or variance in tolerance from the Chinese manufacturer that put them over spec? ROAR postponed new spec motor approvals back in early October ( http://www.roarracing.com/?p=1703 ) due to them apparently receiving far more accurate equipment to test with.

Are there other motors out there that will no longer make the cut with their new equipment? When will these results be made public?

Basically, it's a massive clusterfuck and as a race director I'm going to have to deal with people whining about this decision from ROAR, even though we do not follow ROAR rules to a T. In fact, the vast majority of our stock 17.5 racers either have a D3.5 or a Tekin Gen2 motor which is also not approved by ROAR at this time.

Toy cars, serious business :suicide:

On a lighter note, I (with the help of a few awesome local racers) just rebuilt our track for an upcoming points series race :)

If you're ever in Central Iowa come check it out!

antimatt
Sep 12, 2007

ultima ratio regum
^^ looks like an awesome layout, needknees! If I can get back into the groove of this and have a three day weekend, I'd certainly consider the drive to Iowa to race at a quality indoor track!

After many years of not racing, I've got the itch again. I'm living in central Texas, so the major classes here are 4wd Short Course and e-buggy. There are two tracks within a reasonable distance. One of them is quite small and runs mostly 4wd SC, with a smaller group running 1/10th 4wd buggy and some running stock 2wd SC. The other track is a far larger track set up for 1/8th racing where the major classes are 4wd SC and e-buggy, with a recent growth of 1/10th ST, and some people racing gas buggy and truggy.

My question is this: given an extensive budget (I've set aside my spare money for a while, and additionally have a bit of a windfall to put towards this) which should I start with?

I've considered 4wd SC, which would allow me to race at both tracks, but I've got an equal draw to the buggies simply because that's what I started with. I'm partial to Durango (for some unknown reason) but have equally considered everything else so I'm open to suggestions.

I posted earlier in the thread about starting with spec 2wd SC but that class is just about dead in the local area and I'd rather have something that I can race every weekend in the local area, but still be able to travel to Houston or Dallas or anywhere else a state away for regional or national races if I can get back to where I was almost 15 years ago.

Thanks!

antimatt fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Jan 18, 2013

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Funny you bring up the motor thing, as I was on RCTech this morning perusing the local track thread and people are up in arms about it and angry they have to get new motors. We have a Jconcepts winter nationals race next week and lots of "stock" racers with no motors.

Thanks for the advice on the duratrax. Back in my racing days everyone called it Dura-trash so it sounds like that name still holds merit.

antimatt - Around here (St. Louis, MO) those are both the big classes. You can't go wrong either way but in general 4wd SC is going to be a decent amount cheaper.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

I'm going to be comping my scx10 in various events this summer in the 1.9 tire class....and here she is with new tires & wheels and the bronco body. I'm pretty excited with how it turned out. Here's a shot of it at our club track today. We are nearly finished with our scale off-road park!

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I'm going to be comping my scx10 in various events this summer in the 1.9 tire class....and here she is with new tires & wheels and the bronco body. I'm pretty excited with how it turned out. Here's a shot of it at our club track today. We are nearly finished with our scale off-road park!

This popped up on my newsfeed when RPP (and I think Anderson R/C) was tagged in it...great looking ride!

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

antimatt posted:

^^ looks like an awesome layout, needknees! If I can get back into the groove of this and have a three day weekend, I'd certainly consider the drive to Iowa to race at a quality indoor track!

After many years of not racing, I've got the itch again. I'm living in central Texas, so the major classes here are 4wd Short Course and e-buggy. There are two tracks within a reasonable distance. One of them is quite small and runs mostly 4wd SC, with a smaller group running 1/10th 4wd buggy and some running stock 2wd SC. The other track is a far larger track set up for 1/8th racing where the major classes are 4wd SC and e-buggy, with a recent growth of 1/10th ST, and some people racing gas buggy and truggy.

My question is this: given an extensive budget (I've set aside my spare money for a while, and additionally have a bit of a windfall to put towards this) which should I start with?

I've considered 4wd SC, which would allow me to race at both tracks, but I've got an equal draw to the buggies simply because that's what I started with. I'm partial to Durango (for some unknown reason) but have equally considered everything else so I'm open to suggestions.

I posted earlier in the thread about starting with spec 2wd SC but that class is just about dead in the local area and I'd rather have something that I can race every weekend in the local area, but still be able to travel to Houston or Dallas or anywhere else a state away for regional or national races if I can get back to where I was almost 15 years ago.

Thanks!

If you're near Mike's Hobby Shop and have raced before I'd probably recommend 1/8th e buggy. They're awesome to run and that track is supposed to be completely kickass. I've never made it down there but there's a few locals who have made the trek and had nothing but good things to say about the facility. If there's enough left in the budget I'd HIGHLY recommend something like stock 2wd buggy to get your bases covered on classes to run. It's good fun and stock buggy is generally a well populated class.

If you've got the coin set aside I would not skimp out on your setup initially. I know I wasted FAR more money in the long run by trying to ease into things and buying cheap crap initially.

If you're looking at e buggy I would go for the following setup:

Car: Tekno EB48 buggy

Radio: Airtronics M11X (they're blowing those out with the introduction of the M12, can get them very reasonably priced and it's a fantastic radio) or Futaba 4pks

ESC: Viper VTX8 or Tekin RX8

Motor: Tekin 1900kV (for 4s) or 1400kV if you're going 6s

Servo: Savox 1267. Get a Hot Bodies 25t aluminum servo horn. The stock EB48 horn is garbage.

Charger: I've got a Revolectrix Cellpro 10XP and like it quite a bit. The fan is poo poo though, beware. The new Trakpower VR1 is pretty badass when combined with their power supply, but falls a little short if you're going with a high voltage 1/8th setup. It's fine for 4s Otherwise, the Protek 620 Duo is good. Hitec makes a similar one. Get a charger with at least 200w per channel.

Batteries: Here's where you can go a little cheap. Turnigy Nanotech packs have treated me extremely well and are 50-75% cheaper than "name brand" packs.

Hauler bag: Racers Edge 1/8th hauler. I've used the hell out of mine for the last two years and it's held up extremely well. The Team Magic and WingTote haulers are also solid.

Tires: Extremely track dependent. Ask the local fast guys at whatever tracks you're going to be racing at for tire advice before buying random stuff.

If you're looking to put together a package on all this stuff the shop at our track could probably hook you up :). Let me know if you'd like them to get a price quote together for you.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Had my first big run in VTA last night. My car was going pretty fast, faster than what I expected, and was handling quite well.

Until the 7th minute into an 8 minute race where the front end started to feel a little strange, then one of the front wheels went flying off the car. First time I have ever had a wheel nut come off the car, thankfully it wasn't a damaged rim since the HPI vintage rims are hard to find in Australia

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same thing happened to me in my first SC race, except the wheel nut didnt come all the way off, just enough to let the hex spin in the rim and completely ruin it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Same thing happened to me in my first SC race, except the wheel nut didnt come all the way off, just enough to let the hex spin in the rim and completely ruin it.

There is a little bit of damage to rim where the hex sits in, but thankfully not enough to totally ruin it. I've raced RC cars on and off for 10 years and that was the first time I have had a week go off that way. Usually they'll break the rim or a C-hub breaks and shoots the upright and wheel off.

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004
ColonelJohnMatrix: hows that dually doing on the trails? Love that bronco body! Thanks for the advice on the pit bulls, my custom truggys mostly just for trail fun, I'm gonna beef up the scx10 for comp fun if I even enter any.

needknees: funny thing about that D3.5, I have a 8.5 one for my 22sct, i don't really run any roar regulated tracks but it sucks to know if i ever want to travel to one ill have to get a new motor.

also the rc4wd hilux is so loving cool! i dont think ill split it up for the truggy chassis ill use this for the scx10 and grab the Tamiya hilux front cab from rpphobby.

HoWSeR fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 24, 2013

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

HoWSeR posted:

needknees: funny thing about that D3.5, I have a 8.5 one for my 22sct, i don't really run any roar regulated tracks but it sucks to know if i ever want to travel to one ill have to get a new motor.

You're fine with the 8.5t D3.5. Only the 17.5t and its derivatives (maxzilla, 5%, Fantom's version of the motor) were banned by ROAR. The 13.5t spec motor and all the mod motors are a-ok :)

So nitro fever got the best of me again... The fact that Losi 8ight 2.0 kits are being BLOWN OUT right now didn't help. If you're looking for an 1/8th scale and don't mind something that will soon be updated now's the time to hit up your LHS!

Have a nitro truggy on the way... Hopefully I have time to get it built before the next series race this weekend.

needknees fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 24, 2013

HoWSeR
Sep 9, 2004

needknees posted:

You're fine with the 8.5t D3.5. Only the 17.5t and its derivatives (maxzilla, 5%, Fantom's version of the motor) were banned by ROAR. The 13.5t spec motor and all the mod motors are a-ok :)

So nitro fever got the best of me again... The fact that Losi 8ight 2.0 kits are being BLOWN OUT right now didn't help. If you're looking for an 1/8th scale and don't mind something that will soon be updated now's the time to hit up your LHS!

Have a nitro truggy on the way... Hopefully I have time to get it built before the next series race this weekend.

haw perfect, man I love truggys, some of the first rcs as a kid were monster trucks. The idea of a fast big wheeled monster truck just brings a smile to me every time. :)

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I've never been to a ROAR event (and frankly have no plans to), but we use their rules as a 'guideline.' That said, every track & event around where I am has basically responded with a hearty "Up yours, ROAR" and said they'd allow and support Trinity on this. The whole thing stinks anyway and when 1/10 2WD short course tends to have to run on the same track as 1/8 scale stuff, you need all the help you can get.

Our track is pretty lax, so our opinion is if it says 17.5 on it or if it's part of a RTR kit, go for it.

TremorX fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Jan 25, 2013

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The local track here is lax on rules as long as you aren't running near the front. Once you get in A main territory the vehicle needs to be legal lest you be labeled a dirty cheater.

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

So I want to get back into nitro R/Cs. I used to have the original Traxxas T-Maxx back in college and loved it but I kept breaking it and just ran out of money to keep fixing it.

I actually tried to buy one today on eBay and lost - probably for the best...

Honestly not sure if another T-Maxx is really the way to go.

I want something to take with me when I go offroading in the "real" truck and then just mess around with the RC car when I'm done playing with the "real" truck. (This is the kind of place I'm talking about :
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/general-discussions/131159-pine-barrens-nj-wheeling-meet-ups-6.html#post1270604 )

Is a T-Maxx still one of the better trucks? Or a Revo? Or just something else entirely?

I have no interest in racing, just something that can handle some jumps and not need $50 of parts after every single run.

I'm willing to spend up to $600 total - but would really prefer to be under $300 for everything. I do intend to buy used.

FileNotFound fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jan 26, 2013

Diametunim
Oct 26, 2010

antimatt posted:

Thanks!

Seconding the Mikes suggestion, I'm not into R/C too terribly much anymore I usually just browse this thread to :allears:. But anywho, I made the trip out to Mikes a few times when I was into the hobby and it was a fantastic facility. The tracks and pit areas are well kept, there's tons of space for everything and the staff are super friendly.

This thread makes me want to dive back in head first.

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction
Mike's is a pretty great joint. I've never raced there, but I've practiced there a few times. The first time I was there I got a really fantastic personal tour from Mike himself. That dude is hella serious about RC and loves everything about what he's built there. It has a track / testing area for just about every single kind of RC racing you could want. An absolutely massive facility, and apparently Mike has plans to move to a bigger one when the city buys his current setup to widen the highway.

I used to race at IndyRC in Garland but I never felt like I was really welcome. Plus there was this guy that would bring his two kids on a school night and spent his time yelling at them when they would inevitably run around the pit area.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

I am considering buying a used kawada sv10 alcyon, but quickly googling suggests parts may be a nightmare to find. Can anyone confirm this and save me from myself?

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

The Nuremberg Toy Fair is tomorrow and I know of several r/c companies who are set to debut new product. I'm quite excited to see what new releases Tamiya will come out with that I can't afford!

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I've had a peek at the Tamiya stand, their full-size car is pretty awesome (they always have one) and there are a bunch of new smaller exhibitors and a few huge conglomerates that have massive stands. I'm sure it'll all be online before I can post anything, but yeah there are some cool releases to look for.

And unless you're going to make that Kawada a shelf queen, I'd forget about it.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

I've had a peek at the Tamiya stand, their full-size car is pretty awesome (they always have one) and there are a bunch of new smaller exhibitors and a few huge conglomerates that have massive stands. I'm sure it'll all be online before I can post anything, but yeah there are some cool releases to look for.

And unless you're going to make that Kawada a shelf queen, I'd forget about it.

While I understand you can't say anything yet, given my posting history in this thread and the type of RC stuff I'm into....am I going to enjoy the "Adventure" line of products from Horizon that they are debuting?

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
There's something big from Revell coming to RC apparently, but we've been busy getting everything ready, so I haven't been able to wander around much yet, that's all I know so far.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Aceshighxxx posted:

I am considering buying a used kawada sv10 alcyon, but quickly googling suggests parts may be a nightmare to find. Can anyone confirm this and save me from myself?

I've never heard of the brand myself. Best to stick with well known brands, like Associated, Tamiya, Hotbodies/HPI, X Ray or Schumacher for on road stuff. The 3 Racing chassis gets pretty good parts support from Japan/Hong Kong as well.

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

krushgroove posted:

There's something big from Revell coming to RC apparently, but we've been busy getting everything ready, so I haven't been able to wander around much yet, that's all I know so far.

Revell, the model manufacturer? Interesting. The thing I'm talking about is a new Losi scaler truck to compete with the scx10.

EDIT - Someone leaked it.

ColonelJohnMatrix fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jan 30, 2013

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah they've got a few more kits in their Adventure range, a couple of 1/16th scale things (rally/Dakar type), that scaler and a couple others. I haven't had a close look at any of it yet but I'll get over there soonish.

The Revell stuff is toy-level RC, Maisto also have an RC range they're debuting. Nothing new from Axial or Traxxas, haven't seen anything else yet and I'm so far out of the loop with the racing lines that there could be all-new Capricorn and Serpent cars and I'd have no idea.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Serpent is releasing an all new 1/10 offroad buggy that should be on display there. Also announced they are coming out with a full line of 1/10 off road cars. Losi released the 8ight 3.0 and SCTE 2.0. not sure if it was at this event or not but AE announced the T4.2 yesterday. Lots of new stuff to drool over.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Has there been any decent online coverage of the toy fair? My initial googling has been fruitless. It doesn't appear any of the mags are doing anything with it.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This blog always has lots of pictures from the Tamiya booth: http://tamiyablog.com/

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Tamiya ripped off Bigfoot 18/19 pretty bad with that new TXT-2 truck. It's almost like it was supposed to be something else originally (wink).

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Maybe the licensing fee was too high? Tamiya have a lot of licensed bodies but also many generic bodies too. I haven't been on their stand yet but I always love drooling over the dioramas and etched metal bits for their static models.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

I've only ever built two Tamiya models, but they were an absolute delight to build. Everything fit so well and logically, and no detail was compromised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColonelJohnMatrix
Jun 24, 2006

Here is the new 2 speed (shiftable!) rock racer/crawler from Horizon. This loving hobby is going to send me to the poor house.