Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes
Tumblr tends to be pretty bad about it too. I don't follow many people that feel the need to have those huge "gifsets" that people seem to adore (it's mostly webcomic artists), but a handful of those is the difference between a smooth browsing experience and a lovely unreadable page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Got the bookmark fix update. Now I'm seeing this sometimes:

Seems to be related to new posts being posted between refreshes. Refreshing again fixes it. Edit: scrolling also seems to fix it

Also (unrelated), in the popup menu to post an image, the arrow to go "from camera" (to the right) needs hit twice before it works.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
Yeah my fix wasn't much of a fix. I obviously don't entirely understand what's going on there.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Could we get forward and back buttons in the awful browser again for external websites? Sometimes I follow a few links in, and hitting the back that's up there goes back to the thread you followed from, not the previous page.

That said, I like the return of the awful browser :)

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty

Cryptic Edge posted:

That said, I like the return of the awful browser :)

It's back? How do I enable it?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Atarian posted:

It's back? How do I enable it?

It's in 1.10 beta versions that we're testing.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

Could we get forward and back buttons in the awful browser again for external websites?

Definitely on the list.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

New bug to report.

iOS 5.1.1.
Awful 1.10 (though it did do this in 1.9.1 as well if you opened the thread list prior to it displaying the thread, I just assumed it was related to the grey window of uselessness)

When you go to the forums list (not thread list) with the thread window set to always show it does not display the forums, giving a grey window instead. This has happened fairly frequently on further testing, it's fine if you don't change forums often, but if you bounce between a few it's going to be a pain.

Only known workaround is closing (entirely) and reopening app

I'm not seeing this. Can you go into more detail about when this happens? And maybe a screenshot too?

I tried setting "Keep Sidebar Open" to "Always" and the Forums tab always loaded fine, bouncing between forums and subforums and the main list worked great. Had you quit the app after changing the setting?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pokeyman posted:

I'm not seeing this. Can you go into more detail about when this happens? And maybe a screenshot too?

I tried setting "Keep Sidebar Open" to "Always" and the Forums tab always loaded fine, bouncing between forums and subforums and the main list worked great. Had you quit the app after changing the setting?

I'll get you one next time I see it. It doesn't happen all the time, and is more common when I post than anything else. It also lets you go to the favorites or bookmarks sucessfully so I've added the forums I actually use to that list.

As for the rotate for side bar, yes, closing and reopening does make that setting take effect, just not rotating the device like it says on the text under the setting. I've got mine set how I like it now anyway :)

Serifina
Oct 30, 2011

So... dizzy...
I also got the grey/huge bookmark list (iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1). It has only happened once, but it happened immediately after I did a pull-to-refresh at the end of a thread.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

I'll get you one next time I see it. It doesn't happen all the time, and is more common when I post than anything else. It also lets you go to the favorites or bookmarks sucessfully so I've added the forums I actually use to that list.

As for the rotate for side bar, yes, closing and reopening does make that setting take effect, just not rotating the device like it says on the text under the setting. I've got mine set how I like it now anyway :)

Hopefully that way is "show in landscape, hide in portrait", because I'm bailing on the setting. Can't get it to work right.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Serifina posted:

I also got the grey/huge bookmark list (iPad 2, iOS 5.1.1). It has only happened once, but it happened immediately after I did a pull-to-refresh at the end of a thread.

If this is the bug where none of the tabs work, that's fixed :)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

myron cope posted:

Got the bookmark fix update. Now I'm seeing this sometimes:

Seems to be related to new posts being posted between refreshes. Refreshing again fixes it. Edit: scrolling also seems to fix it

Also (unrelated), in the popup menu to post an image, the arrow to go "from camera" (to the right) needs hit twice before it works.

Same things here, picture posting requires two right arrows after choosing the [img] menu option.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pokeyman posted:

Hopefully that way is "show in landscape, hide in portrait", because I'm bailing on the setting. Can't get it to work right.

Yes, but the setting does work as always show as well, provided you set it then force close the app and relaunch. It works, jut doesn't change live, instead changes for the next opening.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Cryptic Edge posted:

Yes, but the setting does work as always show as well, provided you set it then force close the app and relaunch. It works, jut doesn't change live, instead changes for the next opening.

This might be an iOS 5 issue as this feature works as advertised on my mini running iOS 6.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I'd prefer the 'broken' feature vs. not having it at all.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

The youtube-thread in GBS crashes the app pretty consistently. Is that a bug, or is my phone choking on all the videos? (iPhone 4s)

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Prathm posted:

The youtube-thread in GBS crashes the app pretty consistently. Is that a bug, or is my phone choking on all the videos? (iPhone 4s)

Lots of videos shouldn't be crashing the app, so I'd be interested to see a crash log if you have any way to get one. No big deal if you don't know what I'm talking about.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

The Dave posted:

I guess that's the way to go yeah. I'd just spent an hour trying to get it to update live or even on rotate on iOS 5 and came up short.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

pokeyman posted:

Lots of videos shouldn't be crashing the app, so I'd be interested to see a crash log if you have any way to get one. No big deal if you don't know what I'm talking about.

After googling it a little I think I might be able to find it later. Post here or email somewhere?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Prathm posted:

After googling it a little I think I might be able to find it later. Post here or email somewhere?

Email pokeyman@nolanw.ca would be great!

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Dave posted:

I'm in agreement with this one. I'd prefer the choice to stay, even if I have to force close to change it. Force closing isn't a big deal to me sometimes, just frustrating when I have to do it all the time. Ideally someone would set it how they want then never touch it again (or rarely)

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Happened again, same thread as last time. "Bleach Manga Thread 13: Spoiler - Nothing happens."

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pokeyman posted:

Here's the screenshot to go with the previous description of how unpredictable this one is.

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Same as above but on iPhone 4s

Have been getting a transparent grey slide screen randomly on my iPad two I mentioned it earlier but will try to get a screen. Both are 5.1.1

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

TheMightyHandful posted:

Same as above but on iPhone 4s

Mine (iPhone 4S, built myself from the latest source about a day and a half ago) did the same thing for about a day before magically fixing itself.

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Out of curiousity, if it's not on the to do list already: how hard would it be to have a "unhide all spoilers on this page" button?

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
The hard part would be finding a decent place for such a rarely used feature.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Smol posted:

Septuple-tap any spoiler with increasing velocity.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Tap and hold on a spoiler would work.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Shake your phone up and down to reveal spoilers like you're clearing an etch-a-sketch

Dickweasel Alpha
Feb 8, 2011

Mod Secrets #614 - Experto Crede is the one who bought most of those frog avatars
Perform "The Swimmer" with your ios device in your off hand

Currently only available on iPad

TheMightyHandful
Dec 8, 2008

Full Siri integration must be at the top of the list too, huh?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

Smol posted:

I think anyone who frequents any "current" game, movie or comic thread would find a use for it. God knows I could use it in the Walking Dead Game thread.

Even just having a "show spoilers" toggle in the base settings would be pretty cool.

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The browser and []=/: changes work perfectly on 5.1.1

Also like the change to the instructions for the side bar, now there's no confusion and we keep our awesome option.
So far no grey forums list again but I've only been updated for a hour or so.

Edit: never mind on the grey forums list, it's still there lol

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Cryptic Edge posted:

The browser and []=/: changes work perfectly on 5.1.1

Also like the change to the instructions for the side bar, now there's no confusion and we keep our awesome option.
So far no grey forums list again but I've only been updated for a hour or so.

Edit: never mind on the grey forums list, it's still there lol

Do any forums appear in Favorites?

If you go to a bookmarked thread, then scroll down a bit, tap "parent forum", then go back to the Forums tab, does anything appear?

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

pokeyman posted:

Do any forums appear in Favorites?

If you go to a bookmarked thread, then scroll down a bit, tap "parent forum", then go back to the Forums tab, does anything appear?

Favorites continue to work, I don't know if it'll have the same failure if I post from there though. I just reset it again so I'll have to test the others next time. I'll test those each next time and see if they break.

Going to bookmarks then to forums does not fix, but I've not tried refreshing while on bookmarks then back as of yet (I'll try that next failure too)

They do seem most common right after posting, but again, not every time either.

Edit: it decided to give me another shot already lol

Scrolling down or refreshing bookmarks gives no change, testing posting from favorites and going to parent from a thread in both bookmarks and favorites still.

Edit 2: no change on the browsing to parent from bookmarks or parent, remains grey and unusable, favorites remains useable at all times so far, not sure if it's just not hit it yet but I'll not reset tonight for as long as possible and see if it does crop there as well.

Edit 3:

The favorites bar does eventually break should you exit the app but not force close it (at least with the grey bar issue going on)

Edit 4: for reference, here's my normal favorites bar after a fresh relaunch

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 19, 2013

Cryptic Edge
Aug 4, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
New bug unrelated to the grey bar of uselessness

If you start to post, hit the reply button and cancel the confirmation you can no longer select text. You can continue to type, but not move the typing point to an earlier spot, nor select anything. It's fine if you didn't finish the thought/accidentally hit the button, but if you realized on rereading you made a typo you can't correct it without posting then editing it.

Once again, iOS 5.1.1, original iPad, jail broken, no odd hacks.

Also there's this

Yes, that's the profile page forcing landscape when in portrait mode.

Cryptic Edge fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Jan 19, 2013

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

I normally only read bookmarked threads, but I tested to see if I could replicate the grey forum and ta-da!

Edit: 1.10 #8, iPad mini, 6.0.2

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yep, I'm seeing the blank grey forums list too. iPad 3, latest beta, iOS 6.0.1.

• Locked thread