Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

AlistairCookie posted:

Crane, if your girlfriend is frustrated that she can't take her kids somewhere without them acting up, then you two should work on a plan of New Parenting Action together. The definition of insanity is doing the same thing and expecting a different result. You need to unwind the bad behavior and bad precedent that has been set, and put new rules with consequences in place. After some unhappiness and having to take a hard line, they will get that when they do A, B happens, and get with the program.

Our daughter is still a little young for it, but a lot of people swear by the "1,2,3...Magic" discipline book. The focus is on clear expectations, timeouts as punishments and creating a mutually respectful relationship with kids.

Suggest that you and your girlfriend read it together and see if it clicks with the two of you. If you like the style, there's also DVDs and classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

I think we are using standard little movers huggies right now and we have been using a size up, thinking a bigger diaper will hold more pee.

I will talk to my wife in the morning and start taking a look around for some night time diapers and give a few a shot. Thanks for the advice, it is really appreciated.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Rythe posted:

I think we are using standard little movers huggies right now and we have been using a size up, thinking a bigger diaper will hold more pee.

I will talk to my wife in the morning and start taking a look around for some night time diapers and give a few a shot. Thanks for the advice, it is really appreciated.

Fisher Price also makes night ones, they actually sell either day time packs, night time packs, or a big box with a bunch of day ones and a smaller number of night ones. I used those for a while, but then the store I was buying them from stopped carrying them which left only Babies R Us as a local supplier for me, and BRU is really overpriced.

FWIW, my son is generally a Huggies or Kirkland (Costco brand) kid, Pampers and Luvs have always leaked during the day, but I did get a few packs of the Pampers night ones (Extra Protection, I think they're called) a few times and they seemed to work just as well as the Huggies Overnights - I guess because he doesn't move around so much at night, so the fit around the leg doesn't matter as much.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Okay, so my daughter is about 5 months old. She eats really well all day, but we're running into a problem where the only way she will go back to sleep at night if she wakes up is if we feed her. This wouldn't be a big deal except she is still waking up four or five times a night, and it is getting to the point where she will blaze through three 8oz bottles by morning.

Feeding her cereal before bed doesn't help. She drinks so much at night that even with overnight diapers, she will still pee through them just by sheer volume if we don't change her half way through the night.

I'd really like to get her sleeping through the night, but with how inconsolable she is when she wakes up until food happens, I feel like she's probably picked up a bad habit that's going to be hard to break. Any ideas? Because right now it feels like my only option is to never sleep more than an hour and a half at a time ever again.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

raaaan posted:

Okay, so my daughter is about 5 months old. She eats really well all day, but we're running into a problem where the only way she will go back to sleep at night if she wakes up is if we feed her. This wouldn't be a big deal except she is still waking up four or five times a night, and it is getting to the point where she will blaze through three 8oz bottles by morning.

Feeding her cereal before bed doesn't help. She drinks so much at night that even with overnight diapers, she will still pee through them just by sheer volume if we don't change her half way through the night.

I'd really like to get her sleeping through the night, but with how inconsolable she is when she wakes up until food happens, I feel like she's probably picked up a bad habit that's going to be hard to break. Any ideas? Because right now it feels like my only option is to never sleep more than an hour and a half at a time ever again.

Are you sure she's getting enough during the day? Drinking so much and so frequently during the night suggests she's not getting enough during the day, despite what you suggest. Adding cereal to a bottle to help sleep is outdated advice, it won't do anything. Try loading her up in the three or so hours before bed especially. Finally, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a 5 month old to sleep completely through the night. Babies wake up at night for a million reasons--gas, teething, loud noise, wet diaper, hungry, growth spurt, illness, light sleeper, the alignment of the moon and Jupiter, etc. You might want to mentally aim for one or two wake-ups during the night instead.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Brennanite posted:

Are you sure she's getting enough during the day? Drinking so much and so frequently during the night suggests she's not getting enough during the day, despite what you suggest. Adding cereal to a bottle to help sleep is outdated advice, it won't do anything. Try loading her up in the three or so hours before bed especially. Finally, I think it's a bit unrealistic to expect a 5 month old to sleep completely through the night. Babies wake up at night for a million reasons--gas, teething, loud noise, wet diaper, hungry, growth spurt, illness, light sleeper, the alignment of the moon and Jupiter, etc. You might want to mentally aim for one or two wake-ups during the night instead.

Sorry, I meant that I would *eventually* like her to sleep through the night. Cutting down to less than four or five would be beautiful.

She's a big kid and she really does eat all day. She has about three to four 8oz bottles during the day, and a big portion of cereal and bananas in a bowl (we're not adding it to a bottle) with a spoon in the evening (okayed by her doctor). She weighs over 20lbs and is wearing size 5 diapers, and clothes meant for 12-18 months. She's hitting all of her milestones early and is gaining weight at a really steady clip. I really don't think that not getting enough during the day is the issue, and I'm more on the side of it being a comfort thing for her. I didn't mention it before because it slipped my mind, but she has zero interest in a pacifier and we gave up on trying to get her to take one to sooth at about 4.5 months.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

What's she doing when she wakes up at night? How long do you wait before you go get her? On the rare occasion one of our kids would wake up in the middle of the night we would always give them a least a few minutes to settle back down before we went in there.

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

skipdogg posted:

What's she doing when she wakes up at night? How long do you wait before you go get her? On the rare occasion one of our kids would wake up in the middle of the night we would always give them a least a few minutes to settle back down before we went in there.

She will usually wake up and immediately start loudly crying. We give her a few minutes before we go over to her. Rubbing her back, talking or singing to her and even picking her up the few times we tried it do nothing, but the bottle is instant silence. She'll drink for a few minutes, in which she drains about half a bottle, then sleep. Repeat 5+ times.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
That all sounds within the range of normal to me. In my experience, some kids are sleepers and some are not. You just roll with it and do what you have to do to get everyone some sleep.

http://kellymom.com/parenting/nighttime/sleepstudies/

quote:

Only 16% slept through the night at six months old — 84% were not sleeping through the night at 6 months
17% woke more than once per night, ranging from twice to eight times
5% woke once every night
9% woke most nights
50% woke occasionally
16% of six-month-olds had no regular sleeping pattern

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
Speaking of sleeping through the night, my guy is 6 months old and breastfed. I wake him once or twice during the night to feed him, because I get engorged, and the discomfort wakes me up. I spend 20 minutes or so feeding him and then we both go back to bed.

Do other breastfeeding mothers do that? Everytime someone finds out that that's how we do it, they act like it's weird or that it might be bad for me to be waking him up. Even the pediatrician acts like it's weird and not ideal. She doesn't specifically say "don't do that," but she always tells me it might be better if I pumped instead of waking him. He's also pretty small for his age (consistently less than the 10th percentile since birth), so I figure he could probably use the extra calories.

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
The general rule is that you can stop waking them to feed during the night once they've reached their birth weight, which usually happens within a couple weeks of birth. If you keep waking him to feed, you're telling your body that you need to keep producing all that milk. I'd pump some off to relieve pressure, or hand express some and let the kid sleep, and hopefully your breasts will regulate your supply down to stop getting engorged during the night.

Brennanite
Feb 14, 2009

raaaan posted:

She will usually wake up and immediately start loudly crying. We give her a few minutes before we go over to her. Rubbing her back, talking or singing to her and even picking her up the few times we tried it do nothing, but the bottle is instant silence. She'll drink for a few minutes, in which she drains about half a bottle, then sleep. Repeat 5+ times.

Normally I'd suggest a pacifier, but you said she didn't like those. Maybe try a differently-shaped one or one made of a different material? You could also try having the baby in bed with you. It seemed to help the baby sleep better and it certainly helped me. You could tag-team as well. One parent takes one-half of the night, one parent takes the other.

I wish I had better advice. Waking up that often turned me into a zombie. If it's any consolation, my son eventually grew out of such frequent wake-ups and now sleeps through the night in his own crib in his own room (he's fifteen months).

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012
I don't know if it's kosher or not to ask about your friends' kids here. I apologize and will delete if it isn't! If it helps, she did actually ask my advice. I promise I'm not the childless friend with a million things to say. :ohdear:

Either way, my friend has a 18 month old who has... well, aggression problems. He pinches, hits, throws his toys directly at people (mostly when his mom is driving, which you can imagine is a huge problem.) I don't live near her anymore, so I don't know where he gets it from. She's claiming that time-outs don't do anything for him, because he sincerely has been a very active child and never sits still/has a quiet moment. He's loving one, so I understand that part. Kids are loud and busy. But kids shouldn't hit.

Anyone with experience on this? It's really stressing my friend out and I hate seeing her like this. :(

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

MNSNTZR posted:

I don't know if it's kosher or not to ask about your friends' kids here. I apologize and will delete if it isn't! If it helps, she did actually ask my advice. I promise I'm not the childless friend with a million things to say. :ohdear:

Either way, my friend has a 18 month old who has... well, aggression problems. He pinches, hits, throws his toys directly at people (mostly when his mom is driving, which you can imagine is a huge problem.) I don't live near her anymore, so I don't know where he gets it from. She's claiming that time-outs don't do anything for him, because he sincerely has been a very active child and never sits still/has a quiet moment. He's loving one, so I understand that part. Kids are loud and busy. But kids shouldn't hit.

Anyone with experience on this? It's really stressing my friend out and I hate seeing her like this. :(

Well, the obvious thing is to put the toys into time out. You throw a thing, it is gone for a while (20 minutes, 24 hours, a week, whatever). Address the ammunition supply. Though it is a 1 year old, no amount of sitting down and talking it out like adults is going to help the thing, just don't let him have things to throw in the car, and remove whatever is proximal to the problem. Throw things? things go away. Pinch people? people go away untill you can calm down.

I doubt this is indicative of a lifelong problem. Year and a half olds do some poo poo, but they are unlikely to be doing the same poo poo in 6 months.

I had a biter, and the thing we did was to watch him like a hawk when he was in range, because he had a tell, like an old video game. Whenever he reared his head back, you know a bite is coming, so you dodge. And whenever he tried, he got put down, told 'biting hurts, we can't play if you bite'. After a few months, his 1 year old tricks became 2 year old tricks, and that problem went away, to be replaced with something different. Repeat, every six months to a year, for the next 22-25 years.

Slo-Tek fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jan 18, 2013

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Her pediatrician should be able to help her with some kind of literature recommendation for how to deal with this.

One idea off the top of my head, flip the car seat back around rear facing. Throw toys all you want at the back of the seat. Kids don't have to be forward facing at that age (not to start the car seat war).

Does the child get any kind of exercise? It's hard to be a little badass when you just ran non stop at the park for an hour and are exhausted. The hitting and pinching are usually picked up somewhere. Usually daycare from another kid.

edit: slo-tek has great advice. Remove things from the situation. I forgot to even mention it but it works really well on my kids. You throw the 60 dollar dancing Mickey Mouse granny gave you on the floor? Well it gets put away in the closet, you can have it back tomorrow. When I give it back, I tell them "Remember, don't throw or else it goes away again".

My almost 3 year old is pushing every button I have these days... it doesn't get better as they get older.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 18, 2013

MNSNTZR
Oct 13, 2012

skipdogg posted:

Does the child get any kind of exercise?

No, and it's killing me. He was born a big boy to a similar (single) mom. She's in her very early twenties, so she's working a million jobs. Not too much time for baby exercise, I imagine.

I'm only speculating, but what he eats along with lack of exercise could have something to do with his activity. She lets him drink her soda and eat her Taco Bell, and it makes me want to slap the piss out of her. I don't want to be that rear end in a top hat friend with the constant "don't do that", though. :sigh:

Slo-Tek posted:

Throw things? things go away.

That's actually pretty cool advice, thank you. I imagine that he's pinching and hitting on mom as well, though. Does the same thing apply, or?

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

MNSNTZR posted:

That's actually pretty cool advice, thank you. I imagine that he's pinching and hitting on mom as well, though. Does the same thing apply, or?

Sure, but it isn't like you have to punish for any length of time. Just interrupt the stimulation that is causing the current problem. If your kid starts playing rough with you, put the kid down/out of reach, say "you are playing too rough, and we can't do that" leave him there to contemplate his sins for a minute or two, then back to happy family time. No need or reason to punish for long periods of time, just enough to make it clear that the nasty thing he does ends playtime.

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006
Another sleeping question (is there something in the water at the moment?).

My son is 7 months old, is very difficult to get to sleep during the day to the point that only a walk in his pushchair or a car ride will get him down. He gets to sleep okay at bedtime but God help us if he wakes up, which he does 2-3 times every night, as he will not settle and go back to sleep. Using last night as an example:

8pm - asleep
10:30pm - woke up, didn't get settled in his crib until gone 2am. My wife did have him asleep on her lap in the living room for a bit, he'd wake up every time just as she started putting him back into the crib.
4:30am - woke up again. My turn to look after him, after calming him down he spent 40 mins dead to the world on my lap, woke up exactly as I started putting him into his crib.
6am - Mum gave him a feed and he had a sleep on her lap until she managed to get him settled in his crib at 7am. He woke up for good at 8am this morning.

My gut feeling, to mix metaphors, is that we are at the epicentre of a perfect storm. He's teething, we are weaning him, he's a very windy baby at night and he's got a snotty nose. We're rubbing infant bongela into his gums for the teeth, we are trying a new flavour for a few days at a time with weaning - butternut squash at the moment, he loves it! We've been trying to give him tummy rubs for wind, but he mostly doesn't want to know about them - we are planning to try cool boiled water as I think I'd read somewhere that it can help? And finally we are using an infant saline spray for his nose. If he's particularly grumpy then we give him a dose of calpol.

Feeding: ignoring night-time soothing, he's currently fed 4 times a day. At about 8am/9am, midday, 4pm/5pm and bedtime at ~7:30pm. He'll normally feed for about an hour a go, including a sleep. He's getting breastfed straight from the source except at lunchtime where he'll get a dose of milk from one boob then his puree followed by the second boob if he wants it. He's 17lb 11oz at the moment and slap bang in the 50th percentile on the growth chart.

We occasionally give him a dummy to sooth him, but because he's snotty he spits it out. I've heard breathing helps!

Any suggestions/ideas/help much appreciated. My wife has vetoed my idea of a a button that raised perspex sides and roof onto his crib and turns it into a bond villain style knock-out gas chamber...

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Have you tried putting him down to sleep an hour earlier? And maybe feeding more often during the day?

What sort of routine do you have going for naps and nighttime? It takes a little while for them to take effect, but I think it's worth it. Each child is different in what works for them--a lot of people like baths before bedtime, but every single time we do that for Kosta, he has a huge royal meltdown while getting dried off, so it's not worth it.

Does he have a lovey? We introduced one (small & firmly-stuffed) at about 6 months. I stuck it in my shirt for a while so it'd smell like me, then had him hold it while I nursed him, and put him in the crib still holding it. We chose a bunny and he liked chewing and sucking on the ears instead of a paci.

edit: are you in Australia or NZ? Careful on the gel, it could be giving him more tummy upset. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/teething-gel-danger-for-infants/story-fn6bm90q-1226005032121

Ben Davis fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Jan 19, 2013

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Ben Davis posted:

Have you tried putting him down to sleep an hour earlier? And maybe feeding more often during the day?
Could be worth a try. We've been paranoid about moving bedtime forward any more as we normally eat dinner about 6pm to 7pm and my wife is worried about him getting a crank on and her not being able to sit down for dinner until it's gone cold.

I'll suggest more feedings. We currently have 3 plus 1 at bedtime, how many would you suggest during the day?

Ben Davis posted:

What sort of routine do you have going for naps and nighttime? It takes a little while for them to take effect, but I think it's worth it. Each child is different in what works for them--a lot of people like baths before bedtime, but every single time we do that for Kosta, he has a huge royal meltdown while getting dried off, so it's not worth it.
Naps basically don't happen unless he's in the car or on a walk in his pushchair. My wife has tried putting him down and letting him cry it out but she only lasted 10 minutes before giving up, we've since found out that crying it out isn't too good for the baby so we are glad we didn't try and persevere with it.
Bed time routine is Nappy change, into sleepsuit, into sleeping bag, feed from Mum and (hopefully) into the crib. He enjoys his bath but hates getting out so we don't include that in his bedtime routine.

Ben Davis posted:

Does he have a lovey? We introduced one (small & firmly-stuffed) at about 6 months. I stuck it in my shirt for a while so it'd smell like me, then had him hold it while I nursed him, and put him in the crib still holding it. We chose a bunny and he liked chewing and sucking on the ears instead of a paci.

We've literally just introduced him to bedtime bear in the last few days. I'll suggest giving it mummy-smell and using it during feeds - would keep little hands from grabbing mummy's boobs during the feed too. So far the poor bear has been tossed around like a seal being attacked by killer whales.

Ben Davis posted:

edit: are you in Australia or NZ? Careful on the gel, it could be giving him more tummy upset. http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/teething-gel-danger-for-infants/story-fn6bm90q-1226005032121
Thanks for the warning, but we are in the UK so the salicylate stuff isn't in our bonjela, plus we only use a small pea-sized amount a couple of times a day.

Edit: forgot to say earlier, some nights after he's woken up we can happily pop him back in his crib while awake and he'll nod off to sleep all by himself. Then other nights he'll scream blue murder if you try doing that. Even some nights if we wait until he's in a deep sleep - regular breathing, limp arms, open hands etc. - we'll carry him to the crib fine with him laying on his back in our arms. Then either as soon as we start lowering him into the crib or as soon as his body touches the mattress he wakes up and starts screaming.

Mr Darcy fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Jan 19, 2013

car dance
May 12, 2010

Ben is actually an escaped polar bear, posing as a human.

Unlikely because Polar Bears do not know how to speak.
Also it does not make any sense.
Anyone who is having sleeping issues: we just went through a period with our daughter who previously would actually allow us to place her in the bed completely awake to fall asleep where she decided she didn't want to sleep unless someone was holding her. It went like this for over a month that she would not sleep anywhere except in arms. Even if she was completely asleep, she'd wake up and cry if you put her down. She was getting something like 3 teeth at once, then another tooth after that. We were switching her mostly over to solids as she's almost 11 months old. All of this took about two months. But eventually she started letting us put her down asleep.

Last night, she woke up while I was moving her to her crib and then just looked at me and closed her eyes and went back to sleep. So there's hope -- eventually your baby will sleep in a crib on their own. But there will probably be regressions and annoying things that happen since s/he is going through so much growth themselves. I guess the best suggestion I had is just do what causes you the least stress -- if the baby wakes up multiple times and won't go back to sleep unless s/he's fed, feed that baby. If the baby won't sleep unless you're holding him/her, hold that baby. Eventually things will go back to normal.

hookerbot 5000
Dec 21, 2009
I've found that any time Connor has a blocked nose sleeping through the night pretty much goes out the window. He has a dummy but as mentioned not being able to breathe with one in makes it less of a comfort and more of a torture device, and he's not really got the hang of sniffing so he wakes up with snot all over his face which makes him pretty sad.

I think waiting until his cold has passed to get serious about trying different things might be easier as otherwise you might be fighting a losing battle.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
A friend of mine just had a baby (5 days old) and has asked for more swaddling blankets. Other than buying flannel and hemming it myself, what are the favorite swaddlers in here? She said at least 32" was needed.

Also, while I'm heading over there, I plan to take disposable plates/napkins/silverware and some food. What kinds of food would have been most useful to you immediately after getting home from the hospital? I've also found over and over that the most helpful thing is to hand over the stuff, coo over the baby, and get the hell out of dodge. Alternately, only stay if I can do something useful like start a load of laundry, put the food I cooked in the oven and set the table, start the dishwasher, etc. Which of these is a better option?

x-posting to the pregnancy thread.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

I personally only really liked the larger blankets like the Aden & Anais (muslin, 47x47) or Carter's (flannel, 30x40). This does not include the Carter's blankets at Target which are only 30x30.

Standard size is 30x30 and I found that he outgrew them outrageously fast if they weren't at least 40 inches.

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!

Mnemosyne posted:

I personally only really liked the larger blankets like the Aden & Anais (muslin, 47x47) or Carter's (flannel, 30x40). This does not include the Carter's blankets at Target which are only 30x30.

Standard size is 30x30 and I found that he outgrew them outrageously fast if they weren't at least 40 inches.

I have yards and yards of unbleached cotton muslin. Would this work as swaddling blankets if cut to size and hemmed, or is that a different type of fabric?

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Valdara posted:

I have yards and yards of unbleached cotton muslin. Would this work as swaddling blankets if cut to size and hemmed, or is that a different type of fabric?

The ones I have are muslin, but they don't feel like the same sort of muslin you get from a fabric store. They're sort of thinner and stretchy. I don't know anything about this brand or this site, but this is a good picture representing the type of fabric they're made from.

Edit: the muslin I used was for making sausage so it was thicker. If its a thinner muslin with some stretchiness to it, it could possibly work.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

Valdara posted:

I have no idea. Theoretically, I think it would work, but I've never looked at muslin in a fabric store, so I have no idea if it's the same or not.

Checking these two links:
http://thecraftingchicks.com/2012/09/diy-muslin-swaddle-blankets.html
http://www.danamadeit.com/2012/03/celebrate-baby-tutorial-gauzey-swaddle-blankets.html

says that what they sell in the stores isn't the same. Apparently what you need to buy from the fabric store would be labelled "gauze." The only thing I can give you to go on is that the Aden and Anais blankets are just a step away from being cheesecloth.

FretforyourLatte
Sep 16, 2010

Put you in my oven!

Valdara posted:

A friend of mine just had a baby (5 days old) and has asked for more swaddling blankets. Other than buying flannel and hemming it myself, what are the favorite swaddlers in here? She said at least 32" was needed.

We were big fans of the Halo SleepSack Swaddle. It has velcro to get a nice snug swaddle easily. Obviously more pricey than just getting blankets but I never could get the hang of swaddling.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Hi, thread. Posted in here a couple of times, but I thought I'd introduce Amelia. She's 13 months old, and this pic of her having just caked herself in chocolate custard is the most recent I could find. She's not walking yet, but her speech is developing nicely. She's a proper assertive little madam when she wants to be, though we're starting to assert boundaries a bit so she gets used to the idea that she can't always have everything her own way.

She's a very good-natured little girl and adores music, our dog Dylan and passing me stuff I don't need.

Valdara posted:

We ended up using grobags, like the ones here. They're nice and convenient, look cute and you don't have the worry that they might come loose and end up over the baby's face (though that risk is of course much less severe with the little breathing holes baby blankets have). Plus you can use them long after swaddling age. Amelia still sleeps in one.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Valdara posted:

I really loved the Halo Sleepsacks as mentioned above (with the wrap piece), the Swaddle Pod by Summer Infant and the woombie as my son will not stay swaddled in a blanket. However, I do love the A&A blankets as actual blankets.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

bamzilla posted:

I really loved the Halo Sleepsacks as mentioned above (with the wrap piece), the Swaddle Pod by Summer Infant and the woombie as my son will not stay swaddled in a blanket. However, I do love the A&A blankets as actual blankets.

Yeah, my son wouldn't stay swaddled with any kind of blanket. We were big fans of the Halo Sleep Sacks with the swaddle piece. He was an epic puker though, so we used swaddling blankets as drop cloths.

Crane
Jun 10, 2004

:chord:

Poison Cake posted:

Our daughter is still a little young for it, but a lot of people swear by the "1,2,3...Magic" discipline book. The focus is on clear expectations, timeouts as punishments and creating a mutually respectful relationship with kids.

Suggest that you and your girlfriend read it together and see if it clicks with the two of you. If you like the style, there's also DVDs and classes.

Thank you very much, I would like to sit down with her and go through something like that.

Slo-Tek posted:

...that problem went away, to be replaced with something different. Repeat, every six months to a year, for the next 22-25 years.
My little brother still bites and hits me, but that's usually after he's drunk and his wife is busy hiding the roman candles...

Crane fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 21, 2013

Poison Cake
Feb 15, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

Sure, but it isn't like you have to punish for any length of time. Just interrupt the stimulation that is causing the current problem. If your kid starts playing rough with you, put the kid down/out of reach, say "you are playing too rough, and we can't do that" leave him there to contemplate his sins for a minute or two, then back to happy family time. No need or reason to punish for long periods of time, just enough to make it clear that the nasty thing he does ends playtime.

This exactly. A minute or so interruption is all his attention span can really handle at this age and will get the idea across.

Also, if he knows he can get positive attention in other ways, he'll be much less likely to engage in negative attention getting behavior. I'm thinking active positive play may be a good idea especially, like swinging him around (don't hold him by his hands!), walking with him while he pushes his walker, etc.

MoCookies
Apr 22, 2005

car dance posted:

But there will probably be regressions and annoying things that happen since s/he is going through so much growth themselves. I guess the best suggestion I had is just do what causes you the least stress -- if the baby wakes up multiple times and won't go back to sleep unless s/he's fed, feed that baby. If the baby won't sleep unless you're holding him/her, hold that baby. Eventually things will go back to normal.

I totally agree with this. Good or bad, it's all temporary. I'm learning to go with the flow and not to take the bad days too personally, or as a indictment of my parenting skills. I will admit to wanting to slap people whose first question about Nolan is "Does he sleep through the night?" Sore subject around here. I can practically name the day that Nolan stopped falling to sleep on his own (as soon as he could roll over at 4 months old), and it's been a struggle to get him to sleep peacefully ever since then. Things work for a few weeks, and then it's back to the drawing board once he's over that phase and trying to find something else that works. Thank goodness for baby carriers though, they've induced many naps and helped us ease into bedtime many nights.

Prophaniti
Oct 2, 2008

Do you lie awake at night fearing my gash?
Our 7 month old hasn´t learned to sleep in his own bed and we´re planning to teach him during the next few weeks. Usually he stays up till 2200 and heads to bed with us, I know we´re terrible parents. His sleep patterns involve 2 really steady naptimes during the day from around 1000 to 1200 and second at 1500 to 1700 approx. At night he sleeps with one or two feeding breaks, those are fine mum doesn´t mind and I sleep through anything.

He eats puré and mash sometimes fruit and veggies cut in small pieces.

We plan to feed him dinner at around 1900, lots of starch, veggies and a glass of water, to fill him up. His little teeth clattering eagerly on the glass while drinking is the best thing ever.

A quick diaperchange and putting on his nighttime clothes and he should be ready to be tucked in at around 2000. Singing him songs/reading his nighttime book to calm him down.

We hope to use the tactic of leaving the room, when hes groggy and enter if he really cries, pick him up and put him back down before he falls asleep, as adviced by a sleepcoach.

Do you people see any faults in this plan, should we change something to make the transition smoother for babyliam?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Prophaniti posted:

Our 7 month old hasn´t learned to sleep in his own bed and we´re planning to teach him during the next few weeks. Usually he stays up till 2200 and heads to bed with us, I know we´re terrible parents. His sleep patterns involve 2 really steady naptimes during the day from around 1000 to 1200 and second at 1500 to 1700 approx. At night he sleeps with one or two feeding breaks, those are fine mum doesn´t mind and I sleep through anything.

He eats puré and mash sometimes fruit and veggies cut in small pieces.

We plan to feed him dinner at around 1900, lots of starch, veggies and a glass of water, to fill him up. His little teeth clattering eagerly on the glass while drinking is the best thing ever.

A quick diaperchange and putting on his nighttime clothes and he should be ready to be tucked in at around 2000. Singing him songs/reading his nighttime book to calm him down.

We hope to use the tactic of leaving the room, when hes groggy and enter if he really cries, pick him up and put him back down before he falls asleep, as adviced by a sleepcoach.

Do you people see any faults in this plan, should we change something to make the transition smoother for babyliam?

That sounds alot like our kid's sleep habits. We cut out the second nap and now he goes to sleep much earlier, and even makes it through the night most times.

Prophaniti
Oct 2, 2008

Do you lie awake at night fearing my gash?
That sounds great I´m a bit anxious as we start this evening. Whats the age of your child?

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
15 months now. We started him in the crib about 9 months.

skeetied
Mar 10, 2011
Has anyone dealt with chronic ear infections? If so, did you opt for ear tubes? My almost one year old is on his sixth ear infection since Thanksgiving and we're exploring our options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

skeetied posted:

Has anyone dealt with chronic ear infections? If so, did you opt for ear tubes? My almost one year old is on his sixth ear infection since Thanksgiving and we're exploring our options.

Tubes are a godsend. My 1 year old is on his first set, my 3 year old needed 2 sets before her eustachian tubes had normal function.

Just from a quality of life perspective for you kid, 6 ear infections in less than 3 months... poor thing must be miserable. Ear infections are very painful. My daughter would scream in pain for hours before her tubes were put in. We had my sons put in after 3 ear infections in 2 months with the family history of ear problems.

I would highly suggest talking to an ENT pronto and getting the tubes put in.