Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

longview posted:

These are the same people who want to stretch 4:3 to 16:9 so they can get their money's worth.

this should be a legally permissible reason to do a murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

longview posted:

These are the same people who want to stretch 4:3 to 16:9 so they can get their money's worth.

the most rage inducing thing

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
maybe your autism about other peoples media enjoyment would be a little better tempered by thinking of it as stretching 12:9 to 16:9

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

#woah #wow

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

ahmeni posted:

maybe your autism about other peoples media enjoyment would be a little better tempered by thinking of it as stretching 12:9 to 16:9

maybe if stretching 12:9 to 16:9 didnt cut off 4:9 of the video, then yeah

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I wonder if the 4K TV sets shown at CES have a barco like scaler built in so you're actually getting your $20,000 worth.

ya right

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

maybe if stretching 12:9 to 16:9 didnt cut off 4:9 of the video, then yeah

its not authentic old person behavior unless its completely stretched to fit 16:9 without cutting anything off, poo poo all stretched wide

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

ahmeni posted:

its not authentic old person behavior unless its completely stretched to fit 16:9 without cutting anything off, poo poo all stretched wide

aw no and our stupid brains wont be able to deal with it and we wont know what is going on

face it - people still enjoyed movies in the 80s on the 14" CRTs

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Remember when Phillips tried to sell 21:9 cinemascope TVs?

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1232448072

imagine the olds that would stretch the 4:3 image out on that BLUALRUARROGOGOHGHO

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I find it funny that all the ~tech blogs~ said that Sony had pseudo announced the only 4k delivery system for watching movies and to look for more details later, but RED announced RED RAY and their 4K content delivery system ODEMAX using their .RED codec almost a month before CES

I was just nerding out about it because how are they going to fit 4K video into a 20MBPS stream. it's less than BLU-RAY and HEVC isn't even out yet.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pagancow posted:

I was just nerding out about it

me too

sports
Sep 1, 2012
4:3

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
1:1 supremacy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
whatever aspect ratio 70mm film is supremacy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
16:9 but really 4:3 actual resolution and nonsquare 4:3 pixels supremacy. Oh wait, no, gently caress you i-sight camera.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Silver Alicorn posted:

whatever aspect ratio 70mm film is supremacy

it's about 20:9 and yeah owns

movax
Aug 30, 2008

what aspect ratio will our ocular implants end up using

(its 4:3)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
48:3 ridiculousness supremacy

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!

pagancow posted:

Remember when Phillips tried to sell 21:9 cinemascope TVs?

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1232448072

imagine the olds that would stretch the 4:3 image out on that BLUALRUARROGOGOHGHO

I only remember it because of the cool as heck commercial they made for them

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ3D4CqHbJM

Also 219 bitch

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

666:616

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
219:1 :smug:

sports
Sep 1, 2012

21:19

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

it's about 20:9 and yeah owns

i thought unmatted 70mm was still academy ratio

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i'm trying to watch a movie with my family because i'm going to be all like :smug: check out my blu ray high def setup :smug:

loving ps3 requires hour long update before _THIS_ blu-ray can play

fml

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

pagancow posted:

i'm trying to watch a movie with my family because i'm going to be all like :smug: check out my blu ray high def setup :smug:

loving ps3 requires hour long update before _THIS_ blu-ray can play

fml

i hate to say "asking for it" but optical media in tyool 2013, smdh

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
also nice "broadband" that downloads at less than gigabit speeds

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Detroit Q. Spider posted:

i thought unmatted 70mm was still academy ratio

It seems to be 2.20:1 I don't know if that's academy ratio or not.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

wow in the middle of the movie it popped up a message that said "IM TURNING OFF SOON"

~my movie immersion~

its great that sony thinks this is a good user experience or doesn't even care....

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

also nice "broadband" that downloads at less than gigabit speeds

now try streaming a movie through that. boy howdy, i sure love 720p with stereo sound

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Wheany posted:

now try streaming a movie through that. boy howdy, i sure love 720p with stereo sound

if it doesnt stop to download a firmware update in the middle its cool with me

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

if it doesnt stop to download a firmware update in the middle its cool with me

except every time you want to go online you have to be on latest firmware so roofle owned scrub

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
solution: watch media through a thing that is not a ps3

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
New H.265 video standard approved, will allow for high-quality video at half the bitrate

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/25/3917072/new-h-265-video-standard-approved-will-allow-for-high-quality-video-half-bit-rate

"Yeah, take that fansubbers, your 10bit encodings are out of date now! Start encoding yours in H.265 so nobody can play it."

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
H.264 was pretty good, if H.265 does 4K even better

ol qwerty bastard
Dec 13, 2005

If you want something done, do it yourself!
Where can I get a 4K monitor? Apart from those televisions that cost like 25 grand.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope

Cardboard Box A posted:

New H.265 video standard approved, will allow for high-quality video at half the bitrate

http://www.theverge.com/2013/1/25/3917072/new-h-265-video-standard-approved-will-allow-for-high-quality-video-half-bit-rate

"Yeah, take that fansubbers, your 10bit encodings are out of date now! Start encoding yours in H.265 so nobody can play it."

well, what it is actually going to be used is shoving twice the number of SD channels that show home shopping progrmas through the pipe

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

RED is claiming their RED RAY poo poo is better than HEVC

4096x2048, 16-bpc, XYZ color space, Digital Cinema Master at 20MBPS.

4x more pixels than blu-ray at ~85% the average bitrate of blu-ray discs.

:smuggo:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Cardboard Box A posted:

people are literally arguing about codec packs in tyool 2013 :ughh:

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Doctor Rope
how will they distribute h.265? (except streaming)

blu-ray disks should have enough capacity for most movies, i think. all the blu-ray rips i've made have been around 20-22 gigabytes, and dual layer blu-rays have 50 gb capacity. so 4*pixels*0.5 bitrate = around 40gb for a 4k movie at current 1080p quality.

has there been any talk about higher-capacity physical media? hvd seems pretty much doa, but i guess it's a format that exists by some definition

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nutmeg
Feb 8, 2004

Wheany posted:

how will they distribute h.265? (except streaming)

blu-ray disks should have enough capacity for most movies, i think. all the blu-ray rips i've made have been around 20-22 gigabytes, and dual layer blu-rays have 50 gb capacity. so 4*pixels*0.5 bitrate = around 40gb for a 4k movie at current 1080p quality.

has there been any talk about higher-capacity physical media? hvd seems pretty much doa, but i guess it's a format that exists by some definition

No, retard.

• Locked thread