Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Vaginal Engineer posted:

Koodo includes unlimited long distance calling during times when you have unlimited minutes.

loving done. Anybody want to buy a factory unlocked iPhone 4S?

And another one that's locked to Telus? Both are 32gb but the locked one has a yellow back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
I think I found the one thing to get excited about living in Saskatchewan for: decent plans.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/SK/plans/promotional.shtml?INTCMP=plansBANH2UnltdTalkFamily

$55 for 5 GB data, unlimited nationwide talk, Caller ID, VM and SMS/MMS? Not bad, thanks crown-owned SaskTel for having weird regional plans and forcing the others to compete! I just wish there was a $40-50 plan that was exactly the same except 100-200 mimutes and Fave 10 Canada because talking on a phone? gently caress that!

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 19, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Godinster posted:

I think I found the one thing to get excited about living in Saskatchewan for: decent plans.

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/SK/plans/promotional.shtml?INTCMP=plansBANH2UnltdTalkFamily

$55 for 5 GB data, unlimited nationwide talk, Caller ID, VM and SMS/MMS? Not bad, thanks crown-owned SaskTel for having weird regional plans and forcing the others to compete! I just wish there was a $40-50 plan that was exactly the same except 100-200 mimutes and Fave 10 Canada because talking on a phone? gently caress that!

Curious: is it possible for non-SKers to sign up while visiting the province, and therefore take advantage of this sort of thing? Or do you need a billing address there?

Purely hypothetical, as I'm not likely to be in Skatch anytime soon, but it could be a good move for someone there on business or the like...

Sassafras
Dec 24, 2004

by Athanatos

Sassafras fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Nov 26, 2013

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Rogers pushes back LTE in Manitoba - gently caress, what the hell is going on? I heard disputes with MTS over sharing lines. The 3G here in Winnipeg is loving laughably bad. Kinda defeats the purpose of having a smartphone when only WiFi is reliable.

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

Lexicon posted:

Curious: is it possible for non-SKers to sign up while visiting the province, and therefore take advantage of this sort of thing? Or do you need a billing address there?

Purely hypothetical, as I'm not likely to be in Skatch anytime soon, but it could be a good move for someone there on business or the like...

When I helped my mom negotiate her contract a couple years ago with Telus, the SK plan at the time [not the current one] was actually the one they offered, along with VM and CID which weren't standard at the time. So yeah it's definitely possible but you'll need a friend who works at Client Care/Channel Care. I'm not certain it's doable even for loyalty anymore since I haven't spoken to them in a while but I can't imagine it changed.

Vintersong: Yeah I find when I'm in Winnipeg I'm better off using my Telus or Bell SIMs instead of my Rogers one despite the perceived lack of reception. The HSPA+ speeds are often twice as fast as Rogers' saturated-rear end network.

When I was doing S3 training in Winnipeg for MTS it was great because only the S3 and Xperia T can use LTE on their network with Apple [apparently] dragging their heels on certifying the network for iPhones. It was a consistent 50+ megabits/sec anywhere I tried.

Nairbo fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jan 20, 2013

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
God I don't want to pay 100 bucks for this phone, or 50 bucks for this phone.

Is there any way to get another dumbphone and just have it work with koodo? I assume any unlocked dumbphone that operates on the same band as the koodo network will work, is this true? How do I find a list of such phones and networks?

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005

tuyop posted:

God I don't want to pay 100 bucks for this phone, or 50 bucks for this phone.

Is there any way to get another dumbphone and just have it work with koodo? I assume any unlocked dumbphone that operates on the same band as the koodo network will work, is this true? How do I find a list of such phones and networks?

Virtually any phone made for Telus, Bell, Rogers or AT&T that is HSPA compatible will work. So any Rogers phone made in the past 2-3 years and any Bell or Telus phone at all that takes a SIM card [except BB Storm/World]

Shofixti
Nov 23, 2005

Kyaieee!

So what's the deal with Orascom buying out the rest of Wind? An article on the Globe speculates about a possible sale to Rogers. I know "industry sources" doesn't necessarily mean much, so does anyone have any insight?

The Globe and Mail posted:

Despite speculation that Mr. Lacavera’s departure from Wind would forge a path to an eventual merger with rival newcomer Mobilicity, industry sources suggest that Wind’s foreign financial backers are anxious to cut their losses and sell their Canadian assets. Sources say that merger talks with Mobilicity have recently run cold as Amsterdam-based VimpelCom Ltd., the majority owner of Orascom, mulls a possible sale of Wind to a Canadian incumbent. Rogers Communications Inc. is the name most often floated as the potential buyer.

Full article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/buyout-of-wind-mobile-exec-changes-telecom-climate/article7514399/

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

Shofixti posted:

So what's the deal with Orascom buying out the rest of Wind? An article on the Globe speculates about a possible sale to Rogers. I know "industry sources" doesn't necessarily mean much, so does anyone have any insight?

Full article:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/globe-investor/buyout-of-wind-mobile-exec-changes-telecom-climate/article7514399/

This combined with Rogers trying to buy Shaw's LTE spectrum would give them control of basically the entire 1700mhz spectrum. :byodood:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
CRTC snorts, wakes up, nods approval, goes back to sleep.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I really hope that even the CRTC wouldn't approve that :(

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe
That would just be my luck, I finally get a decent cell provider at a good price and they get sold to Rogers. I have no reception problems or etc out here in Grimsby, Wind for $40 unlimited everything is a damned bargain. Every time I look at the Rogers website to make a plan I see poo poo like "200 any time minutes", for a whole loving month?! I don't know how people stand those kinds of plans.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

The Gunslinger posted:

That would just be my luck, I finally get a decent cell provider at a good price and they get sold to Rogers. I have no reception problems or etc out here in Grimsby, Wind for $40 unlimited everything is a damned bargain. Every time I look at the Rogers website to make a plan I see poo poo like "200 any time minutes", for a whole loving month?! I don't know how people stand those kinds of plans.

I use about 35 anytime minutes a month.. I guess I just don't have friends. :(

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Yeah, of all the complaints I hear from customers on a daily basis, 200 minutes a month is rarely one of them.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

OilSlick posted:

Yeah, of all the complaints I hear from customers on a daily basis, 200 minutes a month is rarely one of them.

I don't use a landline anymore and even with heavy texting I easily use more than the small amount of minutes most of those companies give you in a month. To me it's just indicative of the constant gouging by the big 3 that made the newcomers so desirable. Any time I sit down to make a comparable package to what I get from Wind its usually $75+ from them. Sure their coverage is better if I traveled a lot but I don't so /shrug.

The Gunslinger fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 21, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

The Gunslinger posted:

I don't use a landline anymore and even with heavy texting I easily use more than the small amount of minutes most of those companies give you in a month. To me it's just indicative of the constant gouging by the big 3 that made the newcomers so desirable. Any time I sit down to make a comparable package to what I get from Wind its usually $75+ from them. Sure their coverage is better if I traveled a lot but I don't so /shrug.

Low minutes, continued existence of long-distance, etc, all function as 'traps' set by the Big-3 to occasionally wrangle more money out of their customers. Virtually every advertised plan has this phenomenon built in to some degree.

That's what made the Koodo $56 for unlimited country-wide / VM / CID / 2GB so revolutionary of a plan.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
Between having a job and unlimited evenings, and fab10 (god I hate that name so much) I rarely hit more than 10 anytime minutes a month out of 300ish total talk minutes. I find that I'm much more concerned about data. It's much harder to keep an eye on.

Last night I got offered a retentions plan that I would have taken had the rep not hung up on me because our call went past closing. But now I'm not sure because it has less data, and more talk time. I'm going to see if I can wrangle free CID and vm plus the 10% own phone discount since I have my own phone.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

As of February 4th, Bell (and maybe others already do this, I dunno) will adopt a new (better) termination fee policy. I'll spare you the details of data termination fees and such that remain the same, but the total termination fee will now no longer exceed the total amount that was discounted from your device. It will instead be a prorated amount depending on how far you are into your contract. The fee will depend on the phone as each phone has different discounts, but it will be roughly following a tab-like termination penalty that will no longer result in paying a cancellation fee that's more than the price of the phone. This will apply to all contracts (new or existing) that are signed or renewed as of February 4th.

This policy is already in place in some parts of Canada, but on February 4th it will be nationwide. I know, it could be better, but baby steps I guess.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

OilSlick posted:

As of February 4th, Bell (and maybe others already do this, I dunno) will adopt a new (better) termination fee policy. I'll spare you the details of data termination fees and such that remain the same, but the total termination fee will now no longer exceed the total amount that was discounted from your device. It will instead be a prorated amount depending on how far you are into your contract. The fee will depend on the phone as each phone has different discounts, but it will be roughly following a tab-like termination penalty that will no longer result in paying a cancellation fee that's more than the price of the phone. This will apply to all contracts (new or existing) that are signed or renewed as of February 4th.

This policy is already in place in some parts of Canada, but on February 4th it will be nationwide. I know, it could be better, but baby steps I guess.

So does this mean that on Virgin I could just pay off my SuperTab and not have to deal with Cancellation Fees and thus am free to switch to a Choice Plan from a Combo Plan?

Migishu
Oct 22, 2005

I'll eat your fucking eyeballs if you're not careful

Grimey Drawer
Quebec have had that for a while, glad to see it being pushed across Canada.

New plan status update: I changed my plan to the $30 virgin plan I listed earlier (with 100mb data), and a week in I realize I still barely use data, but it's still nice to have. Sure, if I had more I'd probably use it more, but I can easily survive with what I have (especially since Montreal has such a high wifi userbase downtown).

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Geektox posted:

So does this mean that on Virgin I could just pay off my SuperTab and not have to deal with Cancellation Fees and thus am free to switch to a Choice Plan from a Combo Plan?

I can't speak for Virgin, although this probably applies to them. However it only applies to contracts that are signed or resigned after February 4th. It's not going to do anything to existing contracts until you renew.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

Oilslick, for family sharing can you actually share ANY plan? I'm grandfathered into a 6gb data plan and I want to know if I can bring my wife into the deal with a cheap 100mb plan.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

Oilslick, for family sharing can you actually share ANY plan? I'm grandfathered into a 6gb data plan and I want to know if I can bring my wife into the deal with a cheap 100mb plan.

Well, yes and no.

Yes, pretty much every in market plan has a sharable version of it. That's the problem, as there are two almost identical versions of any plan: a sharable plan and a stand alone plan. This means that if you are currently on a stand alone plan, then you must change your plan to a sharable one. But if that plan is no longer in market, then it cannot be made into a share plan.

If you are on a standalone plan right now, then there's no way to allow your wife to share your data without changing your plan entirely.

Also, features don't share. So if you have a voice plan with a $30 6GB add on, those don't share ever. It's a pretty lousy system, I know. (And if anyone's wondering why you'd ever elect to have a standalone version of a plan instead of a share one, it's because standalone plans have flex data, allowing for a better overage rate of $10 per GB}

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

It's the $60 6gb student plan that they offered last August, so I'm going to go with "no way".

edit: I also have flex data.

ZShakespeare fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 24, 2013

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

So the Nexus 4 (16 GB) is now reservable at Fido.

I'm still waffling on getting mine fixed.

EscapeHere
Jan 16, 2005

ZeeBoi posted:

So the Nexus 4 (16 GB) is now reservable at Fido.

How do you reserve it? I'm seeing no mention of the Nexus 4 on Fido's website?

EDIT: Found out how to reserve it, but it doesn't say how much it will cost outright (I'm on a month to month currently with a BYO phone). Also, is the $40 reservation fee reimbursed once you buy it?

EscapeHere fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Jan 27, 2013

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

EscapeHere posted:

Also, is the $40 reservation fee reimbursed once you buy it?

Yeah.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib
The CCTS draft wireless code is done.

http://consultation.crtc.gc.ca/read-draft-code

A few nice gestures such as a cap on roaming and devices must be offered an unlock after 30 days, plus clarity on additional fees and a limit on termination fees. Nothing about contract length.

The top 100 liked comments on the draft are all variants about the 36 month term.

less than three fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jan 29, 2013

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

less than three posted:

The CCTS draft wireless code is done.

http://consultation.crtc.gc.ca/read-draft-code

A few nice gestures such as a cap on roaming and devices must be offered an unlock after 30 days, plus clarity on additional fees and a limit on termination fees. Nothing about contract length.

The top 100 liked comments on the draft are all variants about the 36 month term.

Is there any likelihood of this being implemented, or is it basically just a wishlist by an organization that represents concerned consumers?

Also, it seems like it'd be hard to get telcos to agree to this. They'd probably be able to successfully argue that some of the terms of this draft would allow for easy fraud, particularly allowing to stop charges when a customer's phone is lost or stolen. Don't feel like paying your bill? Just call up your provider and tell em that your phone was "stolen". I think they'll find a way around not billing you while your phone is incapacitated under warranty. Your carrier did not design the phone, they merely provide the service. As long as their towers still work they are still holding up their end of the bargain. Yes, it's hard to get service when your phone is broken, but that argument has never worked and I'm guessing there's a reason why. Not letting prepaid cards ever expire sounds like a tough sell too, considering that they'd be supporting many phones on the network for next to nothing.

Furthermore, a great deal of those terms are already being implemented by many carriers (no autorenewing contracts, explaining subsidies and termination fees and other info in contract, notifications of exceeding data usage, providing online usage monitoring, termination fees not exceeding total subsidy, explaining how to check prepaid balance, etc)

OilSlick fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 29, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Ugh - virtually all of the problems with telcos will sort themselves out if we simply insist on a dividing line drawn between "handset financing" and "handset service". There's absolutely no good reason that we continue to bundle these things today. If carriers want to provide favourable financing - by all means - but lowering the switching costs between carriers would go a long way towards improving the situation in this country.

T-Mobile USA has the right idea.

less than three
Aug 9, 2007

Fallen Rib

OilSlick posted:

Is there any likelihood of this being implemented, or is it basically just a wishlist by an organization that represents concerned consumers?

Also, it seems like it'd be hard to get telcos to agree to this. They'd probably be able to successfully argue that some of the terms of this draft would allow for easy fraud, particularly allowing to stop charges when a customer's phone is lost or stolen. Don't feel like paying your bill? Just call up your provider and tell em that your phone was "stolen". I think they'll find a way around not billing you while your phone is incapacitated under warranty. Your carrier did not design the phone, they merely provide the service. As long as their towers still work they are still holding up their end of the bargain. Yes, it's hard to get service when your phone is broken, but that argument has never worked and I'm guessing there's a reason why. Not letting prepaid cards ever expire sounds like a tough sell too, considering that they'd be supporting many phones on the network for next to nothing.

Furthermore, a great deal of those terms are already being implemented by many carriers already (no autorenewing contracts, explaining subsidies and termination fees and other info in contract, notifications of exceeding data usage, providing online usage monitoring, termination fees not exceeding total subsidy, explaining how to check prepaid balance, etc)

It was commissioned by the CRTC and it won't be law, they will have to voluntarily abide by the code if they so choose.

As for "a great deal of those terms are already being implemented by many carriers already," while that may be true I think we can all agree that letting them self regulate is a terrible idea even if they are heading in the right direction at a glacial pace.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

less than three posted:

As for "a great deal of those terms are already being implemented by many carriers already," while that may be true I think we can all agree that letting them self regulate is a terrible idea even if they are heading in the right direction at a glacial pace.

Also what happens when Wind and Moblicity finally just give up and get bought out by the big 3, would you say they are the main reason the carriers are improving (slowly)?

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

less than three posted:

It was commissioned by the CRTC and it won't be law, they will have to voluntarily abide by the code if they so choose.

So, in other words, when the moratorium on spectrum sale from the 2009 auction is up next year and Wind and Mobilicity get bought up by the big 3, they will have no incentive to follow these "guidelines" and everything will return to normal.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

less than three posted:

won't be law, they will have to voluntarily abide by the code if they so choose.

The CRTC has got to be the most toothless consumer protection agency in the western world. What the hell's the point of the exercise then?

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

ZShakespeare posted:

So, in other words, when the moratorium on spectrum sale from the 2009 auction is up next year and Wind and Mobilicity get bought up by the big 3, they will have no incentive to follow these "guidelines" and everything will return to normal.

I wouldn't say things are likely to go backwards. Those two carriers have no presence in Atlantic Canada, but competition is still (relatively) alive here, when the carriers could have just as easily kept shafting us compared to the rest of the country and chalk in up to "regional" differences, which does happen sometimes.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

I would certainly expect to see anything with the word unlimited in the plan disappear.

spoof
Jul 8, 2004

ZShakespeare posted:

I would certainly expect to see anything with the word unlimited in the plan disappear.

It'll just go back to unlimited*.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Fun Shoe

ZShakespeare posted:

Yep exactly. The whole reason why the new entrants were so enticing was actual price competition and some feature differences that went beyond names. I really don't want to go back to a situation like four years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shop
Nov 16, 2005
So I'm moving back to Canada from the states (Calgary to be specific) and I will have my iPhone 4 unlocked by AT&T prior to leaving. What carrier should I look at for the best contract considering I'll be bringing my own phone?