Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

If you don't mind my asking, where are you from that you eat whale?

Norway :norway:

And oh man, I feel for you, rectal cushion - kaviar is awesome, and my life would be sad and bleak without it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lullabee
Oct 24, 2010

Rock a bye bay-bee
In the beehive
nah.

Lullabee fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 21, 2017

Chickalicious
Apr 13, 2005

We are the ones we've been waiting for.
I had coffee aversions too. My mom said she had aversions to coffee and cigarettes both times she was pregnant, and that's how she knew she was pregnant the second time when she woke up one day and her morning coffee and cigarette tasted awful.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012

Chickalicious posted:

I had coffee aversions too. My mom said she had aversions to coffee and cigarettes both times she was pregnant, and that's how she knew she was pregnant the second time when she woke up one day and her morning coffee and cigarette tasted awful.

Same. For some reason, I couldn't stand the taste of coffee during my first trimester. Even the smell of it made me gag. But once the second trimester started, I could have decaf coffee without wanting to vomit.

CravingSolace
Mar 3, 2012
Question for experienced mamas!

So, my 4 month old sleeps really well through the night. It's just a terror to get him to sleep.

Sometimes he'll have a bottle and drift off peacefully, but usually he'll start to get tired and throw a fit. He'll scream, cry and thrash and I'll have to swaddle him, rock him and sing to him for maybe half an hour before he grudgingly gives in. This just started recently. Does this happen with anyone else? It's not because he's over-tired. He just absolutely hates going to bed or taking naps. :-/

Also, for any military moms, aside from Skype is there any way for me to make sure my husband feels involved in my son's life while he's deployed? He's really scared that our baby won't remember him when he gets back and it breaks my heart. :(

Also, I'm looking into moving into base housing when he comes back and going to some base get-togethers to meet some other spouses. The nearest base by his parent's house is Luke, but that's over an hour away, so I'll wait until I get back to start meeting some other people.

Awesome Kristin
May 9, 2008

yum yum yum
Well as far as sleep goes I don't have any answers, but I guess I'm in a similar boat. We have the same routine for every nap and bedtime. Swaddle, rock, listen to white noise type music. Every. single. Time. I have no idea how to break him out of this, and yeah half the time he puts up a fight. I just stick with it and he'll give in eventually.

So I feel your pain, if not more. I'd like an answer as well.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

CravingSolace posted:

Also, for any military moms, aside from Skype is there any way for me to make sure my husband feels involved in my son's life while he's deployed? He's really scared that our baby won't remember him when he gets back and it breaks my heart. :(

Also, I'm looking into moving into base housing when he comes back and going to some base get-togethers to meet some other spouses. The nearest base by his parent's house is Luke, but that's over an hour away, so I'll wait until I get back to start meeting some other people.

Pictures. TONS of pictures. Have him record videos and audios for your baby to listen to and watch when Skype isn't convenient. Recordable books too - my son loves the one from Hallmark that his Gran sent him (once your child is old enough to become a button pusher, I recommend taping a penny over the buttons on the front - STUPID design choice there), and frequently runs off saying "Gran book" and the next thing I know, I hear her in the other room, reading The Night Before Christmas to him. Have leave some unwashed t-shirts behind, so you can snuggle with baby & shirt and he can smell his Dad's smell.

Also tell your husband to try not to make too many big physical changes while he's gone. My dad was at sea when the military changed their facial hair policy. I had never seen him with anything other than a full beard and mustache, then he was gone for 5 months and came back clean shaven. I had no idea who he was and he loving TERRIFIED me.

ChloroformSeduction
Sep 3, 2006

THERE'S NO CURE FOR BEING A CUNT, SO PLEASE KEEP REMINDING ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
I was talking to a friend of mine last night, and mentioned I had these sort of funny mild pains on my right side (which is the side I ovulated from.) Knowing my history of not being super sensitive to pain and the like, she basically said that since I'm pregnant, to basically do whatever someone with stabbing pain there would do. Went to hospital, they ran all the tests. Couldn't rule out ectopic without an ultrasound, so went in this am (they couldn't do one last night.)

I'm having twins. Holy gently caress.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
Wow, congrats!

Rathina
Jan 8, 2001
So I'm 8w6d, went in for an ultrasound (I had both the vag one, and the other one done) today and it looked empty. It was a nurse practitioner who was doing it, and so obviously she isn't allowed to comment on the findings and said the Dr. would look at the pictures and call me for a followup. She pretty much just kept saying that if I was in there too early nothing would show up yet....but I'm pretty sure that's not the case, all my dates are accurate. I've had 2 kids already so I've been through ultrasounds before...so I'm pretty much just assuming there is no baby in there because it can't really be that hard to gently caress up an ultrasound right? =/

Lyz
May 22, 2007

I AM A GIRL ON WOW GIVE ME ITAMS
I've had one done at 6 weeks and 9 weeks of pregnancy and both times they've been able to find the fetus and it's beating heart so I don't know what to tell you. The nurse who does it at my practice is a pro though, she basically gets every detail of the baby with the regular ultrasound, I've never had a vaginal one done.

iwik
Oct 12, 2007
My 16 week old son's lovely, mellow vocabulary has been replaced by that of a pterodactyl.

And he likes the sound of it.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

iwik posted:

My 16 week old son's lovely, mellow vocabulary has been replaced by that of a pterodactyl.

And he likes the sound of it.

Buy a parrot, film the results, profit.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

ChloroformSeduction posted:

Woah! Congratulations!

So, when does the glowy stage start?
So far I'm just pimply, and my nails have started splintering something fierce. Stay away from my B-vitamins, baby, you're getting plenty! :mad:

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

Sockmuppet posted:

Woah! Congratulations!

So far I'm just pimply, and my nails have started splintering something fierce. Stay away from my B-vitamins, baby, you're getting plenty! :mad:

For me, never. First pregnancy I had back acne and eczema, this time my skin is ok, but I doubt anyone would call me glowy :smith:

Lucha Luch
Feb 25, 2007

Mr. Squeakers coming off the top rope!
I am an extremely fortunate person in that I've always had pretty clear skin, but the first trimester I broke out a LOT around my jawline and forehead. I felt like my skin was constantly dry and awful despite how much water I was drinking, so I used a tiny bit of the body shops hemp face creme after I washed my face. It cleared up completely around 16 weeks and I got a pretty nifty "glow" around 20 weeks, but then that got canceled out by raccoon eyes. To combat that, I've just been using garniers bb cream which I found works really well without being heavy, and has the added benefit of spf15 and smells pretty nice (but not strong!).
For your nails, try rubbing a bit of vitamin e oil on them. That *should* help substantially :)

GoreJess
Aug 4, 2004

pretty in pink

Sockmuppet posted:

I had terrible skin all through out my pregnancy & I'm still battling it 6 weeks post-birth. I just hope it'll calm down once I get the mirena put in.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

Dandy Shrew posted:

For your nails, try rubbing a bit of vitamin e oil on them. That *should* help substantially :)

Thank you, I'll definitely try that!

As for the spots, "never" was not the answer I was hoping for...

This has been the most unsettling thing for me so far - I've looked more or less identical from the neck down for the last ten years, and I've never had more than the occasional spot, and now suddenly I'm bulging and growing and breaking out and it's weird and I don't like it. I'm only 16-17 weeks in and I've never weighed this much in my entire life. I had to buy an adorable little new born-outfit yesterday just to remind myself why I'm doing this until I start to feel the little squirt moving in there.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
16-17 weeks is right in the middle of the awkward stage where you don't look obviously pregnant, just bulgy. Give it a few weeks and you'll probably feel less like that. At least that's the way it was for me. Once I started obviously showing, I felt better about my appearance.

Regarding weight gain: as long as you're eating mostly healthily and following your hunger, try not to worry about it. I was around 20 kilos heavier at the end of my first pregnancy than I normally am, but it came off.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Oh, I look obviously pregnant, that's not a problem, and with clothes on I absolutely love my looks and my baby bumb :3:
And I'm not really worried about loosing the weight afterwards. It's just that the changes have been really sudden, and since I've never varied in weight/looks bodywise I'm completely unused to it. I've looked the same since I was 17-18, and now my body has taken on a life of its own, both literally and figuratively, and since I've yet to feel any movement the whole "this will result in a baby"-thing doesn't really feel...real.

I'm sure it'll get better when I grow more used to the new me, and when I start feeling the little guy/gal kicking around :)

Schweig und tanze
May 22, 2007

STUBBSSSSS INNNNNN SPACEEEE!

It's definitely odd to suddenly look so different. I haven't gained an excessive amount of weight but I am bigger than I was, obviously, plus my skin has been a total disaster and my hair is a mess. I've struggled with not feeling like myself, it's gotten better as time has gone on, but I still have days where I just don't feel like me. I am guessing that's normal, there are so many changes happening, physically and emotionally, and you need time to assimilate them all into your new normal life :)

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Sockmuppet: I so understand! I was trying to express that same feeling to someone last night and I think I came across as vain and "I don't want to get fat, ewww!" Totally wasn't what I meant.

I'm 36. I've been very thin my entire life. Like, I have a pair of jeans I've worn since I was 18, I've just always been skinny. (It helps that I'm 5'9 and I just generally have a very light bone structure.) I'm almost 20 weeks pregnant, and I'm at about 130, which means I've only gained 10ish lbs, but my body feels so DIFFERENT. Bending and moving, getting up from sitting, just breathing, even. Not to mention, none of my pants have fit pretty much since I peed on a stick. (Thankfully I have a lot of leggings and long tops!) I'm not worried about gaining the weight or taking it off, it's not a vanity thing, I love love love being pregnant and knowing my little guy is growing, it's a "this is weird and my body feels DIFFERENT" thing. I also get a lot of "you're starving your baby, eat a sandwich!" crap from overweight/normal weight people who think that now that I'm pregnant it's time to take out their frustration on me for being thin, that being pregnant makes my body public property to comment on, but my doctor is quite satisfied with my health and weight so gently caress 'em.

I wouldn't give up this cleavage for anything though, even if I have had to buy all new bras. I've never had cleavage in my life!

My skin sorta freaked out a little too, it's generally blemish free but oily/dry frustrating, and I keep getting little breakouts on my cheeks. I was terrified I was getting the "pregnancy mask" brown discoloration the other day, till I realized it was coffee, haha!

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

sudont posted:

I wouldn't give up this cleavage for anything though, even if I have had to buy all new bras. I've never had cleavage in my life!

Oh, man, the boobs, I love those. They're completely wasted on my husband the assman, but my girlfriends all compliment me :3:

It's the same for me - I've always been very skinny, and with the weight I've gained I'm now almost at the "normal" weight for my height, but it's not MY normal, which is what is weirding me out.

And thank you all, it helps just hearing that other people have similar issues. I love this thread for that.

Lyz
May 22, 2007

sudont posted:

I'm 36. I've been very thin my entire life. Like, I have a pair of jeans I've worn since I was 18, I've just always been skinny. (It helps that I'm 5'9 and I just generally have a very light bone structure.) I'm almost 20 weeks pregnant, and I'm at about 130, which means I've only gained 10ish lbs, but my body feels so DIFFERENT... I also get a lot of "you're starving your baby, eat a sandwich!" crap from overweight/normal weight people who think that now that I'm pregnant it's time to take out their frustration on me for being thin, that being pregnant makes my body public property to comment on, but my doctor is quite satisfied with my health and weight so gently caress 'em.

Uh, 120lbs at 5'9" IS worryingly skinny, there's no way around it. I'm the same height and I always hovered around 125 lbs during college and now that I'm more around 145 normally, I can only describe my body in that period as "skeletal."

But on the plus side, when you're that skinny everyone always wants to feed you and I was never adverse to food.

I haven't really gained any weight in the 4 months since I got pregnant which is good since I went in around 10 pounds overweight. The baby measures right on track for 9 and 16 weeks so I'm not too worried. The only down side is that after Chris I kind of had an excuse to not go crazy getting back in shape since we were planning on a second child pretty soon after. My excuse runs out after this one.

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

Yeah, 120 and 5'9" is very, very skinny. By every standard it is too skinny/underweight. I'm in line with Lyz-- I have been 5'9" and 140-145 pretty much my entire adult life and I always got the "oh you are so skinny" etc comments. Now I have one (male) co-worker that loves snickering at my belly that I am growing now (I'm between 18 and 19 weeks). The plus side of this is that, since I am so slender normally and the only thing growing is my belly, it is pretty easy to determine already that I've put on weight due to pregnancy.

I think at my last appointment (at 16 weeks) I had put on about 8 pounds, which easily makes me the highest I have been in my life. It is crazy to think that, if I have 'normal' pregnancy weight gain, I'm probably putting on about another 20 or so.

sudont
May 10, 2011
this program is useful for when you don't want to do something.

Fun Shoe
Yeah, I understand that it's very skinny, and BMI charts list me as underweight, but that's my point. 20+ years of many, many doctors, therapists, psychiatrists and every OB I've seen has been fine with my weight and I assure you I don't look skeletal at all. I look thin, but not overly so, you would never look at me and go "Oh my God that woman is SO SKINNY!" This is not distorted body image speaking, I don't have visible ribs or collarbones or anything like that. My ring finger is like a size 4, for some idea of my frame, I have bird bones. (Too bad I'm not as graceful as one :()

sheri
Dec 30, 2002

I'm at 18.5 weeks. It is normal that I have felt baby on and off quite a bit the last few days and then basically nothing today so far? I'm assuming it will be hit or miss until several weeks from now where it will be more consistent?

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B

sheri posted:

I'm at 18.5 weeks. It is normal that I have felt baby on and off quite a bit the last few days and then basically nothing today so far? I'm assuming it will be hit or miss until several weeks from now where it will be more consistent?

Yes. Totally normal. :)

Acrolos
Mar 29, 2004

Ok, so we just had our big baby shower (still have one left at work, but this was a massive one). We only got about 1/3 of the things off our registries, and ended up with a TON of clothes and items that we would like to return, so that we can get some stuff we need.

The problem is that we don't have receipts for most of it and have no idea where much of it was purchased. From reading online, I've found that Target is the hardest place to return things to, but I've heard that Wal-Mart and Babies R' Us are a little easier.

Any suggestions on how to determine what to return where? Is it possible to just take a ton of items to Wal-Mart or target and have them scan what was and wasn't purchased there?

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful
Google the brands and that should help. Carters is sold at a lot of places, for instance, but I think Carters Just One Year is only Target. I'd return them based on where you buy things.

Target's policy as of a few years ago was $70 worth of merchandise returned without a receipt per year, but that's per person, so you could get someone else to return things. If you're over your limit you could try to do an exchange for a similar item too. I don;t know about the others, but BRU has horribly slow lines every time we've gone.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.

Ben Davis posted:

Google the brands and that should help. Carters is sold at a lot of places, for instance, but I think Carters Just One Year is only Target. I'd return them based on where you buy things.

Target's policy as of a few years ago was $70 worth of merchandise returned without a receipt per year, but that's per person, so you could get someone else to return things. If you're over your limit you could try to do an exchange for a similar item too. I don;t know about the others, but BRU has horribly slow lines every time we've gone.

BRU *used* to be great about taking returns without receipts. They started getting more difficult about it a couple years ago.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!
When I had stuff to return from my shower, Babies R Us told me I could return things without a receipt as long as the items were on my registry. You may want to add those items to your registry from their website before you go in to return them in case they have a policy like that.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

ChloroformSeduction posted:

I was talking to a friend of mine last night, and mentioned I had these sort of funny mild pains on my right side (which is the side I ovulated from.) Knowing my history of not being super sensitive to pain and the like, she basically said that since I'm pregnant, to basically do whatever someone with stabbing pain there would do. Went to hospital, they ran all the tests. Couldn't rule out ectopic without an ultrasound, so went in this am (they couldn't do one last night.)

That is amazing! :3: Congrats!

JBark
Jun 27, 2000
Good passwords are a good idea.
If you've been reading this thread for a while, you probably saw my posts just over a year ago after losing our first at 31 weeks. Well, we've been at it again, and this time with better results so far.

That's Rhys, ~6 weeks premature, after my wife was induced early due what's believed to be the exact same issue that caused us to lose the first one. Luckily we had one of the best OBs at the best obstetrics hospital in the country this time. My wife's prescribed drug regimen and meticulous scans by the OB (30+ ultrasounds and daily fetal doppler monitoring for the past month) meant we caught the problem in time and had a well grown baby to handle early delivery. If it wasn't for the specific scans that measure fetal blood pressure near the heart and in the brain, we'd have never known that the baby was starting to be seriously stressed due to the placenta packing it in way too early.

If you're thinking that looks like a big preemie, you'd be correct. He's a massive 2.8kg, which is ridiculous for 6 weeks early. That big growth is helping him out in the NICU, since he's feeing well already and regulating body temp and internal organs are working great. Just has to get through the weak lungs (steroids before birth helped), which hopefully just means a few days/weeks on a CPAP until they're strong enough.

I think I'm gonna need some BP meds after the past 3 days, or at least a stiff drink or twenty :)

JBark fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Jan 20, 2013

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
He's a sumo preemie :3:

Congratulations, that sounds scary as hell. I remember your loss. I'm so glad your boy is ok!

Lyz
May 22, 2007

Acrolos posted:

Ok, so we just had our big baby shower (still have one left at work, but this was a massive one). We only got about 1/3 of the things off our registries, and ended up with a TON of clothes and items that we would like to return, so that we can get some stuff we need.

The problem is that we don't have receipts for most of it and have no idea where much of it was purchased. From reading online, I've found that Target is the hardest place to return things to, but I've heard that Wal-Mart and Babies R' Us are a little easier.

Any suggestions on how to determine what to return where? Is it possible to just take a ton of items to Wal-Mart or target and have them scan what was and wasn't purchased there?

I wouldn't be too hasty about returning clothes and other stuff, unless the outfit is so hideous you can't stand to look at it. There will be those days where it seems like every poo is a blowout and it's nice to have backups so you don't have to do laundry every other day. Or the day the baby just spits up on every fresh outfit you change him into.

And bibs.. I was convinced I was buried in the drat things but when Chris started eating three times a day I ended up buying more.

So unless you desperately need the cash I would keep it all. Babies have a knack for dirtying clothes and you'll always need 2 to 3 times more clothes than you think you need.

Ring of Light
Sep 3, 2006

Ben Davis posted:

I actually work the customer service desk at Target. The return policy is $70 for regular customers but if you have a wedding or baby registry with them you have a higher allowance, I think $150. Just go to the registry kiosk and log into your registry and print out your Gift Purchase Log to bring to the service desk and that should act like your master gift reciept. Even if the item was not purchased off of your registry list, it should prompt the computer to give you the no-reciept return at the higher allowance. Circo, Genuine Kids by Oshkosh, and Carter's Just One You are Targets big brands. We also carry a lot of accessories that are munchkin brand. I have done plenty of baby registry returns where the parents didn't know if it was from our store or not, and I was happy to scan stuff and see if the computer would show it in the system or not as long as it wasn't clearly a brand we didn't carry. One thing to remember is we are only allowed to take items back without receipt if they are currently stocked in the store so if a regular Target won't take it back, a super Target might have it stocked and take it.

Ring of Light fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jan 20, 2013

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

JBark posted:

If you're thinking that looks like a big preemie, you'd be correct. He's a massive 2.8kg, which is ridiculous for 6 weeks early.

That is what I was thinking! That is great. Wishing the best for you and your new little one. :)

very sparkly
Dec 24, 2004
867-5309
I'm 38w1d today and have just recently (in the last few days) started having BH contractions noticeably often. Doc told me last Monday that I'm 3cm dilated. Today my uterus just feels like it's in a constant tight ball most of the time... like a contraction but I can't really get it to stop. Went for a walk and I could just feel the tightness all over, and it caused my back muscles to tense up quite a bit. No real pain though, just the pressure and tightness. Wondering if I should call the after hours nurses about it or just try to relax. I read that it could be dehydration so I'm trying to extra-hydrate right now, and it feels a lot better now that I'm reclined on the couch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

very sparkly posted:

I'm 38w1d today and have just recently (in the last few days) started having BH contractions noticeably often. Doc told me last Monday that I'm 3cm dilated. Today my uterus just feels like it's in a constant tight ball most of the time... like a contraction but I can't really get it to stop. Went for a walk and I could just feel the tightness all over, and it caused my back muscles to tense up quite a bit. No real pain though, just the pressure and tightness. Wondering if I should call the after hours nurses about it or just try to relax. I read that it could be dehydration so I'm trying to extra-hydrate right now, and it feels a lot better now that I'm reclined on the couch.

In my experience the nurses will tell you to do exactly what you're doing. Relax, drink, maybe lay on your left side. If you start getting real contractions you'll be able to tell that they aren't Braxton hicks. I had very frequent BH toward the end but noticed PAIN with the real stuff (and could time them).