Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

Dirnok posted:

So if you read that underlined part like I do, we are obligated, by law, to handle poo poo. If we are capable of breaking it up, we break it up (and in my midwest college bar, we're almost always capable). If not or we're not interested in putting hands on some 6'7" linebacker looking son of a bitch, we call the cops. But, our response time is like 5 minutes. I imagine things are very different if you don't have cops already nearby and I have no idea how to go about dealing with poo poo in such circumstances.

It doesn't even need to be within the bar itself. My former neighbourhood bar in my former neighbourhood got its license pulled over the number of shootings taking place in its parking lot. Aside from that, it was a nice place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW
Let's be honest; we've all been drunk for the last week, haven't we?

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

week?

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Frozen Horse posted:

It doesn't even need to be within the bar itself. My former neighbourhood bar in my former neighbourhood got its license pulled over the number of shootings taking place in its parking lot. Aside from that, it was a nice place.

Yeah, violence and liquor licenses just don't seem to stick together for very long. None of the bars in my area actually have parking lots so I've never heard of anything like that. But on a similar note, I remember when I started barbacking, a couple guys were having an argument and took it outside to settle it. I was relieved that we didn't have to deal with it, but when the fight started outside the staff poured out the door to break it up leaving me thinking "It's outside, how the gently caress is this our problem?!" Come to find out if it starts inside the bar, to any degree, the bar is still liable and it's treated just the same as if it happened inside.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How common are barfights, really? Having gone to a bar pretty much at least once every other day (on average) for the past 5 or 6 years, all over the world, I still have never seen one. I've seen things come close, but never has it actually reached the point of a true fight.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Last night I almost had to restrain two bartenders from starting a fight with a group of middle aged bankers. At Saxon and Parole. At
6pm. Yesterday got weird.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

PT6A posted:

How common are barfights, really? Having gone to a bar pretty much at least once every other day (on average) for the past 5 or 6 years, all over the world, I still have never seen one. I've seen things come close, but never has it actually reached the point of a true fight.

Depends on the place. In mine, maybe 2-3 times a year. In a couple places nearby, at least twice a month. Which is why they employe security where as we just have barbacks and bartenders.

Really though, I see far, far more fights on the street after the bars close. At least a few every single weekend.

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

I'm no pro, but careful management goes a long ways. A free shot here and a quick talking too there goes a long ways in a tiny dive bar. The older regulars complain how bars have gotten so "P.C." but I'm too busy counting my tips from college kids to care.

Seeker Maya
Nov 9, 2012
So you've mentioned unpromotable Hispanic barbacks - how racial is bartending? What's the market like for Asians or Africans?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Seeker Maya posted:

So you've mentioned unpromotable Hispanic barbacks - how racial is bartending? What's the market like for Asians or Africans?

In my experience, it's more an issue of language skills than racism. I'd have happily promoted the good barbacks I had, Hispanic or any other ethnicity - but since bartending is a customer facing job, fluency in English is a prerequisite. Frankly, the barbacks that worked with me made as much as the bartenders anyway (we tipped out 25%), so it was kind of a nonissue.

For African Americans, the first one I worked with started as a barback, and I basically forced him to move up to bartender as he was a drat good worker and extremely personable as well. The second one (different venue) was a server, and had trouble showing up on time so I eventually had to let him after he walked in 90 minutes late on Mother's Day.

Never even had an Asian American apply at any place I worked at or managed, at least not that I remember.

Sexism is a bigger issue than racism, I think. I've had more issues getting a job because I'm male than anything else.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Seeker Maya posted:

In NYC it's harder for anyone who isn't white to get a nightlife job than it is for someone who is white. You see Hispanic or Black or Asian (female) barstaff but they're usually cooler than the equivalent white person in the same job, which kind of means they're compensating for their race being some kind of detriment. Why this is I'm not sure. You're also much more likely to see nonwhite barstaff at niche bars -- it doesn't matter what the niche is as far as I can tell, but Generic Club is going to have White Staff whereas Zany Theme Lounge will have a lot of ethnic staff of different stripes.

I don't think I've seen more than a handful of Asian males behind the bar here and this includes in bars where a large proportion of the clientele is Asian.

Still, it's way waaaaay easier to get A Bar Job being a black female than it is being a white male.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

PT6A posted:

Depends on the severity, but at least 2-3 a weekend at my place.

A lot of minor squabbles and poo poo start, but our staff is pretty well trained, we employ a lot of doorstaff, and a number of our bartenders are former bouncers.

The great thing is that we've never had a serious incident involving weapons -- outside of the one time this one drugged out dude was a block or so away from our club waving a machete on a street corner at passing cars -- and our patrons are basically just a bunch of rednecks who will beat the piss out of a guy, then buy him a beer afterwards once things are 'settled.'

Other bars around aren't as great. There was a huge issue with the professional wrestler the British Bulldog back in the 90s at another club which according to scuttlebutt wasn't helped by the doorstaff acting like shitlords. Their door staff has a reputation for being really rough with unwanted patrons and are incredibly unprofessional. Another club, now shuttered, was under new management and their first big show was a hiphop gig where someone was shot. I get that weapons incidents aren't unheard of at big nightclubs, but they're pretty rare up in my neck of the woods and especially in the part of town that it happened at, so it raised quite a few eyebrows.

I've a question for some of the nightclub bartenders, particularly the NYC ones who have been around a while. Have you noticed a discernible change with the younger crowds and alcohol use? A buddy of mine was talking to me about this the other night and he's of the mind that a lot of younger folks are growing up in an era where recreational drug use is far more commonplace (in terms of acceptance, access and cost) than it was when we were growing up and a lot of kids these days don't really give a poo poo about getting drunk/drinking.

He's been at it in the industry far longer than I have and he just doesn't see a lot of champion drinking going on anymore. Part of it is due to government involvement in a lot of poo poo (eg, we're regulated on the number of drinks we can serve to patrons past 1AM, there are minimum cost requirements AND amount requirements for alcohol so you can't do .25 draft night or anything like that anymore, plus lots of rules about 'games' and 'entertainment' for licensed establishments) which has put a lot of damper on the 'allure' of nightclubs, but he also feels that it goes hand-in-hand with recreational drug use.

I don't entirely agree with him, as the bar we both work has a ton of younger folks in there any given night. I also think that for the nightlife industry in general that it's not the case... a lot of places will just adapt and re-market/re-brand their poo poo so it'll work and those that don't will inevitably shutter themselves up.

Basically, do you think drug culture has taken a significant bite out of the nightlife and/or have you noticed any trends with the younger crowds the more you've worked in nightclubs?

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Just bartended the staff/regulars Christmas party at the unofficial bartenders' bar in our area, the place we all hang out at and all wished we worked at. Walked after a 6 hour shift with double what I've made in 14 hours on our busiest of days and I didn't even have to break a sweat. Alternating between elation and bitter loving resentment at a remarkable pace.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Here's an article about a bar designed around the bartender:

So the next time someone is telling you they want you to come work for them, tell them OK as long as you get to completely redesign the bar.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

SubponticatePoster posted:

They should have sent a poet...

I have spirits, liquors and well restocks a good foot above and behind my head and wines going up above that at least 12 feet. Any time I need to bring something down, I see my life flash before my eyes.

Der Luftwaffle fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jan 16, 2013

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

SubponticatePoster posted:

So the next time someone is telling you they want you to come work for them, tell them OK as long as you get to completely redesign the bar.

Those guys are total rockstars and went from multiple consulting and management gigs to opening their own place, and they did it right. As right as you possibly can; they hired kitchen consultants to maximize service. Did that infographic point out the foot pedal operated sinks and the tool bucket with gently bubbling water which meets health code for food equipment stoarge? I've gone on record as saying they're piloting a starship into the future of liquor, and I mean it. The article doesn't do justice to how well laid out they are for a service; the Kold-Draft is behind a curtain between the point bartender and the service station, so no one has to leave the floor for ice. Easily the best bar I've been to in years, and I say that with a full mix of admiration and envy. Oh, and the drinks loving kill.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Is it just the photo, or is that bar like at or below waist level? I wouldn't want to be bending over mixing drinks, but maybe that's just because I'm used to mixing well about that height.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

JawKnee posted:

Is it just the photo, or is that bar like at or below waist level? I wouldn't want to be bending over mixing drinks, but maybe that's just because I'm used to mixing well about that height.

According to the article, the floor behind the bar is raised about a half foot, which accounts for some of it.

That said, yeah, the bartop looks uncomfortably low, but I have a feeling we're both wrong about that.

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

Shooting Blanks posted:

According to the article, the floor behind the bar is raised about a half foot, which accounts for some of it.

That said, yeah, the bartop looks uncomfortably low, but I have a feeling we're both wrong about that.

Yeah, that's really the only thing that I dislike about the design. Everything else looks really awesome, even that speed rail setup grew on me the more I looked at it. I love absolutely everything about that backbar, especially those built in step shelves. Having just bartended at a place with a top shelf that required me to be on my tip toes and kinda knock those bottles towards me, those steps would have been perfect.

Don't really understand the foot pedal sinks though. Yeah, you don't have to stoop to turn on the faucets but you'd still have to stoop to actually wash the glasses, wouldn't you?

The Slippery Nipple
Mar 27, 2010

Dirnok posted:

Don't really understand the foot pedal sinks though. Yeah, you don't have to stoop to turn on the faucets but you'd still have to stoop to actually wash the glasses, wouldn't you?

Still use full if you have you hands full of glasses though.

That bar is rad but goddamn that low bartop would get annoying as hell.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
As a tall guy behind some very short bars let me say I would have killed for foot pedals. The knobs for operating the sink are down and way in the back, by far the worst part of using the sinks was literally crouching down so I could reach the loving knobs, then crouching down again so I could turn the water off. It looked like The Dance If The Ballet Shitter when I was trying to use the sink at speed I'm sure. It was either that or fumble around blindly with my face an inch from the bartop feeling for the loving things.

raton fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 16, 2013

Old Man Pants
Nov 22, 2010

Strippers are people too!

Are any of you required to take TIPS certification classes or similar alcohol serving classes?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Old Man Pants posted:

Are any of you required to take TIPS certification classes or similar alcohol serving classes?

In TX we generally have to be TABC certified (TABC = Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission). It's not a legal requirement, however it's almost universally required by any venue that serves or sells alcohol, as it dumps the responsibility for serving underage people and overserving on individual employees (and provides a legal defense for the bar if an overserved patron drives off and kills someone) rather than the owner/license holder. Has to be renewed every 2 years.

http://www.tabc.state.tx.us/faq/seller_server_training.asp

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Old Man Pants posted:

I think just about everywhere in Canada there's some sort of mandatory program. Ontario has Smart Serve, while Alberta has ProServe.

You're legally required to have this certification in order to serve alcohol. Useful, as it covers some of the more esoteric rules we have (we're only allowed to serve a strict maximum of drinks after 1AM.)

Most bars/pubs aren't too strict about it, but the place I'm at is the most rules abiding club I've ever seen.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urZf_7NuFvg

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

The only way this would have been funnier/dumber is if the watermelon slipped and he impaled his hand on the stem of that cocktail glass.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

The watermelon garnish at the end was completely unexpected and hilarious.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
So Mr. Woods, would you please settle a disagreement?

My bartender insists that a whtie russian is made with khalua, vodka, and milk. I insist it's Bailley's and not milk. Is it still a Russian if you put Irish cream?

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
As far as I know, you're wrong.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

-Blade

Benny the Snake posted:

My bartender insists that a whtie russian is made with khalua, vodka, and milk. I insist it's Bailley's and not milk. Is it still a Russian if you put Irish cream?

You probably shouldn't disagree with your bartender.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Benny the Snake posted:

Listen to your bartender.

nrr
Jan 2, 2007

A whtie russian eh?

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Irish cream instead of milk or cream makes it a Blond Russian.

Frozen Horse
Aug 6, 2007
Just a humble wandering street philosopher.

navyjack posted:

Something for the vegans:
Cocoanut milk makes it a Cuban Missile Crisis.
Soy milk makes it a Great Leap Forward (not recommended).
Rice milk makes it a Ho Chi Minh (nice as an apertif version).
Almond milk makes it a Refusenik.

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
I thought the Bailey's version was called a mudslide.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

Base Emitter posted:

I thought the Bailey's version was called a mudslide.
That's what I would have called it too. The "official" White Russian recipe is vodka, kahlua and cream, but I would argue that the cream has been replaced by milk (or atleast half-and-half) in common practice now. If I ordered a white russian I wouldn't expect full cream. Maybe it was The Big Lebowski that popularised it that way, but I was significantly underage when that movie came out so I'm just speculating.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
Lebowski used half and half. I like it with cream if it's short (ideal) and milk if tall (eh...).

Dirnok
Feb 10, 2005

navyjack posted:

He meant to say Blind Russian.

Moe_Rahn
Jun 1, 2006

I got a question
why they hatin' on me?
I ain't did nothin' to 'em
but count this money
and put my team on
got my whole clique stunnin'
boy wassup
yeeeeeaaaaaahhhh

Sheep-Goats posted:

Lebowski used half and half. I like it with cream if it's short (ideal) and milk if tall (eh...).
Lebowski also used powdered non-dairy creamer when he absolutely had to, but that doesn't mean I'd mix one up with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Moe_Rahn posted:

Lebowski also used powdered non-dairy creamer when he absolutely had to, but that doesn't mean I'd mix one up with it.

But what if you absolutely had to?

• Locked thread