Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

How do you tell if a Winter Squash has gone bad? I think its Carnival Squash but I ripped the label off ages ago. I was going to cut it open and use my nose, but I'd like to know just for knowing's sake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009
Couple short questions:

I really like the taste of grilled food, and will be moving out within the year. Most apartments in my city have electric coil stoves and prohibit barbecues on balconies. Can I use a torch to get that open-flame sear and taste on meat? I have seen it done on pork belly and shoulder at a ramen place/izakaya, but don't want to run the risk of investing money on equipment with the result of butane/propane tasting meat.

Also, is a breadmaker necessary, or can I achieve the same results with just an oven?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

You'd do better with a pizza/bread stone. Don't buy the $30 ones, I forget which kind of tile you need but it shouldn't be more than $5 at a hardware store. Unglazed tile of a particular sort. Even then a baking sheet or pan is fine. You can even make no knead bread if you don't want to put any effort into the bread

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Jyrraeth posted:

How do you tell if a Winter Squash has gone bad? I think its Carnival Squash but I ripped the label off ages ago. I was going to cut it open and use my nose, but I'd like to know just for knowing's sake.

It'll be squishy and have a strong sick-sweet smell. It's probably fine as long as the rind was intact and it was kept at room temperature, they're very hardy.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Zenzirouj posted:

I don't know of any health risks that cooked shrimp might create, but if nothing else it just seems like it'd be gross to have a shrimpy flavor in your mustard. Seems like a waste to just chuck a whole jar, though. If you still have it, you could rub it all over some chicken (wings, breasts, boneless/boned, whatever. It all works similarly for this purpose), roll it in panko, then bake it. Toss in herbs or whatever in the mustard if you want. That's one of my go-to base ideas when I'm too lazy to think of anything new.

There wasn't that much left, maybe 2 tablespoons of mustard.

Also I thought of that as well! That's a good recipe I almost did it.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Sunshine89 posted:

Couple short questions:

Also, is a breadmaker necessary, or can I achieve the same results with just an oven?
Good god no. Waste of money and space. No-knead gives excellent results for slightly more effort. Check out the bread thread which links to the no-knead thread.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Gonna make pureed carrot & curry (powder) soup tomorrow.
In addition to the curry powder, and the usual salt & pepper, which would be the better addition?

- ground cumin
- caraway seeds
- both

Also, should I add a bay leaf?

I just want to keep it simple; I have no mortar & pestle, or coffee grinder. :geno:

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
skip the curry powder just add cumin

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

CombatCupcake posted:

I got this one
It was rather creamy, and kind of strong. I didn't like it at all.

I don't believe it had a rind, I was able to scoop it up with a thin cracker.

A fresh young mozzarella? I wouldn't normally consider it crumbly, but would it look like a log version of:

CloseFriend
Aug 21, 2002

Un malheur ne vient jamais seul.
I bought a hunk of fresh galangal yesterday and I really want to use it. Any recipe ideas? I've had chicken and Thai food on the mind lately, if that narrows it down any.

I also bought some sumac at the same store and I'm open to suggestions for how to use that. I thought about making za'atar. I wanted to try it on roasted chicken or lamb, but because of its sour taste I don't know if I want to use it as one of the more dominant ingredients.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Mister Macys posted:

Gonna make pureed carrot & curry (powder) soup tomorrow.
In addition to the curry powder, and the usual salt & pepper, which would be the better addition?

- ground cumin
- caraway seeds
- both

Also, should I add a bay leaf?

I just want to keep it simple; I have no mortar & pestle, or coffee grinder. :geno:

If you pop the cumin in hot fat, you don't need a grinding tool of any sort.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

CloseFriend posted:

I also bought some sumac at the same store and I'm open to suggestions for how to use that. I thought about making za'atar. I wanted to try it on roasted chicken or lamb, but because of its sour taste I don't know if I want to use it as one of the more dominant ingredients.

Put it on meat, any meat. If you are worried about the sour, just use less of it. You can't really get a feel for it until you've used it a few times.

I've never made my own, but I like za'tar a lot. It's mostly sumac anyway.

Sunshine89
Nov 22, 2009

therattle posted:

Good god no. Waste of money and space. No-knead gives excellent results for slightly more effort. Check out the bread thread which links to the no-knead thread.

Will do. When I tried to make my own bread, it didn't rise enough and was too pale; the stone sounds better than a machine.

Also, torching meat?

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

What are some good spices to use in Asian food? I've been relying heavily on cumin, ginger, and curry powder, and I'm getting kinda tired of those.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Assuming you mean Asian as in Indian, rather than Asian as in East Asian, get hold of some turmeric, cardamom, fenugreek, coriander and garam masala. Cinnamon is pretty handy, too.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 19, 2013

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
An oven is infinitely better than a bread machine, and kneading is fun! Ive never seen anything good come out of a bread maker.

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003
Is there a consensus here on SA about an awesome chili recipe? I got a slow cooker for Christmas, want to make chili, but my mom's and everyone else's recipes are basically "semi home-made" using canned salsa and pre-packaged spices as the main flavors.

Bacteriophage
May 2, 2005
CELLUAR LYSIS!
Need some old school Korean knowledge.

So I'm feeling super ambitious this year and want to try to make my own gochujang and doejang. I grew up with homemade gochujang and doejang but alas I moved away and now I no longer have access to the homemade versions and the commercial stuff doesn't hold a candle to my grandma's stuff.

Now the gochujang looks relatively "easy" to make (plan to grow and dry my own peppers and from what I've read most of the ingredients are fairly easy to get) but I'm stumped on the doejang, especially the meju part. Now from what I've read and what my grandma has said about it, it smells terrible and I doubt my boyfriend will be happy with a slowly fermenting block of soybean paste stinking up the house. I've seen a bunch of recipes talk about commercially made meju but I'm having a hard time finding it here in the states (online and in store, if it helps I live in Houston). Anyone have an old Korean relative they can hit up for some knowledge? My grandma is being intentionally vague about it and just tells me to buy the commercial stuff ("it will make your house smell, don't do it") but drat it I want to make my own.

Any tips/help?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

The particular recipe is all you, but the general technique is to get a few pounds of meat (stew beef and pork rib are good choices), make sure they're in appropriate-sized chunks, and sear them very nicely in hot oil. Since you're using a slow-cooker, deglaze the pan you seared them in with some beer, and then pour the beef/fond slurry into your slow cooker along with your meat. Cover it with beef stock, then add a pound or two of assorted fresh chili peppers, chopped, to your taste, as well as a very healthy dose of chili powder (homemade is definitely the way to go on this, check out HoChiWaWa's guide on the wiki), and a fair amount of (grind it fresh) cumin. At this point you can also doctor it up in lots of ways, to your taste. I like a classic Texas-style chili, so I don't mess around with beans or tomato or or what not, but I won't say those things are unacceptable, and they can be added here (I'd cook the beans separately until they're starting to get soft but still sort of crumbly/crunchy, and then add them to the pot when it's got an hour or so left). Some Mexican oregano is a good choice, as is a shot of molasses and/or tequila. Garlic couldn't possibly hurt, and (like onion, if you want to include it), it should be sauteed a bit in the pan you seared the meat in before adding to the pot.

You can also roast your fresh chilis beforehand to get some of that smoky flavor in there. If you have a grill, there are several posters here who advocate grilling your meat rather than searing it in a pan. If you have a smoker, some recommend smoking the meat. If you can get a marrow bone (in a couple of pieces) to fit into your slow-cooker it's a great idea, adding a lot of richness.

Anyway, when you've got all your stuff assembled, cook for several hours until the meat is falling apart and a fork can stand upright in the pot. I mean, a more liquid chili is totally acceptable, but I like the thick kind. Sometimes if I'm doing it in a slow-cooker rather than a pot and I can't get a lot of liquid out of it because of the lid I'll toss in a bit of masa harina to thicken it up, which works a treat.

My favorite way to eat chili is just as a good-sized spoonful on a piece of toast. It's also great to use in a baked potato, or over rice. If it's too spicy, top it with cheese and sour cream and have a beer alongside. And good luck!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

CloseFriend posted:

I bought a hunk of fresh galangal yesterday and I really want to use it. Any recipe ideas? I've had chicken and Thai food on the mind lately, if that narrows it down any.

Tom ka gai! My favorite use of galangal.

Comic
Feb 24, 2008

Mad Comic Stylings

Fremry posted:

Is there a consensus here on SA about an awesome chili recipe? I got a slow cooker for Christmas, want to make chili, but my mom's and everyone else's recipes are basically "semi home-made" using canned salsa and pre-packaged spices as the main flavors.

Check the Chili Thread, I know there's one recipe at least that surfaced many times with recommendations but I can't find it at the moment. Making your own chili powder (recipe on the wiki!) and using a roast that has cut into chunks rather than ground beef are two recommendations I recall however. And to drop the tomatoes and bell peppers.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Can someone explain how leaving milk and yogurt out for 3 days at room temp won't taste like rear end?

http://www.marthastewart.com/873688/homemade-cottage-cheese

Also, will cooking at medium/low for 20min will kill everything that's gone bad in there? Maybe I shouldn't try this thing since my wife is pregnant. Its part of a sub-recipe for syrnikis.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Can someone explain how leaving milk and yogurt out for 3 days at room temp won't taste like rear end?

Also, will cooking at medium/low for 20min will kill everything that's gone bad in there? Maybe I shouldn't try this thing since my wife is pregnant. Its part of a sub-recipe for syrnikis.

You're inoculating the milk with the yogurt cultures. Not all bacteria are bad. They should list the cultures on the back of the yogurt container. Anyway. It should be perfectly safe for preggers. No worse than yogurt, kefir, any other probiotic food/supplement. Since this is a bacterial culture, you have to practice good sanitizing practices. Sanitize all surfaces and utensils that will come in contact with the medium.

Also if the 3 days at room temp thing bothers you I suggest never eating cheese again. There are cheddars that are older than these forums.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

GrAviTy84 posted:

You're inoculating the milk with the yogurt cultures. Not all bacteria are bad. They should list the cultures on the back of the yogurt container. Anyway. It should be perfectly safe for preggers. No worse than yogurt, kefir, any other probiotic food/supplement. Since this is a bacterial culture, you have to practice good sanitizing practices. Sanitize all surfaces and utensils that will come in contact with the medium.

Also if the 3 days at room temp thing bothers you I suggest never eating cheese again. There are cheddars that are older than these forums.

Well its not the age that bothers me so much as its ME thats actually aging the stuff. I'll take you up on the sanitation stuff and give it a shot.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

RazorBunny posted:

Tom ka gai! My favorite use of galangal.

Thank you for this, you reminded me that I had a bunch of galangal lurking in the fridge so I just made a giant pot of tom ka gai and it is very tasty indeed.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Well its not the age that bothers me so much as its ME thats actually aging the stuff. I'll take you up on the sanitation stuff and give it a shot.

I should say that there is a possibility of contamination but they are completely diagnosable. Do the research and all but off the top of my head: black/green/blue mold, pink/red/orange slime/growth, smelling like a bandaid, bottom of a trash can, etc are signs of contamination. the easiest way to tell is to trust your nose/eyes. If it looks/smells rancid, don't trust it. The types of contamination you'd see in this culture are the same that you'd see in a container of sour cream you forgot about in the back of the fridge or that block of cream cheese in the cheese drawer or whatever. It's most likely something you've seen before and recognized as bad.

Hold The Onions
Nov 5, 2009

Dedmo5 amd Skroleks
I need some help identifying/finding an ingredient. I've been to a Chinese (Shanghai) restaurant a few times, and enjoyed a dish that translated as "Shredded Pork with Dried Beancurd and Salted Preserved Vegetable". The beancurd was cut into thin rectangular strips, with a dark outside and a very firm texture, and after some Google searching I think it could be Five Spice Dried Tofu (五香豆腐) but I'm not sure.

I'm going to look in my nearest Chinese supermarket soon, but since I can't speak/read Mandarin and I don't know where to look, does it tend to be refrigerated or is it completely dry/shelf stable?

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer
This is a shameful question. However, I can't find it on the internet.
You know Chinese BBQ pork? The premade stuff you can buy at the grocery store? Well, when I was in Portland I ordered some at a restaurant and it was served hot, with some tasty sauce. It was amazing. Apparently(according to the lady at a butcher shop I go to) there is a way to cook the premade stuff.(I tried just cooking it in a pan, it was not very good)
Anyone know how? My wife hates the stuff so I don't want to go top the effort of making the whole thing from scratch.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
You are asking how to make the sauce? Or how to heat up precooked pork? If it was that neon red sauce its called char siu, and most grocery stores that have an ethnic corner for soy sauce and Mexican candles will sell a dry packet mix of it you can pour over your premade meat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Someone sent my wife a packet of frozen kefir grains. It sat in our fridge for a while. 1. It smells a bit mouldy. Is it still good? 2. If so, what the hell do I do with it? It's for fermenting milk, so my guess is add to milk, leave out of the fridge lightly covered for a day or two until it starts bubbling, then refrigerate?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Shaocaholica posted:

It should be safe, but if it were me I wouldn't make it for a pregnant person.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
How cook broccoli rabe? I have some pork side I think would go well with it, but I don't know how best to prep it.

Also, making mayo with three week old egg: good or bad idea? It sinks in a cup...

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

ashgromnies posted:

How cook broccoli rabe? I have some pork side I think would go well with it, but I don't know how best to prep it.

Also, making mayo with three week old egg: good or bad idea? It sinks in a cup...

Clean the broccoli rabe well because it can be sandy. Drain and shake off the water, but don't dry completely. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat with a few shakes of crushed hot pepper. Smash a bunch of garlic cloves and lightly brown in the pan. Throw in your still damp broccoli rabe and cover for a few minutes so it can steam a bit. Be careful here because the oil can splatter, so don't do a leaf at time; just throw it all in. Toss with tongs so it's coated nicely. Salt and pepper to taste.

I've never tried putting an egg in water, but they generally last for-friggen-ever in the refrigerator. Crack it open in a separate bowl and give it a sniff. You'll know if it's bad.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
I've got about a cup of browned butter solids (we made a LOT of ghee) leftover. Any ideas to use them or should I just toss em?

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
I really loved this dish I got from a Greek restaurant, so I tried making this recipe. It was pretty good, but the lamb seemed a little dry and tough which is not how it was in the restaurant. The recipe says 300F for 1.5-2 hours, but I probably did more like 75 minutes (plus the 20 at 350 with pasta). I've never cooked lamb before, though, so is there a chance it was underdone even though it tasted overdone? Should I get use a smaller pot maybe? The lamb was about halfway submerged in the sauce.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

geetee posted:

Clean the broccoli rabe well because it can be sandy. Drain and shake off the water, but don't dry completely. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat with a few shakes of crushed hot pepper. Smash a bunch of garlic cloves and lightly brown in the pan. Throw in your still damp broccoli rabe and cover for a few minutes so it can steam a bit. Be careful here because the oil can splatter, so don't do a leaf at time; just throw it all in. Toss with tongs so it's coated nicely. Salt and pepper to taste.

I've never tried putting an egg in water, but they generally last for-friggen-ever in the refrigerator. Crack it open in a separate bowl and give it a sniff. You'll know if it's bad.

I wouldn't hesitate eating the eggs cooked, I'm juš wondering if it's riskier with mayo where it would be raw.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Bunk posted:

I really loved this dish I got from a Greek restaurant, so I tried making this recipe. It was pretty good, but the lamb seemed a little dry and tough which is not how it was in the restaurant. The recipe says 300F for 1.5-2 hours, but I probably did more like 75 minutes (plus the 20 at 350 with pasta). I've never cooked lamb before, though, so is there a chance it was underdone even though it tasted overdone? Should I get use a smaller pot maybe? The lamb was about halfway submerged in the sauce.

If it was dry and tough, it was overdone. Did you temp it at all? It could be your oven runs hotter than the 300 to which it's set, which would dry it right out over the course of 90 minutes. In fact, 300 is a bit high for a braise, which is what this recipe looks like. I'd do 250 or 200 for longer. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that when cooking meat, only use the "cook at X degrees for Y length of time" as a guideline - there are too many variables that could cause issues. Getting an accurate thermometer and temping it frequently is the only surefire way to avoid overcooking it in the future.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

If it was dry and tough, it was overdone. Did you temp it at all? It could be your oven runs hotter than the 300 to which it's set, which would dry it right out over the course of 90 minutes. In fact, 300 is a bit high for a braise, which is what this recipe looks like. I'd do 250 or 200 for longer. Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that when cooking meat, only use the "cook at X degrees for Y length of time" as a guideline - there are too many variables that could cause issues. Getting an accurate thermometer and temping it frequently is the only surefire way to avoid overcooking it in the future.

Thanks, yeah I have a thermometer but I wasn't checking at all. I'll try lowering the heat next time and keeping an eye on the internal temp. Would it be worthwhile to get a smaller pot so the meat would be fully covered by sauce, or is 'mostly covered' going to be fine (maybe flipping it a couple of times)?

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

geetee posted:

Have you ever had broccoli rabe before? I ask because if you do this method (which I wholly recommend) WITHOUT blanching the broccoli rabe first, you may find it extremely bitter and unpleasant. I would suggest that you blanche the broccoli rabe first:

Bring a large amount of water (the more the better) to a boil.
Season it HEAVILY -- for blanching in the restaurant we typically would use 1c of kosher salt per gallon of water, but "tastes like the ocean" is a good reference as well.
Drop your broccoli rabe (roughly cut into bite sized pieces) into the boiling water for ~45 seconds. Immediately transfer to an ice bath to halt the cooking process.
Then proceed with the aforementioned olive oil, garlic, chili flake method. I know it seems like a pain in the rear end, especially if it's not a lot of rabe, but I think you will definitely enjoy it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

angor posted:

I've got about a cup of browned butter solids (we made a LOT of ghee) leftover. Any ideas to use them or should I just toss em?

Mix them into some sautéed brussels sprouts or your favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe -- instant depth of flavor.