Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

bobkatt013 posted:

What were they expecting Death or Cake?

No kidding, the Nazis were a far cry from the Church of England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Kat R. Waulin posted:

Somebody posted this, with a comment about how Police should not be spending their time, and our taxes, on "harassing" honest citizens....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdEbe7e9GE&feature=youtu.be

I feel sorry for the cop. He was just doing his job, and stepped into a big pile of crazy.

Odds of the poster being in favor of explicit racial profiling?

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
So, I braved the circle of some of my more unhinged relatives, and was blasted with this pretty appalling link to a video.

The constant cuts and juxtaposition were pretty jarring. I was curious, so I looked up the base video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvR5qTUOTuY

Pretty standard politicking, and I'm not sure if his grandad really did stop a lynching or not, but whatever.
It just seemed really weird to chop it up like that and so aggressively push tragedy in one's face.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Kat R. Waulin posted:

Somebody posted this, with a comment about how Police should not be spending their time, and our taxes, on "harassing" honest citizens....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfdEbe7e9GE&feature=youtu.be

I feel sorry for the cop. He was just doing his job, and stepped into a big pile of crazy.

I don't know nearly enough about the law to know if the claims made in the video are true or not. But if they are true, and it's totally legal to openly carry a loaded firearm around in public and that police officers aren't allowed to question someone doing that, then I hope the Officer gets in trouble.

If they don't like the laws they really ought to take it up with their state legislators.

That said, I'd prefer to live in a town where people didn't casually walk around with loaded guns strapped to their backs.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
Generally speaking, there's no universal law against it, and most places, especially out west, don't have laws on the books about that. In some areas, it's called "brandishing" and is illegal.

Most states allow "Open Carry" but it usually requires a permit.

Open carriers are usually the people too unhinged to qualify for a more sensible concealed carry, though.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
I saw a link posted to this article:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/01/lib-media-owes-romney-an-apology-chrysler-sends-jeep-jobs-to-china/

quote:

Lib Media Owes Romney an Apology – Chrysler Sends Jeep Jobs to China
Posted by Jim Hoft on Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 3:54 PM

Remember this?
The liberal media went insane when Mitt Romney suggested that Chrysler was sending jobs to China.

Despite the Obama Campaign’s lies about the Catholic Church and Mitt Romney not paying taxes, the left-wing Politifact made Romney’s Chrysler China ad their “Lie of the year.”

Today Chrysler announced they were building Jeeps in China.
USA Today reported:

Fiat and Chrysler Group have reached an agreement to expand passenger car manufacturing and sales in China, officials said Tuesday.

Under the agreement, Guangzhou Automobile Group Co. Ltd. will build one Jeep model in China for Chrysler for sale in China. A specific model was not announced.

Zeng Qinghong, general manager and chief executive of Guangzhou Automobile Group, and Mike Manley, Jeep president and CEO and head of Chrysler’s international operations, signed the agreement at Chrysler headquarters here.

In September, Guangzhou began building the Fiat Viaggio in China.

Reading this article I just laughed because whats REALLY going on is Jeep is EXPANDING there presence in China. When I pointed this out this is what ensued:

(I just realized that when I took the image my full comment wasn't seen so here it is:)
Except when you actually read the story you are citing to prove the MSM wrong, which happens to be published in the MSM, and realize that in doesn’t say what you’re trying to imply it say. Romney’s ad was criticized because it implied that Chrysler would “move” Jeep production to China, as in take American jobs and move them there. What Chrysler was actually doing is expanding its manufacturing in China, for Jeeps that will be sold in China. Just like Nissan/Honda/Toyota etc build cars in America for sale in America. Nice try

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I saw this rant about "OMG" on my wall from a distant relative.

"What does Gods Word say in Exodus 20:7 Thou shall not take the name of The Lord thy God in vain !! Lately I've noticed the letters OMG (meaning Oh my God ) on everything !! clothing ,bags ,etc When I went to esso tags yesterday I seen bagged candy with the letters OMG on it!!! My heart was sad ! We say the words Oh my God everyday and think nothing of it now were labelling his name on clothes and food!! What next !! My heart was sad to see the letters OMG on a candy I can't help but to think how Gods heart is grieved over the manufacturing companies that are plastering His name all over these products and think nothing of it !! Gods Word says He WILL NOT hold him guiltless who take HiS name in vain !! And that's what they've done and are doing !! May God help us!!! Help us to pray !! And enlighten us to the things that are going in in this world today !!"

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Lion of Judah protect you, Jah be praised.
Since we are sharing oh so poignant and well thought out facebook posts, here is one from a self-proclaimed Libertarian friend of mine. First comment is from her best friend:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

SalTheBard posted:

I saw a link posted to this article:
http://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2013/01/lib-media-owes-romney-an-apology-chrysler-sends-jeep-jobs-to-china/

Reading this article I just laughed because whats REALLY going on is Jeep is EXPANDING there presence in China. When I pointed this out this is what ensued:

(I just realized that when I took the image my full comment wasn't seen so here it is:)
Except when you actually read the story you are citing to prove the MSM wrong, which happens to be published in the MSM, and realize that in doesn’t say what you’re trying to imply it say. Romney’s ad was criticized because it implied that Chrysler would “move” Jeep production to China, as in take American jobs and move them there. What Chrysler was actually doing is expanding its manufacturing in China, for Jeeps that will be sold in China. Just like Nissan/Honda/Toyota etc build cars in America for sale in America. Nice try

Someone needs to point out to Ralph that shipping completed cars across the goddamn Pacific Ocean is kinda expensive.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

crowoutofcontext posted:

I saw this rant about "OMG" on my wall from a distant relative.

"What does Gods Word say in Exodus 20:7 Thou shall not take the name of The Lord thy God in vain !! Lately I've noticed the letters OMG (meaning Oh my God ) on everything !! clothing ,bags ,etc When I went to esso tags yesterday I seen bagged candy with the letters OMG on it!!! My heart was sad ! We say the words Oh my God everyday and think nothing of it now were labelling his name on clothes and food!! What next !! My heart was sad to see the letters OMG on a candy I can't help but to think how Gods heart is grieved over the manufacturing companies that are plastering His name all over these products and think nothing of it !! Gods Word says He WILL NOT hold him guiltless who take HiS name in vain !! And that's what they've done and are doing !! May God help us!!! Help us to pray !! And enlighten us to the things that are going in in this world today !!"

She knows that the Abrahamic god's name isn't "God" right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I for one can't wait to have some YHWH candy.

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib
Another one from Ralph.

quote:

Facts regarding gun control...a short history lesson. Please read how I summarized this post at the end.

LEST WE FORGET AND ALLOW HISTORY TO REPEAT ITSELF

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

GUNS IN THE HANDS OF HONEST CITIZENS SAVE LIVES AND PROPERTY. GUN CONTROL LAWS ONLY ADVERSELY AFFECT THE LAW ABIDING CITIZENS, NOT THE CRIMINALS.

My thoughts: this government just bought enough rounds of ammunition to exterminate most living things in our country including people. It would not surprise me!

I just...I just can't even begin. I think I might just defriend Ralph. I liked the guy but since 2008 he has gone loving nuts.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates
God drat. If only Guatemala hadn't used gun control to genocide all the Mayans in 1981, they could have let us know that the world wasn't really ending in 2012!

e: "In 1787, the Constitution of the United States included the second amendment. The United States proceeded to commit genocide sporadically for several hundred years. Obviously the right to bear arms is responsible for more genocide than gun control."

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 19, 2013

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Using the term 'gun control' without any qualifiers is about as vague as you can get. Anyone conflating gun control with TAKIN MAH GUNS is a moron, especially since many of those examples were not gun bans, such as the Hitler example that's been talked about a lot.

At any rate, the United States has had gun control laws for around 200 years.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I smartly decided a while ago to block all updates on facebook from a couple of my libertarian friends. I then decided to see what was up and saw all the things placed in this thread. Then I noticed on one of his likes that he thinks vaccines are dangerous. The kid used to seem smart.

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
Clearly if there had been guns during the Holodomor and the Great Leap Forward, people could have used them to avoid starvation by eating the ammunition or something.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

RagnarokAngel posted:

The CIA, FBI and NSA are simultaneously so pervasive they know every move of every single citizen but cant be assed to check if the most prolific man in the country was born there.

Being crazy conservative means you have to ignore a lot of poo poo. See: I need my guns to fight off the government, instead we should put armed government agents in every school.

SalTheBard posted:

Another one from Ralph.

I just...I just can't even begin. I think I might just defriend Ralph. I liked the guy but since 2008 he has gone loving nuts.

I know from looking it up a few days ago that the 1938 gun control in Germany was actually the Nazis loosening gun restrictions, saying everyone could have one as long as they're not a Jew. Before that you had to be approved by the government to own one at all. Now you just needed approval for handguns, and the age you needed to be was lowered to 18.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

THE GAYEST POSTER posted:

Being crazy conservative means you have to ignore a lot of poo poo. See: I need my guns to fight off the government, instead we should put armed government agents in every school.

No no, private security companies. Stimulate the economy.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

SalTheBard posted:

Another one from Ralph.

I know this may be a bit of a surprise but Ralph's list is bullshit. I've been to Guatemala. They don't have gun control. What they do have, in fact, is a poo poo load of guns. Like, everywhere. It's not uncommon to see people walking around or riding motorcycles with shotguns, rifles, handguns, whatever. This may be something of a coincidence, but Guatemala also has a poo poo load of murders and armed robberies. I don't know if those two things are related though, it's really impossible to tell. I will tell you one thing, the security guards with the machine guns in every fast food restaurant and retail store sure did make me feel super safe!

Leospeare
Jun 27, 2003
I lack the ability to think of a creative title.
So this isn't a crazy post, but I was very happy to see it on a friend's FB wall.

When the gun issue flared up, it seemed like every other update from her was a meme about how Safe Responsible Gun Owners can Stop Bad Guys and Protect All the Children, so Hands Off My Guns, Obama. However, that slowed down a lot in recent weeks, and then she shared this status update that someone else had written, with the comment "He makes some good points".

Friend of a friend posted:

So, here's my two cents (which will end up being closer to $1.50 I'm sure) and I'm sure I will regret posting this later, due to the "friends" I will lose while exercising my First Amendment, but here goes.

Instead of posting a meme with a picture and a falsely attributed quote or a made up statistic, I've spent my time researching the gun violence/gun control debate. And I'd like to talk about some of the pervasive themes I've seen lately.

First off, Hitler did not say "In order to conquer a country, you must first disarm its citizens." In fact, Hitler made it his position to enable guns to be obtained more easily. http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/disarm.asp

Secondly, the presidents, and I mean ALL of them, and their families, receive death threats on a daily basis. President Obama did not enact the regulations that REQUIRE Secret Service protection for him and his family. If you believe your children are as much of a target as the president's children, then you have a self inflated idea of your position in this world. http://www.secretservice.gov/protection.shtml

Thirdly, there is NO law or bill being considered that would allow anyone to come marching into your home to take your legally obtained and legally owned firearms. There are possible laws that are being explored that would require more responsibility on the part of the gun owner or person purchasing a gun (i.e. pass a background check even if buying a gun from a gun show dealer). If you buy a car from a dealer it must be registered (a record of the transfer is documented). If you buy a car from a private citizen, it must be registered. If you buy a gun from a dealer, there is a record of that sale and it is registered. So how is it illogical to require the same for private sales of firearms?

Fourth, there are not more people being killed with baseball bats than guns. If you disagree with that because you saw a picture stating otherwise on the internet, then I would like to offer you the chance to buy some oceanfront property in Arizona and I'll throw in the Brooklyn Bridge for free. There is no magical solution for solving the problem of gun violence. THAT is what we need to solve. http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/baseballbats.asp

We don't ban cars that are used in DUI related deaths, but we do enact regulations regarding blood alcohol limits, prosecute people who enable a drunk driver to operate a vehicle after serving them, promote a DUI campaign raising awareness and educating drivers on the dangers of driving while intoxicated. All of which has reduced DUI related fatalities by over 40% in a decade. http://www.centurycouncil.org/drunk-driving/drunk-driving-statistics

The media is not hiding other gun related stories because they want to sensationalize the problem, they are simply unable to cover every gun death story because there would be an average of 80 of them each day. So they concentrate (unfortunately) on the massacres which I think we can all agree, happen all too often.

I find the fact that more children are killed in the US by guns than in the entire Middle East region, very disturbing.
I find it disturbing that the NRA blames the rise in violent shootings on video games and then comes out with its own shooting video game (categorized for children as young as 4 years of age) less than a month after Newtown.
I find it disturbing that other countries spend in excess of twice as much as the US on violent video games and have a small fraction of the amount of gun related deaths/injuries.
I find it disturbing that instead of looking for a solution to a problem like Newtown, there are people wasting their time and energy by trying to turn it into a conspiracy theory.
I find it disturbing that guns are the third largest killer of children ages 5-14 in the US.
I find it disturbing that a child in America is 12 times more likely to be killed with a gun than the rest of the "developed" world.
I find it disturbing that there are more guns privately owned in America than the next SEVENTEEN countries combined.
I find it disturbing that all of these statistics are not discussed but fake statistics about a baseball bat death rate are plastered everywhere.
I find it disturbing that some people believe that the ONLY answer to this problem is more guns.
Banning all firearms is NOT the answer, which is exactly why it's not being proposed. This country has enacted laws that didn't work before, so they've been revised, repealed, reformed, etc. It's ludicrous to think that as a society, we evolve, but the laws governing us cannot? The NRA states that the assault weapons ban didn't work the first time. Well, you know what they say, "If at first you don't succeed, f*%k it.".

If armed guards are the only answer to ending school shootings, then explain the VT shooting. Virginia Tech had an entire police department complete with a SWAT unit. Explain Columbine, which had an armed officer on staff. When discussing an end to gun violence in schools, there should be NOTHING left off of the table.

Ronald Reagan, a huge gun proponent and signor of the Brady Bill, wrote to Congress in 1994 asking them to propose legislation limiting or stopping altogether the manufacture of guns classified as assault weapon. And anyone saying "assault weapon" is a made up term should remember that every word in every language is, in fact, made up.

And yes, criminals don't typically obey laws, but we still have them. Can you use that logic to say there should be none at all? No.
Let me be clear, I am NOT anti gun. I have nothing against guns or responsible gun owners. I served proudly in the military, I worked in armed security, I've hunted, and enjoy target shooting since I was a kid. And I'm sure most gun enthusiasts are the same way. However, this issue should be discussed logically and rationally, and all I see are comments and pictures that are anything but rational and for the most part, are just viral, inflammatory, unresearched, vitriol.

The president enacted 23 executive actions today, of which only 2 have anything to do with limiting the availability of a category of gun or a magazine capacity. The remaining 21 deal with aspects regarding background checks, school safety and mental health system requirements and deficiencies. Will it be a perfect solution? No. Will it help? We'll see. Is it better than doing nothing? Definitely. If we keep using the statement, "It's too soon to talk about it." after each tragedy, pretty soon, we'll never talk about it.
OK, so maybe it ended up closer to $2.00 instead of 2 cents. So sue me.

swiss_army_chainsaw
Apr 10, 2007

Come, the new Jerusalem

SalTheBard posted:

Remember when conservatives would whine about liberals having "Bush derangement syndrome"? Well, they're the ones who came up with the idea...

Leospeare, your friend of a friend warms the cockles of my blackened heart.

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.
AIM was trying to sell me on this today.

http://power4patriots.com/video/

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos

Ratspeaker posted:

gently caress this troll website, give me my five minutes back. He says about 100 times he will tell us the secret but just babbles on about stupid bullshit backstory. The video player was messed up and I couldn't skip forward or even see how long it was.

anything576
Sep 26, 2010

Ratspeaker posted:

Seriously, does this video do anything beyond fear mongering and talking about THEM LIEBERALS. I've had it on in the background for 10 minutes, and it still hasn't divulged the 1 weird trick power companies don't want you to know.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Ratspeaker posted:

Use this mom's one weird trick to build a perpetual motion machine!

I loving hate those 'weird trick' ads.

Ghost of Reagan Past fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jan 19, 2013

Cygna
Mar 6, 2009

The ghost of a god is no man.

anything576 posted:

Seriously, does this video do anything beyond fear mongering and talking about THEM LIEBERALS. I've had it on in the background for 10 minutes, and it still hasn't divulged the 1 weird trick power companies don't want you to know.

I couldn't make it to the end, but it's supposedly some kind of scam about building your own solar panels.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Ratspeaker posted:

Patriots mentioned in URL (always a bad sign).

"weird trick" mentioned in title.

Cites "The Blaze.com"

Annoying drawing-as-story-is-told style.

I think he obscured his trick or secret at least six times in the first four minutes.

Audio quality varies wildly after the first five minutes.

Yea, this is a real convincing video all right. I am now totally convinced that the secret to free power is somehow being able to create complex electricity generators and pretend they are easy to put together.

Also the term "Underground Solar Expert" is pretty hilarious.

Cacatua
Jan 17, 2006

Leospeare posted:

So this isn't a crazy post, but I was very happy to see it on a friend's FB wall.

When the gun issue flared up, it seemed like every other update from her was a meme about how Safe Responsible Gun Owners can Stop Bad Guys and Protect All the Children, so Hands Off My Guns, Obama. However, that slowed down a lot in recent weeks, and then she shared this status update that someone else had written, with the comment "He makes some good points".

I saw that on a friend's wall too.

It's kind of sad when you get to the point where you are surprised to see something that isn't completely loony posted on facebook.

Technogeek
Sep 9, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

Ratspeaker posted:

I was honestly hoping for something like this when you mentioned AIM:

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Ratspeaker posted:

Wasn't there some other video almost exactly like this one where it taught you how to pick up girls or something? It had the same technique of going on and on and on and never actually telling you anything. What the hell are these things? It even had that same exact drawing animation thing.

Kat R. Waulin
Jul 30, 2012
Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

Wasn't there some other video almost exactly like this one where it taught you how to pick up girls or something? It had the same technique of going on and on and on and never actually telling you anything. What the hell are these things? It even had that same exact drawing animation thing.

I fell for the weight loss, one. It was cheaper than Weight Watchers, but the information was nothing new. And the first 'tip', was telling me how to set up my "before" picture for maximum effect.
For instance, taking it in the morning, when you're puffy from sleep, and making sure there are no shadows, and very bright light, to make you look less defined.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

High school friend of mine posted this in a comment thread about the Sandy Hook conspiracy video. This was the only response I could muster.

Troll Bridgington
Dec 22, 2011

Keeping up foreign relations.

Erkenntnis posted:

High school friend of mine posted this in a comment thread about the Sandy Hook conspiracy video. This was the only response I could muster.

I particularly like the fact that according to him, if there was an illuminati plot to destroy America from the inside, only the liberals are involved, and conservatives are completely innocent.

Have you removed him yet?

Gourd of Taste
Sep 11, 2006

by Ralp
So where did this 'Chicago is the blueprint for gun control' meme come from, it's made out to be a quote but I can't going that quote (and feel like it would be a dumb thing to say)

Not trying to start a gun control discussion just really interested in where these things take shape

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Ratspeaker posted:

The thing that gets me about these is that if this technology was real, power companies would already be using it. It wouldn't suddenly cause them to cease to exist, it would just massively improve their profit margins. Power companies don't love oil, gas, and coal because they have massive hard-ons for carbon-based fuel. They love them because they're cheap. Give them an even cheaper source of power and they'd leave them behind as fast as they could. That's a big reason for the slowdown in coal production, because there's been a huge natural gas boom, driving the cost of gas way down compared to coal.

But here's technology that would allow them to make free energy, so that their only cost of business would be maintaining the electrical infrastructure and maintenance of this magic technology. And they could sell that energy for the same cost per kWh that they do now without hurting demand; but they're saying "gently caress this massive profit machine, we must cover it up!"

Sarion
Dec 24, 2003

Gourd of Taste posted:

So where did this 'Chicago is the blueprint for gun control' meme come from, it's made out to be a quote but I can't going that quote (and feel like it would be a dumb thing to say)

Not trying to start a gun control discussion just really interested in where these things take shape

Actually a quick google search strongly suggests that Chicago does in fact have some of the strictest gun control laws in the country. By which I mean, you're allowed to own guns in Chicago.

Guns are legal, since an outright ban and disarming of the populace are unconstitutional; but their sale is restricted or possibly even banned within Chicago. However, people just go to neighboring counties to get their guns; and one article from the Chicago-Sun that I found suggests that there's also a known, gun-trafficking route from Mississippi to Chicago.

If anything, Chicago's laws speak volumes about why doing things on a Federal level are so important (not specific to guns, but most things in general). If one small area tries to ban something, people will just travel short distances to get or do what they want where it is legal. Kind of like banning the sale of alcohol on Sundays doesn't stop people from driving drunk, cause they can still buy alcohol elsewhere nearby.

KillerJunglist
May 22, 2007

Erkenntnis posted:

Ask a liberal anything and you will get a lot of empty rhetoric.

*Spouts a bunch of empty rhetoric, talking points and vague conspiracy nonsense.*

I too hope you have defriended this person, or at least unsubscribed to their feed.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Crossposting from the "Idiots on Facebook" PYF thread:

I have vastly more right wing Facebook "friends" than liberals due to the paths I've trod during my career. Despite this, and through two Obama elections, I've seen precious little in the way of obnoxious image macros etc. I know many of my FB friends have exactly the beliefs espoused in these macros, but I attribute their reluctance to post such idiocy to the fact that my acquaintances are about twenty years older than the average SA forums poster, and as established professionals, (rightly) feel they have much more to lose than to gain by posting political screeds, no matter how strongly felt the beliefs.

For some reason, it wasn't even the election, but it was this Sandy Hook shooting business and the ensuing national gun "discussion" that have finally brought things to some kind of tipping point and I'm starting to see idiotic pro-gun image macros. I don't know if it's this issue itself and the fact that people feel even more strongly about it than a secret Kenyan Muslim Commie Usurper declaring himself dictator for life over America, or the fact that this is the first huge hot button political issue since the election, and right wingers are pouring their impotent rage over the election into this particular fight in addition to the the usual American gun lunacy.

Whatever the reason, my initial response is to deactivate people so their posts don't show up on my feed, with a low threshold to "defriend".

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
Guns are apparently the thing that makes people flip the gently caress out. And we're not talking about implementing or even proposing significant measures. Simply talking about guns makes people go insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
I have relatives who are mostly non-political, maybe posted some dumb bullshit around election time, but keep it pretty quiet. But this Sandy Hook thing has blown my wall the gently caress up with all the bad meme images liked from the Tea Party's page, STOP OBAMA pages, etc. None of them really stuck out, until this one today:

At first I thought it was a joke, but no, it's entirely earnest. Look at that loving Obama. They even gave him evil speech bubbles!