Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I think you may have listed the wrong time or date because he isn't playing any songs around that time. He is on a pretty funny rant though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterios
Apr 17, 2008

So long, Skorpex!

https://www.presidentbaby.com
Here's the song for those who are curious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_msHpEa3_Y

Past Tense Ragu
Oct 17, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

I think you may have listed the wrong time or date because he isn't playing any songs around that time. He is on a pretty funny rant though.

I was using the podcast version without any songs at the beginning, so the time was off. By the way, 9/23/08 is a loving stellar episode, with some truly hilarious Wurster calls and really funny Spike dismissals.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Anybody have a Friends of Tom card? I'm not sure if I have it or not.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Heh, I'm listening to the first episode (that is available ) and it's like watching something from the first season of the Simpsons. Everything is there, but it's all sort of off.

shut up netface
Jun 15, 2008

Billy Gnosis posted:

Is it possible that is a Spike is a deep-cover Jon Wurster character?

Christ, id hope so.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe
It still amazes me that Nardwuar is a real guy rather than a Wurster character.

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

The Bunk posted:

It still amazes me that Nardwuar is a real guy rather than a Wurster character.

There are pictures of them together, and I'm still not 100% convinced they are aren't photoshopped .

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Been catching up on some of the later episodes and one of my favorite things ever has to be Spike being the very first caller on the emergency cell phone show.

Bundt Cake
Aug 17, 2003
;(

Billy Gnosis posted:

Is it possible that is a Spike is a deep-cover Jon Wurster character?

He sounds exactly like Fred Stoller, so thats my theory.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Bundt Cake posted:

He sounds exactly like Fred Stoller, so thats my theory.

Spike sounds more like a gay Droopy Dog than anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXT7thyvhcs

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Spike's also gone through a strangely large amount of character development.

Years ago, when he first started calling, he was just a gimmick caller who would shout "Where's Debbie!" and until Tom hung up on him. For a while he was pretty much in the same league as the Mr. T soundboard.

After Tom coaxed him into talking, Spike went through a phase where he insisted that he lived in an S&M dungeon and one where he pretended to be writing a book called "Weirdos Exposed".

Modern do-wop loving woman hating Spike is a relatively recent development.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I thought the S&M dungeon was just an invention of Tom's? Spike pretending to read from Weirdos Exposed was one the funniest moments on the show ever though.

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

NESguerilla posted:

I thought the S&M dungeon was just an invention of Tom's?

The dungeon is vintage Spike. I can't remember the last time he mentioned it, though. Must have been years ago.

The Weirdos Exposed reading was amazing. That episode and Petey's Birthday party reached Curb Your Enthusiasm levels of cringworthy humor.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Wow, that just made me realize how long that dude has been calling in. I've been a regular listening for at least 6 or 7 years and now that I think about it Spike was already his current self.

Also, I don't know if people are joking when they question if he a character or not, but he's most defiantly is a real person. A bunch of people have met him at WFMU events.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

NESguerilla posted:

Also, I don't know if people are joking when they question if he a character or not, but he's most defiantly is a real person. A bunch of people have met him at WFMU events.

They're all just in on the conspiracy. :tinfoil:

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
Does the recent "Madman,Man and Man" Gem have a follow up? It kind of ends on an odd note for a Wurster call.

binky the doormat
Apr 22, 2008
I think they just switched it up from the usual call-ending insanity for the sake of variety/for the hell of it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Where's last week show on iTunes? Arghhh

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

COUNTIN THE BILLIES posted:

Where's last week show on iTunes? Arghhh

Came here to post this and ask if there is a way to download so I can put in on my iPhone. All I can find is streaming of the WFMU website.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Groucho Marxist posted:

Came here to post this and ask if there is a way to download so I can put in on my iPhone. All I can find is streaming of the WFMU website.

You can stream or download off of the WFMU app.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
The AV Club comments on this article about him mocking AV Club comments are great in terms of how humourlessly they take it.

TransatlanticFoe
Mar 1, 2003

Hell Gem

Groucho Marxist posted:

http://mp3archives.wfmu.org/archive/BS/bs130115.mp3

You can plug the date into that file name to get any show available for streaming, and it actually has the songs from the beginning of each show.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

GraPar posted:

The AV Club comments on this article about him mocking AV Club comments are great in terms of how humourlessly they take it.

Hahaha. That's pretty great.

I hope he brings back the slide whistle in the future. I completely lost it at work during that part and everyone was looking at me like I was crazy.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?

TransatlanticFoe posted:

http://mp3archives.wfmu.org/archive/BS/bs130115.mp3

You can plug the date into that file name to get any show available for streaming, and it actually has the songs from the beginning of each show.

It's actually up on iTunes now, but thanks for the advice in case this happens again.

PepeSilvia
Mar 17, 2009

In case anybody hasn't seen it, Tom directed an Aimee Mann video last year that's relevant to this week's Best Show Gems, in which Jon reenacts the Voices Carry video as "the guy who took [her] to the opera." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA1cX-wgMdM

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

PepeSilvia posted:

In case anybody hasn't seen it, Tom directed an Aimee Mann video last year that's relevant to this week's Best Show Gems, in which Jon reenacts the Voices Carry video as "the guy who took [her] to the opera." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA1cX-wgMdM

Also look for Ted Leo, as one of the band members, wearing a hilarious wig.

GraPar
Jun 2, 2011
Good interview: http://www.avclub.com/articles/scharpling-wurster-pick-their-favorite-best-show-g,91510/

Also, in that they mention the Bruce Springsteen biographer call that came up in Best Show Gems a few weeks back and I don't think got mentioned in this thread, but is an all time classic.

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

GraPar posted:

Good interview: http://www.avclub.com/articles/scharpling-wurster-pick-their-favorite-best-show-g,91510/

Also, in that they mention the Bruce Springsteen biographer call that came up in Best Show Gems a few weeks back and I don't think got mentioned in this thread, but is an all time classic.

Man, AV Club commenters really took that ribbing last week personal.

Rush Hour Renegade
Jul 8, 2008

The Bunk posted:

Man, AV Club commenters really took that ribbing last week personal.

Tom reading their comments was one of my favorite things he's done in recent memory. I do enjoy the AV Club's articles but their comment section might as well be Reddit with all of the unfunny memes and quotes they use repeatedly. I'm going to listen to this week's Best Show tonight on my way home from work and can't wait to hear if he talks about them throwing a collective tantrum.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

This weeks episode is one of the funniest in a while. My favorite part of the show is when Tom rambles and makes fun of everything and there is a hell of a lot of it.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

NESguerilla posted:

This weeks episode is one of the funniest in a while. My favorite part of the show is when Tom rambles and makes fun of everything and there is a hell of a lot of it.

Yesss me too. I listened to it a bit yesterday and it's good one. Last week's was good too.

GraPar posted:

Love those Gems too.

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

That's a really good interview, but the comments are just something else. It's amazing and hilarious how angry they all are.

e:

Scharpling and Wurster are ranked 31 in Rolling Stone's 50 funniest people. That's behind Jerry Seinfeld and Bill Maher among other no longer amusing people though so probably not something to set your watch by.

EmotionlessThug fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Jan 25, 2013

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

If Scharpling made fun of how unfunny goons are with a slide whistle it would make my day. Especially if he was reading something I wrote. I don't know why those guys are so butthurt about it.

Doughy Fresh
Jun 15, 2007

Isn't that dangerous?

GraPar posted:

Some of my favorite Wurster calls are the ones where he just makes up fake trivia about famous people. I think my all-time favorite one is the Brock Peuch "call from a hero" from January 16, 2007, where he riffs on the musical careers of famous news anchors(in addition to some other good stuff).

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

AP Mike appreciation show gave me tenders :3:

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Roosevelt posted:

AP Mike appreciation show gave me tenders :3:

That friend of Mike's call was really sweet.

So to balance out that sweetness, this picture that was tweeted around

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

And this is how Tom feels about AP Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MUL68ZeclcA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

Billy Gnosis posted:

That friend of Mike's call was really sweet.

this may be my favorite call of all time tbh.

she was really sweet on Mike.