Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

hedgecore posted:

Noted about Coen / Fargo. I'll add it to my list to research! ;)

Awesome. Yeah, whenever I'm driving on 394 in Minneapolis, I always smile when I see those freeway signs for Xenia Avenue that were in the background of the scene outside the restaurant where Jerry Lundegaard is explaining how his wife got "kidnapped."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Is there a thread where I can ask a general iPhone question? (Phone dies at 50% battery life :( )

ed

TY sir. VVVV

Zuhzuhzombie!! fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jan 17, 2013

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Is there a thread where I can ask a general iPhone question? (Phone dies at 50% battery life :( )

I think it would be here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3508117

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
I'm looking for an app to track daily wifi data usage on my 4th gen iPod Touch to get a more realistic picture of my use. The idea is to figure out what sort of plan I'd need if I switch to an iPhone around tax time. Any recommendations?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
For anyone that's been wanting OpenVPN support in iOS:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30362473
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/openvpn-connect/id590379981

quote:

This is an official Apple-sanctioned OpenVPN client developed by OpenVPN Technologies in collaboration with Apple.

:words:

We won't be able to open source the full iOS client because portions of it use Apple-proprietary APIs to integrate with the iOS VPN framework.
Wonder if they'll integrate it going forward or if it's signs of opening things up ever so slightly, at least for special use cases. Edit: never mind, looks like it's been a special use case thing for a while now, but OpenVPN support is still new.

japtor fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Jan 18, 2013

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

I have a PDF on my computer. I filled it out on my computer (it is a form). I saved it and when I open it on my computer, the text I entered in the form is still there.
I uploaded this PDF to my dropbox. When I open it on my phone (Using Dropbox or Kindle), it is blank.
How do I make sure the entered data moves with the PDF?

Also, I filled this form out a few times with different info and uploaded them all to dropbox. They have different file sizes in my dropbox, which makes sense since some have more entered than others. But when I open them they're all blank.

What gives?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

What happens when you open it in the default PDF viewer on iOS (email it to yourself) or something like iBooks? What are you using to annotate the PDF on your computer?

I assume it's a problem with the viewer you're using.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Not sure it'll be the same thing with forms, but I tested a PDF with a little annotation from Preview (OS X) in Readdle's Documents, which can switch between the built in iOS PDF viewer and their own "PDF Expert" one. Under the iOS viewer it didn't show up, but it did under the PDF Expert one (and with the separate PDF Expert app it was editable).

I suspected it might work if the PDF were flattened (made the annotations non editable), so I did that in PDF Expert and that got it working in the iOS viewer.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Speaking of Bluetooth I'm looking for something to play music through my speakers wirelessly without the use of an FM transmitter. I live in the city and trying to find an FM band that isn't used or static free is close to impossible.

I've been looking around for quite a while now and I think I found something that's perfect for me The Belkin Car Audio Connect; unfortunately the aux is in my glove compartment, and the cigarette charger is in the front of the car. The wire for the Belkin simply isn't long enough. Maybe my criteria is a bit too high, but I'm looking for the following...

1. Wirelessly connect to my phone when I enter the car. Pushing a button like the Belkin Car Audio Connect would be cool too, I do not want to go into my phone and pair it up every time.

2. Music through my car's speakers. There are some stupid Bluetooths which play music through the device instead of the car's speakers.

Any suggestions? Maybe even this? Griffin BlueTrip Aux

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

obi_ant posted:

Speaking of Bluetooth I'm looking for something to play music through my speakers wirelessly without the use of an FM transmitter. I live in the city and trying to find an FM band that isn't used or static free is close to impossible.

I've been looking around for quite a while now and I think I found something that's perfect for me The Belkin Car Audio Connect; unfortunately the aux is in my glove compartment, and the cigarette charger is in the front of the car. The wire for the Belkin simply isn't long enough. Maybe my criteria is a bit too high, but I'm looking for the following...

1. Wirelessly connect to my phone when I enter the car. Pushing a button like the Belkin Car Audio Connect would be cool too, I do not want to go into my phone and pair it up every time.

2. Music through my car's speakers. There are some stupid Bluetooths which play music through the device instead of the car's speakers.

Monoprice makes a pretty decent bluetooth receiver:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=2

I have one in my car and it works fine. Just make sure you get a USB cable with type A connectors on both ends. Looks functionally equivalent to the Griffin option, but only costs $15. :downs:

edit - price may go up slightly if you have to buy a cigarette to usb adapter, if your car doesn't already have a usb port.

SwiftStrikerInc
Feb 5, 2002
[img]platypus[/img] The platypus stands as a testament to my own stupidity

xzzy posted:

Monoprice makes a pretty decent bluetooth receiver:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=108&cp_id=10827&cs_id=1082704&p_id=7364&seq=1&format=2

I have one in my car and it works fine. Just make sure you get a USB cable with type A connectors on both ends. Looks functionally equivalent to the Griffin option, but only costs $15. :downs:

edit - price may go up slightly if you have to buy a cigarette to usb adapter, if your car doesn't already have a usb port.

It looks like either of those might be better, I had wound up purchasing a TuneLink ~2 years back and although my original model had some issues, my replacement has been awesome. Nothing beats just getting into my car and not having to connect things to play music from my phone. I like how the Griffin one has a button but I haven't often felt the need for one and I'd rather use my headset for calls anyway.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
Is there an app that can track GPS and cell signal strength and generate a rough coverage map of where you've been?

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

obi_ant posted:

Thanks, I just spent $60 on that via Amazon.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Javid posted:

Is there an app that can track GPS and cell signal strength and generate a rough coverage map of where you've been?

Google Latitude will generate a map of where you've been. They don't have a map on the app though, it will send the data to their website.

It's not super accurate, like it won't track along roads, but it will give you a rough estimate from various points on a map.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Sieg posted:

Thanks, I just spent $60 on that via Amazon.

Let us know how that works because it looks perfect for my car.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Well, I was looking at double DIN head units with Bluetooth earlier this week, so if this works well, I will be happy (for a while).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
For anyone that maybe lays in bed using their Mac to watch movies, (and lots of other use cases...) I am LOVING the poo poo out of BTT Remote app.

You can lay in bed, and make VLC (or whatever app) play, pause, start, quit, volume up, down, go full screen, browse the file menu for more things to watch.
You can also create global OS commands like active app/screen switching, change volume, mess with iTunes, use a trackpad (which makes your mouse bigger so you can see from far away) and myriad other things, for like ANY program.

At $1.99, it's already incredibly valuable to me so I don't have to get up out of bed to change volume or start or stop a new show or movie.

Love it!

bulbous nub
Jul 29, 2007

It's ok; I'm taking it back.
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I actually have a BlueTrip. It works fine for Pandora, Spotify, whatever for music. Making calls and using Siri is a little bit of a pain. The BlueTrip actually has a microphone built into it and it doesn't pick up that well, at least in my car. As far as I can tell, there's no way to disable to that Microphone and just use the one built into the iPhone, so I either have to yell for the built in Mic to pick up or manually switch the phone to using the built in Mic.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bulbous nub posted:

I actually have a BlueTrip. It works fine for Pandora, Spotify, whatever for music. Making calls and using Siri is a little bit of a pain. The BlueTrip actually has a microphone built into it and it doesn't pick up that well, at least in my car. As far as I can tell, there's no way to disable to that Microphone and just use the one built into the iPhone, so I either have to yell for the built in Mic to pick up or manually switch the phone to using the built in Mic.

With the monoprice one, phone calls automatically route to the internal speaker/microphone. Not so good for handsfree calls but I don't use the phone while driving anyways, so it doesn't effect me. It is nice to have things work properly when I've turned on the car and haven't started moving yet.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
There's this app called AppGratis that features paid apps that are dropped in price to free "for 24 hours"; I just got Angry Birds Rio for free on its list of previous deals, which usually are still free for a while after.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

There's this app called AppGratis that features paid apps that are dropped in price to free "for 24 hours"; I just got Angry Birds Rio for free on its list of previous deals, which usually are still free for a while after.

FYI Angry Birds Rio is free all week because it's the iTunes free game of the week. It has nothing to do with AppGratis

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Plus Appshopper does that and more. Appshopper, remember it, tell your friends

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

echinopsis posted:

Didn't it get pulled?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

echinopsis posted:

Your friends can't get it anymore though, so you're basically just gloating :ohdear:

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

TheJoker138 posted:

Didn't it get pulled?

The website still works just fine, wish lists and all.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
What? The gently caress?

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

TheJoker138 posted:

Didn't it get pulled?

Yeah, it did. I find AppGratis a little less convoluted. I got AppShopper before it was pulled and my search criteria when browsing was basically what AppGratis does anyway. It's a good app and it's free, just try it out.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Does this app you're being paid to advertise also tell me when great apps have gone from $4 to $1? That is important information

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
No, just free, because I'm a cheapass, so it suits me perfectly. The only app I've ever bought is Sleep Cycle.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I use AppZapp

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/appzapp-free-paid-apps-price/id383151779?mt=8

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

This looks alright but it baffles me that this is allowed but AppShopper is a no go

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Chuck Bartowski posted:

This looks alright but it baffles me that this is allowed but AppShopper is a no go

AppShopper is high profile. I'm sure Apple will pull that app when someone notices it.

AppShopper is by far the best app price change/update tracker. It's a shame Apple pulled the app, but the site works just fine anyway.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

hypersleep posted:

AppShopper is by far the best app price change/update tracker. It's a shame Apple pulled the app, but the site works just fine anyway.

Is there a mobile version of the site? Whenever I follow a link from this thread it goes to the full page

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

Chuck Bartowski posted:

Is there a mobile version of the site? Whenever I follow a link from this thread it goes to the full page

There's no mobile version. I don't have a problem surfing the site on an iPhone or iPod touch, though. That said, I'm surprised that AppShopper hasn't made a mobile version since the app got pulled.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money
Does it really surprise you? The iPhone 5 was out for months before the app got pulled, and they never updated their app for the iPhone 5. A real shame, since my intention was to buy the IAP to remove the ads the minute they did update.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

bobfather posted:

Does it really surprise you? The iPhone 5 was out for months before the app got pulled, and they never updated their app for the iPhone 5. A real shame, since my intention was to buy the IAP to remove the ads the minute they did update.

I'm not sure what your point is.

A big update was in the pipeline when it got pulled apparently.

Prathm
Nov 24, 2005

Are there any good youtube-apps beside the official Google one?
I need in-app volume-adjustment.

Thirst Mutilator
Dec 13, 2008

Prathm posted:

Are there any good youtube-apps beside the official Google one?
I need in-app volume-adjustment.

Dunno if it has that, but Jasmine is a free alternative.

Rent
Jul 20, 2004
Steal the warm wind tired friend
Are there any apps on iOS that will keep an Excel spreadsheets locked/protected cells? Apparently Numbers unlocks them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Chuck Bartowski posted:

I'm not sure what your point is.

A big update was in the pipeline when it got pulled apparently.

The point is, they didn't and don't care about supporting their app. Ergo why would they have a mobile version of their site available?

And If I recall correctly, for iPhone 5 support it's a box you select in the devkit. And they couldn't even take that initiative in a timely fashion.

• Locked thread