Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Octopus Magic
Dec 19, 2003

I HATE EVERYTHING THAT YOU LIKE* AND I NEED TO BE SURE YOU ALL KNOW THAT EVERY TIME I POST

*unless it's a DSM in which case we cool ^_^

Dome S101 from 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Are those dampers rotating on single-shear pivots?

MrKatharsis
Nov 29, 2003

feel the bern

Collateral Damage posted:

I scrolled past this a bit too quickly at first and didn't realize what it was. That is awesome. Where do I buy one?

The only place I've ever seen them in the wild is Seattle, and they're not jacked up or modded at all.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/3511117094.html

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Palpatine MD posted:

Don't be modest, there are also hints of incestuous liaisons with a Testarossa and an SLS.

Let's not overcomplicate this, it's basically a baby RS200 with gullwing doors:

huge

And I'd buy like 10 of them if they were available in Europe :(

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Poing posted:

Are those dampers rotating on single-shear pivots?

Yes and it looks like it works just great so there's no need to obsess over it. Do you obsess over single sheer ever time you step outside and see a tree?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Giblet Plus! posted:

Yes and it looks like it works just great so there's no need to obsess over it. Do you obsess over single sheer ever time you step outside and see a tree?

I don't really understand what's going on here, can someone explain single shear anything to me?

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Slavvy posted:

I don't really understand what's going on here, can someone explain single shear anything to me?

1 single bolt serving as a pivot point on the dampers. This results in lots of shear (lateral) force put on it a single possible failure point, rather than spreading the force out over several to reduce the opportunity for failure and lessen stress on the bolts.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

How would you spread the force out to several bolts? Doesn't it ultimately have to pivot on some sort of shaft+bearing anyway? I don't see the big deal really, if you just make the bolt/shaft/whatever thick enough it'd work fine wouldn't it?

Party Alarm
May 10, 2012
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b7/Bolt-in-shear.PNG

Click that.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

So you would have some sort of plate that the top of the bolt goes through, which is bolted to the chassis?

edit: \/\/\/\/\/ seen.

Slavvy fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jan 20, 2013

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
Rather than have the pivot point bolt into a flat surface, it would be better to have the pivot point in a big C, like this:
code:
Bad:

||
         ||
         ||

Better:

____
  |   ||
  |   ||
  |   ||

The difference is that the top diagram not only has shear forces, the bolt is also a cantilever. The bottom bolt won't be able to flex as much and can handle much higher loads given the same materials.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
This is all well and good, but if you look reallllll close at the rockers you'll see the dampers are in double shear anyway.

No (sane) engineer would put a bolt that important into single shear, that's like babytown frolicks.

jammyozzy fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Jan 20, 2013

Poing
Jul 25, 2001

Gaze into my eyes...
Not seeing a second mount point for the cantilevers. :can:
What's up with the N-arms anyway?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Those rockers aren't just bolted down; there's a big boss sticking out of the transmission case that they pivot on. The bolt is just keeping it in place and not under any shear loading.

And the upper arm is n-shaped to provide toe adjustment and ensure there isn't any bump steer (like there would be if the toe link was not in the plane of one of the a-arms).

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

jammyozzy posted:

This is all well and good, but if you look reallllll close at the rockers you'll see the dampers are in double shear anyway.

No (sane) engineer would put a bolt that important into single shear, that's like babytown frolicks.

Look here, it's the palatov dp4. Look at all that single sheer. But we all know that palatov guy's rich and does whatever he wants:

And everyone's favorite, the C7 cervette. What were they thinking those steering links and ball joints are gonna just fly apart the moment it steps onto pavement. GM junk I guess.

And look at this moron, trusting his life to a single sheer fork. Serves him right for trying to be a unique snowflake when physics is involved:

And the god engineer must be smoking white pebbles, because this poo poo is in single sheer as well. I mean really, why doesn't the trunk connect to ground twice. Sloppy design if you ask me.

FuzzKill
Apr 1, 2005

Snuff the punk.

Giblet Plus! posted:

And the god engineer must be smoking white pebbles, because this poo poo is in single sheer as well. I mean really, why doesn't the trunk connect to ground twice. Sloppy design if you ask me.

Banyan trees are clearly superior in design :colbert:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

If anyone watched the barrett Jackson auction last night, there were two pretty awesome AI sales.

The original bat mobile for 4.2 million, and the first production C7 for 1,050,000

NoWake
Dec 28, 2008

College Slice
Those are all examples of well-engineered single shear connections, the bolts and connections are clearly beefy enough to withstand the dynamic forces they'll see, and then some. I'm betting most of the guys getting all up tight here remember that terrible SEMA truck from a few years back, each corner was supported by two 1/2" bolts in single shear and it went to poo poo from bouncing off a dirt mound the size of a parking block.

story here

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW
I took an engineering class specifically designed to teach shear, bending and torque. It's pretty easy to design for and single point shear is considered ethical engineering design if proper analysis has been done. Also as long at the mount isn't threaded. That is considered poor engineering regardless of how high the safety factor is.

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?
Alright maybe I was a bit over-dramatic and should have said no engineer would do that without good cause and justification.

As penance, pictures:

Sir Cornelius
Oct 30, 2011

rcman50166 posted:

I took an engineering class specifically designed to teach shear, bending and torque. It's pretty easy to design for and single point shear is considered ethical engineering design if proper analysis has been done. Also as long at the mount isn't threaded. That is considered poor engineering regardless of how high the safety factor is.

I graduated as a Master of Mechanical Engineering in 1990. Unless something has severely changed since then, you're perfectly right.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

rcman50166 posted:

What do you mean exactly, "as long as the mount isn't threaded"?

Skeletard
Dec 21, 2004
I assume that he means that the point where contact is made isn't threaded, considering surface area and all that?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

A friend's corolla:

red19fire
May 26, 2010

This seems like an old VHS video so I'd imagine it's been posted before. Guy drifts two BMW's at once (presumably with a steering/throttle lock).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GE1VTWFDEFg

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

Skeletard posted:

I assume that he means that the point where contact is made isn't threaded, considering surface area and all that?

You just design for the reduced area, I've seen a lot of perfectly safe designs that use single shear bolted connections. Rear shocks on my car mount to the hub in single shear with one bolt and they will punch through the upper mount before they shear that bolt. I've seen a lot of shoulder bolt connections in manufacturing that have lasted for a very long time. Ideal design is a double shear, straight pin connector but in the real world engineering requires many compromises because of space or ease of assembly.

Crustashio fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 21, 2013

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

Sagebrush posted:

Hey, at least she's not like my friend's cousin, who told us all at dinner once, in no uncertain terms, that if her would-be-fianc didn't get her a diamond worth at least three months' salary she would leave him on the spot. That would be around twenty thousand dollars for the poor guy (not in attendance that night) she was dating at the time. Because anything less than that would show that he didn't respect her, you see.

(Unless $4k IS three months' salary for you, in which case, I truly admire your commitment to this girl)

So he left her right? Cause ultimatums are not good ways to start marriages.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

What do you mean exactly, "as long as the mount isn't threaded"?

As long as the cantilever that experiences the shear force isn't threaded it is ok. An easy way to fix this is to simply use a shouldered bolt.

Crustashio posted:

You just design for the reduced area, I've seen a lot of perfectly safe designs that use single shear bolted connections. Rear shocks on my car mount to the hub in single shear with one bolt and they will punch through the upper mount before they shear that bolt. I've seen a lot of shoulder bolt connections in manufacturing that have lasted for a very long time. Ideal design is a double shear, straight pin connector but in the real world engineering requires many compromises because of space or ease of assembly.

That is the problem. You don't design for the reduced area. Stress risers experienced during shear make it more vulnerable to failure than a rod of the same diameter as the minor diameter of the bolt thread. That assumption is one of the reasons it's a no no. You may have seen plenty of designs but it's not considered ethical engineering because a better solution exists with minimal design change.

rcman50166 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 21, 2013

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta

jamal posted:

A friend's corolla:

Come on man, you know better than that. Just throwing a picture like that into the thread and leaving? We gotta have a link.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I see single shear in mounts all the time - for instance shock mounts are frequently single shear.

EightBit's example of how to make something double shear is really not a good idea though, because if you connect the mount tabs on each side of the bolt together with a plate that's parallel to the bolt, you've barely increased the strength at all. You need triangulation / a gusset that shares load equally between the two mount tabs to make a truly effective double shear mount point.

rcman50166
Mar 23, 2010

by XyloJW

kastein posted:

I see single shear in mounts all the time - for instance shock mounts are frequently single shear.

EightBit's example of how to make something double shear is really not a good idea though, because if you connect the mount tabs on each side of the bolt together with a plate that's parallel to the bolt, you've barely increased the strength at all. You need triangulation / a gusset that shares load equally between the two mount tabs to make a truly effective double shear mount point.

The point I'm making is single shear design is okay. Single shear (or any shear for that matter) on a full length threaded bolt or any bolt where shear takes place on the threaded section of it is not okay. Examples of that is seen everywhere including older F1 cars. But it's still poor engineering and unethical if designed deliberately despite knowing the problems caused by it.

EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
My example was pretty lovely for sure, but it was basically a bar-napkin diagram just to illustrate a concept, not a practical engineering solution.

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!
Shut up about that "sheer" crap. Post more awesome AI poo poo!

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Holy poo poo, this thread gets derailed way too often over stupid stuff. Shut up and post more loving awesome AI pictures.

I think the thread needs a new rule: every post must have a photo.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
"There are but three true sports--bullfighting, mountain climbing, and motor-racing. The rest are merely games."
-Hemingway

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jan 21, 2013

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Crazy engines in old Volvos? I'm game!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymi0xkErqWI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKXSk0BS-5M

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

jamal posted:

A friend's corolla:

This friend doesn't live in AZ does he?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Long Beach.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA

jamal posted:

Long Beach.

Ok, my fiat was injured by an unsecured EZUP belonging to a almost identical car at import face off a while back. No dice on getting paid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY

The truck in the video is loaded with 40 tons of stuff.