Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Entenzahn posted:

Currently playing:
Europa Universalis III (Steam)

This game will suck so many hours from you if you do get into it. The next part will sound condescending if you are actually experienced with EU3 but it's some tips if you aren't.
    • Start with Castille. It's basically easy mode, particularly if you ally with Portugal and/or Aragon, although conquering one of their lands might be even better. Take Granada first.
    • I'd largely ignore Africa or if you do happen to fully conquer one of them, just vassalize them as the provinces are worthless in the beginning.
    • When getting into battles, have a ratio of 1:2 of cavalry:infantry.
    • If you find yourself fighting France, the best thing you can really do as an inexperienced player would be to go to a border province and when you see French troops incoming, scorch the land and retreat. It'll kill so many of their troops and raise their attrition through the roof.
    • You'll lose loads, or at least screw yourself over but the more you make mistakes, the quicker you learn.

I'm glad I don't have EU3 on Steam or it would show up hundreds of hours, although I can't find my disk any more either. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entenzahn
Nov 15, 2012

erm... quack-ward

Mr Right posted:

This game will suck so many hours from you if you do get into it. The next part will sound condescending if you are actually experienced with EU3 but it's some tips if you aren't.
    • Start with Castille. It's basically easy mode, particularly if you ally with Portugal and/or Aragon, although conquering one of their lands might be even better. Take Granada first.
    • I'd largely ignore Africa or if you do happen to fully conquer one of them, just vassalize them as the provinces are worthless in the beginning.
    • When getting into battles, have a ratio of 1:2 of cavalry:infantry.
    • If you find yourself fighting France, the best thing you can really do as an inexperienced player would be to go to a border province and when you see French troops incoming, scorch the land and retreat. It'll kill so many of their troops and raise their attrition through the roof.
    • You'll lose loads, or at least screw yourself over but the more you make mistakes, the quicker you learn.

I'm glad I don't have EU3 on Steam or it would show up hundreds of hours, although I can't find my disk any more either. :(

Thanks for the advice, but this is actually my second run. I've already played through my first Grand Campaign with Milan (later Italy) and now I'm doing an AAR for the Teutons on the Paradox forums. But I agree, the amount of time you get out of this game is amazing. Originally I got it because it was the summer sale and somebody said it was okay. Tried a few rounds, failed, read the SA LP, tried again and over 100 hours later it was 1821 and I was king of a world-spanning Empire and realized I had a new addiction.

It's a shame about your disk, but EU4 is coming out this year anyway.

DoctorOfLawls
Mar 2, 2001

SA's Brazilian Diplomat
Finished Max Payne 3 today, on Hard. It made the experience a bit frustrating at times - particularly at "boss" sections - but I realized (too late sadly) that I was often using cover rather than shootdodge/bullet time most of the time. Once I realized this, the game became more enjoyable (and somewhat easier). I still wonder how hard it is without last man standing - must be a real pain (and no wonder only 0,8% of players on Steam finished it that way).

Raging Mule
Jan 17, 2007
Completed: The Witcher. Great game, I'm looking forward to 2. I started a second run with FCR mod, but I need to work on my backlog. The standard combat did get bit simplistic once you got used to it. The story was good enough to keep me interested, but it seemed like the potions were a bit too overpowered at the end considering how many reagents were available.

Done: FTL. It's easy to spend time in this rogue-like, but I think I burnt myself out. I beat the game with most of the ships on Easy and I was getting frustrated unlocking the last few. It's a bit too much RNG for me once you learn all the events and tactics. It's definitely to your benefit to use boarding parties for more scrap and get certain upgrades first. I really liked the game, I'm sure I'll go back to it once I recharge.

Completed: Splinter Cell. This game didn't age well, even with nostalgia, but it scratched a stealth itch. I found myself fighting the controls most of the time. I'd recommend just watching a LP. I'm looking forward to the newer SC games.

Done: Bastion. Just finished my first run, but I'm going to go back for NG+ after I recharge a bit. As expected, very good art, music and narrator; the music and narrator were even better than my expectations from reviews. I was much for comfortable with my 360 controller.

Completed: Sam and Max: Season 1. I had fun, but it didn't blow my socks off. I was only stumped a few times with weird adventure logic. Based on reviews, I'm looking forward to Season 2 or Wallace and Grommit. From what I heard, I may save those for when I need to rehab from Walking Dead...

LP: Stonekeep (GOG). A big kudos to davidspackage, I've really enjoyed the video LP. I remember getting stuck with this game back in the day, it's nice to see what happened if you stuck it out. The LP is a good balance of info/humor/gameplay.

ManxomeBromide
Jan 29, 2009

old school
I got some seriously ancient 8-bit programming books for Christmas, so regressing to my youth has been putting a damper on my normal game playing. Stuff like Richtofen's Revenge all counts as pre-NULLed, anyway.

I didn't take much explicit damage from the Winter Sale; all my shameful purchases didn't really involve Steam (HIB7, a GOG sale, and Spec Ops The Line from Amazon.) All I got was Sonic 3 & Knuckles because I wanted to do a full replay and my Genesis is long gone. So I did! It still holds up, but after Generations some of the stages (especially the first one in S3 and S&K) honestly feel kind of pokey and slow.

I also got the Generations DLC, which is just a pinball table to mess around with. I guess it was worth the 50 cents or whatever I paid.

And I also finally managed to actually beat Street Fighter X Mega Man, though as a free game I suppose it doesn't count.

Moving back to the modern world, I blew through Shank 2. It's better than the original in every way, and all my objections to the original - mainly that the command buffer is too long which makes the controls super-janky - have been addressed. That leaves Closure from the Humble Bundle as my remaining, voluntarily purchased Steam game.

I guess I should try Dragon Age again.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Beat Cave Story+, sort of. I got the bad and normal endings playing on Easy, then started another run on the Original difficulty to try and get the best ending after looking up the requirements (which are very counterintuitive - especially the one regarding Professor Booster. Maybe that's the point though). I'm now at the Sacred Grounds but I'm considering calling it quits. The first and third parts are fine, but the second is annoying as poo poo, and, most importantly, it's incredibly disheartening to know there's no save point after the Heavy Press. Furthest I've gotten was taking it down to half its health. Looking on youtube, the final boss fight doesn't even seem that bad, but the tedium of going through that final area over and over again is getting to me.

Really, I should've never bumped up the difficulty considering how terrible I am at this type of action sidescroller. Also, I can't stand having to click through that Nintendo-style slow scrolling text every time I die at a boss, which was an issue throughout the entire game. I know autosaves or even more abundant save points are modern conveniences but this poo poo can so easily kill a game for me.

Aside from that, though, it really is fabulous, and maybe I'll go back to get the best ending on Easy later on.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Beat Dark Souls: Prepare To Die Edition. I had played it on PS3 without the DLC but never finished it, despite getting close a few times. Such a good game. I set my character up for NG+ but I don't know if I'll continue.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
Finally getting through Legend of Grimrock. It's a cool game and I'm enjoying it, but the combat devolves into some of the most tedious, gamey poo poo imaginable. It's a shame.

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

Glare Seethe posted:

Beat Cave Story+, sort of. I got the bad and normal endings playing on Easy, then started another run on the Original difficulty to try and get the best ending after looking up the requirements (which are very counterintuitive - especially the one regarding Professor Booster. Maybe that's the point though). I'm now at the Sacred Grounds but I'm considering calling it quits. The first and third parts are fine, but the second is annoying as poo poo, and, most importantly, it's incredibly disheartening to know there's no save point after the Heavy Press. Furthest I've gotten was taking it down to half its health. Looking on youtube, the final boss fight doesn't even seem that bad, but the tedium of going through that final area over and over again is getting to me.
Ballos is the one thing standing between me and beating the game to get the ~true~ ending- he's tough not only because you're coming off the fight with heavy press, which is pretty much designed to whittle your health down (I had about two hits worth of health when I fought Ballos the first time, and he immediately killed me), but also because there's no save point anywhere and the fucker's got THREE FORMS! Extremely annoying, but I love Cave Story+ regardless- one day I'll probably just buckle down, stop being bad at the game, and beat him.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
BEATEN: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning - This really only counts as a beaten game on Backloggery, rather than a completed one. I was so excited for this game, but after a while all the quests seemed to blur together. Great combat, really does feel more like a hack and slasher than an RPG. The best advice I can give anyone going in is to become a Jack of All Trades, as later fights can be a pain if you play as a pure Rogue or Mage. I mastered Blacksmithing and Gem Forging to the point that I was creating my own "Epic" armour and weapons that could trump anything in the game. I put in 38 hours into the game, a rare thing for me, though I left a good amount of the side quests and some faction quests untouched, and didn't even go near the DLC lands.
All in all, a good RPG with a fun figthing mechanic.

At the moment, I'm trying to find something relaxing that does not involving any major sidequests, so I'll looking at playing through Max Payne 3, though still not sure what else I can play. Hopefully this semester of college will be a bit more forgiving than last term so I can relax more clear my Backloggery.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Glare Seethe posted:

I never played CS+, but in the original I found that using the Nemesis completely trivialized Heavy Press - it's incredibly hard to avoid taking damage in that fight, but Nemesis is at its most powerful at level 0 and fires extremely fast, so you can stand under it and unload massive firepower with both you and Curly firing max-damage Nemeses straight up. It goes down very, very fast. Just make sure you get out of the way when it starts to fall.

If you don't already have the Nemesis I don't think this helps you, though.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

ToxicFrog posted:

If you don't already have the Nemesis I don't think this helps you, though.

I skipped it. :( I did look briefly for that little man while I was getting the mushroom but figured the Spur would be enough to get me through the endgame, plus the concept of the Nemesis - having to deliberately avoid experience so as not to level it up - sounded like it'd be more annoying than fun so I decided not to bother. Oh well. I'm moving on to Legend of Grimrock for now but I will keep this in mind in case I go back to CS+.

an owls casket
Jun 4, 2001

Pillbug
Been whittling away at stuff again over the last few weeks:

Beat Mark of the Ninja: Really great overall, although I started to run out of steam in the last few chapters and stopped doing the challenge rooms and reloading if I made a mistake. The ending was pretty neat, though, and I'll probably play through it again down the road to do the NG+ and make the opposite choice.

Beat Dishonored: Got this for Christmas, and I liked it quite a bit. I went with a "sneak but murder everyone" playthrough, and really appreciated the fact that the combat felt pretty good, considering the general stealthy focus of the game. I'm actually glad I heard people bitching about the story ahead of time, because I think it subconciously set my standards lower than it might have been otherwise, and I thought it was pretty decent in the end.

Beat Binary Domain: A little uneven, but in the end I liked it pretty well. It got a little same-y towards the end, but I think they managed to make it just the right length to keep it from getting really tedious. It's not mindblowing, but the story is entertaining and moves along at a pretty good pace. The boss fights all seemed to be sort of lovely, but you can't win them all, I guess.

Beat Tales of Monkey Island: Chapter 1: I have a love-hate thing with adventure games. They were the first games I played on the computer my family got when I was younger (The first Monkey Island game may have been the first one, now that I think of it), but having as big a backlog of games as I do usually results in me getting frustrated and looking at a walkthrough. I looked up a few solutions to puzzles with this, but managed to figure out most of it on my own. I think Telltale did a fairly good job of capturing the feel of Monkey Island, but we'll see how the rest of the episodes pan out, I guess.

Started Eufloria: I'm terrible at real-time strategy games, which this sort of is, I guess, but I'm liking this so far. I'm only through the first five missions, though, so things may take a sudden turn for the shitter.

Started Darwinia: I'm trying to make my way through games that I've had in my library for years, and this was one of the first games that I got in some bundle early on in my Steam account ownership. I've only done the first mission and had to postpone playing more because my mouse shat itself, but I'll be getting back to this one soon-ish.

Started and then put off Kingdoms of Amalur: Meh. I played through the opening dungeon and explored a cave just outside it. It seems fine, but the aesthetic was a little too cartoony for my taste right now. I'll get back to it sooner or later, I'm sure.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Just beat I Am Alive which might just be my worst Steam sale purchase ever. Yes the idea is neat and there are flashes of this being a better game at one point in its troubled development but what was released is just horrible. The survival is contrived bullshit, the controls are horrible with a controller (near unplayable with mouse + keyboard), the graphics are atrocious and the enemy encounters play out exactly the same way every single goddamn time. By the end of the game I was basically the Angel of Death culling Bad Men from the city by shooting one with an arrow, telling the rest to get back with my gun, picking my arrow up, shooting the next on in line, rinse and repeat.

And what the hell was that ending? Forget the part where your character doesn't do anything he actually set out to and instead just did bitch work for everyone he met where did that flood come from? It lasted about thirty seconds and I have no idea what was supposed to be happening there.

Glitchy, ugly, clunky and bad. The best thing about it was the length clocking in at under four hours.

e: decided to cleanse my palate and play through Gravity Bone. that was a Good Game

Yodzilla fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Jan 16, 2013

The Phantom Ghost
Feb 28, 2007

hold on what kind of fighting robot is he again
Beat the two Alan Wake games which were gifts during the holiday sale. Love the atmosphere and the story, combat is fun but got monotonous near the end. The second game has tighter combat and moves a lot faster which is a plus.

Beat The Darkness II which shows you most of its tricks right off the bat, but it's still a lot of fun being a death-dealing mobster octopus. The story is fine but drags at times, there's some good character work. The co-op campaign seems neat and hectic but the characters they use for it are the worst (rowdy scotsman, honor-bound japanese guy with katana, voodoo doctor!)

Beat Sonic CD It's a pretty fun sonic game. gently caress getting all of the time stones and doing the good future stuff. poo poo's frustrating.

Red Faction Armageddon remains unfinished due to a bug that continuously spawns me in the ground after a cut scene. The game is so generic and such a step back from Red Faction Guerrilla that maybe it's just telling me to stop playing.

The Phantom Ghost fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 3, 2013

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I also recently beat The Darkness 2 and it's one of the few FPS games where shotguns aren't terrible at any range other than point blank.

Lamacq
Jun 15, 2001

Breezeblock RIP
Beat Saint's Row: The Third. Without a doubt the funniest game I have ever played. Several of the cutscenes had me laughing out loud which I honestly don't think has ever happened to me in a game before. Gameplay was pure fun, very little challenge but honestly I'm fine with that. I pretty much suck at 3rd person action games (I gave up in frustration on GTA4 just a few missions in because the controls were impossible for me) so I loved when this game was like, "here's a tank, just blow things up for a while and we'll call it good." I just went straight through the missions however, somehow the world itself didn't have the charm of a Vice City which would make me want to just drive around and gently caress poo poo up. Still, loved it, terrific game.

Nulled Hotline: Miami. I was pretty sure I wouldn't like this game but with the Amazon credit I ended up getting it for like $1.50 so I gave it a shot. And not only is it WAY too hard for me, but the whole premise of it just makes me queasy: pure graphic violence for no real reason. The violence in SR:TT made me uncomfortable on occasion as well, but the general over-the-top presentation and humor of the game made it clear that what you were playing was parody, plus it had interesting characters worth caring about. Hotline: Miami is different, there's no objective other than killing people because a voice in your head tells you to. Soundtrack is great, and I love the aesthetic of the game, but I guess I'm just too old and terrible at video games to play it.

Currently getting my rear end handed to me by FTL.

Lamacq fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Jan 16, 2013

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'

Yodzilla posted:

Just beat I Am Alive which might just be my worst Steam sale purchase ever. Yes the idea is neat and there are flashes of this being a better game at one point in its troubled development but what was released is just horrible. The survival is contrived bullshit, the controls are horrible with a controller (near unplayable with mouse + keyboard), the graphics are atrocious and the enemy encounters play out exactly the same way every single goddamn time. By the end of the game I was basically the Angel of Death culling Bad Men from the city by shooting one with an arrow, telling the rest to get back with my gun, picking my arrow up, shooting the next on in line, rinse and repeat.

And what the hell was that ending? Forget the part where your character doesn't do anything he actually set out to and instead just did bitch work for everyone he met where did that flood come from? It lasted about thirty seconds and I have no idea what was supposed to be happening there.

Glitchy, ugly, clunky and bad. The best thing about it was the length clocking in at under four hours.

e: decided to cleanse my palate and play through Gravity Bone. that was a Good Game

Thanks for the review, I added it to my wishlist and was waiting for a 75% off sale as I thought the concept and trailers looked pretty good but I think I'll remove it after that review.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Lamacq posted:

Nulled Hotline: Miami. I was pretty sure I wouldn't like this game but with the Amazon credit I ended up getting it for like $1.50 so I gave it a shot. And not only is it WAY too hard for me, but the whole premise of it just makes me queasy: pure graphic violence for no real reason. The violence in SR:TT made me uncomfortable on occasion as well, but the general over-the-top presentation and humor of the game made it clear that what you were playing was parody, plus it had interesting characters worth caring about. Hotline: Miami is different, there's no objective other than killing people because a voice in your head tells you to. Soundtrack is great, and I love the aesthetic of the game, but I guess I'm just too old and terrible at video games to play it.

While the exact meaning of the true story is up for debate the game is about a whole lot more then just mindless violence.

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Mr Right posted:

Thanks for the review, I added it to my wishlist and was waiting for a 75% off sale as I thought the concept and trailers looked pretty good but I think I'll remove it after that review.

I enjoyed it myself. It's missing a lot of content, in that it just ends abruptly with no resolution to anything. The survival and conservation elements make every bullet or item important, that and the hazy post apocalypse setting do set it apart from the usual Tomb Raider style climb things and shoot stuff game.

I don't know if it has a demo on PC, but it does on XBLA.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
Knocked F.E.A.R. 3 off my backlog, because I beat it (as Pointman)! It was a very enjoyable game, because the shooting and graphics and movement felt very smooth. The entire series was mildly interesting, but overall enjoyable to play. It's a shame the one with the most expansions, FEAR 1, was the least enjoyable to play. I had really struggled (in terms of enjoyment) through FEAR 1 only to find out that the expansions played almost exactly like the original, I skipped it. No regrets otherwise, I had a blast. All I could come away with was that I'm surprised FEAR 2 was seen as the least liked of the series, because it was probably the most enjoyable to me. I beat all of it in the course of one lengthy day, and most of the stages were more enjoyable and memorable than all of FEAR 1 and even some of FEAR 3 (which wasn't bad at all, but emphasis was more on shooting and illusions rather than locations and spookiness).

Edit: Oh I thought I mentioned it. Yeah I did beat the first level as Fettel. The possession angle is cute but it's essentially temporary gunman rental without slomo (which I somewhat depended on in later levels). Thankfully, the only Fettel achievements are co-op related so there's no real incentive to replay through the campaign.

Morter fucked around with this message at 05:34 on Jan 17, 2013

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Since you had fun with it you might enjoy playing through as Fettel now if you want to give it a shot. Or at least, for the first couple of levels to mess with the possession mechanic. Even on the hardest difficulty it makes the game a joyous breeze save for one section where you have to wait for some door to open while infinite dog things spawn out of the walls. gently caress that part.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
I feel like the guy that goes to AA and has to admit to having fallen off the wagon.

My name is Beatnik-Filmstar, and since last visiting this thread I have simultaneously killed off a few titles, only to see my "Uninstalled - not played" Steam folder grow from 114 to 121 games. The Steam sale is over though. Some headway shall be made.

Beat - Mafia II : Mentioned that I had started it last time. Actually liked it a lot when I didn't expect to. Looking for a GTAish sandbox with a different look to it - go nuts.

Beat - Trine : Had it sitting around for a long time, and felt a little silly for having bought Trine 2 without even playing the first one. Easy enough platformer, with some rather pretty graphics. More or less speed ran the thing, not caring about finding all of the secrets or whatever they were called. The only two achievements I even got were two that I used the SAM to unlock two Winter Steam sales ago in order to get coal. Good Lord. A perfect symbol of the Steam addiction.

Beat - Crysis : Played it when it first came out many years and two PC build ago. Steam addiction engage - wanted to finally see what it would look like maxed out while still getting a decent frame rate, so I picked it up along with Warhead and Crysis 2. Wasn't disappointed graphics wise. For a five year old game, it still looks great. Had as much fun sneaking up on North Korean soldiers as ever, but overall didn't care too much for it. The game loses my interest a lot once you get past the Koreans. And the final boss fight made the game crash at least a half dozen times. That got old in a hurry.

"Beat" - Duke Nukem Forever : Does anyone really win when they play this game? Had heard it wasn't good. Traded someone Date Night and Basketball Manager for it though. It might have been worth the $1.50 or so it cost me in trade. Maybe. It's the Phantom Menace of video games. That's about as short as I can put it.

Beat - Max Payne 1 - Similar to Crysis, I bought Max Payne 3 during the sale, and ended up grabbing all three of the games while I was at it. It had been so long, I couldn't really remember the story, and wanted to start over from the beginning. Should have just read a wiki. Someone recently mentioned it in this thread, but this game has aged badly. Really badly.

Beat - Max Payne 2 : Much much better. What a difference 2 years made. Actually enjoyed this quite a bit. Had forgotten that it had a drat escort mission in it, but otherwise had a decent time with my depressed drunk matrix-y renegade cop.

Beat - Plants vs. Zombies : Holy crap, I managed to put 12 hours into this thing. Up there with Flight Control in both cuteness as a well as the "I can't believe I'm playing this" factor.

Playing - Far Cry 3 : Haven't really touched it since the last time I posted. I don't know why. I'll just blame the fact that it's on UPlay instead of Steam, even though I know that's not it.

Playing - The Ball : My backlog is huge. No idea why I installed this, but it's OK so far. Not great. Not bad. Physics based first person puzzle type of thing. Like Portal's not nearly as talented and kinda underachieving cousin.

Playing - Fallout: New Vegas DLC - Played through the base game and half of the first DLC about a year and a half ago. Put a silly number of hours into it in a rather short amount of time, and then stopped playing cold. Finally getting back into it. Finished the rest of the Dead Money DLC the other day, and plan on finally knocking out the others. I'm sure you've all played them by now. Good stuff.

Just Started - Alan Wake : Seriously. Just booted it up and set the video options. We'll see.
God damnit - Hotline Miami : I still suck at this. I'm still not giving up.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Beat Dead Rising 2: Off the Record. The weapons are fun, strapping a lawn mower to a wheelchair is great. Stomping through a crowd is lots of fun. Messing around in coop would probably be amazing but players keep declining my attempts to join. Why not set your game to private if you don't want people joining you? :confused:

The boss fights are tedious as all gently caress and the game punishes you for playing it without being levelled up. A sadistic bastard thought that it would be a great idea for you to move like an iceberg until you've played long enough to unlock three speed upgrades. :downs: There is so much run to point A, escort an idiot back to your safe house while you're an iceberg. I know the survivor AI improved between DR1 and DR2 but that isn't saying much.

One of the few games I would recommend cheating yourself to max level and just loving around between doing the main story missions.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 18, 2013

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Beat Borderlands 2. It was pretty annoying and unfair at times, Tiny Tina was irritating, and the final showdown at the Vault was pretty anticlimactic (that might've been because I was playing a sniper-specced Zero, though. Those final bosses stood no chance)... but damnit, it was still fun. It runs into a similar problem I had with Dragon Age Origins though: it's a game that clearly benefits from multiple playthroughs, but at the same time I don't really... want to replay it. Here that's more just being very satisfied with playing the character I played as, though, unlike with DAO where I just did not want to suffer through that poo poo a second time.

Also been playing Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed on the PS3 and XCOM Enemy Unknown, but those are harder to say I 'beat'. I mean yes, I finished XCOM, but I'm clearly going to replay that a lot. I also unlocked AGES in Transformed, but there's still plenty of stuff to come back to there.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
Beat the iOS version of 10,000,000 and I thought it was really great. Not sure I'd want to play it on the PC but I'm really glad I got to play a game made for mobile in mind that actually had an end and wasn't just some stupid funnel for in-app purchases. There needs to be more of those.

Also played through Thirty Flights of Loving and...eh. I really liked Gravity Bone but Thirty Flights just seemed a bit messier and it didn't help that it crashed on me a few times. Also going into it after Gravity Bone left me wondering why I couldn't use any of the items I was picking up for the first few minutes. It was neat and a cool idea but I guess I expected a bit more after all of the hype.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!
Beat Space Pirate and Zombies: after giving up on this game due to the massive amount of grinding, I decided to give it one last chance. Figured out I had a totally screwed up spec/ship design, fixed that and proceed to complete the game. I liked it, even though the ending wasn't that great (might be related to the fact that 50h+ to get to the end kinda of burns you). I would love if this whole concept of "multiple possible player specs" equals "replay value" would disappear forever. This is just a dumb thing that prevents the majority of players to try out all that a game has to offer, so that a minority can replay it ad nauseam. Also grinding anything in single player games is a stupid idea (or in any game).

Beat Solar 2: does it even count? Took me 2 months because I only played in 5-10m sessions every so often. It was worth its 1.25 bucks, and I might even play it again. It's fun and relaxing game.

Playing Planets Under Attack: did a 4-5 missions and liked it. Seems very casual.

Playing Gratuitous Space Battles: very cool concept (kinda like a 2D RTS in space, without resource gathering/unit construction)

Playing Evochron Mercenary: Old school space sim with a brutal combat system. Started as a fighter pilot, and quickly run out of money for fuel. Restarted as a trader and suddenly money was pouring out of my pockets. Missions quickly become very repetitive. I think there is a storyline somewhere, but I totally lost track of it. Commendable that it's a one man project.

Trying Star Wolves: I'm trying to get thru the tutorials (3 times already), but something always happen and I have to stop playing. Must be some sort of curse or something.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Beef Witch
It takes that goddamn long to beat SPAZ?? Steam says I'm seven hours in and I'm already starting to feel the burn of grinding and constant repetition.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

And just once, before I die, I'd like to be Supreme Overlord of Earth. So rebel, my little ones, and conquer the planet!

Yodzilla posted:

It takes that goddamn long to beat SPAZ?? Steam says I'm seven hours in and I'm already starting to feel the burn of grinding and constant repetition.

Steam says I played 75h of SPAZ :ughh:. I would say 25h is just afk. Also, had a 'wrong' spec for a while so that delayed things a bit. Well played, 40h or so to beat it, perhaps less. Maybe 30h if you don't ever respec or manage to run out of rez.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Yodzilla posted:

Get out while you still can :gonk: this game is a horrorfest of grinding proportions.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

So what is the correct build for spaz?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Pre-overhaul, I beat SPAZ in 30h. The best build at the time was cannons, cannons, cannons. Particle cannons and everything else on defensive (shield, hull, etc) made you be able to blow huge space stations and get all the blue prints you required easily. Cannons ended up being nerfed in the overhaul, though, so who knows what's the best build now.

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Beat Legend of Grimrock last night. I have to say, when I loaded it up that first time and it took me straight to the menu, with absolutely no intro movies standing in my way, I was stunned. That's unheard of nowadays!

Overall I really enjoyed it, though it doesn't quite reach the heights I hoped it would. For whatever reason it didn't give me that intense feeling of descending deeper and deeper into a horrible dungeon from which you will be lucky to emerge alive. Maybe it's cause you never see daylight in the game to begin with, so there's nothing to contrast the grimness of the dungeon. I think more lore/backstory might've helped there too. It just felt like a series of levels rather than a dark descent into the unknown - the dungeon needed more character. But the gameplay was really fun. Some puzzles were annoying as I'm not a big fan of deciphering vague riddles/clues, but I appreciate that comes with the territory (though I almost can't believe there are people out there who didn't look up any solutions). Level 9 in particular can gently caress off. There was also a tad too much wall-staring.

Loved the boss fight, it took me by surprise. And as someone who generally dislikes overly difficult/frustrating boss fights (who wants to end the game on a sour note?) I was happy that this one was so tame. Any other game would have reset his HP anytime you dropped into a pit just to pile on the misery.

Hopefully Grimrock was successful enough that the devs can go and build on it, and make another dungeon crawler that's more fleshed out, has more content and more character.

Mr. Tetsuo
Jun 6, 2011

My 'wrong' spec was based on beam weapons (my fault, as they clearly state to be weak against armor). Switching to cannons got me un stuck from the ledge that is the start of chapter 3. Later in the game I went back to beams (when you get enhanced version, the huge ship with 8 front slots and 4 beam modules).

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Glare Seethe posted:

Beat Legend of Grimrock last night.
Did you help your friend? ;)

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Pierzak posted:

Did you help your friend? ;)

Heh, I carried him with me to the end waiting for a chance to do something with him but it completely didn't occur to me to use him on a life crystal. In retrospect very stupid of me, but oh well! I'm sure he got a proper burial afterwards.

clamcake
Dec 24, 2012
It's been a busy few weeks in my gloomy attic gaming cave...

Beat Cave Story+ - Got this one as part of a Humble Bundle and didn't touch it for at least a month. But once I started, I enjoyed this one enough to play through several times to watch the different endings. An enjoyable retro gaming experience, for sure.

Beat Castle Crashers - A gift from a gaming friend who wanted to play it together. It's a fun little game if you play with the right group of people. But I finished it by myself. Because I have the fever; the game beating fever.

Beat Halo 4 (Xbox 360)- I feel like the franchise jumped the shark a while ago. The Flood was bad enough. (Gravemind? Rhymed iambic couplets? Really? I'm not looking for Shakespeare here.) Bringing in the Forerunners and demonic-looking undead humans won't bring me back to the fold. I remain unimpressed and uncommitted to the franchise. But I was playing with good company, and for mindless run and gun gameplay, it was decent.

Beat Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers - I enjoyed this one quite a bit. Good platforming, and cutting rocks with my laser was surprisingly enjoyable. The eclectic soundtrack made the experience twice as fun for me.

Beat Big Brain Wolf - Oh god, why do I own this game? Mix one part clunky adventure game with two parts buggy puzzle game, and you'll have the formula for success! Big Brain Wolf. Setting aside the terrible story and the obnoxious soundtrack, several of the puzzles are flat out broken and require consulting a walkthrough just to progress through the game. But it's all over now. The bad man can't hurt me anymore.

Beat Red Faction: Armageddon - This is the first Red Faction game I've played, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. I loved the atmosphere and will have to look into buying the other games in the series when I don't have a 350 game backlog to get through. SyFy Games was involved so it plays out a lot like a SyFy Channel original b-movie, including a predictable plot, somewhat flat characters, and the occasional laughably bad dialogue. That said, my main gripe is that the game was too easy. I played through on hard mode and blasted through. The most difficult part of the game was accidentally collapsing entire buildings on myself, sustaining great injury in the process, i.e., losing 10% of my health.

Beat EvilQuest (Desura) - Not an enjoyable game, but it is mercifully short. The whole premise of the game, as the title suggests, is that you play as a bad guy. The main problem with the game is that it constantly shoves that fact in your face. The combination of bad dialogue and random acts of violence gets tiresome very quickly. This one may appeal to angst-filled teens, but that's about all it's got going for it. Also, several character sprites strongly resemble phalluses.

Completed Psychonauts - I know I'm a little late in playing this one, but I absolutely loved it. I felt it was a little slow at the start, while you're earning your psychic skills. But the second half of the game once you start going into the asylum's mental worlds is amazing.

Right now, I'm playing through a few more casual indies (Closure, The Path) and trying to decide among Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Spec Ops, or a F.E.A.R. franchise title for my next big name game.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011
Why is it when I have projects to be working on, my games seems to be more alluring.

BEATEN: Max Payne 3 - After playing Spec Ops: The Line, other third person shooters with massive explosions and set pieces just feel wrong. Really enjoyed this one, the games design and music really set the tone. The cut-scenes are a bit hit and miss thought and Max's liver should be decimated by now. Really worth playing just to dive in the air in Bullet-Time(tm), nailing three headshots and then slamming into a column and having to pick yourself back up.

Picked up Gateways, which has some crazy puzzles, especially the time portals. Also replaying Sonic CD after my laptops hard disk failed, I lost my savegame, so I have to replay it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

nipplefish posted:

Right now, I'm playing through a few more casual indies (Closure, The Path) and trying to decide among Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Spec Ops, or a F.E.A.R. franchise title for my next big name game.

I'd say go with Spec-Ops. I beat it in an afternoon and I haven't done that with a major release in a decade. I didn't even like the game that much but the general consensus seems to be "you'll probably hate it but won't stop playing until it's done."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, play it on Easy, it's a game you play for the story, not the gameplay.