Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i don't understand why anyone wouldn't use git (or *sigh* mercurial) locally regardless of what central vcs the project uses, literally why would you handicap yourself like that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
why would you add an extra step between you and the server on purpose

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

svn workflow: write code, commit.

git workflow: write code, commit, push.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

I've administered several and have never had an issue. how did they get hosed
somebody losing connection to the server mid-action, messed up computers, the short answer is never work at an ad agency

rotor posted:

in my case it was for a server that was slow (hosted outside the building) and the general difficulty of making git really gently caress up

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

svn workflow: write code, commit.

git workflow: write code, commit, push.

svn workflow: write code, commit, wait, commit, wait, commit

git workflow: write code, commit, commit, commit, push

(i work in chunks that i want to commit separately as they're separate thoughts)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

yeah I mentioned that if you're poor that git is a good idea.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

if you don't have the money to set up a good svn machine on a fast connection, or if you're in swaziland and have to push things out over a cell modem then it totes makes sense.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

are all the code changes you work on less than 10 lines or something

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?
isn't git on windows a bit rube goldberg though

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

commit early, commit often

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

Base Emitter posted:

using it now and no, not that i've noticed

although it is a real butthead about newlines, i admit

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Base Emitter posted:

yes, and also everywhere else

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde

rotor posted:

aka waste time with code reviews of things that don't even work yet, degrading the review process into a rubberstamp

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Gazpacho posted:

who gives a poo poo?

jooky
Jan 15, 2003

i was joking about the source control bit but welp

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

and committing often works better with git

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Gazpacho posted:

aka waste time with code reviews of things that don't even work yet, degrading the review process into a rubberstamp

yeah I guess if you work somewhere with weird inflexible rules regulating every action you take that might be a problem.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and committing often works better with git

not really

Squinty Applebottom
Jan 1, 2013

i tried using mercurial and it warned me that one of my files would take 221 megs of memory to manage and i was like wtf is this poo poo

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

here's how it works: you start a feature branch. this is roughly analogous to a local repo. you commit your work here when you want to. if you need to switch out to another task, you do so. then, when you're ready to commit it to trunk/rc/whatever, that's when you do the code review and merge.

its very similar to the git process except there's no local repo to get in your way.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Lord help you if you ever try to maintain more than a single branch in SVN.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

Lord help you if you ever try to maintain more than a single branch in SVN.

its actually dead simple but sure I guess if you're a drooling simpleton it might be difficult

double sulk
Jul 2, 2010

what are some of you guys working on right now? i'm trying to figure out what to do next, spent some time last night adding/cleaning up some website poo poo with the one site i've been building. this is kind of my short list right now

- write some actual testing for the site. this requires reading rails docs on doing so and it seems both boring and annoying as gently caress because i have to go back and read a bunch of poo poo and then figure out how to write the tests on top of my pre-existing code. this is mostly to appease people who are in a hiring position who feel that testing is apparently the only meaningful thing to judge someone by. this is probably due in part because it's rails people

- maybe work on a corresponding app and experiment with pulling in json and poo poo to display information cause i've never done it. i almost have more of an urge to do this in android/java than ios/objc, idk why though. i really need to learn c proper.

- do the online databases course stanford has going on because i suck at them

also i've noticed that for some big of the projects, people on github seem slow as gently caress at responding to pull requests. took a couple days to start getting responses to a pull request i put in on rails for someone's issue.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

I'd say about 80% of the desire to use git lies with gits ability to hide your shameful dumbass intermediate commits from the public eye.. which is a lovely reason imo.

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rotor posted:

did you get paid for writing it? then its good code.

well it's not so much the quality of my own code that i'd like to accurately measure, but rather the exact amount of badness in someone else's code

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

github is pretty cool for open-sores development where you want to pull in random code from wherever like some kind of whore.

rotor fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 20, 2013

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Win8 Hetro Experie posted:

well it's not so much the quality of my own code that i'd like to accurately measure, but rather the exact amount of badness in someone else's code

other peoples code is always bad. you can measure how bad by how many times you say 'gently caress!' while integrating it.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

its actually dead simple but sure I guess if you're a drooling simpleton it might be difficult

so in git it's

git checkout master
git checkout -b feature_branch
# do things
git commit -m "fix some poo poo" src/us/bf1c/some_app/asdf/fartz/FileIChanged.java # lmao java filenames
git push origin feature_branch
# this is the part where i make the pull request

the only command there that takes time is "git push"

what's it like in svn?

Max Facetime
Apr 18, 2009

rotor posted:

other peoples code is always bad. you can measure how bad by how many times you say 'gently caress!' while integrating it.

I think I have a tendency to take those as a challenge :sweatdrop:

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
It's like the story of that IBM dev who secretly installed a tool chain on his pc during the "cleanroom" fad and instantly became the team's star programmer, you are the IBM manager in this story

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

rotor posted:

if you were management tier you'd say "other peoples code is always good 'cause you didn't have to write it yourself"

NOTinuyasha
Oct 17, 2006

The Great Twist
we have a github business plan, which i insisted on when everything was being set up and it has never let us down ever and is totally painless. it makes the dumb people uncomfortable (mercurial users) and the attention deficit disorder people angry (wanted to set up a gitlab server).

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
we have the $200/month github plan and i think github's waffled on and off about using our software so that's kind of cool

github is one of the three companies i'd leave current job for (github, 37signals, valve)

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Cocoa Crispies posted:

so in git it's

git checkout master
# do things
git commit -m "fix some poo poo" src/us/bf1c/some_app/asdf/fartz/FileIChanged.java # lmao java filenames

what's it like in svn?

pretty much the same except without the push at the end

Posting Principle
Dec 10, 2011

by Ralp
writing multithreaded c++ with the power of c++11 and the Microsoft Visual C++ compiler :q:

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Cocoa Crispies posted:

so in git it's

git checkout master
# do things

what's it like in svn?

In svn making a branch is a cp -R from /trunk/ into /branches/poo poo/.

svn posted:

Subversion has no internal concept of a branch—only copies. When you copy a directory, the resulting directory is only a “branch” because you attach that meaning to it. You may think of the directory differently, or treat it differently, but to Subversion it's just an ordinary directory that happens to have been created by copying.

Merging code/applying changes across branches in this system is exactly as awful as you'd expect.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Also as a side-effect the branch carries the same revision number as the main tree since it's all just thrown into one big one-dimensional repository/timeline, so if you're including the svn revision number in your versioning get ready for interleaved numbering across branches, resulting in a bizzaro world of "1.2-15832" and "1.0-18586".

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

But svn can be fine in situations where your workforce is incapable of understanding branching, in which case svn isn't your bottleneck since it doesn't understand it either.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Progressive JPEG posted:

Also as a side-effect the branch carries the same revision number as the main tree since it's all just thrown into one big one-dimensional repository/timeline, so if you're including the svn revision number in your versioning get ready for interleaved numbering across branches, resulting in a bizzaro world of "1.2-15832" and "1.0-18586".

and this is a big change from git, where version numbers are oh wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

branching is maginally nicer with git due to the per-line vs per-file diff