Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirteenth Step
Mar 3, 2004

Ninpo posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndhmdwIswp8

The lad really does deserve more credit than he gets, he's pulled off just as good if not better this season.

Christ, that header at 3:48 was almost behind him when he got his hand to it.

He really is an amazing shot-stopper. He just needs a couple of years in the gym to out-muscle a few defenders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Surprised no one's shaved him while hes unconscious. Guess pranks like that went out with the team bath

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ninpo posted:

(Also everyone would be lamenting Rafael for the goal and not the keeper.)

Yeah, the narrative was decided early on and everyone's stuck to it ever since. De Gea gets blamed for goals other keepers wouldn't, and doesn't get nearly enough credit for his strong suits (amazing shot stopper) and the improvements he's made since coming to United. Sure, he makes the occasional mistake but the lad is 22. Delighted to have him at United and hope he stays for many years yet.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
Do you suffer from paranoid delusional psychosis? No one came up with a narrative. Man U had the best keeper in the league then replaced him with two merely good ones when he retired.

Man U have been conceding more goals than ever before and that is down to the defence, including the keeper.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Of course there was a narrative. Most media pundits speak entirely in narratives because they can't understand the game at any deeper level. "TUNE INTO THE BARCLAYS PREMIER LEAGUE ON SUPER SUNDAY TO SEE UNITED'S DODGY KEEPER gently caress UP LIVE IN HD", and then you spend all of half-time replaying the goals and implying that De Gea could have saved that if only he'd been eight feet tall and made out of pure synthetic ruby.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
As a neutral, I think that's all in your head. It's simple confirmation bias.

It's just that Man U are the richest most successful club and they don't have the best keeper, it's incongruous and a source of big laughs.

e. for content

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 19, 2013

Sin Dios
Aug 7, 2004

Man U should stop loving around and sign Esteban next season.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Breath Ray posted:

As a neutral, I think that's all in your head. It's simple confirmation bias.

Nah, it's not. Every other goal United let in, the commentators spend half the match going on about how "the keeper really should have done better there". I mean they don't understand keeping at the best of times and when they've all pre-decided that De Gea is a Foreign Myth Who Is Not Cut Out For The English Game, that's all they can talk about.

I'm not saying he's perfect of course, De Gea makes the occasional mistake and has areas he needs to improve in.

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004
So the media are anti-De Gea but any sort of pro-utd bias, that's just crazy talk yeah?

That said, I rate him, and with his facial hair moving further and further into the proper loving mental territory that all great keepers inhabit he can only get better.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

FullLeatherJacket posted:

Of course there was a narrative. Most media pundits speak entirely in narratives because they can't understand the game at any deeper level.
Of course they can, but it doesn't sell papers. They spend more time watching football than 99.9% of fans, but the narratives are what sells to most people. Every single football fan talks in narratives all the time, it's impossible to avoid.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think if human beings reaching conclusions based on events unfolding before their eyes bothers you so much you should maybe turn down off the TV and go for a long walk

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Sin Dios posted:

This is a photoshop right? Like they just took Esteban taking a goal kick and put him next to a pitch invader who happened to fall over.

If not then sign him up and then release Piers Morgan onto the pitch. Worth it for the entertainment value alone.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

No, the guy tried to attack Esteban from behind and Esteban got pretty pissed

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/sp...ch-invader.html

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque puņ essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

DickEmery posted:

So the media are anti-De Gea but any sort of pro-utd bias, that's just crazy talk yeah?

Saying the media have biases and exist on flimsy narratives is different to suggesting that the referees or the FA, and that should be obvious to any sensible person. If you're saying that the media have a pro-United bias because incidents involving United get five times more press coverage (consider the amount of words dedicated to any single instance of "Alex Ferguson said a thing" compared to the time Alan Pardew pushed over a linesman and then kicked him to death while laughing) then that's almost certainly true, and applies to Liverpool and a couple of other teams (to a lesser extent) as well.

Hoops posted:

Of course they can, but it doesn't sell papers. They spend more time watching football than 99.9% of fans, but the narratives are what sells to most people. Every single football fan talks in narratives all the time, it's impossible to avoid.

Well, you'd think that, but I'm convinced that Jamie Redknapp has never seen a game of football in his life. Again, this is one of the reasons why Neville has the popularity he has, in that he's able to talk about an issue without reducing it to a meaningless collection of footballing memes. They're not reacting to events they've seen, they're fitting events they've seen around an existing decision they've made, based on nothing. If someone has space to score at a corner, it's because zonal marking is a bad system invented by poofs. If Andre Villas-Boas loses a game of football, it proves that getting rid of Harry Redknapp was a travesty. If Frank Lampard scores a goal, he's sending a message to Rafa Benitez.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Sin Dios posted:

Esteban owns and Jorge Luis Pinto is an idiot for not calling him to the national team. Would be awesome if he moved to a big club.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!

Hegav posted:

Well, I don't really have any sympathy for the guy who got his poo poo wrecked. If you break onto the field of play to try and start a fight it's hard to feel sorry for you when the fight turns against you. Who'd have thought that professional athletes in top physical condition would offer any notable resistance?
From what I gather the issue De Gea has is that due to his poor start many teams decided that he was the weak point. This led to lots of teams crowding him at set pieces and swinging them in right under the crossbar. Lots of keepers would struggle to deal with that kind of attention, it is still a weakness in his game though. I've found that discussions about De Gea either go one of 2 ways: 1) He is the worst keeper United have ever signed and it's hilarious that they spent £20 million on him. 2) De Gea is already a top level keeper who is brilliant.

Obviously the truth lies somewhere in the middle. He is a very good shot stopper who has a few rough edges and physical limitations that can be ironed out with games, time and proper training, all of which I assume he will get. Every time he makes a mistake though the detractors go a bit overboard (probably because it's United) which means that when he's playing well the pro-De Gea crowd goes even further over the top to balance out the exaggerations of the detractors. This turns into a silly cycle without a single grain of truth in it. This is all part and parcel of being a keeper at United though, if you can't handle the pressure of being put under the spot light literally every week then go and play for Everton (sorry Tim, I still love you).

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Redundant posted:

I've found that discussions about De Gea either go one of 2 ways: 1) He is the worst keeper United have ever signed and it's hilarious that they spent £20 million on him. 2) De Gea is already a top level keeper who is brilliant.

Not on this site they don't. Bit of a false dichotomy IMO

Breath Ray fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 19, 2013

sircozzie
Jul 8, 2011

Release the Meerkat
Per Mertesaker is the fine collector for the Arsenal first team squad!

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I imagine the Probiotic Immunity Drinks sheet consists of a finger painting of a hospital by Carl Jenkinson

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
Inappropriate clothes outside the dressing room? 'Don't wander out into the interview area in a jock'?

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
In a what?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

jyrka posted:

In a what?

A jockstrap

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Thought it meant a Scottish person. Which would also be inappropriate. Wearing one as clothing.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Quite uncomfortable too, I reckon.

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

At this point we're all just speculating. He could have been wearing a jockstrap which is a type of underwear or a scotsman which is a type of man. 50-50, innit.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Casillas is pleased to see Ronaldo again:

partipo
Sep 24, 2005
participaction?

sircozzie posted:

Per Mertesaker is the fine collector for the Arsenal first team squad!

These fines are ridiculous for people who earn 50,000 a week on average.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Wait, drug testing isn't mandatory in the EPL?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Abu Dave posted:

Wait, drug testing isn't mandatory in the EPL?

Yeah, the club itself carries out the drug testing :rolleyes:

Urine samples aren't just for drugs tests.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Wenger examines each piss report for traces of red meat.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
There was some article on the BBC site I think that said Man City players have their piss and maybe their poo poo tested and have their diet changed accordingly to make sure they're not missing anything

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Scott Bakula posted:

There was some article on the BBC site I think that said Man City players have their piss and maybe their poo poo tested and have their diet changed accordingly to make sure they're not missing anything

How are you meant to sneak a sly bacon samwich if uncle wengy is sniffing your wee?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...

Hegav posted:

Wait, and Esteban got a red for that? Insane. What was the ref thinking.

JunkDeluxe
Oct 21, 2008

joshtothemaxx posted:

Wait, and Esteban got a red for that? Insane. What was the ref thinking.

Violent conduct, etc.. He should have stopped after the fan was on the ground.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

JunkDeluxe posted:

Violent conduct, etc.. He should have stopped after the fan was on the ground.

The guy was defending himself and making sure he stayed down. As the fan ran on it looked like he pulled something from his belt, gently caress knows what that could have been. The red was insane.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

And it was overturned afterwards

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

The match stopped after the incident and they replayed it a few days later with Estebans red being rescinded because "The keeper was attacked unexpectedly and therefore the prosecutor judged that his mood caused his response against his attacker."

Mind you Esteban Alvarado is hardly a saint.

Hegay fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 20, 2013

Sin Dios
Aug 7, 2004

Hegav posted:

Mind you Esteban Alvarado is hardly a saint.

He's a prime example of goalkeepers that are insane, but that's why he owns. He was accused of attempted murder back home and had to flee and miss out on the last Copa America because of it, so he's possibly actually violent in real life, he's definitely nuts but he's also a good rear end keeper, I'd want him on my team rather than a pussy like De Gea.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

I don't remember it being attempted murder, I thought it was assault and child support stuff. He is crazy though and everyone knows that crazy keepers are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Sin Dios posted:

He's a prime example of goalkeepers that are insane, but that's why he owns. He was accused of attempted murder back home and had to flee and miss out on the last Copa America because of it, so he's possibly actually violent in real life, he's definitely nuts but he's also a good rear end keeper, I'd want him on my team rather than a pussy like De Gea.

What

• Locked thread