Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

Bumping the thread for the New Year's doodle:

Totally called it on Safety Last :smug:, but what are the others?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

i feel good about liverpool fc
This is something I look forward to on new years day now! Here were my guesses:

3:10 to Yuma (clock)
Safety Last! (clock)
The Tenant (the building itself; the girl eating candy looks like Isabelle Adjani in the movie)
Repo Man (CANDY)
Yo-Yo (clown)
Autumn Sonata (leaves + musical notes)
Scanners (screaming man)
Gate to Hell (gate + fire)
The Devil's Backbone (the devil)
Lord of the Flies (the devil is holding a conch shell)
Babette's Feast (woman eating)
Oshima's Boy (the boy in snow)
Eraserhead (climbing the building)
The Kid (the other boy)
Le Samourai (guy with sword and birdcage)

I don't know if all are right but, it seemed good to me. I still think that someone is climbing the building is a separate clue, but I can't think of anything.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I'm hoping the tightrope walker means Man on Wire, but I'm probably way off on that. An upgrade of Le Samourai would be cool, too.

Also, wasn't there a rumor that Criterion landed a bunch of Errol Morris titles a while back?

barkingclam fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 1, 2013

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
I'm kinda hoping the screaming man means a Criterion release of Network, which would be the blu-ray release of the year for me. Probably isn't, though.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

It's straight out of Scanners, sorry! :(

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Awesome to see Safety Last confirmed so quickly. And two more Chaplins!

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I'm just happy about Autumn Sonata, all the other stuff is fixin's.

edit: the guys on criterionforum.org think the building's nine stories could be a Short Cuts hint. That's probably unlikely but I hope not, because I adore that movie.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 1, 2013

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Space Cooter posted:

Here were my guesses:

Your guesses, or what you read on criterionforum.org? Because if you nailed all those, bravo good sir.

Of that list, I'm most excited for Eraserhead... but holding on to the DVD until it's confirmed that the David Lynch "Stories" monologue will carry over. One of my favorite bonus features ever.

The Tenant and Autumn Sonata would be definite purchases for me. Maybe Le Samourai. I'd have to see Boy and the Etaix before deciding. Nothing else is calling out to me, but Eraserhead alone makes me giddy.

No. 1 Space Babe
Jun 16, 2006

I didn't look at cf because that's cheating :mad: but I did talk with my friends about it, the Tenant was the only one I didn't come up with myself though I put it together with the candy girl!

Boy is really great, not a fan of Etaix though. But yeah not a ton of exciting stuff...

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Woman with the curtains might be All That Heaven Allows, which would be another definite upgrade for me.

leokitty
Apr 5, 2005

I live. I die. I live again.
I really want the gates of Hell to mean an upgrade for Jigoku :(

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does anyone know what the deal is with Criterion and Wes Anderson movies? Like, why are Rushmore and The Royal Tenenbaums Criterions but not Fantastic Mr. Fox or Moonrise Kingdom? I assume Criterion has some sort of time threshold and the latter two are really new, but I have no idea what goes on behind the scenes.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
I don't think there's been a specific deal publicly spelled out, but it's obvious that they think a lot of his work and will try to release all of his films.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

kaujot posted:

I don't think there's been a specific deal publicly spelled out, but it's obvious that they think a lot of his work and will try to release all of his films.

Yeah, there was a regular release of Darjeeling before the Criterion version too, so there's still hope for the others. My big question is when Life Aquatic is coming to Blu-Ray; that poo poo would look amazing. :argh:

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...
I believe Criterion and Disney actually worked out a deal of some sort, as Disney released Rushmore, Tenenbaums and Life Aquatic and the latter two actually came out in home video format by Criterion exclusively day and date on release. (As in, there literally was not a non-Criterion release of either film.) Meanwhile, every film since then has been made independently and then picked up by different companies for distribution afterwards so probably more work needs to be put into acquiring them.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart

Hewlett posted:

Yeah, there was a regular release of Darjeeling before the Criterion version too, so there's still hope for the others. My big question is when Life Aquatic is coming to Blu-Ray; that poo poo would look amazing. :argh:

So true. Life Aquatic started out as the worst of his films for me, and has been gaining ground ever since. It really is great.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Nanook of the North will be a Flicker Alley release instead of Criterion:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00AW4ZD8I/ref=nosim?tag=dvdbeaver-20&link_code=as3&creativeASIN=B00AW4ZD8I&creative=373489&camp=211189

It will be cheaper on Flicker Alley's site, but they have not added it yet.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Some guys at Criterion Forum discovered that the blue button on Criterion Blu-Ray menus will sometime pull up easter eggs.

So far, they've found some on The Royal Tenenbaums, Hari-Kari, Island of Lost Souls, Videodrome, Chunking Express, and In the Mood for Love:
http://www.criterionforum.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=423&start=50

I'll laugh if The Seventh Seal has "De Duva" hidden somewhere.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

#220 - NAKED LUNCH (BR, 4/9)

•Blu-Ray upgrade

#213 - RICHARD III (BR/2-disc DVD, 4/9)

•New high-definition digital master of the Film Foundation’s 2012 restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary by playwright and stage director Russell Lees and John Wilders, former governor of the Royal Shakespeare Company
•Interview with actor Laurence Olivier from a 1966 episode of the BBC series Great Acting, hosted by theater critic Kenneth Tynan
•Gallery of behind-the-scenes and production stills and posters, accompanied by excerpts from Olivier’s autobiography, On Acting
•Twelve-minute television trailer featuring footage of Olivier, producer Alexander Korda, and other cast and crew from the film
•Trailer
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film critic Amy Taubin in the Blu-ray edition

#653 - GATE OF HELL (BR/DVD, 4/9)

•New high-definition digital restoration, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by film historian Stephen Prince

#654 - REPO MAN (BR/2-disc DVD, 4/16)

•New high-definition digital restoration, approved by director Alex Cox, with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray edition
•Audio commentary featuring Cox, executive producer Michael Nesmith, casting director Victoria Thomas, and actors Sy Richardson, Zander Schloss, and Del Zamora
•Interviews with Cox, Richardson, and Zamora; producers Peter McCarthy and Jonathan Wacks; actors Olivia Barash, Dick Rude, Miguel Sandoval, and Harry Dean Stanton; musicians Keith Morris and Iggy Pop; and Sam Cohen, the inventor of the neutron bomb
•Deleted scenes
•The complete “cleaned-up” television version of the film, prepared by Cox
•Trailers
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic Sam McPheeters; an illustrated production history by Cox, with his original comic and film proposal; and a 1987 interview with real-life repo man Mark Lewis

#655 - PIERRE ETAIX (2-disc BR/3-disc DVD, 4/23)

•THE SUITOR/YOYO/AS LONG AS YOU'VE GOT YOUR HEALTH/LE GRAND AMOUR/LAND OF MILK AND HONEY
•New digital restorations of all five features and three short films, with uncompressed monaural soundtracks on the Blu-ray edition
•New interview with director Pierre Etaix
•New video introductions by Etaix to seven of the films
•Pierre Etaix, un destin animé (2010), a portrait of the life and work of the director by his wife, Odile Etaix
•New English subtitle translation
•PLUS: A booklet featuring an essay by critic David Cairns

Eclipse Series 38: Masaki Kobayashi Against the System (4-disc DVD, 4/16)

•The Thick-Walled Room
•I Will Buy You
•Black River
•The Inheritance

My take: not interested in owning Repo Man or Naked Lunch. Haven't seen any of the others. I still haven't gotten around to Richard III and doubt I ever will, very interested in the Kinugasa and Kobayashi, curious about the Etaix. No purchases this month, but a lot of rentals.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Been try to get into early Kobayashi, and Gate of Hell is one of the most beautiful looking films ever.

Good month, good month.

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch
I had never heard of Etaix before today, but I am definitely putting that one on the list. First thing I've been interested in for a while, so my funds are recovering. Hope the set isn't too bad.

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

These look pretty fun; however, I'm starting to notice a dearth of features on some of the new Criterions (Gate of Hell seems to have none at all except the booklet essay). It can be kind of disappointing at times, given Criterion's stance of taking a curatorial approach to film releases. Still, I might end up dipping in for the Naked Lunch repackage and Repo Man, and look into the rest.

Fred Breakfast
Aug 12, 2003

I immediately pre-ordered Repo Man. One of my all time favorites.

I actually saw a version of it in hi-def, albeit streaming, and I'm surprised by how much that movie benefits from being in hi-def. I know there's people who are like "Naw dude it's meant to be seen in VHS quality." They're full of poo poo.

aga.
Sep 1, 2008

A bit strange they couldn't get Estevez for anything on the Repo Man extras side. I know the commentary is from the old Anchor Bay release but no interview?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Oh my god, I only just noticed that the entire clean version is one of the features on Repo Man.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Man, I don't think I've been this excited/happy for a Criterion release in a long time.

Repo Man is one of my favorites!

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.

Dangerous Person posted:

Oh my god, I only just noticed that the entire clean version is one of the features on Repo Man.
That really is a feature that needs to be on more DVDs, particularly if they ever put "Robocop" (why yes, I did think about that movie while looking at your avatar) out for the upteenth time, or do another edition of "Die Hard 2". "Repo Man" is going to be interesting since Cox was contractually obligated to shoot some alternate footage specifically for broadcast TV.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Robert Denby posted:

That really is a feature that needs to be on more DVDs, particularly if they ever put "Robocop" (why yes, I did think about that movie while looking at your avatar) out for the upteenth time, or do another edition of "Die Hard 2". "Repo Man" is going to be interesting since Cox was contractually obligated to shoot some alternate footage specifically for broadcast TV.

One of my favorite features on Brazil was the "Love Conquers All" version. It's an amazing testament to the power of editing, since they basically took a dystopian satire and turned it into a romantic comedy.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Robert Denby posted:

This is still my favourite DVD feature of all-time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePoRxQJPPzM

"Where'd ya get that beauty scar, tough guy? Eating pineapple?"

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Cemetry Gator posted:

One of my favorite features on Brazil was the "Love Conquers All" version. It's an amazing testament to the power of editing, since they basically took a dystopian satire and turned it into a romantic comedy.

The commentary is what makes it. Hearing the expert they got for it becoming increasingly baffled over the course of the movie was worth the price of the set itself.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
I've never heard of Etaix before today, but the set sounds interesting. Am I wrong in thinking his films are similar to Jacques Tati's? I liked Mr. Hulot's Holiday and Play Time a lot.

Robert Denby
Sep 9, 2007
Denial isn't just a river in Egypt, huh? Nah, get fucked mate.
In looking for footage from "Videodrome"'s TV version to share with the tread, I stumbled upon this alternate opening:nws:, that I'm going to have to guess was made by the same people who did that wacky alternate opening for "Dune". Criterion missed out on some interesting footage from this, including a scene that basically spells out the main interpretation of the movie, and this incredibly weird addition to the ending (big spoilers if you've never seen "Videodrome").

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

In case people can't wait for the next half-off sale, or have gift cards burning a hole in their pocket from the holidays (like I did), Barnes & Noble is having a Buy 2, get the 3rd Free sale on a lot of their stuff, including Criterions. I said gently caress it, and got Anatomy of a Murder, Branded to Kill and Orpheus on BR; only cost me $35 of my real money.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Robert Denby posted:

In looking for footage from "Videodrome"'s TV version to share with the tread, I stumbled upon this alternate opening:nws:, that I'm going to have to guess was made by the same people who did that wacky alternate opening for "Dune". Criterion missed out on some interesting footage from this, including a scene that basically spells out the main interpretation of the movie, and this incredibly weird addition to the ending (big spoilers if you've never seen "Videodrome").

Wow, what a find. Thanks for posting this.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I watched Tokyo Drifter for the first time last night, and oh my God, it was loving awesome. The use of color, the action, the whole execution. So I'm wondering, where should I go to next? What other films would you recommend that are in that vein.

Also, the last shootout scene seemed very familiar. The white hallway, the black room changing to white, it's like, I've seen it before. It's driving me crazy.

LightsGameraAction
Sep 4, 2006
Any idea when the next 50% Barnes and Noble sale is gonna be? I got a gift card and it's burning a hole in my pocket.

fix yr hearts
Feb 9, 2011

things you cannot touch:
my heart
Around July. July and November are two months you gotta remember to save up for! I literally don't buy Criterions at any other point in the year anymore.

Favorabilis Solitud
May 18, 2006
And that's the way it was.

Cemetry Gator posted:

I watched Tokyo Drifter for the first time last night, and oh my God, it was loving awesome. The use of color, the action, the whole execution. So I'm wondering, where should I go to next? What other films would you recommend that are in that vein.

Also, the last shootout scene seemed very familiar. The white hallway, the black room changing to white, it's like, I've seen it before. It's driving me crazy.

Tokyo Drifter is very unique but Branded to Kill and Pale Flower would be worth a watch.

bat duck
Jul 23, 2001

Favorabilis Solitud posted:

Tokyo Drifter is very unique but Branded to Kill and Pale Flower would be worth a watch.

Talking of Branded to kill. Where anyone else really distracted by Shishidos cheeks? I thought it was cosmetics added for the movie for some reason I couldn't figure out, then I read he actually had surgery to look like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

bat duck posted:

Talking of Branded to kill. Where anyone else really distracted by Shishidos cheeks? I thought it was cosmetics added for the movie for some reason I couldn't figure out, then I read he actually had surgery to look like that.

It was a botched plastic surgery job. He wanted to have a more "exotic" (read: Caucasian) look so he opted to get surgery to get higher, more defined cheek bones. Obviously did not pan out. If you look at pictures of him pre-surgery, he actually looked really handsome and it was a shame he decided to destroy his face like that.