Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Azure_Horizon posted:

The reason he wants to prevent Noel and Serah's time fuckery is based on its central conceit: that affecting the future affects the past. Time in the Fabula Nova Crystallis universe works both backwards and forwards -- all events affect all other events, from the past, to the present, to the future. Instead of real-world physics, which would state that future time alteration would have no effect on events prior, due to the way the Invisible and Visible worlds interact with one another, time has its own doppler effect that ripples back in on itself.

RE: Time

I actually really like this concept and think it should be used more often. We think of time as a straight line, or multiple straight lines intersecting with each other ala string theory. However, what if time was in fact, a loop, a big mobius strip?

The complexity you could reach would be fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

W.T. Fits posted:

Just a quick heads up; the PSOne classics version of FF V won't play on the Vita for some reason.

It annoys the hell out of me, since if it could, it would've meant I wouldn't have to futz around with a separate camera for the Four Job Fiesta this year. :sigh:

The FFV port was very poorly coded. It was one of the very few games that had issues being played on a PS2.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
So I just bought DISSIDIA® 012[duodecim]™ FINAL FANTASY® and it's installing for some reason. If I have this version can I just skip the first or what? What even is this game? I don't know why I bought it.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Overbite posted:

So I just bought DISSIDIA® 012[duodecim]™ FINAL FANTASY® and it's installing for some reason. If I have this version can I just skip the first or what? What even is this game? I don't know why I bought it.

It's a fun fighting game with an awful story and worse dialogue. The first game is actually included so you won't have to skip anything!

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Renoistic posted:

It's a fun fighting game with an awful story and worse dialogue. The first game is actually included so you won't have to skip anything!

Counteropinion: The story of Dissidia is great if you're willing to give it a mulligan on the premise. Its utterly ridiculous the contrivance to bring all these different characters together into one story, but its pretty good once it gets going.

Also its the best handheld fighting game I've ever played.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Overbite posted:

It's a giant blob of nostalgia for Final Fantasy fans. It's very shiny and it's fun to screw around in.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

TurnipFritter posted:

It's a giant blob of nostalgia for Final Fantasy fans. It's very shiny and it's fun to screw around in.

I noticed. The install screen has FF6 music playing while Terra and Magitek armor walk by.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Oh, and depending on your nostalgia level for other childhood pursuits, you may find yourself noticing the narrator of Duodecim is also the Pokemon narrator.

AgentJotun
Nov 1, 2007
Thanks for the Vita info guys, ya'll are pros at Final Fantasy.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

jivjov posted:

Counteropinion: The story of Dissidia is great if you're willing to give it a mulligan on the premise. Its utterly ridiculous the contrivance to bring all these different characters together into one story, but its pretty good once it gets going.

The problem is not that it's ridiculous, that's fine for this kind of game, the issue here is that it's incredibly boring as hell. Most of the time, characters just stand around and talk, talk, talk. There's some fan service here and there, but that should've been cranked up to 012 11 for this thing.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
It pains me to say this but I think I'm done with the Final Fantasy franchise. They just don't appeal to me to anymore and it's pointless trying to get them to "click" and force a square peg down a round hole. I wish I could have a reason to keep buying their games but I can't think of one single thing. Shame, because it used to be mean a lot to me.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

Himuro posted:

It pains me to say this but I think I'm done with the Final Fantasy franchise. They just don't appeal to me to anymore and it's pointless trying to get them to "click" and force a square peg down a round hole. I wish I could have a reason to keep buying their games but I can't think of one single thing. Shame, because it used to be mean a lot to me.

I had the same sort of epiphany when playing FF13...it felt like I had outgrown something that I used to enjoy. I guess we, as an audience, have gotten older and have (hopefully) developed more discriminating tastes in what we find entertaining. The Final Fantasy franchise feels like an aimless, toothless beast right now and I find myself wondering if it should be put away for a few years so that they can determine a way of revitalizing the brand.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Overbite posted:

Everything from the first game is contained in the second, so no worry there.

As for what it is? It's basically a Final Fantasy mega crossover fighting game, with all the ups and downs that provides. You get a bunch of cool characters doing cool moves and you can level crap up and master abilities and get new equipment for new builds in order to better beat things up. The actual game mechanics are pretty solid, if a little hard to get at first (I have entire set of attacks that don't actually hurt my opponent? How come my hit did 300 damage and then 0 damage? Why are we having a QTE minigame that controls completely differently from how we just played in the middle of fighting?).

On the other hand, the story is, well, a fighting game story, there's never enough focus on your favorite characters, and it's an actual legitimate grind to get characters up to levels where they can do everything they're allowed to. On the whole, it's a fun and actually pretty good game, but like most genre hybrids more or less requires you to have an affinity for both things it's trying to do.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I actually really like this concept and think it should be used more often. We think of time as a straight line, or multiple straight lines intersecting with each other ala string theory. However, what if time was in fact, a loop, a big mobius strip?

The answer to this question is that stories about time travel would be even more convoluted, absurd, full of plot holes, and impossible to follow than they already are!

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

I started Final Fantasy XII a few days ago, I skipped it back when it came out even though I liked FFX because I was kind of tired of JRPGs and it got a lot of bad feedback for some reason.

It's more fun than I expected, I really enjoy the gambit system for bashing through dungeons without being interrupted with a battle screen every x-steps, and it's oddly entertaining watching my party members follow my little gambit setup to destroy monsters. The boss battles do a good job of making you feel like you barely made it through, I just fought some forest monster that would rain down this spore attack that caused a jillion status effects to all my guys and only won because two of them decided to keep beating on him at the end even though they were apparently confused and blind.

The only thing that confuses me are the levels, I seem to be perpetually below the level of the monsters and bosses I'm fighting even though I do the occasional hunt mission and don't run away from anything, and even have enough license points to get most of the newest spells and equipment. I tried cutting down to only using four party members to see if I could even my levels up a bit, but I'm not sure if I should even worry about it. I'm using an english patched version of the International release if that makes any difference.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Gear is a lot more important then levels in FFXII, so if you're up to date on gear you're fine.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Yeah, get good gear in FFXII. Don't worry about levels, though they certainly help.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Dr Pepper posted:

Gear is a lot more important then levels in FFXII, so if you're up to date on gear you're fine.

Hasn't Yiazmat been done in a 122333 game, anyways?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Kyrosiris posted:

Hasn't Yiazmat been done in a 122333 game, anyways?

Yeah, like most of the series there's some really silly manipulative bullshit you can pull to effectively neuter every boss encounter if you have all the time in the world and all the equipment in the game and know exactly what to do. FF5 is still a funnier game for that, though.

Fortuitous Bumble
Jan 5, 2007

Himuro posted:

Yeah, get good gear in FFXII. Don't worry about levels, though they certainly help.

Alright, I'm assuming the levels were meant to stay in line with the license points or something and just didn't for some reason.

So far I like the story, it's more like an episodic TV show type of thing with all the different characters than what I was expecting from a Final Fantasy game, but I still like the characters. It does seem to drag out sometimes though. Like earlier I was sent to some village of mask wearing people for help who then told me they couldn't help and to run to the other side of world, basically. It's possible they come into the story later, but it still seems like that whole bit could have just been cut out.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Fortuitous Bumble posted:

I started Final Fantasy XII a few days ago, I skipped it back when it came out even though I liked FFX because I was kind of tired of JRPGs and it got a lot of bad feedback for some reason.

It's more fun than I expected, I really enjoy the gambit system for bashing through dungeons without being interrupted with a battle screen every x-steps, and it's oddly entertaining watching my party members follow my little gambit setup to destroy monsters. The boss battles do a good job of making you feel like you barely made it through, I just fought some forest monster that would rain down this spore attack that caused a jillion status effects to all my guys and only won because two of them decided to keep beating on him at the end even though they were apparently confused and blind.

The only thing that confuses me are the levels, I seem to be perpetually below the level of the monsters and bosses I'm fighting even though I do the occasional hunt mission and don't run away from anything, and even have enough license points to get most of the newest spells and equipment. I tried cutting down to only using four party members to see if I could even my levels up a bit, but I'm not sure if I should even worry about it. I'm using an english patched version of the International release if that makes any difference.

Like people said, don't worry about levels. The only times you may need to stop and grind is if you're short on cash, which can be hard to come by without the occasional enemy-chaining spree.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Vanderdeath posted:

I had the same sort of epiphany when playing FF13...it felt like I had outgrown something that I used to enjoy. I guess we, as an audience, have gotten older and have (hopefully) developed more discriminating tastes in what we find entertaining. The Final Fantasy franchise feels like an aimless, toothless beast right now and I find myself wondering if it should be put away for a few years so that they can determine a way of revitalizing the brand.

I felt the same way about FF13-2.
I had the misfortune of deciding to buck up and finish the WoR in FF6 after getting frustrated with some stupid poo poo in FFXIII (I think it was Barthadelus V2.0). It was just so much better and I could not get back into XIII afterwards. It really put things into perspective just how awry things went.
Then I just grit my teeth and beat it. Orphan ain't poo poo.
I didn't get FFXIII-2 and watched an LP of it instead. I quickly realized that I dodged a bullet.
Then FFXIII-3 was announced. And I just went :suicide: (My buddy, who is really into this series, pretty much said exactly that: "Wow, they're making a sequel to XIII-2? I want to kill myself. What the hell Square Enix?" Obviously he was exaggerating, but that nerd despair was all too familiar to me)

Even now, I'm watching Brain Weasel's FFXII IZJS LP and I'm really enjoying the story. I never realized how good it was since apparently I found my fun running around places, making numbers go up and sticking sharp objects into things that wanted to kill me. And yet that was loads more fun than XIII.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 07:52 on Jan 20, 2013

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

There's a lot to be said for how much enjoyment you get out of a game when you play it for what it is, rather than what it could have been. Final Fantasies XII and XIII have a kind of remarkable contrast in that respect.

Forget that Vaan was not originally written as the hero. Forget about the development hell that the game went through. Play the game for precisely what it presents to you, and aside from some dumb gameplay mechanics, it's pretty much solid. Brain Weasel's LP is a great demonstration of that, showcasing the story for what it is rather than veering off into speculation over what could have been. For all we know, favorites like V and VI went through just as much trouble in trying to establish a direction, but we didn't see any of that because the dev team and the amount of assets they needed to work with were much, much smaller, making for much easier communication and far faster changes. And of course, we didn't have the same kind of media with insight into devs' brains as we do nowadays.

Now in XIII-2, and XIII to some extent, you kind of have to go grasping outside the game to really find context for everything that's going on, even beyond the fact that it's a sequel (albeit a far less direct one than it would appear at first) and to understand what the hell the game's designers were attempting to convey. Unless, of course, you can just focus solely on gameplay mechanics (which are fine), but that strikes me as missing half the appeal that an RPG should have.

About this XIII-3 business: Hobo-Lightning is the least awful costume and Bizarro Serah looks like she could actually be hilarious, because she's got this crazy-eye thing going. But she will probably be anime as gently caress in the worst way.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah replaying old FF games it's pretty clear the dev cycles weren't always that clear-cut. Stuff like Necron popping out of nowhere, FF7 hiding a REALLY IMPORTANT PLOT POINT in an optional area you had to visit late in the game when you had no reason to (how Cloud ended up thinking he was Zack), pretty much every single FF game having the villian/story threads change like 5 times in every game. For some reason it's way more obvious in FF13 where you have a character literally die and then be revived for one scene right before dying again, or people heavily featured in promo materials thrown away for a while (Every non-Bart villian)

Edit: Wait FF7 hid multiple REALLY IMPORTANT PLOT POINTS including that Sephiroth's real mom was a woman not some alien

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Edit: Wait FF7 hid multiple REALLY IMPORTANT PLOT POINTS including that Sephiroth's real mom was a woman not some alien

...God drat, how much did I miss when I played FF7?

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

For some reason it's way more obvious in FF13 where you have a character literally die and then be revived for one scene right before dying again, or people heavily featured in promo materials thrown away for a while (Every non-Bart villian)

And not just the characters. Isn't Cocoon supposed to be some artificial super city or something like that? Then why would it have mountains, beaches, forests, etc etc? It sure doesn't look big enough for it to be an artificial planet when you look at it from the ground.

This just makes me believe that they totally came up with the concept of Cocoon once they were done rendering all the different locations, which is... pretty stupid, really.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Kyrosiris posted:

...God drat, how much did I miss when I played FF7?

The biggest points that people overlook completely:

-There is an optional cutscene that shows how Vincent turned into a weird monster thing. Hojo experimented on him and did it, basically. Vincent loved a woman called Lucretia but she married Professor Hojo and had his kid. Hojo decided to experiment on his kid by injecting his pregnant wife with Jenova cells. Sephiroth is the son of the woman Vincent loved and Hojo. It's a pretty big deal especially because Sephiroth goes insane and kills everyone because he thinks he is an alien!!

-There is an in-depth cutscene that shows what happened in between the time Cloud was kidnapped and experimented on and the beginning of FF7. He was in there for FOUR YEARS and literally gets out RIGHT before the start of the game. He thinks he is Zack because Zack tells him his life story while he's basically poisoned with Mako, dies, and then gives him his sword and he just sort of snaps. He also has a connection with Sephiroth because he was injected with JENOVA during those 4 years. Crisis Core expands on that a lot but it was in the original game.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

-There is an optional cutscene that shows how Vincent turned into a weird monster thing. Hojo experimented on him and did it, basically. Vincent loved a woman called Lucretia but she married Professor Hojo and had his kid. Hojo decided to experiment on his kid by injecting his pregnant wife with Jenova cells. Sephiroth is the son of the woman Vincent loved and Hojo. It's a pretty big deal especially because Sephiroth goes insane and kills everyone because he thinks he is an alien!!

Pretty sure it's mentioned five billion times in the main story that Sephiroth was injected with Jenova cells when he was a baby.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I'm really bummed there isn't an FFV update. FFIVCC on PSP is such a beautiful game, and FFV is one of my favorite in the whole series.

... it's also the only one I haven't beaten :eng99: I've gone through it three times, and all three times, I've lost my save file in one manner or another. The most recent attempt was FFV on the GBA, and I still have the game... but my I broke my DSLite and my DSXL doesn't play GBA games :saddowns:

And echoing all sentiments about recent FF games. I don't think its purely a matter of getting older, because I still love a lot of the older FF games (as in, played them in the last few years, still enjoyed them, not nostalgia speaking). And I'm not averse to newish jrpgs either (Tales of Vesperia was a great game). FF13/2 though? Yeuuuuch. FF13-3? Ugh. I'm actually somewhat interested in the FF14 reboot, but a subscription fee kills that entirely.

Nu-Square did give me Tactics Ogre, so I guess I can't hate them entirely, because goddamn I love some Matsuno games.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Krad posted:

And not just the characters. Isn't Cocoon supposed to be some artificial super city or something like that? Then why would it have mountains, beaches, forests, etc etc? It sure doesn't look big enough for it to be an artificial planet when you look at it from the ground.

This just makes me believe that they totally came up with the concept of Cocoon once they were done rendering all the different locations, which is... pretty stupid, really.

Pretty sure they never said it was anything beyond an artificial environment that served as an isolated utopia, not really speaking much of the scope. Cocoon actually is really nicely designed, too -- any time you're playing through a segment there, look up and you can see the opposite interior surface of the sphere beyond the sky. It's an incredibly striking visual, all the better for not being blatantly showcased. The shame there is the one everyone knows; that the actual gameplay environments were too restricted to explore what looked like an otherwise unique and gorgeous world.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Yeah replaying old FF games it's pretty clear the dev cycles weren't always that clear-cut. Stuff like Necron popping out of nowhere, FF7 hiding a REALLY IMPORTANT PLOT POINT in an optional area you had to visit late in the game when you had no reason to (how Cloud ended up thinking he was Zack), pretty much every single FF game having the villian/story threads change like 5 times in every game. For some reason it's way more obvious in FF13 where you have a character literally die and then be revived for one scene right before dying again, or people heavily featured in promo materials thrown away for a while (Every non-Bart villian)

Main villain doesn't change in FF 2, 5, 6, 7 at the least.

You could argue it does in 6 but Kefka's the face of the empire for you since you hardly interact with the emperor and the other generals side with you.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

Is there any in this rout
with authority to treat with me?

Stuff like Necron popping out of nowhere

Wasn't that a nod to Cloud of Darkness? Which would explain why it appears Necron has breasts.
I guess if it was named Darkness of Eternity instead of being named Necron, then people would figure its goal is akin to Cloud of Darkness' goal.

I've not played III yet though, I completed FFI the other day and I'm now going through FFII.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I really enjoyed 2. Some awesome music too. Game systems are a little wonky, but not that bad depending on version.

3... I couldn't tell you the first thing about it even after beating it, other than remembering the DS version was hideously ugly.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

After playing Dissidia, I am really intrigued by the Emperor of Palamecia's character. For some reason I'm a lot more engaged with games if the villains draw me to learn more about them.

Which is probably why I didn't enjoy VIII too much until I realized that Ultimecia is her own undoing. That said, I loved Kuja for being an ironically "human" villain, from what I understand of III, Xande is roughly similar to him.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

victrix posted:

And echoing all sentiments about recent FF games. I don't think its purely a matter of getting older, because I still love a lot of the older FF games (as in, played them in the last few years, still enjoyed them, not nostalgia speaking). And I'm not averse to newish jrpgs either (Tales of Vesperia was a great game). FF13/2 though? Yeuuuuch. FF13-3? Ugh.

I can understand that response to XIII-3, but I'm actually relatively hopeful it might be good. They're going full Majora's Mask with it, right down to the bizarro world/apocalypse countdown mechanic. If they can channel the tone of MM properly, it could easily be the best of the XIII series (at least that came to the West, I've heard pretty good things about Type-0). I'm slightly biased though, Majora's Mask is in my top 3 favourite games ever.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

CottonWolf posted:

I can understand that response to XIII-3, but I'm actually relatively hopeful it might be good. They're going full Majora's Mask with it, right down to the bizarro world/apocalypse countdown mechanic. If they can channel the tone of MM properly, it could easily be the best of the XIII series (at least that came to the West, I've heard pretty good things about Type-0). I'm slightly biased though, Majora's Mask is in my top 3 favourite games ever.

You could rewind time back to the start in MM. My understanding is this is a solid time limit you can only extend.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

SpazmasterX posted:

You could rewind time back to the start in MM. My understanding is this is a solid time limit you can only extend.

Oh, really? It's more of a time management sim then? That could be interesting, almost Persona-esque. I'm sure there's a better analogy, but I can't think of it.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

The impression I always got from this was actually that (grossness ahead) Lucretia was a surrogate, but the genetic material was Jenova's and Hojo's. Like Hojo extracted an egg cell from Jenova's body, fertilized it, and then Lucretia carried the result to term ~for science~. I never played Dirge of Cerberus or Crisis Core, so it's totally possible I'm basing that on my own attempt to cobble meaning from FF7's bad translation, but in any case I still think that kinda sounds better.

gredgie
Dec 9, 2012

I always thought Lucrecia was impregnated in the conventional way (or, her eggs were just artificially inseminated with Hojo's loveseed) and then Jenova cells were directly injected into the embryo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

It is completely acceptable...no, wholeheartedly recommended to base any and all impressions of Final Fantasy VII's story on the contents of the three discs it shipped on.

No more, no less.