Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spice World War II
Jul 12, 2004
In 10 years we'll probably find out a V-Mann planted the bomb (deliberately non-functioning) in his quest to infiltrate some salafist splinter cell because the Verfassungsschutz had to spend the money they don't spend on as many V-Leute with the NPD anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Noahdraron posted:

I guess Al Qaeda doesn't hate us as much as other nations but they feel they have to make at least a token effort every now and then and send some rookie to do the job, what with resources being scarce and all. They couldn't even be bothered to find a good target. Seriously, who cares about loving Bonn?

Maybe they had a thirty years old book that named Bonn as the German capital?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW

ArchangeI posted:

Maybe they had a thirty years old book that named Bonn as the German capital?

Maybe they'll try to kidnap Helmut Kohl next, that would be hilarious.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
There are still several government offices in Bonn that never moved.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

midnightclimax posted:

Maybe they'll try to kidnap Helmut Kohl next, that would be hilarious.

They will try to kidnap his wife in order to blackmail him into carrying a (malfunctioning) bomb into the Bundestag.

This all very much reminds me of a front page article on SA about how Obama now uses mentally challenged suicide bombers because all the competent ones died in previous attacks.

Noahdraron
Jun 1, 2011

God Loves Ugly
RIP Peter Struck, he was a pretty cool guy. :(
Seems like the SPD can't produce any decent people these days and he could have taught a new generation how to wear a mustache and be a good social democrat.

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Noahdraron posted:

RIP Peter Struck, he was a pretty cool guy. :(
Seems like the SPD can't produce any decent people these days and he could have taught a new generation how to wear a mustache and be a good social democrat.

You mean this guy:

"Unsere Sicherheit wird nicht nur, aber auch am Hindukusch verteidigt."?

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

bronin posted:

You mean this guy:

"Unsere Sicherheit wird nicht nur, aber auch am Hindukusch verteidigt."?

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that he was, to a certain point, correct.

Neuntausend
Sep 11, 2012

Wir werden alle sterben.

Riso posted:

There are still several government offices in Bonn that never moved.

Yep, and there are employees of the Bundesministerien flying the 500km between Bonn and Berlin on a daily basis, it seems kinda stupid at times.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

Neuntausend posted:

Yep, and there are employees of the Bundesministerien flying the 500km between Bonn and Berlin on a daily basis, it seems kinda stupid at times.

How did they decide the split? I know Finanz and the AA are run prettymuch exclusively from Berlin, but I think a lot of the domestic stuff is still in both/bonn? It seems incredibly stupid, but at this point moving everything to Berlin would only serve to take a shitload of money out of Bonn.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Landsknecht posted:

How did they decide the split? I know Finanz and the AA are run prettymuch exclusively from Berlin, but I think a lot of the domestic stuff is still in both/bonn? It seems incredibly stupid, but at this point moving everything to Berlin would only serve to take a shitload of money out of Bonn.

And back then it wouldn't have had the same effect?

The decision to not completely move the government was pretty ridiculous and based on the desire to placate those who were against having Berlin as a capital instead of Bonn in the first place.

In case you weren't there / too young / don't remember / whatever:

It's always been part of the Grundgesetz (constitution) that Berlin is the capital. Due to that not being feasible in practice while Germany was divided, the government of the Bundesrepublik Deutschland (aka "West Germany") was set up in Bonn with the understanding that it would be temporary. For the next several decades, politicians went on to talk about how the government would of course immediately be moved to Berlin as soon as Germany would be reunified (which basically everyone thought impossible up until November of 1989). Then the unthinkable - reunification - actually happened and suddenly the talking point was "Yeah, Berlin is the capital, but not the seat of the government, we'll need a vote to change this". When Berlin won, this "Yeah, the government is going to move, but not all government agencies will move" BS was implemented.

It's a miracle that anything was moved at all. I wouldn't have been surprised if the next talking point would have been "Yeah, the agencies will move, but the officials will stay in Bonn and telecommute".

PrBacterio
Jul 19, 2000

flavor posted:

And back then it wouldn't have had the same effect?

The decision to not completely move the government was pretty ridiculous and based on the desire to placate those who were against having Berlin as a capital instead of Bonn in the first place.

In case you weren't there / too young / don't remember / whatever:

It's always been part of the Grundgesetz (constitution) that Berlin is the capital. Due to that not being feasible in practice while Germany was divided, the government of the Bundesrepublik Deutschland (aka "West Germany") was set up in Bonn with the understanding that it would be temporary. For the next several decades, politicians went on to talk about how the government would of course immediately be moved to Berlin as soon as Germany would be reunified (which basically everyone thought impossible up until November of 1989). Then the unthinkable - reunification - actually happened and suddenly the talking point was "Yeah, Berlin is the capital, but not the seat of the government, we'll need a vote to change this". When Berlin won, this "Yeah, the government is going to move, but not all government agencies will move" BS was implemented.

It's a miracle that anything was moved at all. I wouldn't have been surprised if the next talking point would have been "Yeah, the agencies will move, but the officials will stay in Bonn and telecommute".
That sounds like so much bullshit. Why didn't they just admit that the move was going to take some time to implement and set up a plan to do it incrementally ... oh ... wait. Right. Politicians :bang:

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
This is pretty much the micro version of the EU Brussels-Strasbourg split. It just lacks the exclusive high speed rail connection between Bonn-Berlin for politicians.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
So at this point I suspect that a Cat would be more qualified to build an airport.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Landsknecht posted:

So at this point I suspect that a Cat would be more qualified to build an airport.

Capitalising nouns is such a telltale giveaway for us German speaking folks :shepface:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Adulterous Hitler posted:

Capitalising nouns is such a telltale giveaway for us German speaking folks :shepface:

No, you see, this is what he meant:

:downsrim:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

Sereri posted:

That's not even a rimshot-level joke, that's the god-honest truth there.
That excavator, by itself, uncrewed as it is, would have been able to put up an airport by now.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

How in the gently caress does the FDP get ~9,5% anywhere in the year of our Lord 2013? 10% even. What in the gently caress. What the hell is wrong with Lower Saxony?

Bistromatic
Oct 3, 2004

And turn the inner eye
To see its path...
Oh geez, and here was hopeful they might not make the 5%.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Sereri posted:

Or maybe he's talking about famous German celebrity Daniela "The Cat" Katzenberger.

Having her trying to build an airport would keep her off my TV, so everybody wins.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Saw this on the newsstand at the grocery store here on New Year's Eve. It feels appropriate somehow.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Well, now there's a chance of it coming down to overhang-mandates again. I wonder if we'll ever get rid of those.

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Drone posted:

Saw this on the newsstand at the grocery store here on New Year's Eve. It feels appropriate somehow.

I could give you a list with the 3,5 million most annoying people in Berlin :iamafag:

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

I could give you a list with the 3,5 million most annoying people in Berlin :iamafag:

You mean the Telefonbuch ?

Noahdraron
Jun 1, 2011

God Loves Ugly
Well that does it, no more Currywurst or Döner for you ungrateful jealous plebs. <:mad:>

ArchangeI
Jul 15, 2010

Sereri posted:

You mean the Telefonbuch ?

:golfclap:

I'd also like a good, well reasoned explanation why in the flying gently caress the FDP managed to get 10% in Lower Saxony. They even loving gained 2% relative to 2009! I guess that means Rösler is out of the woods, never would have thought it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Rösler is going to step down. He's the FDP's Michael Steele.

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009

ArchangeI posted:

:golfclap:

I'd also like a good, well reasoned explanation why in the flying gently caress the FDP managed to get 10% in Lower Saxony. They even loving gained 2% relative to 2009! I guess that means Rösler is out of the woods, never would have thought it.

Who is forming the government? It looks like the SPD/Gruene and CDU/FDP have exactly the same number of seats won?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Landsknecht posted:

Who is forming the government? It looks like the SPD/Gruene and CDU/FDP have exactly the same number of seats won?

It's not entirely decided yet. The full count will take a while longer, so there's still a chance that one of the coalitions will end up with a seat or two ahead (possibly through overhang).

Update: The count is now finished, SPD+Grüne managed to win by one seat. Also, apparently a lot of the votes for the FDP came about due to strategic voting from CDU-supporters.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 21, 2013

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

So apparently, after losing our ability to build airports, we've also lost the ability to build train stations.

Someone tell Blohm & Voss to never go into public transportation lest their poo poo mysteriously implode.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Duzzy Funlop posted:

So apparently, after losing our ability to build airports, we've also lost the ability to build train stations.

Someone tell Blohm & Voss to never go into public transportation lest their poo poo mysteriously implode.

quote:

Eigentlich sollten schon im Jahr 2020 Züge durch den unterirdischen Bahnhof fahren

Schon im Jahr 2020. Schon. :stare:

Why did it need to be underground again?

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

but none of them are Swabians :smug:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
There's a joke in there somewhere with hipsters and Swabians and underground.

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

Zwille posted:

There's a joke in there somewhere with hipsters and Swabians and underground.

Yeah, but you've probably never heard of it.

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
My new theory is that the Prenzlberg-Schwaben are to blame for BER failing.

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

Because of all the Spaetzle that they keep throwing into the airports fire protection system?

niethan
Nov 22, 2005

Don't be scared, homie!
Well wasn't the problem with the airport the fire protection system made by the swabians from Bosch?

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
I'm desperately looking for that Didi & Stulle strip, where they go to their favourite bar and find out its been converted to sell Käsespätzle for 30 €. Ah man that last panel is so funny, can't find it now. Anyways, Didi & Stulle owns.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
It's not the exact same you're thinking of, probably, but it's close. Click for bigger version.

bonus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

So between 2011 and today, we've had, what, six politicians lose their PhD to either plagiarism or gross negligence, with three of them in high-profile positions and one being the big kahuna of our loving ministry of education. How have I not been bombarded with topical jokes by my american or european buddies?