Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

So as someone who loved FE7 but wasn't crazy about FE8/9/10, is FE13 gonna be good enough to tip me in the direction of buying a 3DS? Everything I've heard about it sounds great, and the mechanical depth sounds fantastic, but unless it really knocks it out of the park, I'm a little leery of dropping $200+. Is it really that stellar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

What didn't you like about 8, 9 and 10?

Zore posted:

Wait, how did your Avatar not gain any levels? They get 1.5X exp from being in double, and since you should always be doubling on Lunatic, and since they have one of the only 'safe' attacks you can make with their ranged magic, I don't get how you didn't get like 5ish levels on them. That was the only way I got through the chapters, and by that point my Avatar had mostly superior stats to Frederick which helped a ton.

The supporting member of the pair only gains experience when they successfully dual attack, and they don't get bonus experience from kills so don't expect to gain tons of levels while Frederick does all the work.

Admittedly I haven't played anything past the demo, but based on that and my experience with FE12 Lunatic, pair up will be best used for hitting certain benchmarks (enough speed and attack to 1RKO, enough durability to be 3-4HKO'd) and not something you just use all the time since it lowers the amount of actions your team has. In FE12 Lunatic, it was basically impossible to build up any significant durability lead so good offense (meaning 3HKOs at worst) from as many units as possible was necessary to kill enemy formations before they could kill you was the most important thing and I'm assuming that will still be the case in Awakening.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This game needs to come out like now.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

What didn't you like about 8, 9 and 10?

I dunno if I really have a good reason, to be honest. I guess I would chalk it up to 7 feeling like a more cohesive package in terms of story, characters, and mechanics. 8 was a little all over the place for me with the changes from 7, and 9/10 seemed kinda bland for whatever reason - maybe the unimpressive 3D fights. I'm cool with additional mechanics so long as they feel like well thought out and integrated parts of the game, but not so much as if they're just there as additional material for no apparent reason.

I also played and enjoyed 6 until it got too difficult for me. I am terrible at Fire Emblem games.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

I'm trying to pre-order the Awakening bundle from BestBuy (I'm in Canada), but I can't order it in-store, I can only order it online and have it shipped (arriving after the release date.) Does anybody know if this is just some weird corporate thing from BestBuy, or does it mean that it flat out won't be available in-store?

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Cake Attack posted:

I'm trying to pre-order the Awakening bundle from BestBuy (I'm in Canada), but I can't order it in-store, I can only order it online and have it shipped (arriving after the release date.) Does anybody know if this is just some weird corporate thing from BestBuy, or does it mean that it flat out won't be available in-store?

It was the same for GameStop, I couldn't make a preorder for in-store pickup, had to have it delivered.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I think my favorite part of the demo so far, is not so much the demo itself (because I can't play it), but scouting around the Internet and seeing all these "I've never played Fire Emblem before but the demo was really cool so it's day one for me!" posts. :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsDy7QJ5uh8

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
My issue at this point is that the game is coming out too soon to be paid for with tax return cash, but too late to benefit from the small bonus I got last week. And I'm low on cash in general from being out of work the past month for surgery...

I wonder if Gamestop will accept an unopened half pint of Codeine syrup in lieu of money for my preorder

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I normally play with it off but the 3D in this game is really quite good. I don't know how long my eyes could take it without hurting but the depth is really impressive with the slider all the way up. It makes the battle scenes feel even more dynamic somehow. I might give it a shot with the 3D on when I start playing the retail version.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
My Unit gets an HP/Luck/Res level: "I can tell I've gotten stronger!" :downs:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Artix74 posted:

My Unit gets an HP/Luck/Res level: "I can tell I've gotten stronger!" :downs:

Watch him survive a high crit magic spell with one HP left.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Philip Rivers posted:

So as someone who loved FE7 but wasn't crazy about FE8/9/10, is FE13 gonna be good enough to tip me in the direction of buying a 3DS? Everything I've heard about it sounds great, and the mechanical depth sounds fantastic, but unless it really knocks it out of the park, I'm a little leery of dropping $200+. Is it really that stellar?
General opinion out of Japan is that it's the best Fire Emblem yet, or at least second or third best, and some of my friends in Japan love Fire Emblem so much that Best Fire Emblem = Their Favorite Game of All Time. That said, whether a really good Fire Emblem is worth 200 dollars is up to you.

EDIT: Also the pairing mechanics in this are probably better than FE4's because you can't screw yourself over by having Sety's dad be Arden. Yes game, I did want a mage with a 10% magic growth, thanks.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Jan 20, 2013

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Small question about FE11 since I'm currently replaying it: What happens to the weapons of a character when he dies? I remember they should go back to the convoy but they don't seem to?

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
They go to the convoy after the end of the chapter.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Soon, Lissa. Soon. :black101:

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy

Philip Rivers posted:

I dunno if I really have a good reason, to be honest. I guess I would chalk it up to 7 feeling like a more cohesive package in terms of story, characters, and mechanics. 8 was a little all over the place for me with the changes from 7, and 9/10 seemed kinda bland for whatever reason - maybe the unimpressive 3D fights. I'm cool with additional mechanics so long as they feel like well thought out and integrated parts of the game, but not so much as if they're just there as additional material for no apparent reason.

I also played and enjoyed 6 until it got too difficult for me. I am terrible at Fire Emblem games.
I have a feeling that if you disliked 8, you probably won't like this one much. FE13 comes across to me as something like 8's world map approach, and taking their little class experiment in 11/12 and fixing a lot of the problems with that.

Either way you look at it though, if you haven't played 11/12, then 13 is going to feel like a pretty wild departure with its class and doubling system. If you disliked 8 because of all of its changes (which is what, the overworld map and the double split), then I'd probably fear for you if you have to buy the 3DS as well.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
I hope they don't continue to let stat creep get out of control in future games. Way I see it, the smaller numbers were better. Easier to take a quick glance at two units and see exactly how their fight is going down.

Transparent, easy to parse mechanics are one of the highlights of Fire Emblem.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Terper posted:

Soon, Lissa. Soon. :black101:

I got her to say this in a Hard Mode run and she died the next turn.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Captain Oblivious posted:

I hope they don't continue to let stat creep get out of control in future games. Way I see it, the smaller numbers were better. Easier to take a quick glance at two units and see exactly how their fight is going down.

Transparent, easy to parse mechanics are one of the highlights of Fire Emblem.

I agree with what you're saying, but stat caps would need to get much higher than 30-50 before it becomes an issue. A lot of the transparency comes from how easy calculations are - a point of strength is a point of damage, a point of defense is one less point of damage, and you double if speed > enemy speed +5. Even with stats in the 40s, none of that really changes.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Not to mention it isn't like stats in the 40s is really new, FE4 had that late in the game just due to the ridiculous bonuses from holy weapons. I seriously doubt they'll ever let the stat creep get TOO out of hand. If any of the non-HP stats ever end up in the triple digits, then yeah, you'd have a problem, but just being ten or so points above the old standards doesn't ruin the game flow.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.

Cake Attack posted:

I agree with what you're saying, but stat caps would need to get much higher than 30-50 before it becomes an issue. A lot of the transparency comes from how easy calculations are - a point of strength is a point of damage, a point of defense is one less point of damage, and you double if speed > enemy speed +5. Even with stats in the 40s, none of that really changes.

I don't know. The math might be easy enough when you're dealing with >100% skill activation chances and subtracting 150% avoid from 230% chance to hit, but it's still awfully dumb. Even the GBA games went pretty far in giving characters 100%+ avoid and it straight up breaks the game, or at least the AI.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I kinda regret playing the demo, It's making it way to hard to go back to FE12. Everything but the portraits just looks so bad.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
There's no word on the 3DS bundle coming to Europe, is there?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cake Attack posted:

It's more of a "I'm concerned for upcoming Fire Emblems" thing than a concerned for the current one thing. Kind of like the increasing anime levels in Awakening. It's fine right now but I'm a bit wary of where this is going.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

So long as it doesn't turn into the Shining series I'm okay for the moment.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

So, I have a question, for those who have played the full game. Does Awakening have map save points like 11 and 12 do? They weren't in the demo, but then the demo didn't feature saving at all. I just don't hugely want to have to deal with having to replay entire long chapters if I mess up slightly on Lunatic.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

No. You can save anytime you want to in Casual, though.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT
Yes!
YES!
:syoon: HELL loving YES! :syoon:

This is like every Fire Emblem game smashed together into one awesome cluster of a game.
I am getting this for my 3DS as soon as it comes out!

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Adelheid posted:

So, I have a question, for those who have played the full game. Does Awakening have map save points like 11 and 12 do? They weren't in the demo, but then the demo didn't feature saving at all. I just don't hugely want to have to deal with having to replay entire long chapters if I mess up slightly on Lunatic.

There are no Shadow Dragon-style map saves, but, in Casual mode, there are Path of Radiance-style battle saves. I think that Casual mode might be an interesting choice on Lunatic because expendable units means everybody can take one more hit if you don't mind them falling behind in EXP.

Shiny777
Oct 29, 2011

YAMI WO KIRISAKU
OH DESIRE

Endorph posted:

Not to mention it isn't like stats in the 40s is really new, FE4 had that late in the game just due to the ridiculous bonuses from holy weapons. I seriously doubt they'll ever let the stat creep get TOO out of hand. If any of the non-HP stats ever end up in the triple digits, then yeah, you'd have a problem, but just being ten or so points above the old standards doesn't ruin the game flow.

You can actually get triple digit non-HP stats here. It requires a bunch of stacking buffs and careful eugenics, but crazy poo poo like 111 Spd or like 106 Def or around 170 Atk and the like is totally achievable. Realistically only deep into the postgame, and only one character can hit the absolute craziest numbers, with mutually exclusive builds limiting them to only one of those, but. It is possible.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Francis posted:

I don't know. The math might be easy enough when you're dealing with >100% skill activation chances and subtracting 150% avoid from 230% chance to hit, but it's still awfully dumb. Even the GBA games went pretty far in giving characters 100%+ avoid and it straight up breaks the game, or at least the AI.
I think it's a problem with the simplicity of the system. To make it substantially harder, there's not a whole lot they can do to the enemy AI, so they have to give the AI more advantages, such as higher stats, special skills and forges, and so forth. But the player needs to be able to win, so stat caps tend to creep up for player units alongside it.

It's not really that much of an issue unless you're an obsessive grinder/reclasser, in which case yes it will probably trivialize all but the highest tiers of content specifically designed around that min-maxing... but so what? Just don't do that until the very end when you're actually going to do that content.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Shiny777 posted:

You can actually get triple digit non-HP stats here. It requires a bunch of stacking buffs and careful eugenics, but crazy poo poo like 111 Spd or like 106 Def or around 170 Atk and the like is totally achievable. Realistically only deep into the postgame, and only one character can hit the absolute craziest numbers, with mutually exclusive builds limiting them to only one of those, but. It is possible.
Well yeah, but I meant triple digit stats naked.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
One thing I'd really like that I feel would give longevity to the games would be adding challenge aspects as selectable rather than tied to a specific difficulty.

In other words I think Reverse Normal would be a fun way of shaking up the series without also making it obscenely difficult and I kind of wish it was selectable.

Francis
Jul 23, 2007

Thanks for the input, Jeff.
Reverse is just kind of dumb, but I see your point. FE7 kind of did that with Hector Normal having more reinforcements and more challenging layouts, but not the higher stats and XP/deployment penalties of Hard Mode. It'd be nice if they leaned harder on the non-stat difficulty options, or had more difficulty options in the sweet spot between Hard and Lunatic instead of just slapping on an even more bullshit difficulty. Then again, I've never bothered with H2/H3/H4 or FE12 Maniac, so maybe there's no point. But I think Hard-statted enemies with forged weapons and Lunatic/Lunatic+ skills would be fun, for example.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think skill points like the Super Robot Wars series would be an interesting addition to Fire Emblem. Maybe have it tied to secrets.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I don't know whether to download the demo and have a fun but subjectively longer wait, or just wait until February and dive in head first.

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

Francis posted:

Reverse is just kind of dumb, but I see your point. FE7 kind of did that with Hector Normal having more reinforcements and more challenging layouts, but not the higher stats and XP/deployment penalties of Hard Mode. It'd be nice if they leaned harder on the non-stat difficulty options, or had more difficulty options in the sweet spot between Hard and Lunatic instead of just slapping on an even more bullshit difficulty. Then again, I've never bothered with H2/H3/H4 or FE12 Maniac, so maybe there's no point. But I think Hard-statted enemies with forged weapons and Lunatic/Lunatic+ skills would be fun, for example.

You know, I get the feeling that most people who say reverse is dumb, haven't actually played it. It's lots of fun and I really enjoy it. I'd probably like FE12 way less if it weren't for Reverse, and, I'm looking forward to playing Lunatic+ with its Vantage+ even if it's not on every enemy.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

The Fisher King posted:

I don't know whether to download the demo and have a fun but subjectively longer wait, or just wait until February and dive in head first.

Well, it's a great demo for sure. But I've been replaying it over and over trying different things and I think the demo will run out before the wait does. Two weeks is too long dammit!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Adelheid posted:

You know, I get the feeling that most people who say reverse is dumb, haven't actually played it. It's lots of fun and I really enjoy it. I'd probably like FE12 way less if it weren't for Reverse, and, I'm looking forward to playing Lunatic+ with its Vantage+ even if it's not on every enemy.

I got up to chapter 7 of reverse and thought it less fun than normal lunatic. I hit a wall where Catria was one hp short of pulling off the strategy I came up with and never kept going. (Of course now that I'm thinking about it months later, I realize I could have just bought a robe/shield from the shop).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Alright. Preordered my DS bundle from Gamestop today. Does getting the bundle count as preordering for purposes of getting the art book?

• Locked thread