Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My understanding is that in a race situation you don't want lots of engine braking, hence why slipper clutches exist. Maybe the EBR ECM has a hold-open program for the throttle to reduce engine braking? I can't see any way an ecu would affect this otherwise because it can't physically crack open the throttlebodies (I'm assuming a buell doesn't have fly by wire throttle).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Perhaps just higher idle set on the one with engine braking?

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Slavvy posted:

My understanding is that in a race situation you don't want lots of engine braking, hence why slipper clutches exist. Maybe the EBR ECM has a hold-open program for the throttle to reduce engine braking? I can't see any way an ecu would affect this otherwise because it can't physically crack open the throttlebodies (I'm assuming a buell doesn't have fly by wire throttle).

Timing advance/retard.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I've seen a couple XB build write-ups mention adding a slipper clutch because of the massive engine braking dragging the rear tire around on downshifts. I'm pretty content attributing the variation between bikes to being the product of a "premium hand-built motorcycle" - or as a Ducati engineer might put it: "It's-a good enough-a!"

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009
Leaky intake seals might also play a role, honestly I'm surprised the sportster/Buell intakes seal at all. It's just a tapered rubber gasket that's clamped down around each intake port and then hopefully seals around the intake while still allowing everything to move around, no rubber boots or hose clamps here.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

Linedance posted:

A cursory google search reveals the extent of my ignorance on the subject. Oddly enough, I knew that "cross drilled rotors" etc. were purely cosmetic on cars, but for some reason I thought they served a purpose on bikes.

I know people since the invention of disc brakes have brought up outgassing of the pads as the reason for grooves and holes. Is outgassing real though? If so, is it limited to only certain types of pad compound? Or an anachronism of some sort?

The intention of drilling and slotting is to clean the surface of the brake pad. I don't know how effective it is at that though, or if there is or ever was a need for it. Drilling also reduces the mass of the brake disc, which is good if you have mass to spare, but if you don't have enough mass to soak up the heat, the temperature of the disc will get too high and you lose performance and/or damage the disc.

http://books.google.com/books?id=S0...lotting&f=false

Zool fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jan 19, 2013

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
Always enjoy these vids, the only kind of stunting I find that isn't sleep inducing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWd5_02Km_M

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES

What's going on with the back wheel there, does it only have one spoke or is there something more complex going on?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Reverse GIS shows it has a fairly normal rear wheel, just hard to see the spokes because of the chrome and the angle

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

Wootcannon posted:

What's going on with the back wheel there, does it only have one spoke or is there something more complex going on?

The other spokes are obscured.

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷

The salvage titled 675 I bought came with OEM bodywork. I got around to bolting it back together.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Daytonas are nice.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

'BUSA BEATZZZZZZZ

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

I'm so glad these came to the US, too bad only in red though. I'm totally buying one in a couple years when I get tired of my current bike.

Does anyone have a link to the "gonna be a star on my GSXR" youtube/song? I tried finding it but can't.

edit: after looking it seems like the only color difference is on the tank, and I guess a few hundred dollars to get a really nice powder coat to black isn't a big deal.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Jan 20, 2013

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

hayden. posted:

Does anyone have a link to the "gonna be a star on my GSXR" youtube/song? I tried finding it but can't.

Wasn't that in the pastrana video where streetbike tommy launches the sportsbike over the foam pit?

edit: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzCt_lfRLrE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzCt_lfRLrE

echomadman fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Jan 20, 2013

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Yep that's the one, thanks!

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Who remembers this from a couple years ago?

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

hayden. posted:

Who remembers this from a couple years ago?

The beauty of stupid people making your point for you while trying to argue.

Ringo R
Dec 25, 2005

ช่วยแม่เฮ็ดนาแหน่เดัอ

HNasty posted:

Always enjoy these vids, the only kind of stunting I find that isn't sleep inducing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DWd5_02Km_M

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKJRIiXV4Tw

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

hayden. posted:

Yep that's the one, thanks!

Honestly, I don't get this. What is it meant to be, styling-wise? It has chrome fenders and bits here and there, but then cast alloy rearsets like a hornet or monster, a retro style tank+seat+controls but modern-looking plastic shrouding covering the final drive and EFI. Looks like a random mashup of things honda think are heritage or something, combined with a massive dollop of honda's true heritage, which is 'hey guys lets be sensible here'.

I say this as a multiple honda owner and fan.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
To me it's just meant to be a classy looking naked standard throwback and it does that beautifully. Except for the undertail piece of course.

When I changed that I'd unchrome the front too maybe, but it's not that weird.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Jan 20, 2013

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It reminds me a lot of some of the '80s DOHC 750s, like a modernized version of this:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

What's interesting about that 750 is that it's actually trying to be modern, whereas the modern cb1100 is trying to be a type of retro style that never existed. If they just made an entirely MODERN looking bike with classic features it would look far better. So no chrome, black bars and clamps and frame, wheels that aren't a poor approximation of the classic five spokes and so on. I don't hate it, it just leaves me cold.

As a contrast, this is the same idea done correctly.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Old dude chiming in to say that taking the fairings off a sportbike but leaving the chest-high tank and clip-ons does not make a "standard". Compare the ZRX ergos to the 1100 (or the 750F that Sagebrush posted). Not even close. A "standard" shouldn't require tank protectors and an athletic cup. </new bike rant>

I thought the fake Comstars were rather clever. v:shobon:v

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

What's interesting about that 750 is that it's actually trying to be modern, whereas the modern cb1100 is trying to be a type of retro style that never existed. If they just made an entirely MODERN looking bike with classic features it would look far better. So no chrome, black bars and clamps and frame, wheels that aren't a poor approximation of the classic five spokes and so on. I don't hate it, it just leaves me cold.

As a contrast, this is the same idea done correctly.

I dunno, if I didn't know better when I saw it on the street I'd just assume it was a particularly clean 80s CB with some stuff bolted on. I agree Kawasaki (and Suzuki) did it a lot better though.

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
Along a similar vein to the other wheelie videos that have been getting posted.... is there anyone else out there that gives less fucks then the B'More Xtreme guys? Their videos are always loving ridiculous, not only do they not seem to care about the cops, they don't seem to care about dying either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNnrCKi4-js

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

Along a similar vein to the other wheelie videos that have been getting posted.... is there anyone else out there that gives less fucks then the B'More Xtreme guys? Their videos are always loving ridiculous, not only do they not seem to care about the cops, they don't seem to care about dying either.

Ya know, I'm kind of disappointed. I was in Baltimore recently, and I didn't see one wheelie (I did see a dude who went over the median on the interstate in his Icon Field Armor, but I didn't see it happen. Just saw him getting harangued by his girlfriend after the fact).

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Some pics of the CB1100 I took at the NY motorcycle show

The rearset/passenger peg doesn't look good on the left side. On the right side it more passably acts to hold the muffler. The pegs are the most inconguous part of the design, followed by the odd not-carbs panel that's black, which doesn't match the silver of the side panel that doesn't match the painted tank. I think it looks better with the (not pictured) Japanese aftermarket 4-into-4 pipes anyway.

I really liked this bike, the ergos felt great, it felt compact in a good way, was very light and easy to move side by side (of course, no fluids or battery) and looked great. I wonder how much oomph it has and I think it's a very hard sell for the list price.

Kawasaki and Honda were going for different things. Kawi tried to take a modern sportbike and make a few compromises for throwback looks, with the Zephyr, Z-rex and at least first-gen Z1000 as points on that spectrum. The ZRX is a very high-performance motorcycle and with suspension work is a heavy but very capable street/track bike. Of course, it's water cooled, which helps.

The Honda seems to be coming the other way, taking a classic bike and adding required modern features (wheels and brakes, FI) more like a Triumph Bonneville. It's supposed to have I think 20 HP more than the Bonnie, but the Bonnie feels like a throwback to a much older bike - Honda claims they were going for a 1970ish CB look but the major features look far more early '80s. It's also some 50HP down from the old ZRX.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Snowdens Secret posted:

The Honda seems to be coming the other way, taking a classic bike and adding required modern features (wheels and brakes, FI) more like a Triumph Bonneville. It's supposed to have I think 20 HP more than the Bonnie, but the Bonnie feels like a throwback to a much older bike - Honda claims they were going for a 1970ish CB look but the major features look far more early '80s. It's also some 50HP down from the old ZRX.

That's why I want it actually. I like the looks, but more importantly, I want modern brakes and FI. I basically want a teched up version of my CB750.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
A lot of people want a teched up CB750. The question is will they pay ten grand for one.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

Snowdens Secret posted:

A lot of people want a teched up CB750. The question is will they pay ten grand for one.

I'll pay 6 grand for used one in a few years. If I was maybe a decade older and made as much money as I expect I will in a decade, I'd totally go buy a new one.

nsaP posted:

To me it's just meant to be a classy looking naked standard throwback and it does that beautifully. Except for the undertail piece of course.

Slavvy posted:

Honestly, I don't get this. What is it meant to be, styling-wise? It has chrome fenders and bits here and there, but then cast alloy rearsets like a hornet or monster, a retro style tank+seat+controls but modern-looking plastic shrouding covering the final drive and EFI. Looks like a random mashup of things honda think are heritage or something, combined with a massive dollop of honda's true heritage, which is 'hey guys lets be sensible here'.

I say this as a multiple honda owner and fan.

The undertail is pretty much identical (though you probably just mean it isn't beautiful). Styling wise, Slavvy, I think it fits the old 750 really well aside from the rearsets. They added some black to the engine because an all-chrome/silver one is kind of tacky these days. With a large amount of owners taking off the OEM exhaust, it didn't make sense to put the passenger pegs on them, hence the wacky rearsets. Plastic shroud over final drive replaces a metal looking one, probably to save costs. I bet there will be metal aftermarket ones. The old CBs usually had a plastic covering over the oil reservoir so I don't think it looks too out of place on top of the EFI junk. The frame design looks pretty different so I'm not sure what other option they could have gone with.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jan 20, 2013

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

The Purple Helmets give less fucks and have a much less stupid loving name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJyzxHGM2YE

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

The Purple Helmets give less fucks and have a much less stupid loving name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJyzxHGM2YE

I think I figured out what Kawasakis are good for.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Here's some motogp slip'n'slides crashes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89v6Wj82lQ

How do you recover from one of those twitches that causes a bike to highside? For example, at 0:35 and 0:59.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

M42 posted:

How do you recover from one of those twitches that causes a bike to highside? For example, at 0:35 and 0:59.

You walk back to the bike and hope it still starts.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeaaah a "twitch" like that is more of an "unrecoverable, massive upset to dynamic balance". Notice how there's like a tenth of a second between "riding along fine" and "eight feet in the air?" If you find yourself in that situation you're probably going to go for a ride regardless of what you do. Luckily, that kind of thing barely ever happens outside of a racetrack.

The closest you're likely to get to that on the road is a front-end wobble that turns into a tankslapper. To solve that, if you feel the front end acting funny and starting to wobble back and forth, you need to keep the bike steady and smoothly close the throttle. Don't attempt to force the bars and don't use the brakes until the front has stabilized.

e: or, you know, the classic traction-lost-then-regained highside. There's not a whole lot you can do to recover when it's already started, so the important thing is preventing it in the first place. Keep calm and throttle on.

e2: holy poo poo check out that repsol crashing at about 1:30 :stare:

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Jan 20, 2013

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

M42 posted:

Most of the time, they don't get that far out of line, that quickly. But the GP guys are at the absolute/over the absolute limit regularly, on incredibly powerful bikes, that are only tamed by extensive electronics and very careful tuning. The tires are also insanely sticky, so when they hook back up, they hook back up hard. Highsides like that require lots of grip and getting it sideways at a high level of lean, because at less extreme levels of lean it tends to snap back in line but not hard enough to launch you into orbit.

But if you do stupid things (like hammer it up an onramp on race tires in the cold and rain) you can definitely highside a bike on the street. An ounce of prevention in this case is really what saves you from crazy highsides.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

Kawasaki and Honda were going for different things. Kawi tried to take a modern sportbike and make a few compromises for throwback looks, with the Zephyr, Z-rex and at least first-gen Z1000 as points on that spectrum. The ZRX is a very high-performance motorcycle and with suspension work is a heavy but very capable street/track bike. Of course, it's water cooled, which helps.

Is this really true? Because I've had a hard-on for a zrx1200 for ages and they're cheap in my area but the reportedly crap handling and carbs have always put me off.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Thanks for the responses about highsides! I figured that the motogp clip isn't how it really happens on the street. I've seen people recover from not-as-violent ones. Like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNcZyDSM6GI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Is this really true? Because I've had a hard-on for a zrx1200 for ages and they're cheap in my area but the reportedly crap handling and carbs have always put me off.

Theyre heavy but can hustle under the right rider. The weight means you better have appropriate springs and setup, but they will definitely handle.