Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

M42 posted:

Here's some motogp slip'n'slides crashes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N89v6Wj82lQ
I like the guy who lowsides at 1:50, gets back on his feet and starts running towards the bike. Then the bike starts smoking and he has a very quick change of heart and runs the other way instead.

It's also interesting to see how most of them curl up in a semi fetal position with fists closed. I assume it's to protect their fingers and reduce the risk of bending arms or legs the wrong direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

M42 posted:

Thanks for the responses about highsides! I figured that the motogp clip isn't how it really happens on the street. I've seen people recover from not-as-violent ones. Like here:
I think a lot of those are just luck. But also, that's a hairpin turn, and it's actually quite slow speed compared to all the GP stuff in the earlier video. Easier to recover when you're not sliding out at 70.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Does anyone have the link to that video of a bunch of dudes dicking around on a track? The title was in Spanish, and it included things like 2-6 guys on one bike, drifting, hopping curbs around turns, and skitching on a bicycle. Also in the video was them running their heads through walls while wearing helmets.

I had it in my Youtube favorites, but I think it may have been deleted.

AncientTV fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jan 21, 2013

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

M42 posted:

Thanks for the responses about highsides! I figured that the motogp clip isn't how it really happens on the street. I've seen people recover from not-as-violent ones. Like here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNcZyDSM6GI

I wonder how many of those are people cutting the throttle in a bit of a panic? I've always been taught to keep the power steady when the back starts sliding, and so far it's worked for me on both the wet street and on the race track on a number of bikes.

The idea being the bike will come back into line as it scrubs off speed, and usually very smoothly. Cutting the throttle changes both the attitude of the bike and the torque going to the wheel, so it causes the tyre to grab as the wheel speed comes down quicker than it would have otherwise.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Yeaaah a "twitch" like that is more of an "unrecoverable, massive upset to dynamic balance". Notice how there's like a tenth of a second between "riding along fine" and "eight feet in the air?" If you find yourself in that situation you're probably going to go for a ride regardless of what you do. Luckily, that kind of thing barely ever happens outside of a racetrack.

The closest you're likely to get to that on the road is a front-end wobble that turns into a tankslapper. To solve that, if you feel the front end acting funny and starting to wobble back and forth, you need to keep the bike steady and smoothly close the throttle. Don't attempt to force the bars and don't use the brakes until the front has stabilized.

e: or, you know, the classic traction-lost-then-regained highside. There's not a whole lot you can do to recover when it's already started, so the important thing is preventing it in the first place. Keep calm and throttle on.

e2: holy poo poo check out that repsol crashing at about 1:30 :stare:

I've been in a tankslapper situation before where failure meant I went face first into an oncoming box truck, and if I recall correctly I did exactly what you suggest here, I eased off the throttle extremely slowly and tried to stand the bike up as much as I could without losing my line. I actually failed in that, crossing the center line, but at least I missed the truck and the rest of the oncoming traffic without coming off. it was different from the usual loss of rear traction, I felt like going as I was I was definitely going to crash. Dunno how to explain it, it was an ongoing thing through the turn, rather than a sudden loss of traction.

When hitting a damp patch or gravel or something and just having the back step out for a second though, a steady wrist and confidence in the bike to right itself usually pays off.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I had a real slapper the first time I was on a bike after taking my test and getting my A (motorcycle, unrestricted) license. I looked at a Honda VF750C (Magna V45 in the US, I believe), and as I test rode it I got scared out of my skin. Going through a short tunnel, I got on the throttle pretty hard just as I passed a section of the road that was very uneven, kinda like a washboard. BAM, completely out of nowhere the bars started slapping from lock to lock basically, and my immediate reaction was to close the throttle. That didn't help much, but luckily I was going slow enough that I actually didn't hit the tunnel wall before it stopped.

Now, a couple years later, I can feel like it was just the perfect storm. lovely old tires, lovely old suspension, being very light on the bars while at the same time accelerating through a gentle curve just as the road surface got bad.

I didn't buy the bike, anyway.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY
The Magnas & Sabres love to break the fork brace which makes for interesting handling if you upset the suspension at all. Should have picked it up if it was cheap, they are fun bikes.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

M42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tNcZyDSM6GI

I love that all the sportbikes get like 3 inches out of line, but the supermotos get about 3 feet out before they correct it.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

obso posted:

The Magnas & Sabres love to break the fork brace which makes for interesting handling if you upset the suspension at all. Should have picked it up if it was cheap, they are fun bikes.

This. Along with just about every 80's era standard. It really took some time to figure out proper fork rake, tube diameter, and suspension in general. This is prior to cartridges and progressive springs. Makes for a small nightmare handling wise, but is easily made livable with prog springs or emulators.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
If any of you ever thought about making custom gauges (I have), this might be of interest:
Analog Gauge Stepper Breakout Board

quote:

This is a breakout board designed for creating analog gauges using a stepper motor.

In a world of digital displays - LEDs, LCDs, OLEDs, etc., it’s still helpful to be able to view information on analog gauges.

This board uses a Switec X27.168 stepper motor to drive the needle. The Switec is the same motor used in many automotive dashboards. The Switec motor only draws 20ma per coil. This means it can be directly wired to many microcontrollers, including 5 volt Arduino boards, AVR and PIC micros.

The breakout board adds diodes to protect microcontroller pins from inductive kickback. All signals are broken out to a 6 pin header for easy interfacing.
[...]

Think I'm going to order one when pay day comes.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Hmmm. Raspberry Pi control unit. Putting a Linux on my UJM would be a fun thing.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

ReelBigLizard posted:

Think I'm going to order one when pay day comes.
That's awesome. I would order a few, but the site only accepts paypal :(

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's neat and I want one, but I have absolutely no idea what to use it for.

HNasty
Jul 17, 2005

Video games are for children. Dr. Who, Sherlock and Community need to be canceled. Firefly sucked.

Everything you like is bad, everything I like is good and cool. I've had sex. I've stuck my big rod into a babe and it was good. There's proof I've had sex, where's yours ?
You guys remember a while back there was a video of a dude riding his FJR off a dock and into a boat, well the Motojournal guys have done a remix of that vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DYSPYbqW3A

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

The original was filming for Motojournal as well. They made that video to explain what really happened.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

from some other thread

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Reminds me a recent episode of Burn Notice had some supermoto hoonery through a hospital.

Hirethor
Dec 16, 2008

You think you know hip?
YOU DON'T KNOW SHIT ABOUT BEING HIP!

AncientTV posted:

Does anyone have the link to that video of a bunch of dudes dicking around on a track? The title was in Spanish, and it included things like 2-6 guys on one bike, drifting, hopping curbs around turns, and skitching on a bicycle. Also in the video was them running their heads through walls while wearing helmets.

I had it in my Youtube favorites, but I think it may have been deleted.

I scanned my favorites list a couple times, it looks like it's deleted from YouTube :(

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
Spotted this at my local Kawasaki dealer a while (like, two years) back but completely forgot to post the photo until now. I think the frame and engine are from a Suzuki GS500, but no idea about the rest.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Shouting Melon posted:

Spotted this at my local Kawasaki dealer a while (like, two years) back but completely forgot to post the photo until now. I think the frame and engine are from a Suzuki GS500, but no idea about the rest.

Nope, no GS500 in that, that's your fairly standard old GSXR1100 or 750 oil boiler streetfighter.

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Nope, no GS500 in that, that's your fairly standard old GSXR1100 or 750 oil boiler streetfighter.

Oh, huh. Hm. Here's a photo of a really nice tricolour RC30 instead:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PAFtLtOX7k

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
With the right technique, you can wheelie anything I suppose.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=370dysfrFAg

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

2ndclasscitizen posted:

It's a normal bike to convert, but look how clean and nice it is. The Star Wars sand raiders headlight is the exception, but which only proves the point.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

What was that, a speed bump?

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Ola posted:

It's a normal bike to convert, but look how clean and nice it is. The Star Wars sand raiders headlight is the exception, but which only proves the point.

This is unacceptable! Tusken raiders, or sand people. Not sand raiders. :pseudo:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

How common are these in the US, by the way?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
We prefer our trikes to mimic our pickups :crossarms:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Shimrod posted:

What was that, a speed bump?

Yeah.

Also:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Collateral Damage posted:

Not nearly common enough. I'd drive it

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Way cooler than a can-am

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I want to see that on Mullholland or The Dragon.

e: loaded down with melons.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Love the horn on the handlebars :3:

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Stunting has never been easier (or with less effort, anyway).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTMEZRjDV7Y

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Safety Dance posted:

I want to see that on Mullholland or The Dragon.

e: loaded down with melons.

Comedy option of being ridden from the cargo compartment with a single melon strapped to the seat.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Requesting that video of the guy wearing a helmet upside down and a cape. I think it was Scandanavian or something. It does a bunch of stunts on a small displacement bike and it ends with him falling when he goes over a hill. Also there's an explosion and a chick in a bikini that (jokingly) checks to see if he's alive.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Found it in my bookmarks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYAFvigSWJY

Also, this classic was sitting there too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbbg3G9B9sY

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

The "training" video always leaves me with questions I know will never be answered.

Of course, it's a beemer. Also, why does celebrities that ride always use a 3/4 helmet and non-existant protective gear? You'd think it might be convenient to use a full face helmet so you could, you know, ride without everyone recognising you?

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Sagebrush posted:

Found it in my bookmarks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYAFvigSWJY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbbg3G9B9sY

Yes, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Nidhg00670000 posted:

The "training" video always leaves me with questions I know will never be answered.

Of course, it's a beemer. Also, why does celebrities that ride always use a 3/4 helmet and non-existant protective gear? You'd think it might be convenient to use a full face helmet so you could, you know, ride without everyone recognising you?

Uhwhaaaaaaaaa? I think you're missing the point of being as super rad awesome biker celebrity.