Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I've run into an issue that someone in this thread is bound to know a direct answer to. My Super Famicom just will not display certain games correctly. In particular, later Konami games seem to be a real problem but I'm also seeing it with Donkey Kong Country 3. I've polished contacts a lot both on the carts and in the system but the graphics remain broken. The real problem for me is that the image is garbled in a consistent way. Also, some screens in the games display correctly. For Goemon 3, for example, the intro and menu graphics are garbled but the in game images seem to be okay (from the little bit I've checked).

It's almost as if one of the graphics modes isn't outputting correctly but I'm not sure if that's the case or if there's anything that can be done if it is...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Whelp hopefully this is the last time I have to move this stuff arou-AHAHAHA nope I'm OCD:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I know we had the gamecube discussion a few pages back, here's my GC games, for when We Go Play 'Cube:

I know you can't see it next to Wave Race, but that's Animal Crossing. I also have a good ammount of those Preview/Bonus Discs. Even the Deluxe Edition Baton Kaitos one that was a Soundtrack. Twilight Princess and Pikmin 2 I have, but those are on the Wii.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

Miyamotos RGB NES posted:

Would love to answer that for you but the dude literally does not respond to my multiple requests to give him money.

Hmm weird.

If that's a dead end for you guys, I may just just get a couple of kits to install, but there'd be like a month wait time.

On a side note, I working on making a couple of Mother 3 gba repros. They'll probably be without a label though, because I have a terrible printer, and I have no idea what type of paper to use anyway. I'll likely have something to show by the end of the week, maybe next week.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

HKR posted:

cable spaghetti hell

:stonk: Good lord man. PM me your address and let me mail you some cable organizer things. I have them extra, so I don't need them, and clearly you do

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

HKR posted:

Whelp hopefully this is the last time I have to move this stuff arou-AHAHAHA nope I'm OCD:

Yeah the back of my TV looks like this (probably a bit worse) and it didn't matter how hard I tried to run the cable up certain spots and stuff, it's an octopus of cables back there. There's...no chance of that being a fire hazard, is there? :ohdear:

Except for the original XBox, of course, though I got the replacement power cord Microsoft sent out to people for free (all it had was a ferrite thing on it; can't believed it solved that issue).

Random Stranger posted:

I've run into an issue that someone in this thread is bound to know a direct answer to. My Super Famicom just will not display certain games correctly. In particular, later Konami games seem to be a real problem but I'm also seeing it with Donkey Kong Country 3. I've polished contacts a lot both on the carts and in the system but the graphics remain broken. The real problem for me is that the image is garbled in a consistent way. Also, some screens in the games display correctly. For Goemon 3, for example, the intro and menu graphics are garbled but the in game images seem to be okay (from the little bit I've checked).

It's almost as if one of the graphics modes isn't outputting correctly but I'm not sure if that's the case or if there's anything that can be done if it is...

That's really weird. Do you have Secret of Mana? If so, tell us what text looks like in that game; especially the text when you bring up the stats menu. Any way you can take a pic with your cell phone?

Also, I stumbled across something today you guys might be really interested in, though I doubt it.

I've always noticed a weird issue with many handheld systems, but especially Nintendo's. What I notice is when moving the system slightly while playing it, these horizontal "lines" appear faintly on the screen. It's really hard to describe, but my launch Japanese GBA didn't have it, yet every GBA and DS system (except the 3DS) has this issue (the Micro did not have the issue as well). Anyway, I figured I was nuts, but I was able to find someone posting about it back in 2002, and he noticed the same thing. This is apparently what causes it:

"Yes,
I see these too.
This is the affect called multiplexing. This is how the image is displayed on the screen. You LCD watch works the same way. It's hard to explain. "

Now I remembered back to when the GBA first came out, and everyone freaked over how impossible it was to see anything on. There was this "hack" where you'd adjust the pointometer that's behind the GBA label, and you can brighten the screen by turning it. It actually did work, except now my Japanese GBA now had those drat faint lines.

Anyway I was messing around with my DSiXL today

yes that's right I have the rare white DSiXL and a blue one why what up

and the lines were driving me nuts. Again, most people don't notice them, but on a flat colored background if barely move the system I see them flickering all over; again I see this on all my GBA SP systems, my original GBA, and both my DSiXL systems, but I managed to fix it!

Behind the battery cover is this:

See those two things, one on top of the other, that kind of look like screws? Carefully and slowly adjust them with a tiny flathead screwdriver, and gently shake your system as you carefully do this. By the way, the top one is for the top screen, and the bottom is for the bottom screen; though my bottom screen didn't have the issue so I didn't need to adjust those. Anyway, while turning these, the picture will get darker and brighter. Get it at the perfect location, and bye bye to multiplexing, or as I like to call it, flickering-interlacing. I managed to get all my handhelds' screens to be flawless.

It's in a different spot (the pointometer, that is) on every system, but they are there. I can't be the only one that noticed this; but I know I'm not nuts because now it's gone, proving it actually was there in the first place :spergin:

I believe this setting just adjusts the voltage going to the screens, though I am not sure why Nintendo never seems to have them adjusted perfectly; though I suppose my launch Japanese-made GBA was just luck. It really has to be within a fraction of a hair to be in the perfect spot for it to go away. Enjoy!

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

PopeCrunch posted:

:stonk: Good lord man. PM me your address and let me mail you some cable organizer things. I have them extra, so I don't need them, and clearly you do

Retrogames: We Burn Down Houses With Piles Of Money

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PopeCrunch posted:

:lol: what? He's got nothing on me son:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

:lol: what? He's got nothing on me son:

Just think eons from now, those mass of cables will have trapped numerious things that became entangled in them and become major archeological finds.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

PopeCrunch posted:

I don't know of any cable organizer that can handle 10 consoles with fixed length AV cords.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

I believe this setting just adjusts the voltage going to the screens, though I am not sure why Nintendo never seems to have them adjusted perfectly; though I suppose my launch Japanese-made GBA was just luck. It really has to be within a fraction of a hair to be in the perfect spot for it to go away. Enjoy!

Dude, those adjusters are on the back of every SNES console too (source of the middle white line problem).

Didn't you know?

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

HKR posted:

I don't know of any cable organizer that can handle 10 consoles with fixed length AV cords.

Yeah I've tried those things before and they just never work if you have alot of stuff.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WendigoJohnson posted:

Just think eons from now, those mass of cables will have trapped numerious things that became entangled with them and become major archeological finds.

If my cats ever go missing it's the first place I'm going to look.

Sad thing is I tried my best to make it neat. No, I'm not kidding. I tried to run most things in the back center of the furniture piece they are on (you can kind of see I mounted a power strip there) but that got to be so big and thick that the velcro wouldn't hold it any longer. Plus, any time I had to move something, it was a nightmare.

Not to mention I have these consoles all hooked up at once:

Dreamcast
SNES
SNES (PAL)
Xbox 1
Xbox 360
PSone
PS2
PS3
Wii
WiiU
N64
Gamecube
Saturn
Genesis
Sega CD
32x
AV Famicom
Famicom Disk System
NES

All ready to be played whenever; all plugged in at once, and I don't know how the hell I'd get that looking neat.

Kind of odd how OCD works. Multiplexing/interlacing in a handheld screen or god forbid a dead pixel will drive you insane; but a ball of wires doesn't bother you much. And don't get me started on a spec of dust that managed to somehow get under my DSi LL screen. :argh:

The Joe Man posted:

Dude, those adjusters are on the back of every SNES console too (source of the middle white line problem).

Didn't you know?

I know you're messing with me but there are in fact pointometers (well, one at least) inside of the SNES. No clue what it does, though.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

I can't match Miyamoto's deathtrap, but this is just how we roll, son :getin:

:retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

The one I use is basically a plastic spiral that you wrap around your cords, so instead of Spaghetti Junction you just have a fat black thing running behind your television. From personal experience, these work GREAT as long as you are 100% certain things are where they are going to stay, because unwrapping the whole works to move one console is a pain in the dick.

edit to add: Hamburglar, your post in my sa-mart thread made almost everything fly out the door immediately, so I am sending you SURPRISES in a seperate package

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

PopeCrunch posted:

The one I use is basically a plastic spiral that you wrap around your cords, so instead of Spaghetti Junction you just have a fat black thing running behind your television. From personal experience, these work GREAT as long as you are 100% certain things are where they are going to stay, because unwrapping the whole works to move one console is a pain in the dick.

edit to add: Hamburglar, your post in my sa-mart thread made almost everything fly out the door immediately, so I am sending you SURPRISES in a seperate package

I feel bad; the other stuff you sold me was so awesome and you threw in a ton of freebies. If you are gonna send me more stuff, at least charge me for them :)

Seriously thank you though; if you were selling old running shoes that don't even fit me at this point I'd buy them from you just out of principle.

codenameFANGIO posted:

I can't match Miyamoto's deathtrap, but this is just how we roll, son :getin:

:retrogames: :retrogames: :retrogames:

Co...composite video?? :gonk:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Remember in the 90's that composite video was a luxery and most people used RF Adapters. For true period retro gaming you should not use S-Video.

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I feel bad; the other stuff you sold me was so awesome and you threw in a ton of freebies. If you are gonna send me more stuff, at least charge me for them :)

Seriously thank you though; if you were selling old running shoes that don't even fit me at this point I'd buy them from you just out of principle.

Well hell if you feel like kicking me some ducats once the SURPRISE BOX arrives I ain't gonna stop you, but it's intended as a gift :)

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

WendigoJohnson posted:

Remember in the 90's that composite video was a luxery and most people used RF Adapters. For true period retro gaming you should not use S-Video.

My uncle actually had a TV in like 1988 that had s-video; no lie. He had loot and we didn't but he still has the TV in his house (his son uses it) and I almost poo poo a brick when I saw it had s-video. We were playing SMB2 the day it came out on that TV.

But yeah RF is fine when you never got to see the alternative. Now I can never go back.

PopeCrunch posted:

Well hell if you feel like kicking me some ducats once the SURPRISE BOX arrives I ain't gonna stop you, but it's intended as a gift :)

Well then...the better the surprises, the better the bonus bux ;)

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

No S-video connection, saving up for a VGA connection for the Dreamcast, then saving up for the GameCube component cable after that. My retro games habit is more of a slow burn, out of necessity :unsmith:

I was testing my Resident Evil stuff the other day, and it was morally wrong to me that Resident Evil 3 on Dreamcast looked significantly worse than Dead Aim on PS2 through component.

fatpat268
Jan 6, 2011

See those two things, one on top of the other, that kind of look like screws? Carefully and slowly adjust them with a tiny flathead screwdriver, and gently shake your system as you carefully do this. By the way, the top one is for the top screen, and the bottom is for the bottom screen; though my bottom screen didn't have the issue so I didn't need to adjust those. Anyway, while turning these, the picture will get darker and brighter. Get it at the perfect location, and bye bye to multiplexing, or as I like to call it, flickering-interlacing. I managed to get all my handhelds' screens to be flawless.

It's in a different spot (the pointometer, that is) on every system, but they are there. I can't be the only one that noticed this; but I know I'm not nuts because now it's gone, proving it actually was there in the first place :spergin:

Yea, I had to do this with my GBA with the GBA SP screen. When I first installed it, it looked pretty weird, but I lived with it for a while, until I found out about that potentiometer. Before adjusting it, it looked almost as if there were scanlines on the screen. There weren't, but it's hard to explain. It was also more readily seen if you moved your head around.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

fatpat268 posted:

Yea, I had to do this with my GBA with the GBA SP screen. When I first installed it, it looked pretty weird, but I lived with it for a while, until I found out about that potentiometer. Before adjusting it, it looked almost as if there were scanlines on the screen. There weren't, but it's hard to explain. It was also more readily seen if you moved your head around.

Yep, this is exactly what I am talking about. Looks like scanlines/interlacing. The only difference is that instead of black scanlines it's lighter colored scanlines. And yeah moving your head or the system itself showed them off. Really weird, but so cool to know there's a fix for it. Really made my DSiXL way more enjoyable.

Also just noticed I do not see it on the GBA SP with the backlight but I think that's just dumb luck.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

That's really weird. Do you have Secret of Mana? If so, tell us what text looks like in that game; especially the text when you bring up the stats menu. Any way you can take a pic with your cell phone?

I don't have Secret of Mana or that would be one of the first things I would try since it's the best known hires mode game.

However, I can do better than cell phone pictures. Here's some examples from Goemon (chosen mainly because it's close and the contacts have been polished until they nearly blinded me).

So here's what it looks like when the Konami logo is animating. The blue spots seem to be the wipe of the beam:

And at the end here's the final Konami logo:

After that it goes to this screen that looks okay:

Until text is displayed:

Here's the title screen, which flickers with a few background colors:

And the save file selection:

Starting the game things are back to normal:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Random Stranger posted:

I don't have Secret of Mana or that would be one of the first things I would try since it's the best known hires mode game.

However, I can do better than cell phone pictures. Here's some examples from Goemon (chosen mainly because it's close and the contacts have been polished until they nearly blinded me).

So here's what it looks like when the Konami logo is animating. The blue spots seem to be the wipe of the beam:

And at the end here's the final Konami logo:

After that it goes to this screen that looks okay:

Until text is displayed:

Here's the title screen, which flickers with a few background colors:

And the save file selection:

Starting the game things are back to normal:

I had this happen once when I was soldering inside my SNES, and a tiny ball of solder rolled its way over to some other chip; I don't recall which one. It was bridging two pins. You hadn't gone in there and soldered, have you?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I had this happen once when I was soldering inside my SNES, and a tiny ball of solder rolled its way over to some other chip; I don't recall which one. It was bridging two pins. You hadn't gone in there and soldered, have you?

I have not but I can easily pull off the shielding and see if something funky is happening. I did blow out the inside with compressed air just in case there was something like that happening but I didn't do anything more than pull the cover off for that.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Random Stranger posted:

I have not but I can easily pull off the shielding and see if something funky is happening. I did blow out the inside with compressed air just in case there was something like that happening but I didn't do anything more than pull the cover off for that.

Definitely give that a shot. It wasn't even actual solder bridging on mine; a tiny ball of it just managed to roll its way over there. I just flicked it out of that spot and it fixed the issue.

Also, I remove all of that shielding crap. But that's just me.

scrub lover
Apr 22, 2005
Oh, are we posting our shameful fire-hazard wire hoards?

This is only a portion of the whole mess (the unholy trinity of Sega GEN/32X/CD adapters isn't even pictured). I simply can't fit it all in one shot and if I put my face near that poo poo I start coughing. The vacuum knows better than to set foot around these parts. Retro life.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Uncle Jenkins posted:

Oh, are we posting our shameful fire-hazard wire hoards?

This is only a portion of the whole mess (the unholy trinity of Sega GEN/32X/CD adapters isn't even pictured). I simply can't fit it all in one shot and if I put my face near that poo poo I start coughing. The vacuum knows better than to set foot around these parts. Retro life.

If, at some point, you get sick of having three monstrosities to power your Genesis/32X/CD . . . thing, you could get one of these. I've got the older, shorter-cord version and it works great, though I also use a power squid so I don't have to worry about gigantic power bricks blocking other outlets.

That said, all you people posting your setups are really making me wish I had room for fancy poo poo like "shelving". I really need to get around to getting something bigger than a studio apartment one of these years. :sigh:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Kreeblah posted:

That said, all you people posting your setups are really making me wish I had room for fancy poo poo like "shelving". I really need to get around to getting something bigger than a studio apartment one of these years. :sigh:

For Studio Aparments the best game storage is something like a Captain's Bed. If you don't want to get a new frame, alot of stores sell foldable fabric/cloth drawers that accomplish the same task.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
Oh, are we comparing unsightly wire deathtraps?

Welcome to my retro hovel. Nothing on some of you guys (jesus christ) but still a fun little mess.

absolutely anything fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 21, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I picked up some used PS2 games on the cheap.

P3 was SUPPOSED to be vanilla, but EB Games sent me FES. I already have FES (and P3P). What am I going to do with two copies of FES. How inconsiderate. So yeah, gonna have to talk to them about that. Could be.. interesting.

e: Also yeah I'm going to have to get some inserts made for Squadron Leader and Forbidden Siren 2.

kirbysuperstar fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Jan 21, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Rewired my stupid eeprom burner for the fourth time but I guess that's the charm! Got SD3 & Awful Fantasy repros working now :toot:

And in the "because I can and I want to while I wait for sd2snes" I made myself an earthbound cartridge :colbert:

gently caress you, dad.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Did you apply both the translation and 3-player hacks to SD3?

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

WendigoJohnson posted:

For Studio Aparments the best game storage is something like a Captain's Bed. If you don't want to get a new frame, alot of stores sell foldable fabric/cloth drawers that accomplish the same task.

Sure, but it'd be nice to not have to dig out a system and hook it up when I want to play it. I just need more space in general.

Cicero posted:

There's a three-player hack? :aaaaa:

Edit: How did I never notice that in the readme. :doh:

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jan 21, 2013

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Cicero posted:

According to the patch text it should have the 3 player hack included

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

DisposableHero posted:

I enjoy checking out other's retro game setups as it's usually such a challenge to keep it all looking even vaguely tidy. Thought I'd share mine as well.

I'm fortunate enough to have a whole room to spare just for my retro games (and other nerd stuff) but even so it's crammed full. Not pictured below are another couple book cases filled with the cases for the current gen games.

You either ARE The Daily Robot or you like his work A LOT. If you ARE him, hello fancy seeing you here, but if not I hope you shared this photo with him! Because I will if you didn't, haha.

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

absolutely anything posted:

Oh, are we comparing unsightly wire deathtraps?

:hfive: Budget ugly plastic gaming shelf buddy.

That said, that picture also reminds me, what's a good source for retro gaming posters like that? Would I have to scour E-bay and try to dodge too much gouging or getting trashed ones, or is there a better place? Or a place that does decent repros?

flyboi posted:

Rewired my stupid eeprom burner for the fourth time but I guess that's the charm! Got SD3 & Awful Fantasy repros working now :toot:

Awful Fantasy would be kind of neat to own on a cart. It's been forever since I've played, however, so I can't remember if it'd be frustrating without savestates or not.

Tyson Tomko
May 8, 2005

The Problem Solver.

codenameFANGIO posted:

composite switchbox action

Hey! I'd recognize that cheaper than cheap ebay China special switch box anywhere, because I have 2 of them currently! The cables that came with them were absolute crap (they were thinner than a human hair) but using decent quality composite cables they seem to work great with my 13" Trinitron. I'm all about good quality stuff, but with a 13" tv I don't exactly need RGB quality. I may eventually go that route with the stuff plugged into my 42" plasma, but for now it's all good.

Speaking of composite switch boxes, I thought I struck gold recently when I found a FIVE port available. I've seen millions upon millions of 3 or 4 ones but never a 5. I pounced on it for pretty cheap and it should be here today or tomorrow...then I noticed one of the 5 ports was the output grrr. Smooth move ebay guy, smooth move. Still though, with the addition of this super duper high quality switch box I will no longer have to use the front inputs on my Trinitron, meaning I can shut the door to make it sharp looking now.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

Midnight Raider posted:

That said, that picture also reminds me, what's a good source for retro gaming posters like that? Would I have to scour E-bay and try to dodge too much gouging or getting trashed ones, or is there a better place? Or a place that does decent repros?

There's a guy on nintendoage that makes 13" X 19" posters. I ordered 20 of them for $75 shipped. That came out to be $3.75 each. Not sure how much they are in smaller orders.
I think because of shipping one poster would be at least $8, because it's pretty thick card stock. I need to take pictures of mine. I havent decided if I'm framing them or just sticking them on the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
Whomever it was that wanted those :stare: colecovision controllers -

there is a set on craigslist local to my area http://siouxfalls.craigslist.org/vgm/3518726140.html

• Locked thread