Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Captain Backslap posted:

Also, I checked my free range deeds and it includes a trip to Angmar! Don't forget that you aren't just talking to the same guys over again, either. You have to find three stones in each zone as well.

Oh, well crap. That makes it way worse... now to see where the other two are...

EDIT: Oh, you can use Chicken Nests to teleport almost all the way to Rivendell when you're in Free Range. That's WAY easier. Might just give it a go tomorrow.

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 20, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Chicken_Session_Guide#Creature_and_Stone_locations_by_Region This whole guide is pretty good, but here are the details on stone locations.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Captain Backslap posted:

http://lorebook.lotro.com/wiki/Chicken_Session_Guide#Creature_and_Stone_locations_by_Region This whole guide is pretty good, but here are the details on stone locations.

Yeah, that's what I was just looking at. Sucks that that GoogleMap totally doesn't work.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Coming back to this for awhile after years away. I'd like a guild invite for Cuervo, my new Captain at some point.

(edit): got in, thanks!

StarkRavingMad fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 20, 2013

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

gently caress the Narsil/The Tomb of Elendil/The Blade That Was Broken questline in Evendim. gently caress it.

We just spent the last 2+ hours bouncing around hazy quest objectives in Evendim (and with only one of us having boat access, thank gently caress for the acorn whistle-summon ability level 39 guardians get) so we could get to the fellowship instance at the end of it. Frustration, death, and a lot of time wasted loving swimming across the lake, and at the end the three of us (44 guard, 40 RK, 39 guard) couldn't complete the Tomb of Elendil instance. In the end we just gave up because gently caress it.

We checked out the wiki halfway through the quest chain during one of our many swims across the lake and saw that the quest rewards us with absolutely nothing we can use in terms of loot, useless faction points (since you get Kindred with Annuminas anyway like halfway through the zone if you've done it right), and barely any money. In the end the cost of taking boats across the map fifteen times (and still having to do a poo poo-ton of swimming and needless backtracking) was far greater than the rewards of actually finishing the chain of quests.

The quest chain doesn't even start in Evendim, it starts in Rivendell. Who, when starting up questing in the Evendim zone, is going to say, "why yes, I'd love to take a half-hour side trip to Rivendell for this one quest instead of starting a new and exciting zone"? And if you're a f2p player, how are you going to even get to Rivendell? The only other time you go there before this one is when Gandalf teleports you there against your will at an early epic quest, and then teleports you right back. So have fun walking through the Trollshaws and not dying, I guess. Not that it matters much where the chain starts anyway, since the chain also doesn't line up at all with the rest of the quest hubs in the Evendim zone, so in the end you're still forced to bounce across the map for no reason.

And let's not even get started on Turbine making boats VIP-only. When you buy the Evendim zone, you should have total access to that zone. Period. It's bullshit.

In short, for new people: don't do this loving quest.

Drone fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 20, 2013

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE
Back in the day, there wasn't even any boats to access...

Also with Tomb, just get an 85...problem solved.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Holy poo poo, I've done a handful of steps to the Narsil quest because I thought "gently caress yeah Narsil quest!" but now I think I'll just skip it. I've already had to swim a few times over the lake doing other crap. :v:

To Rivendell I got on horse (I got the steam starter pack and the mithril edition so I have stuff), I rode through the Trollshaws just to check out what it looks like.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I was the 44 guard who stood around for an hour or so while they caught up on the quest. It's slightly less painful if you started it off before heading to Evendim, and in fact it was the reason I bought Evendim in the first place, and works as a good framework for the first half of the area.

When it gets out of sync though you're going to be swimming across the lake to talk to someone, then swim right back. Multiple times.

I went to Rivendell early because I could, and it's Rivendell! Why wouldn't you try to go there?

Oh yeah, because there's no quests apart from the Evendim starter and you almost get killed by a badger, but the mining is good.

It was probably a bit ambitious to try a full fellowship instance with 3, none of us particularly overlevelled.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Are there any quests in the Shire that don't involve trekking halfway across the map? :argh:

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

Rarity posted:

Are there any quests in the Shire that don't involve trekking halfway across the map? :argh:

That's been my sole gripe so far about the Shire. It's managed to be up there with WoW's Exodar and Teldrassil for areas I absolutely loathe having to get around in.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Drone posted:

gently caress the Narsil/The Tomb of Elendil/The Blade That Was Broken questline in Evendim. gently caress it.

Hah, I just started that one earlier today (then went to do family poo poo). I'll finish it anyways! ALL QUESTS MUST BE FINISHED!

However, yeah, I can't help but think "welcome to WoW circa 2005" with the quest flow in most of the zones so far. I'm an elf hunter, so I have it way the gently caress easier than the rest of you (I can port to all sorts of places, including Evendim and Rivendell), and I find a lot of areas annoying. I still have tons of North Downs quests (mostly fellowship ones that I'm waiting to gray out honestly, yes I'm that dumb about quests), but I'm to the point where most chains have me just running all over the drat place.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

xZAOx posted:

Hah, I just started that one earlier today (then went to do family poo poo). I'll finish it anyways! ALL QUESTS MUST BE FINISHED!

This is just like me. I'm still doing Shire quests even though I'm finished with the quest deed (Hey, that Mathom rep is important!). Yesterday I broke the Olwir instance by killing the stone troll before getting that part of the quest and now it will never be complete :smithicide:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

xZAOx posted:

However, yeah, I can't help but think "welcome to WoW circa 2005" with the quest flow in most of the zones so far. I'm an elf hunter, so I have it way the gently caress easier than the rest of you (I can port to all sorts of places, including Evendim and Rivendell), and I find a lot of areas annoying. I still have tons of North Downs quests (mostly fellowship ones that I'm waiting to gray out honestly, yes I'm that dumb about quests), but I'm to the point where most chains have me just running all over the drat place.

Wait til you get to the latter half of Vol. 1! "Hey go talk to this dude in Rivendell. Now go to Angmar. Now Evendim. Now Angmar again. North Downs. Rivendell." Guuuuuuuuuuh.

Rarity posted:

This is just like me. I'm still doing Shire quests even though I'm finished with the quest deed (Hey, that Mathom rep is important!).

There's an instance in the Misty Mountains that drops Mathom rep like crazy and is way easier to do than a billion Shire quests. I'm blanking on the name/whether or not it's VIP, but I'm sure someone knows. It's not in Helegrod, I know that.

Knightsoul
Dec 19, 2008
In as Fleshcage! need an invite to nazgun army. :)

edit: RECRUITED as covert spy. :D

Knightsoul fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 21, 2013

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Looks like I get to go on an ore farming adventure tomorrow since the weaponsmith crafting guild recipes need crap tons of ore that is either too expensive on the AH or not even up there at all. If I were to just use the ore I already have I'd only be able to make like 5 of the emblems each time they're off cooldown and it'd take like 2 months to max out the rep.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Radio! posted:

There's an instance in the Misty Mountains that drops Mathom rep like crazy and is way easier to do than a billion Shire quests. I'm blanking on the name/whether or not it's VIP, but I'm sure someone knows. It's not in Helegrod, I know that.

By the time I'd done half of Evendim it'd given me enough items to rise through half the ranks of wardens and mathom society.

Mathoms drop everywhere.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

I'm torn... just looking at Update 9, it's very obvious they're cashing in the movie by featuring all those same areas, so I get the feeling the next big expansion/update will be North Mirkwood and the Dalelands, maybe even the Lonely Mountain. Thing is, I'd really like them to do West Rohan/Helm's Deep/Fangorn/Gap of Rohan, that way it could link up to Isengard and that whole area of the map would be "complete."

If I ere to buy the Rohan expansion but not the Triple Pack with Isengard and Moria and all that... could I even get to Rohan, since I can't go through Moria? If I did go out there, could I just buy a warhorse (assuming you can below level 60 or whatever) and then just ride back to Eriador and keep doing my thing, or would that just be retarded? Guessing the latter.

Goddammit, Steam, have another sale already!

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Fuzz posted:

I'm torn... just looking at Update 9, it's very obvious they're cashing in the movie by featuring all those same areas, so I get the feeling the next big expansion/update will be North Mirkwood and the Dalelands, maybe even the Lonely Mountain. Thing is, I'd really like them to do West Rohan/Helm's Deep/Fangorn/Gap of Rohan, that way it could link up to Isengard and that whole area of the map would be "complete."

If I ere to buy the Rohan expansion but not the Triple Pack with Isengard and Moria and all that... could I even get to Rohan, since I can't go through Moria? If I did go out there, could I just buy a warhorse (assuming you can below level 60 or whatever) and then just ride back to Eriador and keep doing my thing, or would that just be retarded? Guessing the latter.

You technically could kill a bunch of orcs for a bunch of years, or just repeat skirmishes, but I think it would be best to make an alt if you're not sure you're ready to buy the expansion packs in between.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Radio! posted:

Is it Goblin Town? I remember getting a retarded amount of rep items there long ago. They could've been for Rivendell, but whomever it was I maxxed out due to spending a few hours in there.

Fuzz posted:

If they do North Mirkwood and the Vale they could introduce Beorn and a new class: shapeshifter :getin:

e: Looking to get a level 38 set of heavy armor made for my captain. If someone's willing to do so let me know how many ingots and of what types(s) you need and I'll send them to you along with the crit items. Also looking to get a greatsword made as well, unless there'd be a good reason to use something else on the captain. Just need boots and a helm now.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Jan 21, 2013

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Fuzz posted:

You can go through areas you don't own, you just can't do any quests in them (except epic).

grumbster
Apr 19, 2004
Lord of the Fjord

Fuzz posted:

From the last dev chat on twitter:

Q4: Do you have any plans to make a new zone for Dale and Erebor or is it just going to be the Instaces?

A4: Just the instances. #LOTRO #DEVCHAT

In that same interview they stated that the next region would come in update 11. I doubt it will be all of West Rohan though, I think Helm's Deep will be a good enough selling point to make it maybe a mini-expansion like Mirkwood.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

grumbster posted:

Q4: Do you have any plans to make a new zone for Dale and Erebor or is it just going to be the Instaces?

In that same interview they stated that the next region would come in update 11. I doubt it will be all of West Rohan though, I think Helm's Deep will be a good enough selling point to make it maybe a mini-expansion like Mirkwood.

That's kind of a shame. I would have liked to have the Lonely Mountain as some sort of huge dungeon area like Moria, with maybe a few cool raids or something. Maybe like a Spawn of Smaug thing where apparently Smaug had a mate lay a bunch of eggs and they've now hatched and are terrorizing everyone or something.

I just want to see what they do with Osgiliath... that has the potential to be one of the badassiest areas in the game.

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Who needs Smaug when you've got Draigoch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc_cRmn6qok
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtpWV6cHMQI

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jan 21, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Speaking of, do you guys raid much anymore? Last few nights on kinchat it doesn't really seem like it... has it gone out of style, or are the raids bad, or what?

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Raids are formed in glff pretty regularly, which stands for global looking for fellowship. /joinchannel glff

There's no level 85 raids right now, though. Not even instances other than the scaled Erebor instances added recently that I'm aware of. And until the recent boom in population there wasn't much Nazgun activity to speak of, I imagine.

Also: Look how lovely your first trip into The Maze went with two randoms from GLFF/LFF vs people who know what they're doing and can forumlate or follow plans. Imagine 12-24 sized groups like that.

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Jan 21, 2013

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Captain Backslap posted:

Also: Look how lovely your first trip into The Maze went with two randoms from GLFF/LFF vs people who know what they're doing and can forumlate or follow plans. Imagine 12-24 sized groups like that.

Good point.

Only other modern MMORPG I've played is SWTOR, and that game's content in general was easy as poo poo compared to LOTRO's group stuff. Flashpoints were a joke for the most part, and even the Raids weren't particularly hard if your people knew what to do.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Fuzz posted:

North Mirkwood and Fangorn are excellent candidates for the spring update, which if history repeats itself should come around April. It sounds like update 10 with the East Rohan raids is coming in February. I get the feeling a September/October expansion will bring at least West Rohan.

grumbster posted:

That's weird because I remember someone from Turbine saying they wanted to eventually have the entirety of middle-earth represented in the game. They probably realized that with the rate at which they're releasing new areas of the world, it would take them another 10 years to get it all in.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

ruffz posted:

That's weird because I remember someone from Turbine saying they wanted to eventually have the entirety of middle-earth represented in the game. They probably realized that with the rate at which they're releasing new areas of the world, it would take them another 10 years to get it all in.

Ehh... The only things left are Mirkwood/Dalelands/Lonely Mountain, Gondor, and Mordor... I mean, you could do the Iron and Grey Mountains, Rhun,, and Harad, but yeah... who cares? Eriador is huge compared to the rest of the provinces... look at the map:

So Mordor and Gondor would be the biggest ones.

dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

Fuzz posted:

Speaking of, do you guys raid much anymore? Last few nights on kinchat it doesn't really seem like it... has it gone out of style, or are the raids bad, or what?

Most people either have raid groups outside the kin or small groups that they play with regularly. When people start hitting 85, we can probably start running things as a kin, provided most people play to that point. Raids / groups are lots of fun at 85.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Goddamn, I'm sitting around at work, REALLY wanting to start a Warden.

gently caress this game and it's SIREN DEVIL poo poo.

EDIT: I'm really tempted to grab the Legendary Edition of Rohan and a hardcopy of Moria new off of eBay for like $15, then use the 2500 points to buy the other two expansions or something. Ughh...

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Jan 21, 2013

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

ruffz posted:

Maybe they just mean they don't have any plans to do Dale right now? It does seem weird that they wouldn't put that in, especially since it's one of the places Race of Man characters can be from.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

ruffz posted:

I really just wanna tool around in Minas Tirith, is that too much to ask?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Rode through Eregion yesterday to mine and pick up stables, and it seems really dull. Talked to a few quest givers and nothing much grabbed me so I might end up skipping it and save my points for something else down the line.

The Moria stuff starts at level 50, right? So I should be good to go at around 47/48? 44 now, with some Trollshaws stuff left to do.

Even if I go grind some racial/class skill deeds I'm probably going to fall a little short aren't I. And I don't own much group content before the expansion stuff (that I know of).

Lars
Jul 6, 2004

Better Lucky Than Good.
(since 1994)

Fuzz posted:

Goddamn, I'm sitting around at work, REALLY wanting to start a Warden.

gently caress this game and it's SIREN DEVIL poo poo.

EDIT: I'm really tempted to grab the Legendary Edition of Rohan and a hardcopy of Moria new off of eBay for like $15, then use the 2500 points to buy the other two expansions or something. Ughh...

Yeah, I have the same evil Winter-MMO addiction thing going. For a F2P game, I've already spend quite a fair amount of money on content I'm not even at yet.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The determination virtue deeds are a deliberate pisstake, right?

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

sassassin posted:

Rode through Eregion yesterday to mine and pick up stables, and it seems really dull. Talked to a few quest givers and nothing much grabbed me so I might end up skipping it and save my points for something else down the line.

The Moria stuff starts at level 50, right? So I should be good to go at around 47/48? 44 now, with some Trollshaws stuff left to do.

Even if I go grind some racial/class skill deeds I'm probably going to fall a little short aren't I. And I don't own much group content before the expansion stuff (that I know of).

Eregion is like a breath of fresh air after 35-45. And you can go start the legendary quest at 45 which also unlocks the beginning of Moria.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Sheep posted:

Eregion is like a breath of fresh air after 35-45. And you can go start the legendary quest at 45 which also unlocks the beginning of Moria.

30-40 for me was pretty good (mostly Evendim), 40-(almost)45 hasn't been too bad (mostly Trollshaws). Gained a lot of levels recently getting stuck into combat area like Annuminas, looking down and oh I've filled half the bar already.

Haven't even used any of the enhanced xp things I got in a lottery, though I did sell a couple for 5 gold apiece. The ones I have left might get me in shape for Moria.

There's no real hook atm to get me into Eregion. The lore is sparse and unlike Angmar or the Misty Mountains there haven't been any quests sending me in to see what's what. I hear it's good, and exploring the lands of the old elven smiths sounds neat, but it's just a some fields and ditches and orcs.

Is there a questline as cool sounding as 'reforge the sword that was broken for me'?

sassassin fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jan 21, 2013

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Holy crap, lots of posts last night!

Radio! posted:

Wait til you get to the latter half of Vol. 1! "Hey go talk to this dude in Rivendell. Now go to Angmar. Now Evendim. Now Angmar again. North Downs. Rivendell." Guuuuuuuuuuh.

Hooray for ports and cheap traveling rations! Although this news further cements my "never going to play an alt", because I can't imagine playing the game and not being a hunter at this point.

Radio! posted:

It's not about the rep, it's about doing all the quests! At some point I'm going to go back and do Shire, Archet, etc. Whatever zones will talk to me. In WoW, I had Loremaster back before they revamped everything for Cataclysm, and made it a lot easier. Anyone else who's familiar with that achievement knows the hell I went through :).

ruffz posted:

Looks like I get to go on an ore farming adventure tomorrow since the weaponsmith crafting guild recipes need crap tons of ore that is either too expensive on the AH or not even up there at all. If I were to just use the ore I already have I'd only be able to make like 5 of the emblems each time they're off cooldown and it'd take like 2 months to max out the rep.

I feel lost - are you saying there's another way to get guild rep than making the patterns and consuming them? I've only been in the crafting guild for a few days.

Fuzz posted:

If I ere to buy the Rohan expansion but not the Triple Pack with Isengard and Moria and all that... could I even get to Rohan, since I can't go through Moria?

My understanding was that the entire world map is open. If you don't own the content, you'll have no quests, and can't do the deeds, so it'd pretty drat pointless, but you could still travel around. Also a hunter could port you I'd assume.

Fuzz posted:

I feel ya. We both joined in right as all the awesome sales ended (Mithril pack $10, triple-pack $20, Rohan $20).

Fuzz posted:

Only other modern MMORPG I've played is SWTOR, and that game's content in general was easy as poo poo compared to LOTRO's group stuff. Flashpoints were a joke for the most part, and even the Raids weren't particularly hard if your people knew what to do.

FWIW, I've found that goes for drat near all MMOs. Most of the time pubbies are horrible, guild groups are decent because people are less impatient and more willing to listen. I did a Flashpoint in SWTOR during beta, and we got our asses handed to us on two or three attempts, then everyone bailed. And I think it goes without saying that "content is easier if people know what's going on".

Except for that first dude in GB, good lord. It's totally a DPS check.

Twisted Perspective
Sep 15, 2005

I've come to see you...
Speaking of having fun in Agamar I've got a Champion quest that's long overdue but I can't find a way into Urugarth. Can anyone help me out? How the gently caress do you get there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DataSage
Nov 10, 2005

Sorry for the interruption, but this is a revolution.
Oh good Lord, it looks like I'm getting back into this! I've played this game off and on with goons, but all my serious high level characters are on other servers...

That being said, I always run into this problem when starting a new character, it's called "WHICH CLASS?" because I happen to love almost all of the classes in the game for some reason or another. Especially Burg, LM, and RK. Is there even any need for particular classes in the goon guild at this point? I have like a level 8 on Silverlode of those three, but I'm so indecisive as to which should be my main...

Suggestions? Or should I just roll with whatever tickles my fancy at this point.

• Locked thread