Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mister Roboto posted:

Everyone said this at the start, but that was almost 2 years ago. I think Miles is doing fine as new Spidey. Bendis has done a good job of keeping him interesting.

The only way Peter comes back is if the Ultimate line is about to collapse and they play that card as a final attempt to get people interested again. Otherwise, Bendis doesn't seem that stupid to wreck the tenuous approval he's gotten so far for his own personal Spiderman project.

I do not see Bendis bringing Peter back. He told his story adn his story is done. However, I could see Loeb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

From Avengers Assemble #11. The team is up against some kind of biological bacteria thing that Bruce Banner accidentally ingested. He's had to become the Hulk strictly for the sake of keeping his insides from exploding and as the Hulk, the constant pain has turned him murderously violent. He's being contained in the same cage from the Avengers movie.

The bacteria has been inserted into a water supply and is about to be introduced to a nearby village. Iron Man has a plan to stop it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Gavok posted:

From Avengers Assemble #11. The team is up against some kind of biological bacteria thing that Bruce Banner accidentally ingested. He's had to become the Hulk strictly for the sake of keeping his insides from exploding and as the Hulk, the constant pain has turned him murderously violent. He's being contained in the same cage from the Avengers movie.

The bacteria has been inserted into a water supply and is about to be introduced to a nearby village. Iron Man has a plan to stop it.

Is Iron Man's plan to have Hulk drink all the infected water or plug the dam with his finger? What's the plot resolution to that gem of an idea?

A COMPUTER GUY
Aug 23, 2007

I can't spare this man - he fights.

Drifter posted:

Is Iron Man's plan to have Hulk drink all the infected water or plug the dam with his finger? What's the plot resolution to that gem of an idea?

It ends up being irrelevant because Thor sucks up the water using a cyclone and Captain Marvel throws the now-frozen water into space.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Ulysses S. Grant posted:

It ends up being irrelevant because Thor sucks up the water using a cyclone and Captain Marvel throws the now-frozen water into space.

Lame.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

bobkatt013 posted:

I do not see Bendis bringing Peter back. He told his story adn his story is done. However, I could see Loeb.

The only non-terrible reason I could think of is if they use the abandoned "spider shaman" thing from the JMS story lines that was written out as soon as someone new took over. Bringing back Parker as the totemic manifestation of the Spider would let them explore new ground with the Ultimate stories rather then rehashing old Marvel stories. Plus I can't think of any good Ultimate comics that ever did magic well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

pentyne posted:

The only non-terrible reason I could think of is if they use the abandoned "spider shaman" thing from the JMS story lines that was written out as soon as someone new took over. Bringing back Parker as the totemic manifestation of the Spider would let them explore new ground with the Ultimate stories rather then rehashing old Marvel stories. Plus I can't think of any good Ultimate comics that ever did magic well.

Ultimate Spider-man has not be rehashing stories for a while. Also Miles is awesome and he needs to stay.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.
If Ult. Peter comes back it'll probably get treated like the Gwen resurrection "You're a clone with all the memories? Well then you're Gwen by every meaningful messure"

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

SirDan3k posted:

If Ult. Peter comes back it'll probably get treated like the Gwen resurrection "You're a clone with all the memories? Well then you're Gwen by every meaningful messure"
Solicits: Gwen's status seems to be coming up again

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

pentyne posted:

See I always thought they should have used that idea to explain Miles getting his powers. Right now Miles origin is the stock spider bite, dead uncle bit. The idea that Anasazi is out there giving power to the downtrodden to see how they handle it, and with Miles being a minority, opens up a lot of powerful storyline possibilities. Even if they don't want to go that way, just having it as an option would be better.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
They still can. Maybe even put in a line like

"What, did you really think that getting your powers the exact same way Peter Parker did was a coincidence?"

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Fried Chicken posted:

See I always thought they should have used that idea to explain Miles getting his powers. Right now Miles origin is the stock spider bite, dead uncle bit.

That's true, but boy, did the dead uncle turn up in a very, very different fashion.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
This is just more of the same story I posted earlier, but I do love when JJJ is all upstanding and poo poo so I'll post it anyway. Here's a little further back when Betty Brant is trying to sell Jameson the story.

Ultimate Spider-Man #16.1

(It's kind of interesting in that Brant almost did crack the case. But it doesn't matter because at the end of the issue Venom kills her. Ohhhh wellll.)

e: thumbnailed for table-breakin'

Dr. MonkeyThunder
Sep 21, 2005

All is, if i have grace to use it so...
Is that the same reporter that interviewed Captain America and told him his point of view was irrelevant because he didn't know what Facebook, and NASCAR were? If so I hate that character even more.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Dr. MonkeyThunder posted:

Is that the same reporter that interviewed Captain America and told him his point of view was irrelevant because he didn't know what Facebook, and NASCAR were? If so I hate that character even more.

Not in the Ultimates universe.

amplifier worship
Aug 26, 2010

The slave is doomed to worship time and fate and death, because they are greater than anything he finds in himself.

I think you mean "classic". Growing up on comics in the early 80's, that poo poo was exactly why I even read the funny pages. The very water itself is poisonous! Fear not, citizen, for I, Thor, God of Thunder, shall summon the very winds of Asgard into a tremendous cyclone to do away with the threat that faces thee and thine! You've got to be loving kidding if you think superheroes using silly powers in a comic book to save lives is "lame".

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Mister Roboto posted:

Not in the Ultimates universe.

Not the same person in 616 either.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

amplifier worship posted:

I think you mean "classic". Growing up on comics in the early 80's, that poo poo was exactly why I even read the funny pages. The very water itself is poisonous! Fear not, citizen, for I, Thor, God of Thunder, shall summon the very winds of Asgard into a tremendous cyclone to do away with the threat that faces thee and thine! You've got to be loving kidding if you think superheroes using silly powers in a comic book to save lives is "lame".

I thought it was "lame" just because it wasn't the Hulk who saved the day. :shrug:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

prefect posted:

I thought it was "lame" just because it wasn't the Hulk who saved the day. :shrug:

I must also admit being disappointed it didn't resolve with a "HULK CHUG!" scene.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

SirDan3k posted:

I must also admit being disappointed it didn't resolve with a "HULK CHUG!" scene.

Thor could have chugged it, too. He once got in a drinking contest where he was tricked into drinking enough of the ocean that sea level changed noticeably.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

prefect posted:

Thor could have chugged it, too. He once got in a drinking contest where he was tricked into drinking enough of the ocean that sea level changed noticeably.

Thus introducing the phrase "Like a racehorse" into the Asgardian vocabulary.

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

prefect posted:

Great now I'm disappointed it didn't end in a Hulk v Thor who can chug the most infected river water contest.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

SirDan3k posted:

Great now I'm disappointed it didn't end in a Hulk v Thor who can chug the most infected river water contest.

Followed quickly by the inaugural "Why did we do this?" making GBS threads/puking contest

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

TwoPair posted:

Followed quickly by the inaugural "Why did we do this?" making GBS threads/puking contest

into the same water supply

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

amplifier worship posted:

My point about it being "lame" is here's this poignant moment where Hulk volunteers to sacrifice himself to be a hero and save a few thousand(?) people.

And then in swoops Thor, all "You stupid green bitch. Just stand there like an idiot while I use my Thunder God powers to just move all the water out of the way. Nah, don't sweat it, Captain Marvel's going to fly it into the sun or something. Oh? Tony said this was the only way? Yeah, he bet me he could get you to jump because you're a big dummy. I guess I owe him $10. C'mon let's get you cleaned up"

The writer built up this meaningful action and then just threw it to the wayside. Yes, I know that big stupid explanations and super powered muscle men are the fun part of these comics. And I know they wouldn't have killed him off anyway, but let him have his moment and then resolve it away with "Oh, Ant-man shrunk down and rounded up a posse of nanobots, they're inside you right now destroying the poison atom by atom. You did good."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Kaleidoscope posted:

Those Ultimate Spidey panels are only made more impactful by the fact that Sara Pichelli can draw the poo poo out of a comic book.

Uh, the above panels are drawn by Mark Bagley.

Madrox
Jan 31, 2001

Does whatever
a multiple can.
Kaleidoscope may have been referring to the earlier stuff TwoPair posted.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Portrait of a Girl with an Unpronounceable Name from Negative Burn #20

Also collected in The One Trick Rip-Off + Deep Cuts by Paul Pope

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong
Winter Soldier #14. Bucky and the Avengers have defeated Soviet sleeper agent Leo Novokov and Black Widow, who was brainwashed.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Kull the Conqueror posted:

Winter Soldier #14. Bucky and the Avengers have defeated Soviet sleeper agent Leo Novokov and Black Widow, who was brainwashed.

drat, that's Classic Brubaker. I assume that's the end of his final issue?

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

drat, that's Classic Brubaker. I assume that's the end of his final issue?

Yeah, it is. The entire run is really good (like, the best parts of Captain America good) so if you're into Brubaker in the slightest then you should check it out.

Late Unpleasantness
Mar 26, 2008

s m o k e d

Paul Pope is the only illustrator who leaves me starstruck. I get to stammering. It's pretty bad.

anime.gif:

From Volume 6 of Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind, written and drawn by that Miyazaki guy who did a bunch of movies. poo poo has gone down and an old dude with a huge moustache has to lay it out for the comic relief jerk. Why is this Princess Nausicaä worth fighting for?

It's worth reading.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Adam Strange posted:

Yeah, it is. The entire run is really good (like, the best parts of Captain America good) so if you're into Brubaker in the slightest then you should check it out.

I read the first volume from my library, and thought it was solid, but not great like his Daredevil or all his Sean Phillips collaborations. I think I'm on the waiting list for the second volume right now, so I'm sure I'll catch up eventually.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Winter Soldier #14. Bucky and the Avengers

So how did the rest of the Avengers take to finding out that he faked his death back during Fear Itself and didn't tell any of them?

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I read the first volume from my library, and thought it was solid, but not great like his Daredevil or all his Sean Phillips collaborations. I think I'm on the waiting list for the second volume right now, so I'm sure I'll catch up eventually.

Oh I kind of loved Winter Soldier and while it might just be because it's finished so recently, I want to say it's my favourite thing he's done with Marvel. The first Daredevil arc in the prison was fantastic but it was just diminishing returns for me after that. Winter Soldier sustains its energy for the entire 14/15 issues in a way DD and Cap and X-Men (ahahaha) don't.

e: art was cool as gently caress too

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

TwoPair posted:

So how did the rest of the Avengers take to finding out that he faked his death back during Fear Itself and didn't tell any of them?

I don't think everyone knows yet; just Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Hawkeye, Wolverine, and Daredevil. Clint just reminded him that he still owed him money and Logan said he figured he was still alive, and then they moved on.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
You know, I really wanted to put a page from Hawkguy #7 in here, but I just know I'd end up linking the entire issue :unsmith:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

I don't think everyone knows yet; just Steve Rogers, Nick Fury, Hawkeye, Wolverine, and Daredevil. Clint just reminded him that he still owed him money and Logan said he figured he was still alive, and then they moved on.

How many of those guys have faked their death at one point or another?

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

prefect posted:

How many of those guys have faked their death at one point or another?

Every single one of them has been "dead" at some point, whether deliberately faking their own death or being thought dead by others. Every. Single. One.

Pretty sure that's why there was no bitching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Every single one of them has been "dead" at some point, whether deliberately faking their own death or being thought dead by others. Every. Single. One.

Pretty sure that's why there was no bitching.

Also all are heavily tied to SHIELD so there is a 90% chance there is a LMD of them that could have died.