Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I just got FF: Dimensions on Android and it certainly is made like the original games in terms of difficulty. It seems less technically impressive than FF6 so far; there's a fog blocking the view when the screen goes into fake mode 7, and they could not take the time showing what happened to the world at the end of the prologue, just some text on a blue background. :( Dimensions was originally released in Japan for crappy flip phones so that makes sense. Best part of the game is the auto-battle feature, let's you grind monsters without needing to press attack a million times. The bosses have anti-auto-battle attacks that will wipe our your party pretty fast, luckily auto-battle is always off when you start a boss battle.

Yaos fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Jan 21, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

quote:

FFIV: After Years Plot Stuff

I don't understand what people have against the crystals big reveal and the whole other games are now dead/harvested/whatever. I thought it was kind of neat and an interesting way to seed in some references and challenges from previous games. I mean I can sort of understand being upset that all those worlds are now dead but it's not like they were ever going to do anything with them or stops them from doing anything with them. Hell, knowing S-E, if they wanted to make a sequel to anything they could just ignore the After Years completely.

I guess I just don't understand what's so bad about it all. I mean, sure it's a pretty out there plot point, but I've come to expect stuff like that from the series.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

ImpAtom posted:

The 'wiggling' is Sephiroth trying to pull it free/move it and being unable to because Cloud has a death grip on it.

If only Sephy hadn't been playing with super glue a few hours ago in the mansion, he could've let go of the sword without any problems.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Francois Kofko posted:

This acronym reminded me of Crystal Chronicles. CC was a good game. Unfortunate about the stupid gimmick needed for multiplayer, because it was seriously a blast.
Yup, there's no game in the entire world I've had more fun playing than Crystal Chronicles with four players.

The caveat is, nobody's gonna read that fuckin' journal in multiplayer mode, meaning you're all hosed super hard come time for the final boss because it asks you about things you'd only find in your entries, not in the scenes themselves.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Krad posted:

If only Sephy hadn't been playing with super glue a few hours ago in the mansion, he could've let go of the sword without any problems.

That dude loves his sword. You don't give up a sword that sweet.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Remember that he was holding onto his dear mommy's head with his other hand. I'm guessing his thought process was something like "ow! My goddam spine!! I must not release my grip whatsoeveR!"

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Evil Fluffy posted:

There aren't even crystals in FF6, but that's pretty minor compared to the rest of TAY's unfiltered insanity. :v:

I always felt like magicite filled the symbolic role of the crystals in FF6, as a precious stone with immense power that everyone wanted to control, but they were pretty different from the elemental crystals of other games and pretty explicitly not seeded by an ancient interdimensional race or whatever nonsense.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I always felt like magicite filled the symbolic role of the crystals in FF6, as a precious stone with immense power that everyone wanted to control, but they were pretty different from the elemental crystals of other games and pretty explicitly not seeded by an ancient interdimensional race or whatever nonsense.

Well they were seeded for recording something something evolution right? Clearly the Esper's just evolved from the crystals into their own form of life :tinfoil:

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Krad posted:

His anime pride wouldn't allow him to release his sword and concede defeat to some lowly grunt.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Look, it's really difficult to remove a five-foot long katana from a human torso while standing on a narrow catwalk.

I learned this personally, but you must never ask me how.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Well they were seeded for recording something something evolution right? Clearly the Esper's just evolved from the crystals into their own form of life :tinfoil:

Nah, can't be. FF6 explicitly mentions that the Espers were humans and animals that were transformed by the Warring Triad in ancient times.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

Look, it's really difficult to remove a five-foot long katana from a human torso while standing on a narrow catwalk.

I learned this personally, but you must never ask me how.

Oh, quit acting like you're the only person whose ever done that. We all went to high school.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

W.T. Fits posted:

Nah, can't be. FF6 explicitly mentions that the Espers were humans and animals that were transformed by the Warring Triad in ancient times.

I totally don't remember this, when do they say that? I remember most of the rest of the plot but not that detail. Weird.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I beat FFT:ATB which makes me even angrier at it because there's actually a good game hidden somewhere in there and they really hosed it up. Like, Dragoon can avoid attacks with good timing by jumping out of the way, Summoners have a really long vulnerable period but hit the whole screen for 9999, Thiefs spend most of their time in the invulnerable attack animation and very quickly reload so micromanaging one can make him live for a long time.

But no the game turns into WIGGLE FINGER AT SCREEN

Also they have like every FF5 class in there and the last area is the Void from FF5.

Francois Kofko posted:

This acronym reminded me of Crystal Chronicles. CC was a good game. Unfortunate about the stupid gimmick needed for multiplayer, because it was seriously a blast.

We actually had 4 GBAs hooked up to my friend's gamecube and would play this game a lot. I liked the music

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 21, 2013

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I totally don't remember this, when do they say that? I remember most of the rest of the plot but not that detail. Weird.

I don't really remember it either but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it may have even been something from the SFAM version that was originally lost in translation. That's exactly the kind of weird detail the SNES-era Square translations would miss.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Zombies' Downfall posted:

I don't really remember it either but I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it may have even been something from the SFAM version that was originally lost in translation. That's exactly the kind of weird detail the SNES-era Square translations would miss.

No, I distinctly remember them saying it somewhere. I want to say it's when the party goes to triangle island in the WoB and sees the three funky memorial statues? I think if you read them it says something about it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

The earlier discussion of worst characters in Square history tickled something in my mind but I just now realized who I was trying to think of.

Even by Dirge of Cerberus standards she stands out as the most unintelligent, unlikable, unsympathetic and badly-written piece of trash imaginable. I get Vinny-Mac was in love and love makes you dumb and blind but there is no excuse for him liking her after he learns the truth about everything.

Lucrecia comes off as only slightly less monstrous than Hojo and the tragedy of it is that this was clearly not what they intended. They were trying to make you feel sorry for her.

I can safely say that Square has rarely failed so absolutely. I'd take almost any character you can name over Lucrecia.

SpitefulHammer
Dec 27, 2012
Is FF12 worth playing? I don't tend to see it mentioned a lot as far as favorite FF's go.

Thinking of picking it up, but not sure. I loved all the FFT games, 6,7 and 9 - with 9 being my favorite; but I hate 8 and especially 10. So with that in mind, do you think I'd like 12?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SpitefulHammer posted:

Is FF12 worth playing? I don't tend to see it mentioned a lot as far as favorite FF's go.

Thinking of picking it up, but not sure. I loved all the FFT games, 6,7 and 9 - with 9 being my favorite; but I hate 8 and especially 10. So with that in mind, do you think I'd like 12?

FF12 is a game where you either really like it or you don't. It depends on if the combat automation strikes you as interesting or boring, and if you're okay with a plot that moves at a rather glacial pace for what is fundamentally a very simple story. You'll probably enjoy the story but the gameplay is difficult to say because it either works for you or doesn't.

It's like $5 in stores though so it can't hurt.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

SpitefulHammer posted:

I'm in the camp that loved that game. No tacked on love story, quite a few cool and likeable characters, awesome aesthetic and monster design. The automated battles seem simple but some enemies will destroy you unless you set your commands right and I found it fun making a perfectly well oiled machine of a team. Vaan isn't really a "hero protagonist" so much as an inconsequential nobody that gets caught up in stuff, meaning you can ignore him and focus on the other characters and story. It's the only game other than persona 4 that I can remember putting 70+ hours into since it came out.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I'm in the camp that loved that game. No tacked on love story, quite a few cool and likeable characters, awesome aesthetic and monster design. The automated battles seem simple but some enemies will destroy you unless you set your commands right and I found it fun making a perfectly well oiled machine of a team. Vaan isn't really a "hero protagonist" so much as an inconsequential nobody that gets caught up in stuff, meaning you can ignore him and focus on the other characters and story. It's the only game other than persona 4 that I can remember putting 70+ hours into since it came out.

This echoes my sentiments exactly. For some reason, the Sky Pirate's Den also scratched just the right itch to make me want to relentlessly 100% the game. I'm drat proud of my Order of Ambrosia rank.

I also really liked the design of Yiazmat, in that I could go and take a break and come back later with it. His gain of Defense Up and cutting the damage cap to 6999 at 50% was kinda annoying, though, I actually had to plunder my Ether/Elixir supplies... :argh:

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Thing is, if the twist was meant to be that she's just as monstrous as Hojo, only trying to justify the stuff in her mind, it would have been fine. But like you said, the game expects you to feel sympathetic to this horrible person.

The way they went about her relationship issues with Vincent was weird too - it couldn't have just been "it didn't work out between the two, though Vincent still pines after her", it's "I feel guilty because your (previously unmentioned) father died in some experiment of mine that went wrong,...but I'm sorry".

DoC is pretty horrible in general. About the only redeeming thing is the music, and the VA work. Seriously, Paul Eiding as Hojo is wonderful :allears:
http://tindeck.com/listen/zdly

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Jan 21, 2013

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

SpitefulHammer posted:

I adore 12. It's hard to give you a comparison to other FFs though, because its kind of its own thing. If you like Matsuno's other games (Tactics Ogre, FFT, Vagrant Story, etc), you might be predisposed to like it more, simply because the story is his.

Speaking of the story, essentially you can lop off everything about Vaan in the beginning and the last 5-10% of the game and you have a coherent story focused on a bunch of non teenage characters. It feels like the other stuff was slapped on there in the interest of having a 'relatable teenage icon' and 'a classic final villain'.

Not that Vaan is horrible or anything, it's just funny that the story is all about Ashe, Basche, Balthier, empire, and various other happenings, not the wanderings of sky pirate wannabe boy.

The gameplay, as far as moment to moment stuff goes, is pretty easy. However, if you decide to tackle the (entirely optional) side job hunts, you will quickly find yourself thrown into fights that will kick your rear end until you figure out how to crack them. Hunting down and defeating all of the Espers and the various big game hunts was a ton of fun, and you can do as little or as much of it as you want.

I didn't have a problem with the basic combat though, because I've always found FF normal combat to be somewhere between 'easy' and 'really easy', so automating bunny bashing wasn't a negative to me - ymmv.

Also the game looks a hell of a lot like FF11 offline, which might be good or bad depending on your experiences there.

If you can swing it, and this is a bit of a pain in the rear end, tracking down the JP only International Zodiac Job edition and the fan patch/translation dealy and applying it to the english copy is well worth the hassle. It has some nice gameplay tweaks, classic specific job boards, and a speedup feature that owns.

One step more on the pain in the rear end scale, if you have a pc capable of it, playing it on PCSX2 emulated is amazing. I mean like Xenoblade levels of "Holy poo poo, how high res were these textures?".

For all that, I still enjoyed the vanilla playthrough on my PS2 just fine, but when I replayed it recently, I did all of the above and played it emulated, translated, and on my tv with a ps3 pad piped from my pc and loved it :v:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I would play the poo poo out of a Vita release of FFX, FFXII, hell even X-2 (I liked the jobs)

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I beat FFT:ATB which makes me even angrier at it because there's actually a good game hidden somewhere in there and they really hosed it up. Like, Dragoon can avoid attacks with good timing by jumping out of the way, Summoners have a really long vulnerable period but hit the whole screen for 9999, Thiefs spend most of their time in the invulnerable attack animation and very quickly reload so micromanaging one can make him live for a long time.

The whole idea of "Each character has one command that does one thing, but you have a MASSIVE gently caress OFF PARTY" is amazing.
Execution seems not to live up to that potential.

Happy Blue Cow
Oct 23, 2008

I have moooore respect for
Mr. Carpainter then others. Even if I become someone's steak dinner, I'll still respect him.

victrix posted:

[e...] Speaking of the story, essentially you can lop off everything about Vaan in the beginning and the last 5-10% of the game and you have a coherent story focused on a bunch of non teenage characters. It feels like the other stuff was slapped on there in the interest of having a 'relatable teenage icon' and 'a classic final villain'.

It feels that way because of exactly that. Vaan was literally shoehorned into the game as protagonist due to an upper-management veto for a 'relatable teenage icon' (against Matsuno's wishes).

It scares me a little (ok, a lot) to hear these kinds of decisions happening...

I would play the poo poo out of a Vita release of FFX, FFXII, hell even X-2 (I liked the jobs)

God drat, yes.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Happy Blue Cow posted:

It scares me a little (ok, a lot) to hear these kinds of decisions happening...

Luckily it seems that the executives have decided not to meddle a whole lot after the FFXIV debacle. In fact, they have been relatively humble when it comes to new series and have been pretty hands off so far with their publishing duties.

Or at least it appears so. Dont know if they are still strong arm idiots trusting dumb marketing research instead of directors with tons of experience making good games.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

It guts me that they have such stunning talent and they managed to kill so much good will (and so many potentially good games).

Games like the Tactics Ogre rerelease give me some hope for the future. Hell, even Nomura (He Who I Hate) did good with Dissidia, which is an awesome fanservice game - letting their devs work to their strengths instead of meddling or letting people who have no business near mainline games would make me a lot happier.

But I guess if their japanese fans are satisfied with their recent direction, they don't care. Lightning returns. Ugh.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Or at least it appears so. Dont know if they are still strong arm idiots trusting dumb marketing research instead of directors with tons of experience making good games.

Maybe that's because SE pretty much stopped making games after XIII/XIV.

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?

gredgie posted:

I've not played III yet though, I completed FFI the other day and I'm now going through FFII.

If you've been playing the NES versions, you're in for a real treat with FFIII. A few months ago I went through them chronologically like that and FFIII just hit me in the face with how much of an obvious improvement it was over the first two.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

X and X-2 had the best battle systems in the franchise. X-2's ATB+interrupts was loving amazing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

A young protagonist that we could relate to who has the extra touch of prettyboy good looks.

Hm...

What the hell, Square. You already had a rather pivotal character who fulfilled all your superficial requirements while also being interesting.

I'm convinced that he could have been the best main character in the series' history. He was already the second or third best character in the game and that was without some much needed extra screentime.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Vaan and Penelo got better in the DS sequel, Revenent Wings.
Whether or not Revenent Wings was any good otherwise is another matter.
I mean I liked it just fine, but other people did not.

Blind the Thief
Oct 9, 2012

But I wonder how the ghost fit inside a bottle?
Balthier doubtlessly would've carried the game strongly. Bad, bad decisions, Square. I always wondered why Vaan and Penelo felt so tacked on... guess they were.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011
FF12 had some fantastic secondary characters. They could make a sequel/prequel with non of the playable characters anywhere near it and it would be great. I really like the game, all apart from the similarity with the characters. The international edition appears to address this issue, I wish I had played that first.

I have also got a hankering to play FF7 again. Nostalgia.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I liked 12. Yeah the story was kind of slow and Vann/Penelo didn't really belong or do anything all that interesting, but the other characters were neat and I liked the world. Maybe I liked it more because I didn't fully automate the battles. Basch would have been a cool protagonist!

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I don't think there's any 'would' about it - the other characters are the main protagonists, Vaan is just your introduction to the world. Penelo is completely pointless.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

victrix posted:

Penelo is completely pointless.

Eh I dunno about that. Penelo being abducted is the bait to lure Balthier to Bhujerba, where they meet Larsa and get a hint something's going on at Draklor. It also gives them a reason for Vaan to tag along, since if it wasn't for Penelo being abducted, they would have left him behind after they got out of Nalbina.

So she's only mostly pointless. After they rescue her, she's not important for the rest of the game, but she does provide a small bit of plot relevance.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

The White Dragon posted:

Yup, there's no game in the entire world I've had more fun playing than Crystal Chronicles with four players.

The caveat is, nobody's gonna read that fuckin' journal in multiplayer mode, meaning you're all hosed super hard come time for the final boss because it asks you about things you'd only find in your entries, not in the scenes themselves.

Never got anybody to play that far MP :( I think the furthest I ever got with a multi group was like, year 7? Without doing any of the poo poo necessary to get you to the final boss area.

Man if there's one game I'd like to see them redo/rerelease for SOME modern console it'd be that. More than any of the main series stuff. FF9 in 13-quality HD would be orgasmic but on the other hand there's just nothing quite like the chaos of 4-player CC.

fronz fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Jan 22, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Twelve by Pies posted:

Eh I dunno about that. Penelo being abducted is the bait to lure Balthier to Bhujerba, where they meet Larsa and get a hint something's going on at Draklor. It also gives them a reason for Vaan to tag along, since if it wasn't for Penelo being abducted, they would have left him behind after they got out of Nalbina.

So she's only mostly pointless. After they rescue her, she's not important for the rest of the game, but she does provide a small bit of plot relevance.

She was Larsa's friend which makes her a-okay in my book. The rest of the party were just kind of acquaintances.