Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pimblor
Sep 13, 2003
bob
Grimey Drawer
Ooh, I just nostalgia'd so hard. I haven't played EQ since maybe 2002 or 2003. When I finally finished downloading 8 gigs worth of junk and the EQ theme blared out of the speakers I had a massive flashback.

I take it it's pretty lightly populated nowadays. I plan on just farting around for a bit and maybe doing a bit of sight seeing. Do people still hang around in the desert to sell crap? I made a new guy on the server with just a random name, Socallgon or somesuch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Hu Fa Ted posted:

Ooh, I just nostalgia'd so hard. I haven't played EQ since maybe 2002 or 2003. When I finally finished downloading 8 gigs worth of junk and the EQ theme blared out of the speakers I had a massive flashback.

I take it it's pretty lightly populated nowadays. I plan on just farting around for a bit and maybe doing a bit of sight seeing. Do people still hang around in the desert to sell crap? I made a new guy on the server with just a random name, Socallgon or somesuch.

The commons tunnel / GFay aren't trade hubs any more. The bazaar has actual functionality for selling, and any trade chat happens in global channels. Guild Lobby is the place to check out if you want to see everyone hanging out. It gets a little busy since people gather there for Mass Group Buffs. There's a Zone Guide that can set paths / show you the zone connections to take. The Find tool can generate the auto-path to the zone connection, or at least put the Red X on the map for the next zone line.

Vomik
Jul 29, 2003

This post is dedicated to the brave Mujahideen fighters of Afghanistan

MrTheDevious posted:

Yeah I do anguish on lockout timer. I'm down for another week though since we took out everything including OMM. You're first on the list for an orb next week though!

ah all right. Thanks. Next Saturday I guess? I should be able to log in then

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
More reason to go test, I guess...I decided to pay for a month on my account as a "thank you" for recovering it. I went from owning 17 expansions as a silver member to 14 as a gold. Nice logic!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Medullah posted:

More reason to go test, I guess...I decided to pay for a month on my account as a "thank you" for recovering it. I went from owning 17 expansions as a silver member to 14 as a gold. Nice logic!

Pardon my ensuing language, but what how the gently caress did that happen? Is it because it was such an old account that, when you "retired" it, you only had 14 expansions and now that you payed for Gold, it asserted that limit? I admit that I only had Silver accounts until I went to Test (where everyone has them all), but I was under the impression that absolutely nobody had less than the first 17, no matter what.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

JustJeff88 posted:

Pardon my ensuing language, but what how the gently caress did that happen? Is it because it was such an old account that, when you "retired" it, you only had 14 expansions and now that you payed for Gold, it asserted that limit? I admit that I only had Silver accounts until I went to Test (where everyone has them all), but I was under the impression that absolutely nobody had less than the first 17, no matter what.

Yeah, I'm guessing that's it. I opened a ticket, because according to the F2P FAQ you're supposed to have access to all 17 expansions as gold.

Not a huge deal, not going to do anything with the later ones I don't think, and only gonna be gold for a month...so not going to go crazy over it.

Fishes_Swim
Aug 18, 2003

Free the rigatoni
Saw this thread and reinstalled this game after some eight or more years removed from it. I need some fake internet fantasy character to tell me to collect rat buts and beetle guts to periodically distract myself from reading and writing. I have to say it was a bit nostalgic to run around the plane of tranquility again, but man things have changed since I played!

Going to copy my enchanter over to the test server for the hanging out. The OP said that the importance of enchanters has diminished substantially, which is a bit disappointing to hear. Are enchanters now mostly just a buff/debuff class?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Fishes_Swim posted:

The OP said that the importance of enchanters has diminished substantially, which is a bit disappointing to hear. Are enchanters now mostly just a buff/debuff class?

I have little experience with enchanters but quite a lot with bards, and all I will say is that the importance of crowd control is definitely greatly diminished in group scenarios and solo/molo/multibox play - keep in mind that I have no experience with "end game" raiding. I started long enough ago to remember the times when having 2 mobs in camp meant a wipe if you couldn't CC with an enchanter, a bard, or a root and putting some distance between you and something that wanted to eat you, so in that respect it has changed tremendously.

As for anything else, I will leave that to be said by any experienced enchanters that may be watching this thread. However, I do still find it ironic that the former "Holy Trinity" of warrior/cleric/enchanter from early EQ has been greatly disenfranchised in modern EQ, at the level of casual play at least. Warriors are not the premier tanks anymore, crowd control is much less important than it used to be, and clerics can be hired as mercenaries while druids and shaman are much better healers than they used to be. I think that it is all for the better, but it is still very imperfect and I think that class balance should be an object of constant scrutiny. It isn't, of course, because there isn't enough money in it, but it should be.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
So how does the Assassinate mechanic for rogues work? Is it just a proc on regular melee attacks on humanoid mobs of a sufficiently low level? Does anything effect the rate at which it activates? I gather that it can crit, too.

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.
Joined the guild with Noreh/Yasemin/Zebiss my 85 monk/shaman/ranger trio. I like the guild name. I'm usually running Lost Gnomes for xp and anybody (70+) is welcome to join me. If there is any demand for it I can post a quick rundown of how to get there. It involves long, pulsating, veiny cock-bridges.

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.

Devor posted:

So how does the Assassinate mechanic for rogues work? Is it just a proc on regular melee attacks on humanoid mobs of a sufficiently low level? Does anything effect the rate at which it activates? I gather that it can crit, too.

It is a proc on a backstab or throwing attack. It works in the same zones and on the same mobs as ranger HS works. You pretty much need the aa to backstab from the front and anatomy and the same aa's affect throwing assasinations. Admittedly I have never used this method to gain xp but I think those are the basics.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

revenance posted:

Reminder: All xpaks are unlocked on Test. :v:

I think this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I couldn't find it. But, when I log into Test, it says that I have 17 out of 19 expansions. Does that simply reflect the expansions activated on Live? It seems that the content (AAs, parcel system, spells, etc) is active on my account.

Should I care that it doesn't list them all being active?

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Velvis posted:

It is a proc on a backstab or throwing attack. It works in the same zones and on the same mobs as ranger HS works. You pretty much need the aa to backstab from the front and anatomy and the same aa's affect throwing assasinations. Admittedly I have never used this method to gain xp but I think those are the basics.

Ah, okay. So it relies on riposte-backstabs, plus front-backstabs to proc assassinate when you're rogue-swarming. That makes sense. For some reason I had missed the riposte-backstab AA, even though I was looking for it.

Velvis
Aug 18, 2005

Corn tastes good.

Carl Seitan posted:

I think this was mentioned earlier in this thread, but I couldn't find it. But, when I log into Test, it says that I have 17 out of 19 expansions. Does that simply reflect the expansions activated on Live? It seems that the content (AAs, parcel system, spells, etc) is active on my account.

Should I care that it doesn't list them all being active?

You shouldn't care. Everybody on Test has all content.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Velvis posted:

You shouldn't care. Everybody on Test has all content.

Man, the silver limitations really are crappy. I just can't see a reason now to not transfer to Test, after trying to run around and do anything. Can you get things like extra merc slots on test for station points?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Medullah posted:

Man, the silver limitations really are crappy. I just can't see a reason now to not transfer to Test, after trying to run around and do anything. Can you get things like extra merc slots on test for station points?

Station Cash is fully functional on Test, the only drawback I've ever experienced was limited bazaar, there was only ever like 4 traders with an extremely limited amount of goods. But it really fells like what F2P should have been.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Medullah posted:

But the murderrrrrrrr

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

No More Heroes posted:

Station Cash is fully functional on Test, the only drawback I've ever experienced was limited bazaar, there was only ever like 4 traders with an extremely limited amount of goods. But it really fells like what F2P should have been.

Kinda makes me wonder if that's what they're actually "testing" on Test these days.

Decided since my goal was just to run around and dink around doing old world content and dual box my accounts, Test is probably the best way. Copied over a 70 monk, 65 SK, 65 Cleric on one account and a 71 Bard, 60 Rogue, and 66 Necro on the other. Probably lost all my cool names, but oh well. I want to click from bags, have shared bank, and use Mercs. And not pay $30 a month for it. So Test here I come...

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I Love You! posted:

But the murderrrrrrrr

I completely forgot about PVP. Though when I tried to play the last time I got DOMINATED because 1) Skills years out of date and 2) Gear even MORE out of date.

Hey you played longer than me on Zek, did you ever know Caponne, Falpus or Sonantine? Sonantine was my cleric that I let a friend use when I quit, and the other two were characters he created and leveled before getting the account banned.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

No More Heroes posted:

The Bazaar is pretty robust these days with Test Copied gear no longer being flagged as No Drop and the offline traders.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shrapnac posted:

The Bazaar is pretty robust these days with Test Copied gear no longer being flagged as No Drop and the offline traders.

Which is hilarious with plat being copyable every 5 hours or so. When I made the decision to transfer my characters, every one of them transferred with the 150k I had saved up heh.

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch
You can copy plat as fast as you want, you just make level 1 alts, put the money on them, copy them, then delete that one and make another alt.

The bazaar on Test is actually pretty drat awesome right now. A handful of people testcopy TONS of poo poo and put it in the bazaar for nothing.

Rabid Kitty
Dec 5, 2006
Against my better judgment it seems like it'd be pretty fun to come and play a while on Test. I played for a while back when when Sony had their free time with a couple friends and it was pretty fun although we were getting wrecked a bit in HoT. I had a couple characters on FV with a bunch of plat and exp potions I copied over and am now fooling around with my 86 sk and 76 mag. Characters names are Aboboe and Madmud. Hope to get to play with some people so I'm not just off in a dark corner with my mercs grinding away. Look me up if you wanna party up.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Okay, few test/newbie questions -

I decided to use my SK and Bard, with a Cleric merc. What should the 2nd be? Wizard? Levels are 65 and 71.

The SK is a powerleveled twink. Meaning, he has crappy skills and almost no spells. Anyone have any recommendations on easy ways to raise skill levels (spell and physical) so he's actually somewhat useful? And what < 60 spells should I pick up? I got all the 61-65 ones, and a few of the 50-60, but I don't know if there are "necessary" spells that are less than 50.

Fishes_Swim
Aug 18, 2003

Free the rigatoni
Got around to playing a bit last night. It's strange what things I do and don't remember. Even though I had no idea where I was going half the time, some landmarks were very familiar. They also really upped the rate of exp gain! I killed a few mobs in the elemental planes, and was getting an AA every two kills or so with only 40% being funneled to them. I'll probably pop in again soon, name is Denalie (the copy added the 'e').

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007

Medullah posted:

I decided to use my SK and Bard, with a Cleric merc. What should the 2nd be? Wizard? Levels are 65 and 71.

The SK is a powerleveled twink. Meaning, he has crappy skills and almost no spells. Anyone have any recommendations on easy ways to raise skill levels (spell and physical) so he's actually somewhat useful? And what < 60 spells should I pick up? I got all the 61-65 ones, and a few of the 50-60, but I don't know if there are "necessary" spells that are less than 50.

I don't know about what SK spells to pick up really, but if you invest heavily in the Mastery of the Past AA it will let you never fizzle spells below a certain level. You won't be able to immediately cast your level appropriate spells, BUT it will make leveling spells much faster because you never fizzle your low level casts. Also, you can stop by a SK Guildmaster (in PoK or wherever) and just spend plat to apply your practices that you get for leveling (yeah, remember that poo poo?) to bump up some skills.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Not Grover posted:

I don't know about what SK spells to pick up really, but if you invest heavily in the Mastery of the Past AA it will let you never fizzle spells below a certain level. You won't be able to immediately cast your level appropriate spells, BUT it will make leveling spells much faster because you never fizzle your low level casts. Also, you can stop by a SK Guildmaster (in PoK or wherever) and just spend plat to apply your practices that you get for leveling (yeah, remember that poo poo?) to bump up some skills.

Heh yeah, he has 100 practices and all his skills are ~50. Good call on master of the past, I guess. Dammit, this is turning into too much of a time investment for some quick nostalgia. :(

Not Grover
Nov 6, 2007
Are you in the goon chat channel? I can power you through some aa's really quick to get at least that much sorted out. I'm Landrice in game.

/autojoin serverwide.gchat:fygm

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Medullah posted:

I would definitely use a tank mercenary. It's just so nice not having to worry about keeping aggro on multi-pulls, even if you were able to tank as well as your merc (you don't). You'll want the 71 to be the tank merc, since better damage/tanking will take you a lot further than better healing. Don't be too sad about being out-DPSed by your merc until you've gotten AAed out a bit (a lot?) - with a L65 weapon at level 69, my SK puts out about 50% the threat of the tank merc on single targets, plus the tank notices adds immediately and picks them up, etc...

As far as low level spells, I don't think you're missing much. You'll want to pick up some of them for practicing spellcasting, e.g. resist cold to practice abjuration so you can cast feign, etc. Flip through the SK spell list on Allakhazam to see if there's anything you think you want. Note that the low level feign gets replaced by one that fails less. There might be a lower level ATK buff that hasn't been replaced yet by 71, I think I still have that memorized. Maybe you'll want the invis spells, but those get replaced by AAs.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone have a Blade of Carnage, Cowl of Mortality, and the Mithril plate items they can testcopy over? I wanna make a warrior twink for some strange reason.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Dubious posted:

Does anyone have a Blade of Carnage, Cowl of Mortality, and the Mithril plate items they can testcopy over? I wanna make a warrior twink for some strange reason.

I'm pretty sure I have one, if not both of the Mithril Plate Boots/Gaunts on Test. I'll check today.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
I also feel particularily lucky that for twinks, I still have a pair of 6 AC 65 HP velium rings that can be duped over and over. It was a sad day when those got removed from the recipe list.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Dubious posted:

I can hook you up with a few nice items like a Lammy, RBB and more. I'm Zliz in game if you're online.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Every account has 17 of the 19 expansions, and you get both of the new ones when you buy rain of fear.

Playing on test does sound like a good deal now, although the new Kronos item has made it easy to play my one account on a normal server for free. They sell for about 200-250k platinum on cazic, which is pretty easy for a high level character to make in 30 days.

napster of meat
Nov 12, 2000

Dubious posted:

I have a bunch of Cowls sitting around and I'll even send you a full set of the highest level defiant including weapons and shield. What's your character name?

Flarestar
Dec 23, 2005
Diesel Powered Robot Panda
So is pretty much everyone playing on Test now, or do we still have a bunch active on Luclin?

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!
Anyone able to make Abstruse armor for a monk? Or copy some over? Need head, arms, back, shoulders, wrists, hands and boots.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

of SA-Mart forever

Dubious posted:

I also have several Cowls that I would be happy to give you, but it looks like you are already set in that department.

Any chance that anyone could copy a BoC for me? Never owned one and I am keen to try a ranger. I would also love a Cloak of Flames simply for the reason that I have killed Sev/Talendor 30+ times and never had one drop, even though supposedly they can from both of those pricks.

Fake Edit: Oh, just remembered... I actually have a White Dragonscale Cloak (the White Dragon Skin still drops, but it is *very* rare) on one of my Luclin mules. Took me a long time to find out how to do the "new" quest for it, but it is droppable, non-attuning, and fantastic for any priest/int-caster until the low 60s (has improved damage on all nukes up until 60, which is rare in lower-level gear). My (now) 81 wizard wore it for a long time (relatively speaking) and I would be happy to duplicate it for anyone who fancies it.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

I also have several Cowls that I would be happy to give you, but it looks like you are already set in that department.

Any chance that anyone could copy a BoC for me? Never owned one and I am keen to try a ranger. I would also love a Cloak of Flames simply for the reason that I have killed Sev/Talendor 30+ times and never had one drop, even though supposedly they can from both of those pricks.

Fake Edit: Oh, just remembered... I actually have a White Dragonscale Cloak (the White Dragon Skin still drops, but it is *very* rare) on one of my Luclin mules. Took me a long time to find out how to do the "new" quest for it, but it is droppable, non-attuning, and fantastic for any priest/int-caster until the low 60s (has improved damage on all nukes up until 60, which is rare in lower-level gear). My (now) 81 wizard wore it for a long time (relatively speaking) and I would be happy to duplicate it for anyone who fancies it.

I'll hook you up with a Cloak of Flames. Also, for anyone wanting monk/beastlord stuff, I have a pretty drat good assortment of monk twink poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

napster of meat posted:

I have a bunch of Cowls sitting around and I'll even send you a full set of the highest level defiant including weapons and shield. What's your character name?

I haven't made my warrior yet, but my main on Test is Jhelora.