Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

Mad Dean posted:

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
Dear Esther
Home
Machinarium
The Chzo/John Defoe games Yahtzee made were pretty fun. http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

Dear Esther isn't a game and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. :mad:
Home has the worst spoiler and thus is a very bad game in my opinion: The creator purposefully did not give the game a satisfying ending just to see what people would do with it. The outcome of this is there is no satisfying ending. It's a non-mystery.
And the Chzo games are basically the opposite of 'easy adventure games', I was going to offer them as a joke :) but yes, they are fun.

I'd *almost* recommend Resonance, as the puzzles are mostly very intuitive and you can always ask the NPC next to you for ideas. One of the only adventure games I got through without a guide, but the puzzle box in the middle was needlessly challenging.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Fangz posted:

To the Moon? Kentucky Route Zero is also possibly something good to check out.

I don't know why I haven't played To The Moon yet. But I should definitely get around to it. Kentucky Route Zero looks, well, interesting.

Mad Dean posted:

Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery
Dear Esther
Home
Machinarium
The Chzo/John Defoe games Yahtzee made were pretty fun. http://www.fullyramblomatic.com/games.htm

Not too seem ungrateful, but Machinarium is the opposite of what I want really. From what I could tell, it was just puzzle puzzle puzzle.

Evilreaver posted:

Dear Esther isn't a game and I'll fight anyone who says otherwise. :mad:
Home has the worst spoiler and thus is a very bad game in my opinion: The creator purposefully did not give the game a satisfying ending just to see what people would do with it. The outcome of this is there is no satisfying ending. It's a non-mystery.
And the Chzo games are basically the opposite of 'easy adventure games', I was going to offer them as a joke :) but yes, they are fun.

I'd *almost* recommend Resonance, as the puzzles are mostly very intuitive and you can always ask the NPC next to you for ideas. One of the only adventure games I got through without a guide, but the puzzle box in the middle was needlessly challenging.

Resonance looks really cool, setting and style wise. I'm not against one hard puzzle. I think I'll try this next.

Thanks all.

Guydoingthis
May 24, 2010

Forgedbow posted:

This is a little less than main-stream, but try Tokyo Jungle on PS3 network. I can vouch, with some loose expectations, it is a absolute blast as a co-op mania fun time thing. It's a split-screen, hack-n-slash survival, big on fun light on rpg type of game.

Oh man, I had no idea that game was split-screen co-op. Gonna give it a good look; thanks!

Leper Residue posted:

Can anyone recommend some real easy adventure games? Nothing like Myst, but more story driven ones. I just recently finished The Cat Lady thanks to the horror thread, and while rough around the edges I found myself really enjoying it.

And by easy, I mean like The walking dead easy (which I played and loved). Even on The Cat Lady I had to look up some solutions a few times. Stuff like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island I always get frustrated with.

In addition to what others have suggested, if you're looking for a focus on story you could look into the Ace Attorney series. The puzzles are (sometimes!) pretty intuitive and the story is fantastically told through the whole series. Loads of fun. I believe there are also spoiler-free solutions guides floating around if you get stuck and just want the story payoff.

VVVVVV I dunno, I only recall a few instances between the games where I couldn't work out something myself. v:shobon:v Your mileage may vary, I suppose!

Guydoingthis fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Jan 18, 2013

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Guydoingthis posted:

In addition to what others have suggested, if you're looking for a focus on story you could look into the Ace Attorney series. The puzzles are (usually) pretty intuitive and the story is fantastically told through the whole series. Loads of fun. I believe there are also spoiler-free solutions guides floating around if you get stuck and just want the story payoff.

I can say many good things about Ace Attorney, but that their puzzles make sense is a pretty tall one. As much as I love them, my experience is usually split in half between "How the hell did they expect me to present that at that statement?" and "What the hell, I know this is the right solution, just take the drat answer!"

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Leper Residue posted:

Can anyone recommend some real easy adventure games? Nothing like Myst, but more story driven ones. I just recently finished The Cat Lady thanks to the horror thread, and while rough around the edges I found myself really enjoying it.

And by easy, I mean like The walking dead easy (which I played and loved). Even on The Cat Lady I had to look up some solutions a few times. Stuff like Grim Fandango and Monkey Island I always get frustrated with.

To The Moon is the obvious answer; I'm surprised it hasn't been mentioned yet unless it's because the "puzzles" are a magnitude of difficulty easier than TWD, basically negating its game status.

McNagah
Dec 28, 2012
I just recently finished Xenoblade Chronicles and loved it a lot, and it made me decide I want to play more JRPGs. Which other newcomer JRPGs would you recommend me to play? The other JRPGs I have played are Final Fantasy IV, which I disliked, and Chrono Trigger, which I liked a lot but I have not finished it yet.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

McNagah posted:

I just recently finished Xenoblade Chronicles and loved it a lot, and it made me decide I want to play more JRPGs. Which other newcomer JRPGs would you recommend me to play? The other JRPGs I have played are Final Fantasy IV, which I disliked, and Chrono Trigger, which I liked a lot but I have not finished it yet.

If you want another amazing Wii JRPG, go get The Last Story. A general idea of which consoles you have would help a lot with recommending JRPG's though.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

McNagah posted:

It depends a lot on what you didn't like about FF4, but you can always take Final Fantasy VI for a spin. It's 8 bucks off the Wii's Virtual Console. I would definitely second The Last Story as well.

Artix fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Jan 20, 2013

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
If you want a drat good JRPG, I'd recommend the Goon-made Exit Fate, because holy poo poo it's a great game. If you can tolerate a little bit of RPG Maker, I'd also recommend his Last Scenario (Exit Fate has had most of the guts torn out and recoded so it barely resembles RPG Maker) because it is also an excellent game.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

McNagah posted:

Which consoles do you have, and what did you like about Xenoblade/dislike about FFIV? The Wii is pretty anemic for JRPGs, The Last Story is the only one that comes to mind, but it's not very similar to Xenoblade at all.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

PTizzle posted:

Her favourite games of all time are Thief 1/2, Settlers 2, Age of Empires 2, Caesar 3 and GTAIV.

Perhaps she might enjoy something from Tropico series? If she doesn't, have her jailed!

Leper Residue posted:

Can anyone recommend some real easy adventure games?

If you're willing to dip into interactive fiction, Photopia by Adam Cadre is a good, story-intensive, written adventure with few puzzles.

McNagah
Dec 28, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want another amazing Wii JRPG, go get The Last Story. A general idea of which consoles you have would help a lot with recommending JRPG's though.

That would be a good idea. I have a PS2, a Wii, a xbox 360, a PC (Laptop), a Playstation, and an old SNES. I would rather not buy anything for my PSX and SNES though.

Artix74 posted:

It depends a lot on what you didn't like about FF4, but you can always take Final Fantasy VI for a spin. It's 8 bucks off the Wii's Virtual Console. I would definitely second The Last Story as well.

I did not enjoy how simple the combat was in Final Fantasy IV. I also felt the combat was slow and sluggish too. Also I really despise random encounters, although I am willing to tolerate them. Another thing I disliked about the game was how the world map felt bland. I would rather have the map design as an area, or just instantly taking me there without having to move there.

Cake Attack posted:

Which consoles do you have, and what did you like about Xenoblade/dislike about FFIV? The Wii is pretty anemic for JRPGs, The Last Story is the only one that comes to mind, but it's not very similar to Xenoblade at all.
Xenoblade combat system however was excellent for me. I felt like it had a better pacing, and you could do more to gain a chance to succeed in a battle. Also I enjoyed that you can avoid random encounters. Another aspect I enjoyed too was the day / night system and how every area would change depending on what the environment was like. Adding skill points to my character was an extra plus too, and it felt like I had more in control of my characters instead of the game choosing a per-determined path.

Also I will give The Last Story and Exit Fate a look at, maybe Final Fantasy VI too.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

McNagah posted:

That would be a good idea. I have a PS2, a Wii, a xbox 360, a PC (Laptop), a Playstation, and an old SNES. I would rather not buy anything for my PSX and SNES though.

I did not enjoy how simple the combat was in Final Fantasy IV. I also felt the combat was slow and sluggish too. Also I really despise random encounters, although I am willing to tolerate them. Another thing I disliked about the game was how the world map felt bland. I would rather have the map design as an area, or just instantly taking me there without having to move there.

Yeah, you can skip FF6 then. How do you feel about real-time vs. turn-based? Tales of Symphonia (GC), Vesperia (360), and Abyss (PS2, but you should really get it for the 3DS if you have the option) might be something you enjoy. There are no random encounters (the enemies are blobs you can see and avoid on the map, but you don't know what enemies they have until you engage them), combat is fast paced and real-time, and they'll last you a good while with New Game+. If you're more of a turn-based guy, Persona 3: FES and Persona 4 sound like they'd be something you enjoy, and if you like those, you can move on to other SMT games like Digital Devil Saga, Nocturne, or the Raidou games.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Alright, so, I'm basically looking for a game where you're a patrol boat in the rivers of Vietnam.
Already played the Battlefield games so no need to mention them.

I'll even settle for a scripted mission in a game where you just man the guns.

And of course, preferably on the PC.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
WW2 fighter combat / bomber combat games. If it can be played with a mouse, that's the best, but I do have a joystick. I've tried Damage, Inc. and already play War Thunder and World of Warplanes, I'm just looking for more.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Any games that are a bit like Dwarf Fortress, but just ever so slightly easier? I like the micromanagement, but all the systems it dumps on you at once (army-raising, food-growing, city-planning etc.) can get a bit overwhelming. Just something that does a couple of those things is fine.

e: doesn't have to be ascii based, but roguelike-likes are preferred.

Geektox fucked around with this message at 08:16 on Jan 21, 2013

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
I've been bored lately and I'm looking for a good PC RPG. I'm preferably looking for something that has a decent story and really good character interaction. If the combat system isn't the best, that doesn't matter. Some of my favorite modern RPGs are The Witcher, The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins. I haven't played a lot of classic RPGs, but I'm wary to go to some due to the fact I'm not looking for too much complexity. Some is fine, but I don't want to be bogged down by it.

So yeah, looking for an RPG. Modern or classic. Preferably third person action style ala Witcher 2. Looking for good story and lots of character interactions but not too much combat complexity. Would prefer stuff without party management, but not writing it off. I would prefer something more like The Witcher 2 than Dragon Age: Origins or Baldur's Gate.

EDIT: I also own Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 (picked them both up in a steam sale recently). Would these games fit what I'm looking for? I have no experience with either of them.

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jan 21, 2013

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
edit: Disregard, misread the post.

PopetasticPerson
Jun 18, 2006
If anyone can tell me a game that could legitimately be described as 'europa universalis in space' then I'll go ahead and cede them the rights to my first born child.

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!

Mordiceius posted:

I've been bored lately and I'm looking for a good PC RPG. I'm preferably looking for something that has a decent story and really good character interaction. If the combat system isn't the best, that doesn't matter. Some of my favorite modern RPGs are The Witcher, The Witcher 2, Dragon Age: Origins. I haven't played a lot of classic RPGs, but I'm wary to go to some due to the fact I'm not looking for too much complexity. Some is fine, but I don't want to be bogged down by it.

So yeah, looking for an RPG. Modern or classic. Preferably third person action style ala Witcher 2. Looking for good story and lots of character interactions but not too much combat complexity. Would prefer stuff without party management, but not writing it off. I would prefer something more like The Witcher 2 than Dragon Age: Origins or Baldur's Gate.

EDIT: I also own Divine Divinity and Divinity 2 (picked them both up in a steam sale recently). Would these games fit what I'm looking for? I have no experience with either of them.

Seeing as you liked Dragon Age: Origins, have you played the games that it is considered a spiritual successor to, the Baldur's Gate series? There is party management, but every single one of my playthroughs of Baldur's Gate II was solo. The game becomes more difficult and you miss out on party dialogue and quests, but it's perfectly doable. And for a game that can take over 100 hours to finish, lack of content is certainly not a problem.

Unfortunately there aren't many RPGs that can claim to have a decent story and third person action gameplay. You can try the Gothic (1 & 2) and Two Worlds series, but the gameplay for those can be hit or miss. The KotOR games definitely hit the mark when it comes to story, and they are in third person, but you may find the combat less than adequate.

Other games on the DA:O side of things include the Neverwinter Nights series, particularly Mask of the Betrayer; and older RPGs like Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale, the latter which is more combat focused.

You may also want to check out Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. It hits all the right notes in combat, being the first game to use the Source engine (and with the option of third person), as well as story and character interaction. It's a little more linear than the games you mentioned, though. There's some deal of exploration, as most of the game happens in various areas of Los Angeles, but the story itself is linear and relatively short (~20 hours or so with side quests).

Deus Ex and Deus Ex: Human Revolution may also do the trick. They're less RPG-ish and more gameplay/story driven, though.

Think of Divine Divinity as Diablo with more story and humor. If that sounds appealing to you, you may want to check out Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura. Lots of content and character interaction, great story, decent at best combat. It's by the now defunct Troika, responsible for VtM: Bloodlines. Divinity 2 is more of a MMORPG in gameplay, and has (in my opinion) pretty bad combat; it may still be worth checking out.

There are many other games to list. It just depends on how far from "decent story" or "third person action" you are willing to go.

Liberatore fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Jan 21, 2013

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

I'd definitely check out Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II and Alpha Protocol. While the former is turn-based, I still enjoyed the combat, and it has a great story that's not what you'd expect from a Star Wars game. And the latter is third-person action, though the combat is pretty hit-or-miss. The character interactions are superb, though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Fallout New Vegas is awesome too, skipped my mind that it could be played in third-person :downs: Good interactions and combat there as well.

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Jan 21, 2013

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mordiceius posted:

Arcanum is an older game but an excellent PC RPG. The combat isn't the best (never use the real-time option), but you said that doesn't really bother you, and the depth of character choice and interaction is incredible. There are a lot of different choices you can make not just in dialog but also in building your character, and the dialog will reflect almost all of them at some point (not just dialog-based stats like charisma either - although those are obviously more commonly used). The setting is also very unique too - it's basically your standard D&D/Tolkien fantasy world, except set in the industrial revolution rather than the middle ages. You can get it off of GoG and as far as I know it should have no problems running.

Also along that vein are the original Fallout games, which are kind of obvious but I figured I'd mention them anyway since you mentioned not playing too many classics. Worth checking out as well is Fallout: New Vegas, which gameplay-wise is more action oriented, but the writing is very good and it was done by a lot of the people behind the original games (unlike Fallout 3 which was made entirely by Bethesda - for New Vegas they were just the publishers).

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Is there a reason we are avoiding mentioning the Mass Effect series, because despite all the fuss they are good games.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

SquadronROE posted:

WW2 fighter combat / bomber combat games. If it can be played with a mouse, that's the best, but I do have a joystick. I've tried Damage, Inc. and already play War Thunder and World of Warplanes, I'm just looking for more.

Wings of Prey is pretty good. There are a ton of missions and planes. There's a demo on steam of the tutorial and some of the Battle of Britain missions. You can even adjust the game to make iy more realistic or more arcade like.

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Mordiceius posted:

Try the Game of Thrones (RPG, not Genesis). It received very mixed reviews when it came out, but having played it I can assure the problems are by and far cosmetic in nature, ie sometimes rough graphics, bad voice acting, things like that. If you can look at The Witcher or Dragon Age: Origins, then it should look just fine. The story and gameplay are quite solid, even if there's not a lot of inter-party interactions.

Yar The Pirate
Feb 19, 2012

Geektox posted:

Any games that are a bit like Dwarf Fortress, but just ever so slightly easier? I like the micromanagement, but all the systems it dumps on you at once (army-raising, food-growing, city-planning etc.) can get a bit overwhelming. Just something that does a couple of those things is fine.

I gave up on Dwarf Fortress and decided to try out Gnomoria instead. I'm having a much better time with it and it's only around $8 either through the dev or Desura. There's a demo available on the developer's website if you're unsure.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

OptimusShr posted:

Wings of Prey is pretty good. There are a ton of missions and planes. There's a demo on steam of the tutorial and some of the Battle of Britain missions. You can even adjust the game to make iy more realistic or more arcade like.

I've actually got a copy of that and have played several hours. I think I might go back to it and play around some more. I got turned off by how few aircraft there were to fly during the campaign. Really, though, I just want a modern version of Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Deakul posted:

Alright, so, I'm basically looking for a game where you're a patrol boat in the rivers of Vietnam.
Already played the Battlefield games so no need to mention them.

I'll even settle for a scripted mission in a game where you just man the guns.

And of course, preferably on the PC.

I only know the odd boat level unfortunately but here's a few leads.

Call of Duty: Black Ops has one boat mission in Vietnam, you have full control of the boat as far as I remember.

A bit older but apparently Vietcong and Conflict: Vietnam have a boat level, but I've never played them personally.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Geektox posted:

Seconding Gnomoria for graphics, ease, and still having Gnome Home Management.

Count Mippipopolous
Apr 10, 2008

Are there any good wizard centric rpgs out there? One in which you can research spells, battle other wizards, maybe have an apprentice and build wizard things like golems? Basically I'm looking for the wizard stronghold quest in Baldurs Gate II fleshed out into a full game.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
There was a kickstarter about an Ars Magika adaptation that was very similar to what you're asking for, but unfortunately it fell flat. Maybe the guys at Black Chicken Studios will give it another shot. You can also try Academagia, by the same guys, very complex and replayable. It's basically "Harry Potter: The Very Complex Choose Your Own Adventure". Here, have a Let's Play. and see if you like it.

Magicka, maybe? It has four wizards, several elements that you combine to form about 300 spells (which in turn influence how other spells act) and everyplayer is expected to die about twice a minute, generally because the other players.

My own question now:

A couple of years ago I came across a short game (as in "you could finish it in 10 minutes" short). You and some random dude from the Internet guide two guys (an Eskimo and a Tuareg, IIRC) through several screens, with some light platforming. The catch is that only you can see all the obstacles in the other guy's path, and vice versa, so some sort of communication is needed. You cannot talk to each other in any way, the only way to get a message across is by moving your little guys arms and head.

I can't remember for the life of me how is it called, and google isn't helping.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Urdnot Fire posted:

I'd definitely check out Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II and Alpha Protocol. While the former is turn-based, I still enjoyed the combat, and it has a great story that's not what you'd expect from a Star Wars game. And the latter is third-person action, though the combat is pretty hit-or-miss. The character interactions are superb, though.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Fallout New Vegas is awesome too, skipped my mind that it could be played in third-person :downs: Good interactions and combat there as well.

I guess I'm being a bit picky because honestly I'd prefer something like Alpha Protocol in a fantasy setting. I want to have cool character interaction like Alpha Protocol or Mass Effect (yes, I know AP does it better than ME) but then be able to go out and just mindlessly swing swords at orks.

People have mentioned Two Worlds and Risen. Do those have any character interaction or is it just a boring quest-based hack and slash game.

I've been watching the Persona 4 endurance run over on Giant Bomb and I loving love how much character interaction is in that game.

I wish I could have a game with as much character interaction as Persona 4 and then breaks to go kill poo poo like in Witcher 2. Someone make this please.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Count Mippipopolous posted:

Are there any good wizard centric rpgs out there? One in which you can research spells, battle other wizards, maybe have an apprentice and build wizard things like golems? Basically I'm looking for the wizard stronghold quest in Baldurs Gate II fleshed out into a full game.

Geneforge is somewhat close.

I guess it's maybe cheating to mention mods/modules, but if you have Neverwinter Nights, the Almraiven/Shadewood series provides an absolutely fantastic wizardy experience, focusing on experiments, diplomacy and problem solving. I've never felt so wizard.

mune
Sep 23, 2006
I'm looking for a game - PC, X360, Wii, PS3, that is very similar to Dragon's Dogma. I can't say what I preferred the most - the real-time combat, the minimal party management (but still having a party!), the general open-world atmosphere, but I loving loved everything about this game. I've played it to death and am looking for something that's a similar experience. Graphics aren't terribly important, and I don't really care about stories to games, I just like good game mechanics and fun.

VVVV Thanks V for Vegas, I'll check it out.

mune fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 22, 2013

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

mune posted:

I'm looking for a game - PC, X360, Wii, PS3, that is very similar to Dragon's Dogma. I can't say what I preferred the most - the real-time combat, the minimal party management (but still having a party!), the general open-world atmosphere, but I loving loved everything about this game. I've played it to death and am looking for something that's a similar experience. Graphics aren't terribly important, and I don't really care about stories to games, I just like good game mechanics and fun.

Dragon's Dogma was most often compared to the Gothic games when it came out. Specifically Gothic II which is awesome. Only drawbacks are you don't have a party and it can be pretty hard. But the mechanics are fantastic once you get into it.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hopefully this isn't out of place here, I was just wondering if you could recommend some mods for Mount & Blade and Mount & Blade: Warband

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

RillAkBea posted:

I only know the odd boat level unfortunately but here's a few leads.

Call of Duty: Black Ops has one boat mission in Vietnam, you have full control of the boat as far as I remember.

A bit older but apparently Vietcong and Conflict: Vietnam have a boat level, but I've never played them personally.

Might have to continue playing Vietcong if that's the case and I'll check out Conflict too.
Unfortunately, my PC sucks too much to play BLOPs.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I just rewatched Apocalypse Now so I have a real hankering for some PT boat action.

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Deakul posted:

Might have to continue playing Vietcong if that's the case and I'll check out Conflict too.
Unfortunately, my PC sucks too much to play BLOPs.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I just rewatched Apocalypse Now so I have a real hankering for some PT boat action.
Well, if you don't mind dicking around with DOSBOX, you could give Gunboat a spin. I haven't played this in a while, but it's a pretty simple, PBR action game where you drive down some rivers and get shot at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8di0AZfRBI
(That videos from the PCEngine version, the DOS version is much smoother and a bit cleaner looking.)

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I've been playing a lot of Elder Sign: Omens on my phone lately and it's kind of got me interested in looking for a good Lovecraftian RPG (PC is preferred, but any platform is good). It doesn't have to be literally Lovecraft based - anything with that kind of style is fine. Something squad based as opposed to solo would also be nice, but I have no idea if a game like that even exists. I've played Call of Cthulhu: The Wasted Land (also iOS) which was pretty good, but it was also pretty easy to make it through that game without losing anyone, even on hard.

I'm not really looking for something like Amnesia: The Dark Descent, since while I do like that game, I really want an RPG. Something that has characters with individual strengths that I can build on and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Are there any good games where I could control a capital-size starship (preferrably with a joystick and throttle) that don't involve the letter 'X' and a number after it?