Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skam
Jan 6, 2008

LastInLine posted:

I should point out that ES's UI is going to change significantly soon. The invite-only beta works entirely differently so I wouldn't spend that much time trying to get it exactly the way you want.

That said, I find it far preferable to be able to swipe right to left and see all my network locations at once than to hit the Favorites button way over on the hardest to hit spot on the screen and find what I want in a mixed list of resources.

Thanks

In the mean time i have set up plex, its fantastic so far for media streaming, nice easy layout and well organized as well as supporting every file format i have tried (although 1080p stutters, i think that is probably my wifi)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."
What is the current favorite for a Launcher replacement app? I'm currently using LauncherPro (and paid for the Plus version...) but it seems that the developer abandoned it and is no longer updating it or doing bug fixes. I really like how it's app drawer works though (one long vertically scrollable list instead of side-swiping through pages) and I'd like a launcher with something similar if one exists.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:

StickFigs posted:

What is the current favorite for a Launcher replacement app? I'm currently using LauncherPro (and paid for the Plus version...) but it seems that the developer abandoned it and is no longer updating it or doing bug fixes. I really like how it's app drawer works though (one long vertically scrollable list instead of side-swiping through pages) and I'd like a launcher with something similar if one exists.
I think more people here lean towards Nova, but I've been using Apex and really like it.

You can set up your app drawer as a vertical page on Apex and I would assume on Nova, too.

BluDiE
Jan 2, 2008

Don't you get it?!?
Everybody loses, now
THAT's WINNING!

Capt. Morgan posted:

I've been using Unified Remote, the free version allows controlling the mouse.

Seconding UR. It's really quite handy. Frequent updates as well.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

StickFigs posted:

I like GO Launcher myself. Granted, I started using it right when I got my phone like a year and a half ago, got my layout the way I liked it, and never looked into alternatives. But there are cool things that GO Launcher does and does really easily. I wouldn't be surprised if much of what it does is done just as well in other launchers, but I do recommend giving it a try.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

StickFigs posted:

I switched from Launcher Pro to Nova. I bought the pro for it, but don't actually like any of the features that it adds. Basic free Nova lets you have scrolling dock pad with 5 buttons. I never do a ton to my launcher, so this is nice minimal with that added feature as far as I can tell.

Apex and Go like mentioned, are usually the other popular ones. Maybe trebuchet(sp?) if your on cm/root.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011
HI, I'M HARDCORE SAX HERE TO DROP A NICE JUICY TURD OF A POST FROM UP ON HIGH
What is the best photo retouching app so I can easily fix the awful pictures the Gnex takes?

Studebaker Hawk
May 22, 2004

az jan jananam posted:

What is the best photo retouching app so I can easily fix the awful pictures the Gnex takes?

Snapseed is great, free and uses nik software engine

UraniumAnchor
May 21, 2006

Not a walrus.
Huge thread so I apologize if this has been covered, but what are some recommendations for an AIM client? The official one looks pretty bad. I use Pidgin/Adium on my desktops, so something similar to that would be nice.

StickFigs
Sep 5, 2004

"It's time to choose."

deong posted:

I switched from Launcher Pro to Nova. I bought the pro for it, but don't actually like any of the features that it adds. Basic free Nova lets you have scrolling dock pad with 5 buttons. I never do a ton to my launcher, so this is nice minimal with that added feature as far as I can tell.

Apex and Go like mentioned, are usually the other popular ones. Maybe trebuchet(sp?) if your on cm/root.

I have trebuchet but it's pretty bare bones. I think I'll try Nova, thanks for the recommendations all.

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Studebaker Hawk posted:

I use Snapseed as well, although the huge amount of wasted space in the UI drives me crazy every time I use it. Other than that, it's great.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

UraniumAnchor posted:

Huge thread so I apologize if this has been covered, but what are some recommendations for an AIM client? The official one looks pretty bad. I use Pidgin/Adium on my desktops, so something similar to that would be nice.

Trillian is probably your best bet here.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

az jan jananam posted:

I've been playing with Pixlr Express, which has a lot of decent editing tools, but the built-in Gallery editor with 4.2 is pretty ok in a pinch (the Sharpen tool is hosed up though, I get some weird sensor pattern and there's no radius adjustment to try and tweak it)

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Essobie posted:

I like GO Launcher myself. Granted, I started using it right when I got my phone like a year and a half ago, got my layout the way I liked it, and never looked into alternatives. But there are cool things that GO Launcher does and does really easily. I wouldn't be surprised if much of what it does is done just as well in other launchers, but I do recommend giving it a try.

If you're on ICS or JB you should check out some others. GO is what I've always used until recently, I found almost all the cool stuff I liked in GO in Apex launcher and Apex is lots faster. But ICS+ only. Gingerbread I'd say stick with GO, it's a little slow but it has lots of features.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Studebaker Hawk posted:

Is there an app that's a good photo editor for dummies like me whom Snapseed confuses the hell out of? I really just want some basic stuff, like Picasa's auto-editing stuff.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

hooah posted:

Is there an app that's a good photo editor for dummies like me whom Snapseed confuses the hell out of? I really just want some basic stuff, like Picasa's auto-editing stuff.

Try Pixlr Express or Pixlr-o-Matic?

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Arcsech posted:

Trillian is probably your best bet here.

Unless they've overhauled it, Trillian's interface is pretty awful. Personally, I prefer imo. They've tried rebranding it as a WhatsApp-style chat app, but it still has good multi-protocol chat support.

Essobie
Jan 31, 2003

WHAT? THIS IS MY REGULAR SPEAKING VOICE.
Is this better?

Wagonburner posted:

If you're on ICS or JB you should check out some others. GO is what I've always used until recently, I found almost all the cool stuff I liked in GO in Apex launcher and Apex is lots faster. But ICS+ only. Gingerbread I'd say stick with GO, it's a little slow but it has lots of features.

I just recently put ICS on my phone (and rooted it because it turned out to be trivial), so I may do that. But as I said before... I kind of got everything the way I like it now. But yeah... if I get bored this coming weekend I'll look into Nova. Thanks.

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

sleepwalkers posted:

Unless they've overhauled it, Trillian's interface is pretty awful. Personally, I prefer imo. They've tried rebranding it as a WhatsApp-style chat app, but it still has good multi-protocol chat support.

There's also the option of just adding your AIM contacts to your GTalk buddy list and using the built-in Talk client, since the two networks are interoperable now. You'll have to warn your AIM buddies that messages will now be coming from your GTalk ID, but other than that it should be pretty painless.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

Capt. Morgan posted:

I've been using Unified Remote, the free version allows controlling the mouse.

This works better than I expected, thanks! :)

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
drat, Unified Remote looks great. Can't believe I haven't gotten it earlier.

e: drat, and Netflix? Awesome.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

UraniumAnchor posted:

AOL apps are just terribad. I was about to strike up a question about a replacement client strictly for managing AOL mail.

After recording my mom's phone data usage, it turns out the "data hog" was a program called K-9 Mail, some ad-supported freebie that my mom had installed because her Gingerbread mail client was inexplicably unable to properly handle her AOL account. So far, I've got the K-9 Mail client under my thumb with one of those data manager apps that will not allow it to function without being connected to Wi-Fi. But, I'd rather just get rid of it. I tried getting the stock mail client to work, but nobody here, at Verizon, Samsung or Google can figure out why it's happening.

Any free mail client for AOL or whatever manner of mail they use, POP3 or something? one that WON'T gobble data like Rick James's nose gobbled cocaine?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Jeff Goldblum posted:

AOL apps are just terribad. I was about to strike up a question about a replacement client strictly for managing AOL mail.

After recording my mom's phone data usage, it turns out the "data hog" was a program called K-9 Mail, some ad-supported freebie that my mom had installed because her Gingerbread mail client was inexplicably unable to properly handle her AOL account. So far, I've got the K-9 Mail client under my thumb with one of those data manager apps that will not allow it to function without being connected to Wi-Fi. But, I'd rather just get rid of it. I tried getting the stock mail client to work, but nobody here, at Verizon, Samsung or Google can figure out why it's happening.

Any free mail client for AOL or whatever manner of mail they use, POP3 or something? one that WON'T gobble data like Rick James's nose gobbled cocaine?

That's weird. K-9 at least used to be one of the recommended email apps.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

hooah posted:

That's weird. K-9 at least used to be one of the recommended email apps.

It used to be good, yeah. Unfortunately, it got bloated, slow, and lovely a while back.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Studebaker Hawk posted:

This is really great, thanks.

az jan jananam
Sep 6, 2011

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Can you either forward AOL mail to her gmail account or fetch her email through POP3? She can still send emails under her AOL name under Gmail. Wikihow thinks it's possible. http://www.wikihow.com/Switch-from-AOL-to-Gmail

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

az jan jananam posted:

Can you either forward AOL mail to her gmail account or fetch her email through POP3? She can still send emails under her AOL name under Gmail. Wikihow thinks it's possible. http://www.wikihow.com/Switch-from-AOL-to-Gmail

I was about to suggest this. Gmail really is the way to go on Android if at all possible as the built-in client is very nice and is 'real' push mail (doesn't sit there idling an IMAP connection or whatever) so won't kill your data/battery/dog.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

Jeff Goldblum posted:

There must be a different version of this somewhere. I've been using K-9 since I got my first android G1 four or five years ago and I've never noticed any ads or any data hogging. It is based off the first version of "email" the non-gmail email client. Maybe it performs differently on different versions of android, but it works just fine for me on jelly bean.

ZombyWoof
Sep 7, 2012

beerinator posted:

There must be a different version of this somewhere. I've been using K-9 since I got my first android G1 four or five years ago and I've never noticed any ads or any data hogging. It is based off the first version of "email" the non-gmail email client. Maybe it performs differently on different versions of android, but it works just fine for me on jelly bean.

This. K9 Mail (http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/) has zero ads, and any data hogging is due to how you have it configured. To be fair I'm not sure how sane the defaults are with regards to syncing/push though so maybe it was just bad luck.

I'd love to see the UI refreshed though. It still looks the same it did a couple of years ago which is a real bummer.

beerinator
Feb 21, 2003

ZombyWoof posted:

This. K9 Mail (http://code.google.com/p/k9mail/) has zero ads, and any data hogging is due to how you have it configured. To be fair I'm not sure how sane the defaults are with regards to syncing/push though so maybe it was just bad luck.

I'd love to see the UI refreshed though. It still looks the same it did a couple of years ago which is a real bummer.

It would definitely be nice to see updates in the UI. Honestly, the only reason I still use it over the default email client is because K-9 has an easy "mark all as read" function. I get a lot of automated emails from one of my servers and like seeing the emails come in, but I don't need to actually open them regularly.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
oh hey. Look who updated their look.
Tasker Beta released completely revamped ui. And the beta is free for now.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!

deong posted:

oh hey. Look who updated their look.
Tasker Beta released completely revamped ui. And the beta is free for now.

Nice! I was just looking for information about this yesterday. Is it 4.0+ only like they said it probably would be?

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
gently caress Tasker, I'm going to have to sign up for a class to learn how to use this. Thought I'd be able to throw 15 minutes to understand it but this'll be the first app that I have no clue what I'm doing lol

Cruseydr
May 18, 2010

I am not an atomic playboy.

Lblitzer posted:

gently caress Tasker, I'm going to have to sign up for a class to learn how to use this. Thought I'd be able to throw 15 minutes to understand it but this'll be the first app that I have no clue what I'm doing lol

This thread is helpful!

Autographed Book
Aug 26, 2009

If you've got a big thirst and you're gay, reach for a cold, tall bottle of Schmitts Gay.
I just discovered Google killed their app to sync your Outlook calendar with your google account, and it's something I need for work. Do I have free options, or am I stuck paying for a google busniess account now?

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

Vykk.Draygo posted:

Nice! I was just looking for information about this yesterday. Is it 4.0+ only like they said it probably would be?

Yes, the new Tasker is 4.0+ only.

cash
Nov 28, 2007

Rehabilitated Road Bully
:rice:

bacon brewed beer posted:

I just discovered Google killed their app to sync your Outlook calendar with your google account, and it's something I need for work. Do I have free options, or am I stuck paying for a google busniess account now?

You can try downloading the samsung calendar app. It syncs both exchange and google calendar.

Or you can download a desktop app that syncs it. I cant remember the name but googling "google calender sync exchange client " will show you a few hits

Horn
Jun 18, 2004

Penetration is the key to success
College Slice

Lblitzer posted:

Have you tried llama? It's fairly easy to use and pretty powerful as well.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

(I'm not sure if this should go in the app thread or not, but I figure there's enough crossover)

I've got a question about the default gs3 calendar app. It's synced with my Facebook at the moment, but it shows ALL of my friends birthdays, which clogs up the widget. Is there any way to get it to only show events?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm having a problem with my wife's Nexus 7. I have a Plex media server and BubbleUPnP on her tablet. Whenever I go try to play an xvid file, the media player will launch, hang for a bit, and then exit back to BubbleUPnP. I've tried Moboplayer and MX Player and they both do it. Any h264 file I've tried seems ok and I'm able to stream the same files fine on my own tablet and phone with the same media players. Anyone have any ideas?

• Locked thread