Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Necroskowitz
Jan 20, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

You don't even have to skulk in the sewers. As long as you stick to the center, you can run straight down the middle of the streets with no problem.

Be careful if you do this as you run the risk of being really lame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
To be fair the game just didnt have enough time to accomodate Nosferatu very well the huge social element to the game runs completely counter to the nos playstyle and if they had more time to work on it i wouldnt have been suprised to see nosferatu forced to do stuff like rely on Mercurio for weapons until the warrens and social interactions changed up to be mainly if not entirely supernaturals.

The map design for the hubs just isnt very good really, its atmospheric as gently caress in all of them but in terms of interesting design for nosferatu movement its not very good.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Being inhumanly monstrous-looking does have the odd disadvantage, yes.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

azren posted:

I got around the "Unable to find Steam" message, and now I'm having a different error pop up; it says "Problem checking Steam application." Game runs fine in vanilla when I open it through steam, but mod doesn't appear.

...the hell?

I'm sorry to repeat this question, but does anyone have anything? It's driving me Malk.

(I don't say in the above post, but I'm trying to get CQM and Camerilla Mod to work).

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.
Good to know I wouldn't have to skulk, but it seems like its not worth it anyhow.

So the consensus on the clan mods stuff is that its worth the time? I seem to recall I saw a youtube clip of Damsel asking you to kill LaCroix which is something she might do, sure, but it struck me as a little.... yeah, there's a reason why the average gamer can't write good plot line for a game. Chances are equally good I didn't give it a real chance.

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

EightDeer posted:

The Tal'mahe'Ra blade you get the second time you defeat the Sabbat leader; its description text says it does aggravated damage. What does that actually do in terms of gameplay?

Also, a Ventrue PC has "easier acceptance into Camarilla society". Does that actually change anything, or is it just fluff?

I'm not entirely sure because I never play Ventrue, but I think that you get the Downtown haven sooner.

Adnachiel
Oct 21, 2012

Republican Vampire posted:

I'm not entirely sure because I never play Ventrue, but I think that you get the Downtown haven sooner.

That's tied to LaCroix's relationship stat. (I've looked through the game's dialogue files out of curiosity, and it has variable information in it.) During one playthrough as either a Malk or Toreador (can't remember), I kissed his rear end and did his missions exactly as he asked and I got the haven after the Elizabeth Dane. This was with a version of the unofficial patch installed.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I think that's the very soonest you can get it, yeah. It always struck me as kind of funny, since Heather will track you down outside of LaCroix's place and do her "I know you live over there, I'll be waiting" thing...but even if you're sucking up to LaCroix perfectly, he won't give you the apartment until immediately after that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Hey y'all, I'm trying to replay VtM:B on a Win7 laptop and am getting the 'failed to find steam' message. I've followed the advice from this tutorial but when I examine my Environmental Values function, I only have two TEMP values in the Variables for my_name box, no PATH variable. Any help?

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Click "New..." and then name the variable PATH and enter whatever you need to for it's value.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Would you say a Malkavian with Dominate would be a good thing to go for for a first time player?

I may or may not replay so I don't mind monkey cheese stuff as long as I can talk my way out of every confrontation and change people into vampires and poo poo.

I also don't really know how to spec my character.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Would you say a Malkavian with Dominate would be a good thing to go for for a first time player?

I may or may not replay so I don't mind monkey cheese stuff as long as I can talk my way out of every confrontation and change people into vampires and poo poo.

I also don't really know how to spec my character.

Malkavian would probably be a better second play through.
And they get Dementiate in this one, which is way cooler.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Well personally I find Dominate to be a bit redundant with Malkavians since they already get special Malkavian dialogue options that more or less achieve the same thing in all the same situations as Dominate. The end of the game is really combat heavy and it can be brutal if you aren't prepared for it. You could go either guns or melee and so long as you spec your character appropriately you shouldn't have much trouble with either. Others will probably have better advice than me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Malkavians have the perfect blend of abilities to deal with humans: Obfuscation makes you nigh invisible, dementation is very powerful both in dealing damage and crowd control.

Unfortunately, the most challenging fights are against supernatural beings which are usually resistant to these disciplines.

For these reasons, I'd recommend a different clan for your first run. Ventrues are sturdy and have the Dominate discipline which is - to be honest - identical to the dementation skillset. The Tremere have a fun discipline called thaumaturgy which makes them in my opinion the strongest clan in the game, especially against bosses - which may be an advantage to a new player, or seen as a game-breaking issue. These are probably the best clans for a diplomatic run, but not nearly as unique dialogue-wise as Malkavians.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Yeah Malkavians weird dialouge I think is better on a second run, you get more appreciation for it when you know what the "normal" one is.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Seconding Tremere for your first-time through which is what I did. Blood magic is useful throughout the whole game, especially Blood Shield which helped a lot in the sewers. Also I think you get access to the Downtown apartment faster because Max likes you more.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Yeah Malkavians weird dialouge I think is better on a second run, you get more appreciation for it when you know what the "normal" one is.

Also knowing what happens, you see how early they pick up on the various situations.

EDIT: I love this game, I should replay it.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Also knowing what happens, you see how early they pick up on the various situations.

EDIT: I love this game, I should replay it.

Hrm, this might actually sway me. I'm more inclined to not choose that race based on this reasoning that there is something that happens later on that makes it worth it.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Hrm, this might actually sway me. I'm more inclined to not choose that race based on this reasoning that there is something that happens later on that makes it worth it.

Yeah, Malkavians have their 6th sense thing. I'd play through as a non-Malkavian first, then play as one and see what they notice before the rest of the clans do. It works really well as a New Game+.

Also:

(I don't mean to use this to sway you to play a Malk, but as a taste of things for round 2.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

If I go Tremere, can I go all Neo Matrix or whatever? I still want to be able to take a diplomatic path but if all else fails do some weird blood magic and put a bullet in dude's heads. :black101:

Ventrue sounds like it'll be a pain not gaining nourishment off normal lovely humans.

Also history? drat There's too many vauge options.

edit: OOH is this like OG fallout where I can get retard responses if I don't have enough intelligence? :D

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Jan 21, 2013

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Ventrue sounds like it'll be a pain not gaining nourishment off normal lovely humans.

Most of the humans, in my experience, tend to be decent enough so that you won't need to worry.

As for histories, some good things about them is that they usually tell you exactly how they change you, and you can go back from the stat screen to change it if you don't like what you're being given.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Trojan Kaiju posted:

Most of the humans, in my experience, tend to be decent enough so that you won't need to worry.

As for histories, some good things about them is that they usually tell you exactly how they change you, and you can go back from the stat screen to change it if you don't like what you're being given.

Oh, actually, the Ventrue thing is a valid concern now that I think about it. Because there are only rats in the sewers.

Basically, no matter what clan you choose, you can gear your character towards any weapon type you choose, so yeah, you can be a gun-slinging, blood-spewing cyberpunk-goth.

I don't remember intelligence having effects on its own, but it's a pretty useful attribute to raise.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

GreenBuckanneer posted:

If I go Tremere, can I go all Neo Matrix or whatever? I still want to be able to take a diplomatic path but if all else fails do some weird blood magic and put a bullet in dude's heads. :black101:

edit: OOH is this like OG fallout where I can get retard responses if I don't have enough intelligence? :D
No, Tremere don't have Celerity, they are more than good enough without it though.

Word of advice though you're going to need a combat build if you're going to make it through the end-game, which is all fighting with very little other options. If you're going for diplomacy for most of the game stick with Persuade, its the most useful of the dialogue skills. Intimidate is alright and Seduction is kind of useless aside from free blood.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Toreador is the Neo clan, boost your Celerity and Auspex and you can zoom around headshotting in super slo-mo all day long. Tremere lets you wave your hand to cast magic blood bolts, drain blood from afar, shield yourself with blood, and at the highest and awesomest levels, just look at things to make them seize uncontrollably or loving explode :hellyeah: (And unlike many offensive disciplines, a lot of this stuff works on bosses!)

E: all the disciplines and their effects by rank

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Jan 21, 2013

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

McSpanky posted:

Toreador is the Neo clan, boost your Celerity and Auspex and you can zoom around headshotting in super slo-mo all day long.

Aside from my one Malkavian run, I don't think I've ever finished a game that wasn't toreador. Dodging bullets is just way too much fun.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Okay I think my install is hosed up, running UP+ and it seems that my cursor, while in the middle of the screen is "offcenter" while in third person. My character is oriented to the northeast, so to talk or interact in third person I have to face my player model to where I'm trying to interact instead, which makes it more than a little frustrating. I'm guessing this isn't normal?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
First run just pick Gangrel, drop your humanity to 0 and let the game play itself.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Androc posted:

Aside from my one Malkavian run, I don't think I've ever finished a game that wasn't toreador. Dodging bullets is just way too much fun.

I enjoyed the hell out of my Gangrel run. Max Fortitude, watch the bullets bounce off of you.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Nah, that picture's from a Malkavian run. Their clan is completely insane, albeit in various ways. The Malkavian PC hears whispers from unknown sources, hallucinates, and speaks in near-gibberish. However, they are also extremely prescient, and basically know the entire plot of the game, even though they don't know they know it; if you pay attention to the dialog they predict every single thing long before it happens. Sometimes the other characters catch on, and it's hilarious.

That's why they're better as a second playthrough clan; the first time everything will be confusing and weird, but after you've already beat it once and know what's coming, it's pretty great.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Roland Jones posted:

Nah, that picture's from a Malkavian run. Their clan is completely insane, albeit in various ways. The Malkavian PC hears whispers from unknown sources, hallucinates, and speaks in near-gibberish. However, they are also extremely prescient, and basically know the entire plot of the game, even though they don't know they know it; if you pay attention to the dialog they predict every single thing long before it happens. Sometimes the other characters catch on, and it's hilarious.

That's why they're better as a second playthrough clan; the first time everything will be confusing and weird, but after you've already beat it once and know what's coming, it's pretty great.

Best part of a Malk run is how every conversation with a new NPC starts the same and after you say something they all go "Oh christ, you're a malk aren't you?"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Athenry posted:

Best part of a Malk run is how every conversation with a new NPC starts the same and after you say something they all go "Oh christ, you're a malk aren't you?"

Ahahahaha, yes. All the vampires are extremely frustrated or exasperated by the prospect of talking with you, while most of the mortals think you're on drugs. It's so great.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I love the little dialogue bits that change around depending on your clan. Like how the Nosferatu primagen *really* hates you if you're a Toreador.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Athenry posted:

"What? Oh man, and you're a goddamned Malkavian too. You really are hosed!"

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

DeathChicken posted:

I love the little dialogue bits that change around depending on your clan. Like how the Nosferatu primagen *really* hates you if you're a Toreador.

LaCroix's dialogue if you're a Nosferatu is hilarious.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Roland Jones posted:

Yeah, a good chunk of the Malk foreshadowing stuff isn't very distinguishable from the crazy unless you already know what it's talking about from your first playthrough.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

The blood goddess returns.
1. Blood me.
2. Later.

Wow. This is hilarious.

edit:

Can Danielle do anything else other than being shipped off?

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jan 22, 2013

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

McSpanky posted:

Toreador is the Neo clan, boost your Celerity and Auspex and you can zoom around headshotting in super slo-mo all day long.

Androc posted:

I'm the same way, Toreador for life. I also just realized after my nth playthrough that the starting guns in this game are just outright unpleasant to use: the thirty-eight has this weirdly capped rate of fire that feels really artificial because there's no animation or other feedback to tell you when your next shot is ready, the pump shotgun requires you to fully reload the magazine all the way without being able to interrupt the animation/load one shell then fire plus it has a random spread, and the MAC-10 submachinegun veers wildly out of control after the fourth or fifth shot and the recoil takes too long to settle down. Firearms really only come into their own once you get the Glock and that's all the way in the second chapter. Compare that to melee, unarmed, and blood magic which kick rear end right out of the gate, don't have a monetary upkeep cost with ammo, and aren't as affected by the janky animations of jumping/lunging enemies which makes aiming difficult.

That said, Toreador becomes so worth it in the end when you can make enemies stand stock still while you disintegrate whole groups of vamps with 30 consecutive headshots from your AUG.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

Also no gun is as cool as the (early game melee weapon) severed arm.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Also no gun is as cool as the (early game melee weapon)

It's fair to say that I used that exclusively in the early game, and in any non-threatening combat situation I could. I only wish it got more of a reaction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If you don't play as a Malk dressed as a fireman and waving a fireaxe around, I don't know what to tell you. :colbert:

"I'm putting out the fire! It's in your FAAAAAAAAAACE!"

• Locked thread