Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Jacada posted:

This key has been taken, the lurker who decided to grab it didn't want to take the twenty seconds to let everyone else know. Thought I'd save everyone else half a minute trying to use it because I'm nice like that!
Yeah, I'd suggest only ever posting codes here, since it's only ever visible to Goons and thus decreases the chance of lurking a little. Or SteamGifts, which eliminates that threat completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?

Urdnot Fire posted:

Yeah, I'd suggest only ever posting codes here, since it's only ever visible to Goons and thus decreases the chance of lurking a little. Or SteamGifts, which eliminates that threat completely.

I put it in spoilers because I thought only registered users could see spoilers. Unless that was removed at some point anyway. Ah well.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Pakled posted:

So, Paradox just sent out a newsletter commemorating 500,000 members by giving away a free copy of EU3: Chronicles for Steam to all 500,000 of us. That's pretty nice of them.

Holy crap, I had already trashed the email without reading when I saw your post.

Thank you for this.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
Yeah I posted a code for Don't Starve and got e-mailed about it but still aren't sure if it was a goon or not so PM me for this code.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Galleys are only useful in Seas. The Mediterranean, Black Sea, Baltic Sea, and maybe the Channel are the only seas that actually count as seas. Maybe the Yellow Sea too? Outside of them, Galleys will always get eaten alive by Medium and Big ships, and play no real supporting role. Only use them if you're poor. Even in seas, they're still outclassed, but not by nearly as much, and they serve as a decent cost-efficient ship early on.

edit: Basically what I'm saying is that there are no ratios in naval combat. As far as I can tell, every ship is always in combat and there's no such thing as flanking or other such things. Naval combat is really basic, as far as I can tell. What matters most is having more cannons than the enemy.

For EU3 DW? Small ships matter in DW for sure; I never figured out the ratios but I know people who have and they only lost when the difference was in Admirals by a point of 1, its a little ridiculous because it means one side loses their entire navy and the other lost only 1 ship.

EU3 badly needs to have its tradition and naval system's severely rebalanced, I think back when for a single patch ships were massively expensive was probably the way to go.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Raenir Salazar posted:

For EU3 DW? Small ships matter in DW for sure; I never figured out the ratios but I know people who have and they only lost when the difference was in Admirals by a point of 1, its a little ridiculous because it means one side loses their entire navy and the other lost only 1 ship.

EU3 badly needs to have its tradition and naval system's severely rebalanced, I think back when for a single patch ships were massively expensive was probably the way to go.

They killed that because they couldn't rebalance the AI to account for it. England would go bankrupt and fall apart in just a few years solely from their (Rather large) starting navy.

Top Hats Monthly
Jun 22, 2011

People are people so why should it be, that you and I should get along so awfully blink blink recall STOP IT YOU POSH LITTLE SHIT
Chronicles! I remember how many manly tears I shed when I bought "complete", thank you paradox!

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I've never bought a Paradox game on Steam before, so I'd like to ask: How good is Steam with keeping the game up to date with beta patches, and how does it play with modding? I think I'd use my code myself if it guaranteed I'd never have to go into their tech support forums again. Not that there's anything wrong with their forums, but downloading and unpacking and installing the patches myself is a fair bit of effort I could do without.

Westminster System
Jul 4, 2009
Huh, I'm signed up for the newsletter but nada.

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
EU3 Chronicles Steam code: JF030-BV6IE-X2HIE Taken

When's EU4 due anyway? Also, I need another HOI that's good like 2 and not poo poo like 3. Get on it Paradox.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 21, 2013

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?
I remember EU II and how complex it was and I left it. I guess a free game is a good chance to try again. I'm getting all Civ V'd out! I'm hoping the diplomacy works better than Civ, where it's pretty useless (to me at least).

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Just used that key. Thanks GhostDog! I've been waiting for a chance to move past CK2 and further explore the Paradox Family of Products.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

GhostDog posted:

When's EU4 due anyway? Also, I need another HOI that's good like 2 and not poo poo like 3. Get on it Paradox.

Q3 2013 So this is a great way to get people hyped up for it.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

I've never bought a Paradox game on Steam before, so I'd like to ask: How good is Steam with keeping the game up to date with beta patches, and how does it play with modding? I think I'd use my code myself if it guaranteed I'd never have to go into their tech support forums again. Not that there's anything wrong with their forums, but downloading and unpacking and installing the patches myself is a fair bit of effort I could do without.

Steam keeps up to date with regular patches, but you still have to install beta patches the old-fashioned way (y'know, because they're still under development and not ready for general release and all that). Mods work fine, although launching EU3 from Steam launches the base game rather than the launcher, so you'll have to launch the launcher separately if you want to play a mod. Everything else I've tried (DH, Vic2, CK2) launches the launcher when launched from Steam, though.

Supeerme
Sep 13, 2010
As I already got Complete with Divine Wind attached I am willing to give my code to anyone who PM's me.

EDIT: Code sent!

Supeerme fucked around with this message at 18:11 on Jan 21, 2013

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

gradenko_2000 posted:

I have CK2 and DH on Steam and they're both fine. As Friend Commuter says, though, you do have to install beta patches yourself if you want to be at the bleeding edge of patches.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012
If someone PMs me they can get my extra copy as well, since I tried to go into the gift zone here but I can't figure out how you add cd-keys to steam gifts.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Lord Tywin posted:

If someone PMs me they can get my extra copy as well, since I tried to go into the gift zone here but I can't figure out how you add cd-keys to steam gifts.
You don't, you just email them or otherwise get them to the winner.

Pump it up! Do it!
Oct 3, 2012

Urdnot Fire posted:

You don't, you just email them or otherwise get them to the winner.

That explains it, well it will still take some time before I am accepted into the steam group so if anyone wants the game just send me a PM.

Berious
Nov 13, 2005
Just activated my EU3. Really nice of Paradox to give away the latest iteration of their flagship franchise.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

gradenko_2000 posted:

Not that there's anything wrong with their forums, but downloading and unpacking and installing the patches myself is a fair bit of effort I could do without.

Hey man, if you want to be at the bleeding edge, you gotta be willing to shed a bit of blood.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
I see they've decided to celebrate this new high in forum registration by having the forums crash entirely.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Gort posted:

Crusader Kings 2 also has this sound that accompanies 90% of the events that I wouldn't mind never hearing again...

CK2 sounds are in individual .wav files in \sounds\, so you could just rename the offender or replace it with a blank file.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

NihilCredo posted:

CK2 sounds are in individual .wav files in \sounds\, so you could just rename the offender or replace it with a blank file.

Easiest way to get rid of sounds is actually to open interface/sounds.sfx in a text editor, find the offending sound and add volume=0 to it. I disable court/religion screen music because music on top of music rarely sounds good.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Wiz posted:

Easiest way to get rid of sounds is actually to open interface/sounds.sfx in a text editor, find the offending sound and add volume=0 to it. I disable court/religion screen music because music on top of music rarely sounds good.

I guess it's unsurprising given that I almost always play CK2+ but I didn't even know that those screens had music.

Vegetable posted:

Doesn't Switzerland have really terrible attrition? Just let them siege a province for a month or two before jumping them. In vanilla EU3 it was easily the worst place to use doomstacks.

Someone's never invaded Ethiopia and then tried to deal with rebels in those provinces. The attrition is incredible.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Friend Commuter posted:

Steam keeps up to date with regular patches, but you still have to install beta patches the old-fashioned way (y'know, because they're still under development and not ready for general release and all that). Mods work fine, although launching EU3 from Steam launches the base game rather than the launcher, so you'll have to launch the launcher separately if you want to play a mod. Everything else I've tried (DH, Vic2, CK2) launches the launcher when launched from Steam, though.

And like all(?) paradox games on steam it doesn't have any DRM, so you can just make a copy of it and place it wherever you want and not have to deal with steam if you don't want to.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

gradenko_2000 posted:

EU3, Victoria 2, and HOI3 I think have trouble keeping up with regular patches as well. CK2 doesn't have this problem, at least.

Antinumeric posted:

After the clusterfuck that was the Republic release I'm not surprised.

What clusterfuck? (The CK2 thread is gigantic :ohdear:)

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

Farecoal posted:

What clusterfuck? (The CK2 thread is gigantic :ohdear:)

I think it came to steam a couple of days later than it was supposed to, unless you got lucky and bought a steam key from another retailer before they ran out. I don't know how steam managed to gently caress that up. I got one of those early keys and played it on steam the day it was released, but a lot of other people got quite angry, especially those who bought a key from gmg after they stopped giving them out and didn't get any reply from them.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

Wiz posted:

Can you make this a part of your Paradox+ ensemble? I never want to hear a baby being born or a boat being built again. And most of your clientele wouldn't even think of messing around with back-end sound settings.

Shanakin
Mar 26, 2010

The whole point of stats are lost if you keep it a secret. Why Didn't you tell the world eh?
:( I get paradox letters all the time but apparently not this time. Not even in my spam folder.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Shanakin posted:

:( I get paradox letters all the time but apparently not this time. Not even in my spam folder.

If you'd like a Steam copy of EUIII add me on Steam and you can have the one I got in the email Paradox sent (I already own the game.)

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Harmonist

e: Done.

Pork Pie Hat fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Jan 22, 2013

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Thank you Paradox! I'll make sure this copy of EU3 Chronicles finds a good home.

Kersch
Aug 22, 2004
I like this internet

Vodos posted:

I tried a game of EU3 MEIOU over the weekend. They added a lot more bonuses and penalties to sliders, NIs, advisors and buildings, making all that stuff more interesting at first, it just gets too much after a while. Some of the bonuses even break the tooltips when you get a sizable country (which is bound to happen since they added hundreds of provinces). For example the tooltip for government tech research can't tell me what research is coming up anymore since every tier 2 government building adds 0.3 to the research and all I can see now is a huge list of +0.3 that goes to the bottom of my screen. Same for magistrates/merchants/missionaries, I can't see how many I get per year because some trade building / monk orders add 0.1 each.
Inheriting from a PU gives you cores regardless of culture or whatever, so Ive been abusing the hell out of marriages and the Fabricate Claim spy action and have been eating my way through the HRE.
When I got to the point where I could colonize I was still in the "early colonization" time period , netting me "only" 7 colonists a year. So I went to discover the Caribbean and South Africa, not only does everything have 2-3 times as many provinces as vanilla (Madagascar has 8 provinces) but every single province I found has a base tax of 1. I grabbed Haiti and Cuba (11 provinces total) and everything had corn or fish... gently caress this mod.

When I tried MEIOU a few months ago, it seemed like all colonies started at 1 tax base but you'd intermittently get the option to just increase the tax base in specific colonies with a small investment or with the acceptance of additional revolt risk there or something. Also, I think that their trade goods could possibly change to something more valuable later.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
I'd be willing to trade my EU3: Chronicles key for Crusader Kings 2: The Republic. I don't have the money to buy it right now, so all I have to offer is this nice, shiny EU3.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Guess who spent over $100 on CK2/EU3 + Addons last night?

:bang:

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

ten dollar bitcoin posted:

Guess who spent over $100 on CK2/EU3 + Addons last night?

:bang:

yeah i'm really glad i decided not to re-buy EUIII:Complete and HTTT on steam recently, since Gamersgate is such a pain. Now I don't have to, and I have Divine Wind as well too!

Paradox is seriously the best development studio ever.

Defeatist Elitist
Jun 17, 2012

I've got a carbon fixation.

You know it's sort of counter intuitive, but it's poo poo like this that makes me to blindly buy every Paradox Game.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Raenir Salazar posted:

Sorry for the :words: but I wanted an :effort: post.

Do I need the Republic expansion for this?

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

I've signed up for Paradox's newsletter like five times now, and have never unsubscribed from it. Yet every time I hear about one of these code giveways, I check and notice that I haven't received an issue in months. They just keep auto unsubscribing me or something. Who knows. It's incredibly frustrating. At least, this time I already have the game they're giving it away. I just would have liked to given it to someone else instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

QuoProQuid posted:

Do I need the Republic expansion for this?

If I'm not mistaken, for multiplayer games you get all the benefits of DLC that the host has.

• Locked thread