Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Semprini posted:

They did it as a one-off with an SPL match a few years ago for a documentary. Sadly, they used Ian Brines, so we learned nothing.

It was also done in the EPL. Can't remember who the ref was exactly, but it was an Arsenal game. There was so much swearing they haven't tried it since, which is a shame.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

EvilHawk posted:

It was also done in the EPL. Can't remember who the ref was exactly, but it was an Arsenal game. There was so much swearing they haven't tried it since, which is a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4ruNosLNOE

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

1. New passage of play, that's a goal.
2. No advantage, play on.
3. Indirect free kick.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1. That's a goal.
2. Some discretion required, if the shot was obviously hindered then you can pull it back for the foul as no advantage was gained.
3. Indirect free kick from then edge of the goal area (6-yard box). And I think the defender also gets a red card for DoGSO.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
1) Give that man a goal, allow manager to punch his keeper in the face.
2) Based on how it's worded I would pull play back, give a penalty and book/send off the defender depending on the position of the other defenders.
3) Indirect free kick for the attacking team, to be taken from the edge of the 6 yard box. Book the defender for unsportsmanlike behaviour... sure why not? Note it in the match report so other people can laugh at it too.

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I HATE POLITICS IN SOCCER AS MUCH AS I LOVE RACISM IN SOCCER

1.) Goal, punch goalie in face, drink tears. Offside applies only when a keeper parries or blocks a shot, not when he has possession.
2.) Keith says "tries to trip", which is a foul and a penalty. I wouldn't call it back unless it's dangerous or reckless, and then I'd book the defender and give the penalty. However, If it's just a bit of contact, you applied advantage and he missed the shot, then no penalty.
3.) Yellow for unsporting behavior for unfairly gaining an advantage, like climbing up the referee a couple weeks back. IDFK from outside the goal box.

Bio-Hazard fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jan 21, 2013

Dollas
Sep 16, 2007

$$$$$$$$$
Clapping Larry

Tunga posted:

1. That's a goal.
2. Some discretion required, if the shot was obviously hindered then you can pull it back for the foul as no advantage was gained.
3. Indirect free kick from then edge of the goal area (6-yard box). And I think the defender also gets a red card for DoGSO.

This is pretty much what I would say.

AVBrafaDiMatteo
Nov 30, 2009
Bad ads nab top cop. Also, The Project Pt. II.

When all else fails, cash in your Ruples for new foreign myths.
1. Goal
2. Assuming the defender tried to trip but failed, and the attacker stumbled on his own, it's not a penalty. Numerous reasons you could yellow card the defender, but no foul was committed. If there was any contact, it's up to you.
3. IFK

Pretty straight forward this week actually, which means we'll all be wrong.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
1. Goal. It wasn't a free kick or anything like that, and the keeper placed the ball on the ground himself.
2. Sorry, I guess I played advantage.
3. Stop play, red for DOGSO, penalty.

Seems too easy, must be missing something.
e: OK, I really need to learn when it's a penalty and when it's an IDFK.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Take it away, Hackett:

quote:

1) A terrific question. As always, think clearly, step by step. The striker was in an offside position when the shot was struck – but once the keeper gathers the ball, however quickly he then rolls it forwards, the initial phase for penalising the offside position ends. This is the keeper's error – he has effectively passed the ball to an opponent in open play. So allow the goal.

2) Attempting to trip an opponent is an offence, whether it succeeds or not. If the striker had managed to score then clearly you could have played advantage, but as it is you need to intervene. Award the penalty and, if you judge that the attempted trip clearly denied an obvious goalscoring opportunity, then issue a red card too.

3) It's a nice piece of quick thinking from the diminutive defender, but it's also an offence, so stop the game. Although he has denied a goal, you can only send a player off if he denied a goal by handling the ball. So show him a yellow card for unsporting behaviour and restart with an indirect free-kick to the attacking team, taken from the point on the goal area line parallel to the goalline nearest the incident.
Fairly straightforward this week.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Interesting that the defender in 3 only gets a yellow though.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

pik_d posted:

Interesting that the defender in 3 only gets a yellow though.
I went to see what the laws have to say about this:

quote:

A player, substitute or substituted player is sent off if he commits any of the
following seven offences:
[...]
  • denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
    by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within
    his own penalty area)
  • denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving
    towards the player’s goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a
    penalty kick
I don't really see why the first case is specified when it is covered by the second one anyway. But whatever. Note that nothing here specificies "direct free kick". How is a "free kick" defined?

quote:

Free kicks are either direct or indirect.
So basically Hackett is either making poo poo up, or there is some guidance document that I can't find, or I don't really know. His answer does sort of feel correct, in keeping with how these sorts of offences are usually handled differently to fouls or hand ball.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Tunga posted:

I went to see what the laws have to say about this:

I don't really see why the first case is specified when it is covered by the second one anyway. But whatever. Note that nothing here specificies "direct free kick". How is a "free kick" defined?

So basically Hackett is either making poo poo up, or there is some guidance document that I can't find, or I don't really know. His answer does sort of feel correct, in keeping with how these sorts of offences are usually handled differently to fouls or hand ball.

I think the keys were:

2) the shot and foul are semi simultaneous so you hadn't played advantage. It's inside the 3-5 second rule.

3) there are two dogso rules. One for impeding the ball (part 1, handling it) and one for impeding a player (part 2, a player moving towards your goal). Neither is satisfied here.

Interestingly though if there's an open goal scenario and a loose ball, but the striker is running a couple of steps BACKWARD to gain the ball (say a breakaway where the keeper saves and parries weakly but is left stranded) then pulling him down as he reaches it isn't a red as he wasn't moving towards your goal. Even if the second he touched it he would have had an open net to pass it into.

That'd make a good question.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That was in relation to 3 (defender hanging off the net) not 2 (defender's foul causes a miskick).

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Tunga posted:

That was in relation to 3 (defender hanging off the net) not 2 (defender's foul causes a miskick).

I started referring just to 3, but added 2 in too because other people were questioning it.

But yeah, basically the player wasn't impeded, and the ball wasn't handled. So it isn't DOGSO.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Masonity posted:

But yeah, basically the player wasn't impeded, and the ball wasn't handled. So it isn't DOGSO.
I see what you're saying, and that's obviously how Hackett is saying it works too, but the rules don't really agree with that in the way that they're written:

quote:

denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving
penalty kick
Opponent moving towards goal? Check, since he headed it at the goal. Obvious goal scoring opportunity denied? Check, since it was cleared off the line. Offense punishable by a free kick? Check, just as Hackett says, an indirect one. So if this isn't going to count as "denying an opportunity to an opponent" then really this law needs to be re-written to specify that it has to be a foul on the player.

I understand exactly what you're saying and why Hackett says that, just seems like the rule is really badly worded.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jan 21, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

No... There are two offences. You can foul an individual player, or commit a foul against a team.

The foul you commit is against a team, as you didn't interfere with any individual player.

1)denying the opposing team a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity
by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within
his own penalty area)

2)denying an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving
penalty kick

Part 1 refers to fouls against a team, such as hand ball, simulation, unsporting conduct, etc.

Part 2 refers to fouls against individual players, such as obstructing them or making unlawful physical contact.

You can't argue that the defender fouled the attacker. He didn't go anywhere near the attacker. What he did is commit an offence against the opposing side, not the specific player.

As such it's only a red if covered by part 1, which only specifies a red for hand ball.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do get it, though the law could be worded different and it would be clearer. Basically it comes down to the fact that you can't deny a goal to an opponent, only to the opposing team as a whole. An individual opponent can only be denied an oppotunity. Heading it off the line isn't denying an opportunity, it's denying a goal.

I could certainly fabricate a situation whereby instead of clearing the header off the line, I swing on the crossbar and clear a ball with my feet when a player is just about to score. That is straight up "denying an opportunity to an opponent" in the literal English sense of those words. That's why this rule isn't as clear as it could be. And yes, I still understand what it "refers" to and what it "really means", but laws should be written clearly without having to understand some specific interpretation of "opponent" vs. "opposing team" which isn't stated anywhere.

Look at it this way, is there any good reason for the second case not to say "direct free kick"?

Compromise: You're right, but I'm still going to show FIFA a yellow card and punch Keith Hackett in the face just because.

Tunga fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Jan 21, 2013

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Tunga posted:

I do get it, though the law could be worded different and it would be clearer. Basically it comes down to the fact that you can't deny a goal to an opponent, only to the opposing team as a whole. An individual opponent can only be denied an oppotunity. Heading it off the line isn't denying an opportunity, it's denying a goal.

I could certainly fabricate a situation whereby instead of clearing the header off the line, I swing on the crossbar and clear a ball with my feet when a player is just about to score. That is straight up "denying an opportunity to an opponent" in the literal English sense of those words. That's why this rule isn't as clear as it could be. And yes, I still understand what it "refers" to and what it "really means", but laws should be written clearly without having to understand some specific interpretation of "opponent" vs. "opposing team" which isn't stated anywhere.

Look at it this way, is there any good reason for the second case not to say "direct free kick"?

Compromise: You're right, but I'm still going to show FIFA a yellow card and punch Keith Hackett in the face just because.

The problem with directly stating a direct free kick = dogso is that there are fouls against a player (obstruction, short pulling maybe? Climbing on then for a header?) that should result in an ifk but would be a red in the case of dogso.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Masonity posted:

The problem with directly stating a direct free kick = dogso is that there are fouls against a player (obstruction, short pulling maybe? Climbing on then for a header?) that should result in an ifk but would be a red in the case of dogso.
Yeah fair enough, I thought the Obstruction rule has been removed but it does still exist, it just only applies when there is no contact ("impeding an opponent"). I've literally never seen an obstruction decision given in fifteen years of watching QPR so that shows how rare they are.

I also a found reference to "playing dangerously" (the thing that people refer to as the "high foot" rule) which specifically mentions that DOGSO is applicable to it. So in my example you would get a red card if someone is about to head it into the goal when you swing on the crossbar to kick it away. So there we go.

I guess we can say that I just wouldn't Hackett as a referee.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam
I'm still not sure what issue there is with what Hackett's said. Denying a goal scoring opportunity means not allowing the player to get his shot off properly (denying him the opportunity). Denying a goal means blocking the goal-bound ball after it has been shot. In #3 the striker has his opportunity without incident, it was only the goal which was denied, and that is not a sending-off offense unless it was handled. It's pretty straightforward, if a little unintuitive if you're used to thinking only in terms of DOGSO.

We often lump denying goalscoring opportunities and denying by handling into one big category of DOGSO, but it's worth remembering that they're two similar but distinct offenses.

And as a side note, the USSF position paper on DOGSO contains a reminder that it need not be a direct free kick offense to warrant a sending-off; technical or other IDFK offenses which deny obvious goalscoring opportunities are punished the exact same way. (Of course, rereading it, the very first sentence is incorrect when it says 'denying a goal', but what can you do)

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tunga posted:

I also a found reference to "playing dangerously" (the thing that people refer to as the "high foot" rule) which specifically mentions that DOGSO is applicable to it. So in my example you would get a red card if someone is about to head it into the goal when you swing on the crossbar to kick it away. So there we go.

Except that the example is the defender headed it not kicked it. So there was nothing inherently dangerous with his play, only that he used the netting of the goal to gain an unfair/unsporting advantage.

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.

1)Goal, punch the keeper for not paying attention
2)No penalty and play on
3)IFK

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
I think that you penalize the first foul, where he is climbing the netting, before penalizing the DOGSO.

I like his response about advantage; the attacker has to come out with an ADVANTAGE, rather than just escaping unharmed.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

Bio-Hazard posted:

I think that you penalize the first foul, where he is climbing the netting, before penalizing the DOGSO.

The defender has not denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity; he has denied a goal. The latter is only a sending-off if he does it with his hand. He has not committed either of the DOGSO offenses in this instance.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lladre posted:

Except that the example is the defender headed it not kicked it. So there was nothing inherently dangerous with his play, only that he used the netting of the goal to gain an unfair/unsporting advantage.
By this point in the conversion I wasn't talking about the original YATR question. Pretty much just ignore my posts.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Lamont Cranston posted:

The defender has not denied an obvious goal-scoring opportunity; he has denied a goal. The latter is only a sending-off if he does it with his hand. He has not committed either of the DOGSO offenses in this instance.

It's just weird how disadvantaging the other team more is worthy of a lesser punishment. Unfairly denying a clear goal feels like it should be punished equally or more than denying an opportunity which may or may not result in a goal.

Lamont Cranston
Sep 1, 2006

how do i shot foam

pik_d posted:

It's just weird how disadvantaging the other team more is worthy of a lesser punishment. Unfairly denying a clear goal feels like it should be punished equally or more than denying an opportunity which may or may not result in a goal.

And annoyingly enough, the Advice to Refs from the USSF contains the following:

quote:

Referees are reminded that offenses which deny a goalscoring opportunity are not limited to those punishable by a direct free kick or penalty kick but may include misconduct or those fouls for which the restart is an indirect free kick. An example would be a player, including the goalkeeper, hanging from the crossbar to play the ball away with his or her body.

but that is bullshit imo and not supported by the wording in the laws. In any case it's an interpretation which would only be binding in the US.

Aaaaaaanyway, don't be distracted too much by Michael Laudrup as you ponder the following:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
1. Yellows for both for being shits.
2. Play on. Like watching the player's eyes ever helped. Laugh if the player falls over because he put in opaque contacts and is now blind.
3. Fifteen-yard penalty on the defense for "disconcerting signals." Oh wait. Do nothing to bail out the defender for being stupid.

Popehoist
Feb 5, 2008

There you go rubens, all your fault! You went on the wrong side of the car!
1. Yellow card the defender if the foul was deserving of it, then yellow card both for their carry-on bullshit and punch both players in the face.
2. Order the player to leave the field and remove them (blinding himself makes himself a danger to the other players). Since the player is now blind, it's a perfect opportunity to punch him in the face.
3. Goal. Punch the defender in the face.

ayb
Sep 12, 2003
Kills Drifters for erections

Popehoist posted:

1. Yellow card the defender if the foul was deserving of it, then yellow card both for their carry-on bullshit and punch both players in the face.
2. Order the player to leave the field and remove them (blinding himself makes himself a danger to the other players). Since the player is now blind, it's a perfect opportunity to punch him in the face.
3. Goal. Punch the defender in the face.

Opaque contacts don't blind the wearer..

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

1) Yellow for the defender, and red for the snowball-thrower for violent conduct.
2) If you're satisfied there's no safety implications, play on.
3) That's a goal.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

"Nudging" somebody with your foot is pretty much kicking them, isn't it? If you're going to card the player at all I don't know what offence you're going to cite. "Violent conduct" warrants a sending off but to apply it to a nudge seems farcical.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
1. According to how it's written there, the winger gets a yellow card for trying to get the other guy booked, the defender gets a yellow card for poking him, and then the winger gets another yellow for throwing the snowball. In reality, they'd most likely both just get booked, or the snowball could be counted as excessive force or whatever and be a straight red. Nobody really gets booked for rolling around on the floor. The foot nudge thing is also kind of difficult to judge. To physically roll someone over with your foot takes a fair amount of effort, but it's not really a red card, it's not violent.

2. It just comes down to whether they are safe for the player to be wearing. There shouldn't be a visibility issue but is there a safety issue with wearing contacts in general. I actually have no idea. Do professional some footballers wear contact lenses (for sight reasons)? If they do then I guess this is fine.

3. Punch the defender in the face, allow the goal, and run off into the sunset with dreamy Michael Laudrup :swoon: .

Bio-Hazard
Mar 8, 2004
1.) Yellows for all, I think this is a question about INTENT. If their intention was malice, then you could show anything up to red for violent conduct for the snowball. However, if they're just playing around, and they accidentally caught me with a snowball, I'd dole out yellows and call the initial foul.

2.) I'd treat them like any other contacts, but maybe make a note to the FA in the report so they can give advice to other referees who will encounter this tactic.

3.) I have a hard time calling a foul for anything said verbally, except for foul and abusive language or an attempt to scare a player off the ball. The striker isn't intentionally deceiving the defender.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
1. Yellow the defender, because he must've nudged the attacker pretty hard to make him roll in the snow, yellow card to the defender for simulation and another yellow for throwing a snowball at the defender, then throw a snowball at the attacking player's face.

2. Let him play on and laugh at him when he misses.

3. Goal.

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
1) Yellow for the defender. Yellow for the winger for diving, another for unsportsmanlike conduct. Plus a kick in the balls.
2) How in the gently caress did they get contact lenses? Were they carrying them? Were they handed over from the sideline? Do they want to insert them with dirty hands? Ew. Tell them to ditch the unapproved equipment and call him a tosser.
3) That may be one of the dumbest questions I've seen in this series. It's a goal. Call the defending team's captain over to tell him what a loving moron his player is for falling for something that retarded.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
1. Book the defender for unsporting conduct (rolling the winger into the snow after play stopped) and send off the winger for violent conduct. Throwing anything with the intent of hitting someone else, whether you connect or not, is violent conduct.

2. Tell the player to get rid of them and book him for unsporting conduct. This is trying to gain an advantage through less than honest equipment.

3. Goal. Punch the manager of the defending team in the face for putting such a dumbass on the pitch.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I really don't get the third one at all. I know it's "unsporting" or whatever for a striker to call "mine" to trick defenders into thinking it was the keeper shouting, but I don't see the issue at all with that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Mickolution posted:

I really don't get the third one at all. I know it's "unsporting" or whatever for a striker to call "mine" to trick defenders into thinking it was the keeper shouting, but I don't see the issue at all with that one.

There isn't a problem with it, but I can't wait to be Hacketted™ on Monday to see how we're all wrong.

• Locked thread