Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006
Me too, what a great discovery. I hope it gets some exposure here in the states.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fyuz
Dec 15, 2004

Was slightly underwhelmed with Utopia, especially after the good stuff that had been posted here. Loved the way it was shot, but I found it hard going to stay interested.

As an aside, did anyone watch 8 out of 10 cats last night? Before it started the continuity announcer said "As a warning to any readers of morally dubious tabloids, the following program contains comedy" which I quite liked.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
I enjoyed Utopia, only really watched it cos Curtis from Misfits was in it. I felt bad when he picked up the gun :( Also the two assassin-types quite reminded me of the pair from Neverwhere in their insanely evil methods. Will keep watching, but won't go to great efforts to do so.

My Mad Fat Diary does look appalling from the trailers, and I'm not the type to watch something because of the soundtrack. Going by the trailers, the plot seems to be "let's laugh at this fat girl, but at the end of the show we'll all be reminded she's a Real Person too, and we shouldn't laugh at fat people. Tune in next episode where for more laughs at the fattie!". Feel free to reassure me this isn't the case...

Edit: oh and reminder, Splashes is on ITV from 7-8.30p.m. so whatever you do, avoid that channel during that timeframe. I just hope it doesn't overrun into Take Me Out this week, as if I'm going to watch poo poo, I want it to be through my own free will rather than schedule tomfoolery.

meme
Oct 7, 2009

But it's a pretty good way to get someone to spend money on buying you an av and sig. Maybe I should be really obnoxious and get an upgrade myself

Moral of the story: be careful what you wish for.

You are welcome.

Squalitude posted:

My Mad Fat Diary does look appalling from the trailers, and I'm not the type to watch something because of the soundtrack. Going by the trailers, the plot seems to be "let's laugh at this fat girl, but at the end of the show we'll all be reminded she's a Real Person too, and we shouldn't laugh at fat people. Tune in next episode where for more laughs at the fattie!". Feel free to reassure me this isn't the case...

It's not that. It's not the best show I ever watched but it's not insensitive or cruel.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Squalitude posted:

Its more about her own insecurity than any external factors. She constantly denigrates herself for her weight but if I remember correctly, the only time someone else mocks her its heavily implied that its all just in her head.

Paradox Personified
Mar 15, 2010

:sun: SoroScrew :sun:
So, I've recently fallen in love with Sue Perkins. No, really. I can't watch the Simpsons anymore without giggling and imagining her conducting some amazing orchestra. Not to mention how well she handled Giles in the Supersizers series. Those two were fantastic, when I could hear anything over Giles' open-mouth food smacking. Charming. :D
I wish Q.I. could catch on (more) in America, it could possibly turn the poo poo tidal wave that is what passes for 'smart' shows over here. I could go on and on about all the fantastic panelists they've had, but to see Brian Cox laugh and make jokes (and Ross Noble eventually come to the conclusion you could throw an Ewok into a lake of fart, but then become depressed because Cox enlightened him that he wouldn't be able to set his farts on fire over on Titan) was fantastic.
I have to hold dual citizenship one day.... one day.

Gonna have to binge as much comedy-related tv I can so I can learn the good improv/standup names as well as I know everyone since WLiiA through to Improv All-Stars hit Vegas a couple years ago.
Is there some tycoon-analogue of Drew Carey across the pond?

Paradox Personified fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 19, 2013

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer

Squalitude posted:

Going by the trailers, the plot seems to be "let's laugh at this fat girl, but at the end of the show we'll all be reminded she's a Real Person too, and we shouldn't laugh at fat people. Tune in next episode where for more laughs at the fattie!". Feel free to reassure me this isn't the case...

Caitlin Moran did a nice review piece on it today- (edited bits)

quote:

...MMFD reminds you how rarely you see teenage girls on TV doing anything other than looking sexy in short skirts, endlessly texting their friends about parties, or wailing 'IT'S SO UNFAIR' when their parents won't buy them a car.

I don't know a single woman who spent her teenage years being sexy.

For all of us, being a teenage girl was about being troubled and nervous and obsessing about literature and trying to do noble things for the furtherance of mankind that essentially consisted of having a poster of a dead unicorn captioned 'WHY??????' on our bedroom wall, and dealing with the lifelong, crippling terror that, when you stood up, you might have left a stain behind you....

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
I too watched the first episode of My Mad Fat Diary thanks to this thread and enjoyed it a lot. Really likeable. Good shout guys.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gorn Myson posted:

Its more about her own insecurity than any external factors. She constantly denigrates herself for her weight but if I remember correctly, the only time someone else mocks her its heavily implied that its all just in her head.

Yeah, it's all handled remarkably sensitively. And as you said, the only time anyone mocks her for her weight, it's heavily implied that it didn't happen, and if it did, it was a very small occurrence, but because of her insecurity, it seemed bigger. So in that respect, it works on a deeper level.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Neil from the Inbetweeners new show is rubbish. I cant even remember its name and I only just watched it.

7seven7
May 19, 2006

I barfed because you looked in my eyes!
drat, you guys weren't lying about Utopia. loving fantastic.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

7seven7 posted:

drat, you guys weren't lying about Utopia. loving fantastic.

Holy poo poo, just watched it. drat its good.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Finally got round to Utopia.

Really really good programme, setting up some interesting plot threads there.

But poor Wilson Wilson, that bit was horrible.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards
I've got Utopia ready to watch when I get a chance, though I'm not sure it can live up to what this thread's been saying about it. Really looking forward to checking it out, though.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rondette posted:

Finally got round to Utopia.

Really really good programme, setting up some interesting plot threads there.

But poor Wilson Wilson, that bit was horrible.

I recommended it like mad to everyone in work, which was a bit tactless considering the bloke two desks down from me is going in for corrective laser eye surgery this weekend. He was all white and shivery on Thursday, felt awfully bad about it.

Zaburino
Jul 22, 2006
If anyone liked the music in Utopia, the music was by Cristobal Tapia De Veer, who has a bandcamp with a few of the musical cues here: http://cristobaltapiadeveer.bandcamp.com/album/utopia-coming-soon

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Squalitude posted:

Also the two assassin-types quite reminded me of the pair from Neverwhere in their insanely evil methods.

Yes! That's exactly who it reminded me of, although I couldn't remember the names at the time.

Not the only people to draw that link either, judging by a quick search. (https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Croup+and+Vandemar+utopia)

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I just found out my friend Liam worked on Utopia and "spent ages trying to get that bloody spoon right". I now have to resist asking him about what's going to happen.

sex pervert
Mar 22, 2011

thehustler posted:

Well he's not as talented as David Mitchell so he has to get some work somehow.

Actually, I think I just this morning heard David Mitchell as the voice of McVities Go Ahead biscuits :cripes:

Snow day. I watched Jeremy Kyle for the first time in quite a while. He's become very self aware in his presentation. He was frequently hitting out at what he calls "critics of the show" in his little soliloquies he does to the camera after his guests inevitably run out (or are dragged out) of the studio, or told to "go that way". Unfortunately he seems to be very wide of the mark about why people criticize his show. He said at one point "critics say the emotion on this show is just too real". No. We think it's cynically contrived, you oval office.

sex pervert fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jan 21, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
Anybody else excited for Stewart Lee's new stand-up programme on Comedy Central next month? If you are, there's an episode guide thing on Chortle and I quite like the line up for them.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Alternative comedy? Stewart Lee? 12 episodes?

This is going to be my favourite thing ever.

FreakyZoid
Nov 28, 2002

How long are the episodes? The line ups look kind of busy.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

FreakyZoid posted:

How long are the episodes? The line ups look kind of busy.

Probably half an hour long, then you'll get an episode of South Park after. There's nothing on Comedy Central's (quite poo poo) website about it.

e: Top Gear's back on Sunday, nice.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jan 21, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Hate to post back to back, but for you cake lovers, the Great British Comic Relief Bake Off is back.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

Junior Doctors was back on thursday. With its hilariously overdramatised music and shakycamming of not-particularly-exciting events, unending focus on them turning people into pin cushions, and hopelessly unneeded insight into their played for camera social lives.

I watch only to see how far into my seat cushions it can make me cringe.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

onoflalks posted:

Hate to post back to back, but for you cake lovers, the Great British Comic Relief Bake Off is back.

I think this demonstrates just how good even the poorest contestant is on the normal Bake-Off. Because these custard slices are the saddest things I have ever seen baked.

I particularly liked when the curly-haired comedians' pastry went on fire and she just stood there bleating "What do I do?" helplessly as the flames started to lick at her teatowel and fingers.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

twoot posted:

Junior Doctors was back on thursday. With its hilariously overdramatised music and shakycamming of not-particularly-exciting events, unending focus on them turning people into pin cushions, and hopelessly unneeded insight into their played for camera social lives.

I watch only to see how far into my seat cushions it can make me cringe.

Yup, just watched it. Still awful. And doesn't even have the neckbeard who perpetually wore a CM Punk shirt any more either.

madey
Sep 17, 2007

I saved the Olympics singlehandedly
The BBC just broadcasted a full minute apology for accusing a woman of being a "nazi loving aristocrat". Quite bizarre.

Jonnty
Aug 2, 2007

The enemy has become a flaming star!

madey posted:

The BBC just broadcasted a full minute apology for accusing a woman of being a "nazi loving aristocrat". Quite bizarre.

It was about a former Lady X being a Nazi and the current Lady X not wanting to be mistaken from the former Lady X. I would have thought this kind of thing is an occupational hazard once you decide to take someone's name, but I suppose I'm not an aristocrat so what would I know.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
A family goes on Britain's Got Talent. It's a father, mother, son, daughter and dog. The father says to the Simon, "We have a really amazing act. You should represent us."

Simon says, "Sorry, I don't represent family acts. They're a little too cute."

The mother says, "Sir, if you just see our act, we know you would want to represent us."

Simon says, "OK. OK. I'll take a look."

The father begins by taking off his shirt. The mother does the same with hers. Then the son does the same with his shirt. The daughter, not to be outdone, takes off her shirt. At last, all four family members stand before the agent, bare chested. Spelled out, in red paint and with two letters to each body, is the following:

L-E-T-S F-U-C-K

Meanwhile, the dog strolls to the end of the line, rolls onto his back and exposes his testicles. Written across each testicle, in red paint, is the following: !

"LETS gently caress!?" repeats Simon, confused. "What the hell does that mean?"

The family proceeds to show them. Slowly. Faster. Harder. Softer. On their backs. On their stomachs. To the accompaniment of a metronome. Free form. Old form. Using jelly. Now jam. On swings. While watching television. Now listening to Christian radio. While doing their taxes. While eating a light, nutritious snack. When they're finished, the dog barks with joy and wags his tail. All four family members raise their hands high and then, in unison, perform a deep Shakespearean bow, imaginary applause washing over them all.

For the longest time, Simon just sits in silence. Finally, he manages, "That's a hell of an act. What do you call it?"

And the father says, "The Aristocrats!"

Rude Dude With Tude fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jan 22, 2013

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I saw it coming, yet I was powerless to stop it.

Mellomeh
Jun 12, 2006
Further (moderately spoilery) details about the new series of Black Mirror have been released.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Awww, only another 3?

Anyway, I'd say the third sounds the weakest. The commentary is pretty on-the-nose with that one.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
The first and third concepts sound really good. Can't wait for this.

On a related note, when does 2013 Wipe start airing?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Rarity posted:

The first and third concepts sound really good. Can't wait for this.

On a related note, when does 2013 Wipe start airing?

It starts on Thurs 31st BBC 2 10pm, I can hardly wait.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

The first one sounds like the worst parts of Caprica. Second one sounds boring. Third one could be good, depending on how it's done.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Rather marvellous advert for Black Mirror was on just there.

And Christ, the cold opener for Utopia was as startling as the first episode.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Every shot of Utpia is beautiful, I could make love to it.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Oh god, that last 60 seconds :cry:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Sentinel Red posted:

Oh god, that last 60 seconds :cry:

I feel knackered after watching all that. I guess 'Twat' girl is as good as dead now too

In other news, My Mad Fat Diary was brilliant, particularly the opening where Rae unzips and chucks out her fatness Again it was quite uncomfortable for me to watch in places - some of it really struck close to home.

It made me dig out my diary from that time and man, that made some painful reading, in both amusing and embarrassing ways. Ahh, teenage angst, inappropriate crushes and strange obsessions.

The soundtrack was amazing too, god so many songs that I used to listen to were used, it was ridiculous.