Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata
Puzzlecraft. 24 hours of drawing lines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Fazana posted:

Any Beastie Bay advice from the more addicted out there? I wandered the net awhile but for once a decent guide doesn't seem to be out there or pretty well hidden if it is. It appears there is the typically kairosoft type of building placement mechanics on top of the collecting and tweaking your monster team.

This is a few days late but I got the thing on Android a while back so if it's the same stuff...

Basically you want to get a School, surround it with monster homes, then on the edges (the three squares that touch the monster houses on each side) you put forests, beside each forest you put a person's house. On the edge of the forests, you put two solar panels and a placeholder in the middle and then fill the corners with whatever. Surround the whole thing with as much road as you can. Once you get a hot rocks, put it in between the two solars and you turn all the trees into Legendary Trees.

There's one spot on the map where you can chain 3 sets of this together on the map (just visualize it, it's tough to describe) and after that you'll get poo poo tons of levels for you guys.

If you're on your first playthrough, put clinics in the middle and your characters recover faster. Cycle through your characters and the caves to get them leveled up, don't keep to the same party.

Your best monsters are Princess Prin, Kairobot and the little Wairobots. (the big ones are not great).

Buy handkerchiefs and whatever those upgrades are and assign them to all your dudes and they'll chop more wood and get more food.

This (to me) is the most developed and deep game they've done. To finish it you more or less need a full team of ~L60 monsters, and that takes a while!

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

xelfer posted:

Going overseas, so far i've grabbed these games for the ~24 hours of flight: the walking dead, PvZ HD, blockheads, the room, infinity blade 2.. any other suggestions for long-ish games that could help pass the time quickly for ~24 hours of flying?

If you haven't already played them, any of the good Kairosoft games, 10000000, and KoDP can make time fly quickly. 10000000 alone can easily burn 3 hours while the Kairosoft games will occupy you for just as long if not longer.

I'd also recommend not playing through all 5 episodes of The Walking Dead at once. That game is really heavy stuff. At the very least break up each episode with an hour or two of light gaming.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Telex posted:

This is a few days late but I got the thing on Android a while back so if it's the same stuff...

Basically you want to get a School, surround it with monster homes, then on the edges (the three squares that touch the monster houses on each side) you put forests, beside each forest you put a person's house. On the edge of the forests, you put two solar panels and a placeholder in the middle and then fill the corners with whatever. Surround the whole thing with as much road as you can. Once you get a hot rocks, put it in between the two solars and you turn all the trees into Legendary Trees.

There's one spot on the map where you can chain 3 sets of this together on the map (just visualize it, it's tough to describe) and after that you'll get poo poo tons of levels for you guys.

If you're on your first playthrough, put clinics in the middle and your characters recover faster. Cycle through your characters and the caves to get them leveled up, don't keep to the same party.

Your best monsters are Princess Prin, Kairobot and the little Wairobots. (the big ones are not great).

Buy handkerchiefs and whatever those upgrades are and assign them to all your dudes and they'll chop more wood and get more food.

This (to me) is the most developed and deep game they've done. To finish it you more or less need a full team of ~L60 monsters, and that takes a while!

aaaaaaaaaaaaaugh When will this game come out statesside? Have they said anything?

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah

IncendiaC posted:

If you haven't already played them, any of the good Kairosoft games, 10000000, and KoDP can make time fly quickly. 10000000 alone can easily burn 3 hours while the Kairosoft games will occupy you for just as long if not longer.

I'd also recommend not playing through all 5 episodes of The Walking Dead at once. That game is really heavy stuff. At the very least break up each episode with an hour or two of light gaming.

Thanks, I'll check them out! KoDP looks interesting, I haven't really played anything in that genre before.

jhunt
Aug 31, 2005
In his house at R'lyeh dead Cthulhu waits dreaming.
My wife wants a game like Heros of Might and Magic, any recommendations?

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

xelfer posted:

Going overseas, so far i've grabbed these games for the ~24 hours of flight: the walking dead, PvZ HD, blockheads, the room, infinity blade 2.. any other suggestions for long-ish games that could help pass the time quickly for ~24 hours of flying?

Ghost Trick owns a whole bunch.

jhunt posted:

I second this, I'm jonesing for something like this that isn't a tremendous rip off like most of these bullshit card battling games are.

Rexicon1 fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 22, 2013

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

xelfer posted:

Grand Theft Auto III/Vice City.

Flops
Mar 28, 2010

Look at all these lovely posts!

Rexicon1 posted:

Ghost Trick owns a whole bunch.

I'm going to second this opinion. I was just going to play it every now and then on the holiday break but before I knew it I lost a whole day to it.

jellycat
Nov 5, 2012

it's a nice day

xelfer posted:

I've been enjoying Avadon: The Black Fortress. There are PC and Mac demos available if you want to try it first.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

xelfer posted:

- Kingdom Rush (best TD game on iOS)
- Tilt to Live (what is says on the box)
- Solomon's Keep (think Diablo extra lite)
- New Star Soccer (manage a soccer player's career, digital crack)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

What devices are you using? And how are you going to keep them charged for 24 hours?

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

SynthOrange posted:

What devices are you using? And how are you going to keep them charged for 24 hours?

It's a remarkable concept I know, but the vast majority of planes have power outlets of some kind these days.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Telex posted:

It's a remarkable concept I know, but the vast majority of planes have power outlets of some kind these days.

Get the gently caress outta town! Really?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

Get the gently caress outta town! Really?

I don't know if you're being snarky because this is actually news to me. I've never seen a straight up two prong or usb outlet on a plane.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Bummey posted:

I don't know if you're being snarky because this is actually news to me. I've never seen a straight up two prong or usb outlet on a plane.

Seen plenty on overseas flights, especially in first class. :wotwot:

Repeating the Heroes of Might and Magic request. Never thought about that and wouldn't mind trying one.

Telex
Feb 11, 2003

Bummey posted:

Well, that's why it's sorta remarkable.

http://www.seatguru.com/ has maps and lists of all the planes on all the airlines and what they've got in each plane. Most of the time you can tell on the booking site what planes are assigned to what routes and plan accordingly if you give a crap about having power on a flight.

For on-topic info, if you want a good time at work where you can watch all your co-workers stare at you and wonder what the gently caress is going on, Get Spaceteam. I'm not real sure what the point of the game actually is, but if you get 4 people going in Spaceteam at the same time, it's a lot of fun just yelling out all the crazy poo poo the game makes you do.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Not gonna lie, I haven't seen them myself, either. And I've been flying overseas a lot over the past year and half. I guess it's those cheap tickets!

Duranki
Nov 16, 2004

There is vengeance to be dealt, Marc Spector. And you have not lost your taste for such things. Have you?
King Oddball just went free. Very charming little physics game, where you play the titular orb-like alien who uses his tongue to fling rocks at tanks and helicopters and poo poo.

Uberskooper
Apr 30, 2007
Skoops up goood

jhunt posted:

Palm Kingdoms 2 is the closest there is. It's pretty much Heroes of Might and Magic 2 in terms of graphics and mechanics with several differences. The graphics on the battlefield screen lack the charm of the original game though.

I think the iOS would be a perfect platform for Heroes 2 or 3. Palm Kingdoms is okay, but its not as pretty.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Bummey posted:

Not being snarky, legitimately never seen one before

Original_Z
Jun 14, 2005
Z so good

Rexicon1 posted:

Not being snarky, legitimately never seen one before

Yeah, saying that the "vast majority" of planes have chargers is pretty questionable. I fly international flights on a regular basis and I think I've only been on like two planes with chargers, and they were USB-based and I think it was only one charger per seat group or something, so you'd better hope that you were sitting in the right position. Maybe they're more common on US-domestic flights or something?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
If you don't want to spring for a good seat with power on the plane just bring a few charged up USB external batteries.

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

I flew on an airbus A380 just a week ago (it's a new model, all of them are less than 5 years old) and each seat had a USB charger. It was awesome.

On the way back I was on a Boeing 777 and there wasn't anything like that. :(

So yeah, planes definitely have USB/power outlets but it will only be the newer suped up planes or you're going to have to be one of those rich special people. Aka don't count on it.

Colin Mockery
Jun 24, 2007
Rawr

I saw one on an overseas flight, but I think the outlet on my chair (on the arm, somewhere off to the side, so you really had to reach to access it) wasn't working on my way there. The back of the chair in front of me had one of those tiny screens on them where you could watch TV too.

But I don't fly often, so no idea how popular they are. I wouldn't count on it.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

The real question is Do pocket planes have power sockets for their bitizen passengers?

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

Duranki posted:

King Oddball just went free. Very charming little physics game, where you play the titular orb-like alien who uses his tongue to fling rocks at tanks and helicopters and poo poo.

This is a cool game and you should all check it out. Kept me busy for a few weeks between classes, good fun.

xelfer
Nov 27, 2007

What's new, Buseycat? woa-aah, woa-aah, woa-aah

SynthOrange posted:

iPhone 5 and mainly iPad 3rd gen.

What others have said, International flights with Cathay Pacific (Sydney <> Hong Kong) have power outlets and USB ports. Total is 24 hours, around 12 hours each way (including my HK > Vietnam flights).

edit: thanks for all the other suggestions, will check them all out.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I haven't posted here in a while but I popped in to say do not buy Final Fantasy:ATB, it is bad. Bye

Edit: You can beat it without IAP, I did. It is still bad

It DID make me want to buy FF4 instead though so mission accomplished I guess?

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Jan 22, 2013

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I haven't posted here in a while but I popped in to say do not buy Final Fantasy:ATB, it is bad. Bye

Edit: You can beat it without IAP, I did. It is still bad

Dude I was aghast at how lovely it was, I couldn't even really recognize a "game" in there. Can't believe you played it all the way through

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

IncendiaC posted:

Was it just me or is the Walking Dead on iOS kind of missing something, graphically? The lighting and texture work seemed a lot simpler than when I played it on 360, and I may just pick it up for that or the PC down the line if that's the case.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Any idea when Vice City will go on sale??

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

jhunt posted:

Therea that Kings Bounty game, iPad only I think tho.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

goferchan posted:

Dude I was aghast at how lovely it was, I couldn't even really recognize a "game" in there. Can't believe you played it all the way through

I paid for that poo poo I'm gonna get my money's worth.

To be honest (I posted this in the FF thread) there IS a game in there, which is what pisses me off so much.
They actually put a lot of care into parts of it - Ninjas have a very quick reload and a long attack animation, so they can evade attacks quickly if you micromanage them, Dragoons can sometimes get a Jump off to avoid a lot of the AOE attacks, different loadouts can make bosses easier or random battles easier.

The problem is that it's ALL RANDOM and there's so loving much of it going on at once it might as well not matter. Like the game is actually fun when you have 2 guys left and you are keeping them alive by timing their attacks really well, too bad 99% of the gameplay is "mash all forces into wall, wait 2 hours to repeat". Sometimes you randomly get a full loadout of only one class and it's kinda neat seeing how it changes stuff, I wish it was an option you could pick when you beat the game or something.

Making a dumb forgettable game is forgivable. Making a dumb forgettable game with INSANE IAP is assholeish. Making that but then having some actual honest to god FF job system elements almost poke out (my favorite part of the old games)? gently caress it, the goodwill is gone, your brand might as well not exist.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Any idea when Vice City will go on sale??

When the cock crows and when the river flows.

(we don't have any loving clue, why would any of us know?)

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Rexicon1 posted:

When the cock crows and when the river flows.

(we don't have any loving clue, why would any of us know?)

Someone might work somewhere useful. Usually there's someone on SA doing most jobs.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy

Rap Game Forum Mod posted:

Therea that Kings Bounty game, iPad only I think tho.

It's awful.

Waldorf Sixpence
Sep 6, 2004

Often harder on Player 2
I wish international flights that I got had power chargers! The closest we get is those little two-pronged headphone slots that you need to pay for an adapter to listen to really lovely radio and those 8" discoloured TV screens that are like 20 ft. away from the seat.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
I'm addicted to New Star Soccer again

I wish they could somehow make this into a hockey game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

Zlatan Imhobitch posted:

Usually there's someone on SA doing most jobs.

It's me. I do most of the jobs. (Not at Rockstar though.)

• Locked thread