Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
Usually Thidranki is where the fun starts.

From then on PvP is also the best way to level AND get armor (through the new bountypoint system)

You should hit 50 within a few days of playing, then go to Atlantis at lvl 46 and farm Glass. With the Glass you can buy any artifact or ML you want. Any serious player can get fully decked out for PvP within two weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Yeah it was crazy easy to level up/get geared last time I played its probably the perfect time to start playing again if you haven't in a while.

ButtaKnife
Mar 12, 2007

"I WILL DEVOUR 100 GENERATIONS OF YOUR FAMILY!"
In an unusual twist, Mythic decided to add a couple of race-class pairings for the DAoC 11th anniversary:

http://darkageofcamelot.com/article/happy-11th-birthday-dark-age-camelot

In particular, "Lurikeens may now be Blademasters." Heck yeah!

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
As a Hibbie I always found the Blademasters to be the least powerfull of the light tanks. Years ago our 8man BM actually switched over to shieldmaster spec as main assist.

But all of that doesn't matter much if you're only 3 feet tall, does it?

Combo
Aug 19, 2003

Oh sure NOW they add kobold zerkers after I don't play anymore and have leveled a troll and norse.

Jerks.

Graphics
Jun 9, 2003

Anyone looking to get rid of a DAOC account they no longer care about using? A stealth class with decent RR specifically. Apparently this isn't against Mythic's TOS and I have absolutely no clue how to find my old account from years ago (trust me, I've tried), so I thought I'd at least try this first.

PM me if interested in working something out.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Uthgard is turning out to be pretty fun in a "I don't want to kill myself quite as badly now" sort of way.

They've got a pretty rad custom zone which essentially replaces ToA for gearfarm.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
I'm waiting for my free 14 days to pop up then I'll be hopping on the official servers I think. Maybe I should try out this custom server?

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

nousername posted:

I'm waiting for my free 14 days to pop up then I'll be hopping on the official servers I think. Maybe I should try out this custom server?

It's more of an SI era server instead of custom. They have a couple of custom zones to make up for the lack of actual SI content, which has been in development for quite awhile.

It's a good server, all in all, regular bug fixes, active GM/Dev team. But it is hosted in Germany, and the majority of the population is European. So if you play during North American hours you may find it a bit dead. The population takes a nose dive in the early evening CST.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Overture posted:

Anyone looking to get rid of a DAOC account they no longer care about using? A stealth class with decent RR specifically. Apparently this isn't against Mythic's TOS and I have absolutely no clue how to find my old account from years ago (trust me, I've tried), so I thought I'd at least try this first.

PM me if interested in working something out.

Yeah, I tried to dig up my old account to throw $15 at it just to see the sights, and could not figure out a way to get back in.

I think that if you had cancelled pre-EA, and had a now-dead email address in there as your contact email, you're boned, as they can't update it or something like that.

arroze
Sep 23, 2010

right, so don't enter?

Jonny 290 posted:

Yeah, I tried to dig up my old account to throw $15 at it just to see the sights, and could not figure out a way to get back in.

I think that if you had cancelled pre-EA, and had a now-dead email address in there as your contact email, you're boned, as they can't update it or something like that.

Unless you had a super high real rank or something, it's probably not a big deal to just start a new character. Least that's my impression. It was such a shock to get back to DAOC after so many more modern MMOS... the controls, layout, maps, etc.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner

PriNGLeS posted:

It's more of an SI era server instead of custom. They have a couple of custom zones to make up for the lack of actual SI content, which has been in development for quite awhile.

It's a good server, all in all, regular bug fixes, active GM/Dev team. But it is hosted in Germany, and the majority of the population is European. So if you play during North American hours you may find it a bit dead. The population takes a nose dive in the early evening CST.

I play mostly nights so I guess it would work out pretty well. Is there an active goon group on there?

Also to the dude who wants to play on a stealther account: I might be reactivating pretty soon but I dunno if you'd be down to share since I still want to play. I have an SB/berserker on mid both completely templated, and a nightshade who is templated on hib and a ranger that is untemplated. I also have another account with buffbots on both sides.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
As far as I know there are no goons playing. I get bored in my high 40s before I cap out of Thidranki (45-49 BG on Uthgard) pretty consistently. And the latency really sucks for me, 240-300 ms.

If you're playing mid I can throw you a few plat. Or if I have a character in your level range I might hop on for some xp with you. I have alts on all realms and various levels.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Your head smells like a puppy.
I was "GM" of the goon guild there for a while, if one can be GM of 5-6 goons rolling around being goony. We played mid, mainly, and probably have some modest amount of loot and whatnot there. There's also a chance we still have a guild house, depending on how much plat the house had before we sort of disappeared. Basically what we ran into was the population thing, it's just really dead during when you'd be playing at night if you're on EST and really, really dead if you attempt it from PST. I was writing my dissertation at the time while I was playing it, so I could play in the mornings and work at night, but if you have a 9-5 its rough. That said, we still had good fun for several months.

If you are going to solo, I'd just make a stealther. Getting groups is a pain for RvR and at least you can get RPs if you stealth. I got an SB to 4Lx and a skald to 4L3 or so and I gotta say, the SB was a lot more fun.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

nousername posted:

It is my understanding that this is currently disabled as they migrated to the new account activation system and there is no ETA on when it will be back. I have two open accounts on live so I can update you dudes in this thread if this is wrong or if this changes.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner

CactarHero posted:

It is my understanding that this is currently disabled as they migrated to the new account activation system and there is no ETA on when it will be back. I have two open accounts on live so I can update you dudes in this thread if this is wrong or if this changes.

Well if that's the case I'll just wait until they respond to my ticket and I'll go ahead and reactivate

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Come around the 11th I am able to play again and could be down for some Dark Age if you are looking for a stealther partner/stealth popper duo.

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner
Yeah I'm down to run a stealther duo/trio. My Nightshade and I will be around on the 11th for sure.

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

Well my semi annual DAoC itch has returned so I think I am going to resub and roll some new dudes. If anybody is interested in playing let me know and maybe we can get a few goons running some bg xp groups or something. I have a couple of 50's with templates on Mid, but no high RR or anything. Haven't really done any rvr outside of battlegrounds since back in the day, so I don't really know anything about NF other than it seems confusing as hell.

Edit: Oh and that there are boats everywhere or something.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

nousername posted:

Yeah I'm down to run a stealther duo/trio. My Nightshade and I will be around on the 11th for sure.

I'll post again when I am back to my gaming pc and have things up and running.

Funkalicious posted:

Well my semi annual DAoC itch has returned so I think I am going to resub and roll some new dudes. If anybody is interested in playing let me know and maybe we can get a few goons running some bg xp groups or something. I have a couple of 50's with templates on Mid, but no high RR or anything. Haven't really done any rvr outside of battlegrounds since back in the day, so I don't really know anything about NF other than it seems confusing as hell.

Edit: Oh and that there are boats everywhere or something.

If you remember OF and how you get to the enemy frontiers (waiting for the gothi to stop being lazy and send you on your way, in the case of your Mids) the boats are basically the same, except instead of teleporting to a TK/PK in Albion or Hibernia, you can 1) run to a dock and ride there quickly or 2) port to your frontier instantly assuming enemies have not cut off the port by strategically taking towers.

Pappasmurf1978
Nov 29, 2011
I got an LGM Spellcrafter on mid if you need the services without paying outrageous prices

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

Pappasmurf1978 posted:

I got an LGM Spellcrafter on mid if you need the services without paying outrageous prices

Sweet! Same goes for anyone in this thread on Alb, I have one there.

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

CactarHero posted:

Sweet! Same goes for anyone in this thread on Alb, I have one there.

Interesting! I am in need of an SC'er coming up soon, msg me in alb: Gnusong

Also:

There are rumors that this month Mythic will be copying characters from Mordred to the Ywain cluster. At the moment you can /level to 40 on Mordred, so if you were thinking of getting a few toons to 40, quickly you could do this.

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Its super quick to level these days anyway.

Most my mid/high rr's are on mordred so thats kind of interesting if its true. Mordred merge rumors have been happening for years.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Ya, I'm currently playing Mid on Uthgard and the population during my primetime is rather annoying but i'm still having a blast.

If the goon guild house is still there and you want someone to hold it just lemme know via PM or ingame. I'm usually on my shaman, Ninx.

And if you wanted to throw a few plat I wouldn't say no

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

Twlight posted:

Interesting! I am in need of an SC'er coming up soon, msg me in alb: Gnusong

When I get back to home (on vacation) I'll do some SC for you, sure.

Rannison posted:

Ya, I'm currently playing Mid on Uthgard and the population during my primetime is rather annoying but i'm still having a blast.

If the goon guild house is still there and you want someone to hold it just lemme know via PM or ingame. I'm usually on my shaman, Ninx.

And if you wanted to throw a few plat I wouldn't say no

I'll also get in touch with you for this when I get back.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
Okay guys, sorry about the wait. I'm back home from vacation. I can do that sc, pop in on Uthgard or do anything else we've been talking about.

Rannison
Sep 18, 2007

Hope you had a good vacation, bud!

My playtimes are slightly varied as of late due to work so just lemme know when I can try to meet up with you on Uth

nousername
Mar 1, 2005
mainliner

CactarHero posted:

Okay guys, sorry about the wait. I'm back home from vacation. I can do that sc, pop in on Uthgard or do anything else we've been talking about.

I will be reactivating my accounts either today or tomorrow if you're still interested in running a stealther duo/trio.

make that tomorrow since my check hasn't posted yet

nousername fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 14, 2013

Cnaiur
Jan 14, 2013
Interested in joining as well, will re-install the game and sub tonight. Any EU players active? Might save me from playing deep into the night, on working days.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

Rannison posted:

Hope you had a good vacation, bud!

My playtimes are slightly varied as of late due to work so just lemme know when I can try to meet up with you on Uth

Yeah it was good enough. Having a nice computer again is pretty nice too. I'm actually on Uthgard right now, glad to see that the house didn't get repossessed. Not sure if you use that AIM name in your profile but I added you to my list and will keep an eye out for you. My aim name is the same as my forum name.

nousername posted:

I will be reactivating my accounts either today or tomorrow if you're still interested in running a stealther duo/trio.

make that tomorrow since my check hasn't posted yet

Sure, let's give it a shot. If you want to check it out before you spring for a bot, I have a bot account open.

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

Anybody playing Alb on Uthgard?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

I just updated for Uthgard since they got rid of the free two week sub for live. Going to be playing Albion. We should get a guild together...

I will have a mumble for us later.

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

Currently leveling a Paladin (14), name is Dyaus. Hit me up if anybody wants to level.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

On right now as Zhyres/Paladin. I have a cleric named Cliffton, as well.

Uthgard.

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004
You guys are brave, Alb/Uthgard is a hard road.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

CactarHero posted:

Shits and giggles, my friend. Old style exp rates still give me PTSD. However I'm taking my medicine: The Cabalist.

Frozen to Death
Mar 27, 2010

CactarHero posted:

Why do you say that? I am relatively new to Uthgard, but there seems to be a healthy Alb population running around. I have heard it can be tough to get RVR groups later on though. Is that what you're referring to?

CactarHero
Jan 28, 2004

Funkalicious posted:

Why do you say that? I am relatively new to Uthgard, but there seems to be a healthy Alb population running around. I have heard it can be tough to get RVR groups later on though. Is that what you're referring to?

I played there for quite a while and Alb was always getting stomped by far more dominant Mids and far far more dominant Hibs. If you saw an Alb group you made a beeline for it because that was gonna be an easy target. It also translates into not having relics, which tends to matter a lot. Since you see the same enemies a lot of the time, you tend to know who you can beat and who you can't. For instance, on my shadowblade I knew I could beat anyone solo in Thid (except maybe a reaver, those things are insane there) if I had the strength relics but I would lose to a lot of the same people if it were reversed.

The good news is that a well-played alb group isn't any worse than the other two realms there. Hib is the real gimmick, what with rangers being so ridiculously dominant in the build they are using (they get physical defense, can see their natural enemies, assassins, from far away and avoid them, they get buffs without risking the buffbot rules).

Finding an rvr group is sort of hard on any realm, I doubt its any more difficult on Alb.

CactarHero fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Jan 19, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowboybot
Sep 27, 2007
On a steel horse I ride
Are Thanes still terrible? I remember when I played back in the day (release) they were utterly terrible.

• Locked thread