Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
appingo
Dec 26, 2012
Togami and Sonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandgoose
Apr 26, 2010
Since I've been following the thread but had nothing to say until now, I'll go ahead and throw a vote for Gundam, truly a kindred spirit. And Sonia too.

likecnsnnts
Jun 16, 2008

SPLINTER CELLULITE
Think we can call the voting yet? This is insane.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

likecnsnnts posted:

Think we can call the voting yet? This is insane.

Not that it's really needed, but should oren want to, here's a vote tally so far:

Gundam Tanaka: 122
Byakuya Togami: 115
Sonia Nevermind: 86
Nagito Komaeda: 44
Nekomaru Nidai: 36
Kazuichi Souda: 31
Chiaki Nanami: 27
Peko Pekoyama: 18
Ibuki Mioda: 16
Fuyuhiko Kuzuryuu: 15
Hiyoko Saionji: 10
Teruteru Hanamura: 10
Akane Owari: 9
Mahiru Koizumi: 4
Mikan Tsumiki: 2

Themata
Dec 10, 2011

If you want a pizza this pie
You can crust that
I won't cheese on you
Dance on the groove flour
And I'll give you a disco-unt
Poor Mikan, she can't even hold onto her pity votes without losing one. :(

At this point there seems to be no point in voting, but I'll add mine for Togami and Gundam just to ensure it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Themata posted:

Poor Mikan, she can't even hold onto her pity votes without losing one. :(

At this point there seems to be no point in voting, but I'll add mine for Togami and Gundam just to ensure it.

I think it's already pretty drat ensured at this point dude.

Valahmalah
Jul 22, 2011

Who are you people?
Gundam and Sonia.

Wyvernil
Mar 10, 2007

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons... for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Not that it's really needed, but should oren want to, here's a vote tally so far:

Gundam Tanaka: 122
Byakuya Togami: 115
Sonia Nevermind: 86
Nekomaru Nidai: 36
Kazuichi Souda: 31
Ibuki Mioda: 16
Teruteru Hanamura: 10
Akane Owari: 9
Mikan Tsumiki: 2

Whoa, that vote count really IS insane. I don't think any of the vote counts in the first game's thread broke a hundred votes for an individual character. Then again, this thread is now at over a hundred pages and a million views, and we haven't even had a murder yet.

Just for comparison, here's the final vote count of the first Free Time vote from the first game:

The first game's thread posted:

Sakura Oogami: 26
Kyouko Kirigiri: 20
Touko Fukawa: 19
Celestia Ludenberg: 12
Hifumi Yamada: 9
Chihiro Fujisaki: 8
Leon Kuwata: 7
Kiyotaka Ishimaru: 7
Mondo Oowada: 5
Aoi Asahina: 4
Byakuya Togami: 4
Yasuhiro Hagakure: 3
Junko Enoshima: 3
Sayaka Maizono: 1

That's quite the difference there.

SgtKirby
Nov 19, 2012

HelloWinter posted:

My two choices are painfully obvious.

This is too cute! Sonia and Gundam.

Sue
Apr 1, 2008

I'd like to vote for Ibuki Mioda and Teruteru Hanamura.

ANIME MONSTROSITY
Jun 1, 2012

by XyloJW
Nidai and Hanamura.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

lotus circle posted:

Yikes this thread goes fast when voting periods come up. It's a little daunting actually. Good luck counting all those votes :shepface: I don't have the energy to go through dozens of pages of votes to see who is in the lead or not, so I'll toss in votes for my current favorites.

Gundam and Akane for Free Time.

I'm going to retract my vote for Akane and give it to Sonia instead, now that I have a better idea of who is leading and not.

Togami I think is important enough to the plot (seeing as he is a returning character) that he will be given a lot of screen time anyway. Same with Nagito. We're going to learn things about them one way or another, so giving the vote to the characters who are less obviously plot involved seems like the better route to get to know them more. Gundam is cool, but he's a huge gag character. Sonia has potential and we have less of an idea how that potential will play out than we do for Nagito and Togami, who will almost definitely become big plot characters (1% chance that they don't in my opinion).

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Sonia because she just gave a spiel straight out Richard J. Evans' The Coming of the Third Reich and Tsumiki because she really needs someone to be nice to her.

Elanor
Oct 14, 2012
I'd like to cast both of my votes for Souda. I really hope he doesn't die first!!
If not possible, Souda and Sonia.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Okay, let's end the voting here -- I don't think any more are going to change the results.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.
The tally after orenronen's post:

Gundam Tanaka: 125
Byakuya Togami: 116
Sonia Nevermind: 91
Nekomaru Nidai: 37
Kazuichi Souda: 32
Ibuki Mioda: 17
Teruteru Hanamura: 12
Akane Owari: 8
Mikan Tsumiki: 3

So Gundam and Togami it is then.

LordNagash
Dec 29, 2012
Jesus, that was a lot of votes. When I saw there was three hundred new posts earlier today I thought someone must have died already. Although if the first game is any guide, that's probably not too far off now.

As for the giant.... bomb(?) - A bomb doesn't really fit Monobear's MO from the first game at all, where every new motive was about showing how weak and petty people could be when they allegedly had the option of just living there forever peacefully. So whoever is in charge this time has a different endgame in mind, seemingly one where increasing desperation over this countdown causes people to flip out and kill each other.

As an aside, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if when the countdown reaches zero it shoots out confetti.

Walterion
Feb 26, 2010
Yay for Mr Porkfeet.
Also, since Wyvernil posted the first game's free time event, Togami didn't even scratch the top 5 for the free time event. Now he is 2nd by a huge amount of votes.

What a sequel can do to a character.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Walterion posted:

Yay for Mr Porkfeet.
Also, since Wyvernil posted the first game's free time event, Togami didn't even scratch the top 5 for the free time event. Now he is 2nd by a huge amount of votes.

What a sequel can do to a character.

He's sure won over the audience by now.

It almost makes me want him to end up being a killer or even the mastermind, if only for the reactions if that does happen to be the case.

prahanormal
Mar 8, 2011

heya /

Wyvernil posted:

Whoa, that vote count really IS insane. I don't think any of the vote counts in the first game's thread broke a hundred votes for an individual character. Then again, this thread is now at over a hundred pages and a million views, and we haven't even had a murder yet.

Just for comparison, here's the final vote count of the first Free Time vote from the first game:

That's quite the difference there.

We've also had what, 10+ probations come out of this thread already. It's what happens when you get a huge influx of people joining for one thread.

Granted, I can see why it's happening. The first game was really shining gem in a genre that doesn't get a lot of popularity outside of Japan. This one appears to be more of the same.

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine
Gundam has proven himself to be the best character this update. My vote is obvious.

Gundam and Togami.

Ymirs Gate
Jan 5, 2013
Kazuichi and Chiaki

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Lynkericious posted:

Gundam has proven himself to be the best character this update. My vote is obvious.

Gundam and Togami.

You're too late to vote friend. Luckily enough, the characters you voted for won anyway.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

prahanormal posted:

We've also had what, 10+ probations come out of this thread already. It's what happens when you get a huge influx of people joining for one thread.

Granted, I can see why it's happening. The first game was really shining gem in a genre that doesn't get a lot of popularity outside of Japan. This one appears to be more of the same.

It is also the only place you can see a playthrough of it in english in full and not just a summary. The first one really drew in a lot of people near the end, and now we've got that audience and it keeps growing as more and more people talk about DR1 and DR2.

It's not hard to see why the mods are really cracking down on worthless posts. This thread is getting too huge without them.

a spooky ghost
Jan 1, 2010

stay the same never change

Ineffiable posted:

It's not hard to see why the mods are really cracking down on worthless posts. This thread is getting too huge without them.

It makes me wonder if there is a more elegant solution to voting, as we're going to add like ten pages of essentially nothing every time there's something to vote on.

CrashScreen
Nov 11, 2012

a spooky ghost posted:

It makes me wonder if there is a more elegant solution to voting, as we're going to add like ten pages of essentially nothing every time there's something to vote on.

There are a couple of sites that are mostly Goon exclusive. I guess it may be worthwhile asking one of the hosts for a voting system of sorts?

Lynkericious
Nov 7, 2012

Super High-School Level Eating Machine

onoflalks posted:

You're too late to vote friend. Luckily enough, the characters you voted for won anyway.

Yeah, I had just gotten home from work and saw the update. Didn't even bother jumping to the last page to see if voting was finished like I should have. Whoops. Sorry about that.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

I'd like to echo again, can we please have numbers for the updates in the actual update post?
They help me with the circuitous methods I use to browse the thread for daily updates and skip 10 pages of voting. I'm sure they'll also help anyone who is reading to catch-up from the beginning like when I first discovered the original thread.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

a spooky ghost posted:

I think we do have a solution. We had a character popularity vote near the end of DR1 and it was on an external website. It would cut down a good chunk, especially if we're going to generate 5 pages of voting every time we have an update that has a vote.

Actually, I'm surprised we didn't use that again, but this is the first vote for DR2 and hopefully this prompts using that website again.

Tax Refund
Apr 15, 2011

The IRS gave me a refund. I spent it on this SA account. What was I thinking?!
Darn, missed the voting, but GundaMinsc and Togami won anyway, so my vote would have been completely redundant.

21 days before the bomb blows up the island (I assume). Each murder, once someone cracks and the murders start, will remove at least two people, one victim and one executed murderer. (Possibly more in the case of two victims, though as we know from DR1 there's a possibility of removing only a single person, so take this math with a grain of salt.) That means no more than 7 murders can happen before the cast is down to two people, which means an average of three days per murder. Assuming things stay consistent, and it's a pretty safe bet that they WON'T.

And with all the interesting stuff to do on the island (vending machines! digital pets!), those three days are probably going to pass pretty fast...

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.
I was going to vote for Gundam and Togami, although there's a lot of characters I really like and would like to get around to talking to. I hope they don't get killed off before we get to know them better. :ohdear:

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

SWMadness posted:

I was going to vote for Gundam and Togami, although there's a lot of characters I really like and would like to get around to talking to. I hope they don't get killed off before we get to know them better. :ohdear:

Uh, sorry to break it to you, but the voting is over now.

SWMadness
Jul 16, 2011

Excellent.

RefinedUndefined posted:

Uh, sorry to break it to you, but the voting is over now.

Heh, yeah I realized that literally two seconds after posting.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

SWMadness posted:

Gundam's probably going to be okay for now, but Togami's setting off so many death flags that I'd be surprised if he makes it out of this chapter alive.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Tax Refund posted:

21 days before the bomb blows up the island (I assume).

Clearly it's counting down to the international beer pong championships. That's why everyone's gone; there simply aren't enough Solo cups on the island.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
Nagito and Mikan.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Viola the Mad posted:

Nagito and Mikan.

Thanks for paying attention to the last twenty posts.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

SWMadness posted:

Even if they die I'm sure orenronen is going to do the characters we don't get to later on after the main game is over, much like how he's doing free time events for the first Dangan Ronpa. Free time events are just for fun and to see a little more about the character, but honestly I'd be disappointed in the game if the character development is put into optional segments (which free time events are, as you can opt to not do them). There shouldn't be a need to rely on free time events to see a character develop and any free time you spend with a character doesn't factor into the main story (like characters you spent free time with shouldn't ever mention spending time with Hinata during the actual story, like how no characters mentioned spending free time with Naegi.)

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Talking about death flags, has anyone noticed how deeply Hanamura is still in denial? It seems his meltdown is certain once a murder occurs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

Jeek posted:

Talking about death flags, has anyone noticed how deeply Hanamura is still in denial? It seems his meltdown is certain once a murder occurs.

Hanamura is giving me deep vibes of the girl who committed the first murder in DR1. He's delusional in his denial but cracking a little around the edges.

I'm guessing he'd go after Nagito if he went the way of Maizono, because his hopeful attitude sort of clashes against his denial; dude's denying it to stay sane, and here's another dude who actually BELIEVES everything is okay. And who also is cockblocking him.

That or Togami since he's still a bit of a lording, down-talking prick, and is actually acknowleding Hanamura's fears and trying to tell people to curb their denial. But look how Togami outlasted in the last game, despite being what he was.

Though I could be way off base and the first murder will be as surprising as the first one in DR1. Maybe it'll happen practically in plain sight of everyone instead of in a 'locked room' case like the first one, or maybe it won't be discovered for days. Basically argh more updates.

• Locked thread