Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow, I forgot how huge the Gears influence was in UT3. Hello, Marcus Fenix. :colbert:
Hell, one of the maps in UT3 was literally salvaged from a cut area from Gears 1. It really was the stepchild at Epic at the time :(

I'd love for UT and arena deathmatch in general to make a return, but Quake Live did poorly and with Cliffy leaving Epic I can't see them doing anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Yodzilla posted:

The Unreal and Unreal Tournament OST are pretty great for background programming music.

poo poo, and here I thought I was the only one. :respek:

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
At every E3 that rolls around I hope against hope that Epic will suddenly announce a brand-spankin' new Unreal game that will harken back to the original tone and style of the first game; ie, being trapped on a bizarre alien planet filled with loads of hostile monsters and mysterious temples with no-one but your own isolation and the doomed logs of dead survivors to keep you company. Huge levels, exploration, and a hint of survival mechanics would make for an awesome single player experience.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Zaphod42 posted:

Oh wow, I forgot how huge the Gears influence was in UT3. Hello, Marcus Fenix. :colbert:

I can't look at that guy without thinking of the edit someone made of a UT3 screenshot where he's Johnny Fiveaces and the subtitles are something about "that loving clock". Unfortunately I didn't save it and GIS only has tiny thumbnail versions.

deadpan
Feb 2, 2004

Honestly this is all I remember of UT3. Such a bland game.

edit: that's not entirely true, I do remember that everyone ran really slow. To compensate everyone had hoverboards which they could use at any time, but they couldn't go up any slight change in elevation and were therefore totally useless.

deadpan fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 22, 2013

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

The biggest things I remember about UT3 are the campaign explaining how important Onslaught mode's power generators were to the repsawn-based invasion forces, and all of the main characters being killed off-screen during the final deathmatch.

Oh, and the terrible, terrible levels. The Gears of War level was, if memory serves, the deathmatch level with the tripod walker in the Blade Runner-ish setting. Plus the Nuremberg-worthy sandstorm level. And the CTF bridge level that was literally a straight line between two flags (and that was one of the better ones).

JackMackerel
Jun 15, 2011

deadpan posted:

Bulletstorm is an interesting case because on one hand you have the devs from People Can Fly, who were happy with a Doom/Quake-style premise in Painkiller: You are a guy fighting ridiculous demons and here are some guns, have fun. On the other hand you have Epic's influence, with their odd plot justifications for gameplay elements in the Unreal and Gears of War games (Unreal 3 was particularly bad about this from what I remember). I can't imagine how awful Bulletstorm would have been if they hadn't played it as a comedy.

Add me to the list of people who never opened the Quake manual and had no idea what the story was supposed to be about.

Funnily enough, there IS a guy named Quake, but it's just the codename for the final boss. :science:

Also, am I the only one who thinks Painkiller started out the same way as Quake: originally completely different and story-driven, turned into almost storyless mashup of random environments? Heck, you can't even watch one crucial cutscene, unless you played it on hard.

^ Don't forget less support for custom models. I miss all the crazy player models UT2004 had. Mechs made from scrap, velociraptors, monsters made from two unfortunate scientists and ship scrap...

Bloodmobile
Jun 15, 2012
Apparently zDoom thinks there's no such thing as an accident and gladly deleted my only save game for the community map after I accidentally pressed delete while trying to load it. I was almost through Eastern Complex, and that part was such unfun bullshit that I never want to play through it again. If anyone happens to have a save that's around those parts they could put up on dropbox, they'd have my undying gratitude.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.

Bloodmobile posted:

Apparently zDoom thinks there's no such thing as an accident and gladly deleted my only save game for the community map after I accidentally pressed delete while trying to load it. I was almost through Eastern Complex, and that part was such unfun bullshit that I never want to play through it again. If anyone happens to have a save that's around those parts they could put up on dropbox, they'd have my undying gratitude.

Or just point your launcher at the relevant map/cheat to it? :confused:

Edit: Hurf, you mean that extra large map thing don't you? My mistake.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Jan 22, 2013

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

DoombatINC posted:

And the CTF bridge level that was literally a straight line between two flags (and that was one of the better ones).

Yeah but that's been a UT thing since Facing Worlds.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zaphod42 posted:

I've been saying that a ton about movies lately. On the one hand, you have recent hollywood's trend with dumbed down least common denominator movies, we better spell out the plot extra clear so nobody in the back gets left behind, movies like Harry Potter (not saying its a bad movie) where the main character acts as a stand-in for the audience to vicariously learn what's going on. What is all this?!? So Harry asks questions, and we the audience get answers.

Contrast that with a movie like Ghost in the Shell, my favorite example. GITS drops you in media res, right in the middle of the story already going on. They don't explain dick to you, you have to pay attention. They don't have to stop and say "look, its the future, there are cyborgs, this guy is probably a hacker, maybe these people are criminals?" No, it has the confidence to say, "We're going to put all these elements together and show you something as though it was real, and we're going to get the details right so that you should be able to understand just from watching." Its SO much better that way. Its not like lazy Sci-Fi, I don't get the feeling that the author of GITS couldn't come up with explanations (and the manga does go some more in detail), but rather that we didn't need to know them. In fact, there's so many tiny details in everything that you don't have time for, its a joy to discover them on repeat viewings and slowly realize more and more of how everything fits together in this world. You get the feeling that on the opposite, the author DID take the time to explain everything, but then kept it all a secret, and now you want to figure it out. Its so much more fun.

This is more generally called tell vs. show (or tell vs. show vs. imply), and it's pretty commonly considered that showing or implying is a much better option than telling, whether it's movies, games, or books.

On the other hand, telling is easiest, and also the hardest for the player/reader to misunderstand. Why bother hinting at things, or show the reader something they might misinterpret, when you can just paste a few pages of your setting and backstory notes in? :sigh:

JackMackerel posted:

Also, am I the only one who thinks Painkiller started out the same way as Quake: originally completely different and story-driven, turned into almost storyless mashup of random environments? Heck, you can't even watch one crucial cutscene, unless you played it on hard.

Wait, what cutscene is that? The only difficulty-dependent changes I remember (to the story, I mean) is that on Trauma the entire fifth chapter, Hell, doesn't happen; the game ends at the end of chapter 4 with Daniel accepting ascension into Heaven rather than chasing his foe into Hell.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Bloodmobile posted:

I once lost a save because it crashed while writing the save. So since then, I've adopted something I've seen on a forum. Type this in the console:
code:
bind f6 "special autosave"
Now when you quicksave with F6, instead of always writing in the same spot, it writes in a different spot each time. You can even increase the number of autosave slots.

It also solves the problem of making a quicksave just before getting a surprise rocket in the butt. If the game crashes, deletes the save, or it is otherwise unusable; there is a not-too-old save waiting to be loaded.

I've also seen somebody who made a mod which makes an autosave every five minutes or so. Here it is.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Don't savescum.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Watching all those old Quake speedruns and machinima videos is great. Really brings me back.

For me, this was my all time favorite quake video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVJ__rBFxk

I played Team Fortress when I was still in elementary school, and it just blew me away. But that video in particular, the music fits the action so well, and everything perfectly captures the mood of Team Fortress. Everyone is going to die, everyone is going to be gibbed and everything is going to be chaos and it is going to be glorious; you'll just respawn and do it again.

Does anybody still play TF? I might have to download it and see.

I downloaded Doom TF for skulltag awhile ago, which was pretty silly, but I didn't really see anybody playing. But that was a reverse port anyways, Quake was the original.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Zaphod42 posted:

Watching all those old Quake speedruns and machinima videos is great. Really brings me back.

For me, this was my all time favorite quake video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FVJ__rBFxk

I played Team Fortress when I was still in elementary school, and it just blew me away. But that video in particular, the music fits the action so well, and everything perfectly captures the mood of Team Fortress. Everyone is going to die, everyone is going to be gibbed and everything is going to be chaos and it is going to be glorious; you'll just respawn and do it again.

Does anybody still play TF? I might have to download it and see.

I downloaded Doom TF for skulltag awhile ago, which was pretty silly, but I didn't really see anybody playing. But that was a reverse port anyways, Quake was the original.

IIRC the only life Quake TF has is the occasional pick-up match. A few years ago, there was a pub server in Brazil, but it wasn't very active. Not sure if its still online.

TFC isn't much better. You either have 2fort 24/7 (Drippy's) or a community filled with 20 and 30-somethings that still think spewing racist slurs and acting like 4chan users is the height of comedy (Gas Chamber). Plus, Gas Chamber usually plays 2fort these days, which means your choices are either 2fort or 2fort with asshats. :smith: The others classic servers, like Royston and Twisted Dustbowl, are dead when I get on (around 7 PM EST).

closeted republican fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 22, 2013

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

For those who want their Doom to have a little more punch when playing standard level packs, but don't want the balance tweaks of Brutal Doom, I'd recommend trying Doom Expanded.

Adds more variety to enemy death animations, some particle blood splatter and various special effects, but doesn't seem to affect gameplay at all. It also comes with a really good custom HUD - all the information of the ZDoom alternative HUD, but much prettier and has the Doomguy reaction face on it, too. Some neat details, like colour-graded bars, so your ammo bar will slowly turn orange, then red as it empties, and then start blinking when it's very low.

Seems to work great with anything vanilla-ish, such as Back To Saturn X.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Korendian Leader posted:

Don't savescum.

There's nothing scummy in saving. It's reloading at every mistake that is borderline godmoding.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Cat Mattress posted:

There's nothing scummy in saving. It's reloading at every mistake that is borderline godmoding.

Yeah, a lot of modern levels are 2-5x (or more) as long as anything in classic Doom or Doom 2. You're generally expected to save a couple of times along the way. The good ones have autosaves/checkpoints.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.

Cat Mattress posted:

I once lost a save because it crashed while writing the save. So since then, I've adopted something I've seen on a forum. Type this in the console:
code:
bind f6 "special autosave"
Now when you quicksave with F6, instead of always writing in the same spot, it writes in a different spot each time. You can even increase the number of autosave slots.

It also solves the problem of making a quicksave just before getting a surprise rocket in the butt. If the game crashes, deletes the save, or it is otherwise unusable; there is a not-too-old save waiting to be loaded.

I've also seen somebody who made a mod which makes an autosave every five minutes or so. Here it is.
Is there a way for this to work in Zandronum? I've tried bind f6 "special autosave" and it just gives me an "Unknown command: "special"" error message.

koren
Sep 7, 2003

Dominic White posted:

Yeah, a lot of modern levels are 2-5x (or more) as long as anything in classic Doom or Doom 2. You're generally expected to save a couple of times along the way. The good ones have autosaves/checkpoints.
There are doom maps with checkpoints and autosaves?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Korendian Leader posted:

Zdoom has autosave triggers available to modders.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Zero Star posted:

Is there a way for this to work in Zandronum? I've tried bind f6 "special autosave" and it just gives me an "Unknown command: "special"" error message.

Unfortunately, the "special" console command was added in ZDoom 2.6.0, so it's not present in Zandronum.

Korendian Leader posted:

Yes. ZDoom maps, at least. Off the top of my head, there's Demons of Problematique 2 in which the checkpoints are represented by a little sprite (IIRC, a floppy disk). Pick one up and it autosaves. If you don't want to autosave, you can walk around it. I know there are other ZDoom mods with autosaves but I don't remember exactly which.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Did the actual QL thread fall off the forums? I was looking for it as I have been playing again; I need people to play duel with.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Dominic White posted:

The good ones have autosaves/checkpoints.

Uh, the only doom wad I think I've played with autosaves is Winter's Fury and (I think) tribute.wad, and neither of those were great in terms of design. A map transition usually takes the place of a checkpoint for most wads.

Unrestricted saving/loading is really really sloppy, unconfident design to me, and probably the biggest thing I hate about Doom and most classic PC games. If I can't do the map without quicksaving, 9 times out of 10 I can't do the map.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Did the actual QL thread fall off the forums? I was looking for it as I have been playing again; I need people to play duel with.

They did a lot of lovely stuff to QL and it lost a lot of popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if it has disappeared.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Tiger Schwert posted:

They did a lot of lovely stuff to QL and it lost a lot of popularity, I wouldn't be surprised if it has disappeared.

I did a search and is this the map pool change for free users? I actually like QL over normal Q3 mostly for the ability to configure tons more things, so I every once in a while fork over a few bucks. Not to mention the start a match thing lets you change everything and you can have the most bizarre server if you wanted. It only lets you invite 5 free players but thats fine by me as I prefer small matches anyway.

Edit: The other day I was dicking around with Q2 and noticed people still playing dm. It reminded me how I used to spend my summers playing mods all night on dial up. I used to love jailbreak and red rover! I feel like mods for Q3 just didn't feel the same - although I have an unhealthy amount of time spent in RA3.

SPACE HOMOS fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jan 22, 2013

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

Dominic White posted:

For those who want their Doom to have a little more punch when playing standard level packs, but don't want the balance tweaks of Brutal Doom, I'd recommend trying Doom Expanded.

Adds more variety to enemy death animations, some particle blood splatter and various special effects, but doesn't seem to affect gameplay at all. It also comes with a really good custom HUD - all the information of the ZDoom alternative HUD, but much prettier and has the Doomguy reaction face on it, too. Some neat details, like colour-graded bars, so your ammo bar will slowly turn orange, then red as it empties, and then start blinking when it's very low.

Seems to work great with anything vanilla-ish, such as Back To Saturn X.

Looking at the screenshot for this, I have one question: why does every weapon replacement mod have to flip the pistol to be right handed? It doesn't look right at all, wherever possible I just load up the wad in SLADE and flip that thing straight over.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

Convex posted:

Looking at the screenshot for this, I have one question: why does every weapon replacement mod have to flip the pistol to be right handed? It doesn't look right at all, wherever possible I just load up the wad in SLADE and flip that thing straight over.

I think all the other weapon animations are right handed, so ~*immersion*~

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Convex posted:

Every other weapon sprite in Doom appears to be held right handed, so it's likely a consistency thing.

Tiger Schwert posted:

Unrestricted saving/loading is really really sloppy, unconfident design to me, and probably the biggest thing I hate about Doom and most classic PC games. If I can't do the map without quicksaving, 9 times out of 10 I can't do the map.
It's also never, ever changing in ZDoom. One of the engine developers was very, very clear on that. Oh well.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Some levels are sorta impossible to do without some saving, and yet are still really good. Sunder is a prime example.

I'm a huge advocate for never saving in the middle of a level (i think it makes the game way more fun) but free saving shouldn't just be up and removed, either.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

The Kins posted:

It's also never, ever changing in ZDoom. One of the engine developers was very, very clear on that. Oh well.

Strange thing to be "very, very clear" about. What sort of things were they saying? I don't understand what ZDoom as an engine would even do apart from perhaps offer MAPINFO flags to mappers.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Dominic White posted:

Looks pretty good, except for those explosions. They look pretty bad in comparison to Beautiful or Brutal Doom. Hope they make those look a little nicer at some point.

I actually have a really dumb question about ZDoom in general though. Is there a way to get to the regular shotgun instantly without having to cycle through the SSG?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Tiger Schwert posted:

Strange thing to be "very, very clear" about. What sort of things were they saying? I don't understand what ZDoom as an engine would even do apart from perhaps offer MAPINFO flags to mappers.
The developer who responded basically expressed (pretty bluntly) that he had no interest in really supporting anything beyond traditional Doom-ish gameplay (as opposed to the arcade-y stuff I like doing), if I remember correctly. He's also refused or restricted some other features in the past over the (probably misplaced) fear of someone abusing them to create "malicious" or "abusive" mods, and I think that had a part in it too. Kind of annoying, but ah well.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
"You can save and reload at any time" is a core feature of the Doom engine and should never be removed from any major source port. The game wasn't designed to be "everything must be very difficult and if you screw up you have to go back to the beginning and 50 bullets" so decrying "savescumming" in Doom is just stupid.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Install Gentoo posted:

"You can save and reload at any time" is a core feature of the Doom engine and should never be removed from any major source port. The game wasn't designed to be "everything must be very difficult and if you screw up you have to go back to the beginning and 50 bullets" so decrying "savescumming" in Doom is just stupid.
Oh, I'd never rip it out just for difficulty's sake. That's dumb. But in Reelism, unless the player manually disables autosaves the game will make an autosave after you win a round, causing your next round on that map (unless you restart from the New Game menu) to always have the same RNG seed even if you die, so the reels will always be the same. Kind of a pain, but ah well.

danbo
Dec 29, 2010

Install Gentoo posted:

The game wasn't designed to be trivial either, which savescumming makes it.

And when you die in vanilla doom2.exe, you literally go back to the start of the map with a pistol and 50 rounds. I'm sure you knew that though.

The Kins posted:

Oh, I'd never rip it out just for difficulty's sake. That's dumb. But in Reelism, unless the player manually disables autosaves the game will make an autosave after you win a round, causing your next round on that map (unless you restart from the New Game menu) to always have the same RNG seed even if you die, so the reels will always be the same. Kind of a pain, but ah well.

Oh, last time I tried Reelism I was wondering why I was getting the same rolls. Interesting.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Tiger Schwert posted:

And when you die in vanilla doom2.exe, you literally go back to the start of the map with a pistol and 50 rounds. I'm sure you knew that though.

Savescum is a stupid term.

And in vanilla doom2.exe you can immediately reload your last save from the menu and continue on your way, this time not getting shot in the face by the Cacodemon in the monster closet...

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Install Gentoo posted:

Savescum is a stupid term.

Originally it came from roguelikes, and meant backing up your save file and then restoring it from backup when you died (because the game would erase it when you died). Sometimes this even had implications for other players, as it meant you could leave behind multiple copies of the same dead character for other people to encounter and get a high score recorded with a character who should have died.

These days it just means "any use of save/load features that I feel damages the ~purity~ of my singleplayer experience, even if I'm not the one doing it" :jerkbag:

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I've never known someone who has played a Doom game and when respawned back at the beginning of the level with no supplies just said "yeah okay that's how it should be." You always reloaded a previous save and were expected to keep running saves as you played. That's just how it was with games of that era. Hell all of the Build engine games did the same thing when you died and people just knew to reload a save there too.

Which makes me wonder now, what was the first FPS to feature a proper checkpoint system?

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Yodzilla posted:

I've never known someone who has played a Doom game and when respawned back at the beginning of the level with no supplies just said "yeah okay that's how it should be." You always reloaded a previous save and were expected to keep running saves as you played. That's just how it was with games of that era. Hell all of the Build engine games did the same thing when you died and people just knew to reload a save there too.

Which makes me wonder now, what was the first FPS to feature a proper checkpoint system?

I know Half-Life had autosaving. Checkpoints proper, Medal of Honor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Tiger Schwert posted:

Why? Why do you care? Why is this even a debate? :psyduck:

Do you know what the nice thing about having that feature is? It means people can use it or not use it if they want to. id Software doesn't give a poo poo how you play their game as long as you paid for it and are having fun.

Did Carmack give a keynote speech about those savescums and how they're ruining the game and not playing it how it was meant to be played at a Quakecon or something?