Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I've seen golden eagles and osprey in Scotland, there are puffins on the west coast and Hebrides, and apparently in SE England you can even find parrots. I too am a bit envious of some of the cool animals the rest of the world has, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
No, you think you've seen Osprey. Then you go to Florida, park you car, and realise there's one sat ten metres away in a tree nonchalantly ignoring you. Then you've seen an Osprey. Lock Garten's view-down-the-telescope doesn't seem quite the same after that!

I'm off to Skomer this summer, so have Puffins, Razorbills and Guillemots on my 2013 todo list.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Puffins are my favourite bird by so, so far.

You expect them to be the size of a rugby ball (since you're British, football to Americans) but nooooo they're sooooooo tiny, like 10cms tall, and the most adorable little things on the planet.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Nah, a friend of mine worked for the Forestry Commission and gave me a private tour of this place. It's a pretty cool area, also has a nice hide for watching red squirrels, woodpeckers and all sorts of smaller birds. But that does sound cool in Florida, it would be awesome to see them properly wild. I've never seen puffins yet and I would love to, hopefully this year I'll manage to get out to the isles at the right time for once.

big scary monsters fucked around with this message at 01:36 on Jan 21, 2013

doodle_duck_dandy
Sep 20, 2006

Tiny by HelloWorldEp1, on Flickr

Stonechat, not very clear, but shot handheld 283mm (200mm with tele) @ 1/20, amazing anything came out at all.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

icechris posted:

Wish we had more interesting birds like some of you guys have. All we seem to have is pigeons, ducks, crows and tits.

I can't speak to your location, but I'd bet you'd be astonished at how many bird species are around. I didn't even realize that some of our most common species existed until I found my local birding listserv and had my mind blown. It's all about knowing where and when to look and what to look for. If you've got Red Kites in the area than color me jealous. If I recall correctly InternetJunky spent most of last winter looking for Snowy Owls without much luck, but he got hooked up with good information this year and has been much more successful.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can't speak to your location, but I'd bet you'd be astonished at how many bird species are around. I didn't even realize that some of our most common species existed until I found my local birding listserv and had my mind blown. It's all about knowing where and when to look and what to look for. If you've got Red Kites in the area than color me jealous. If I recall correctly InternetJunky spent most of last winter looking for Snowy Owls without much luck, but he got hooked up with good information this year and has been much more successful.
Everything you say is true. There's a nature group doing a winter bird count in my city, and they're up to 73 separate species now. I never realised the variety around here, even in the dead of winter. Before I joined the group I would probably have been able to track down 15-20 of those. I spent 3 winters unsuccessfully looking for snowy owls, and this year after finally getting some info on some locations I'm up to almost 30 separate snowys I think. The great gray owls I keep posting are a group of 4 that are hunting in a roughly 20x20km patch of land. If you don't get info on where they are you could be driving around for weeks in either direction and probably never see one.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
The bit about Internet Junky's bad luck last year, looking for snowy's, is my fault - I baited him with pictures of Saskatchewan owls atop power poles alongside quiet roads. Trouble is, ALL of Saskathewan's roads are like that, while Alberta is also inhabited by people as well as birds. That makes his successes even more impressive, if that's possible. I really want to see some Great Greys and Northern Hawk Owls in the wild when I get back to Canada.

Having spent hours digging through my National Geographic Birds of North America, I was expecting Tasmania to have more than the 172 species listed in my Field Guide to Tasmanian Birds (insert "duh" comment here regarding Island Biogeography Theory). Not that I have any chance of seeing and identifying more than a small fraction of that total (LBFs are universal, it seems), but yeah, there are a lot of different birds around, pretty much everywhere.

Less talk more bird

SD 113 Alternate Mountain 38 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 113 Alternate Mountain 44 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 113 Alternate Mountain 51 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 113 Alternate Mountain 52 by Execudork, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...

InternetJunky posted:

Everything you say is true. There's a nature group doing a winter bird count in my city, and they're up to 73 separate species now. I never realised the variety around here, even in the dead of winter. Before I joined the group I would probably have been able to track down 15-20 of those. I spent 3 winters unsuccessfully looking for snowy owls, and this year after finally getting some info on some locations I'm up to almost 30 separate snowys I think. The great gray owls I keep posting are a group of 4 that are hunting in a roughly 20x20km patch of land. If you don't get info on where they are you could be driving around for weeks in either direction and probably never see one.

Had another snowy sighting, on top of a lamppost on Highway 2, but... it was on a lamppost right where an on-ramp from Nisku connects to the highway... and this was on Saturday when it was snowing and crazy windy at 4:00pm when the road was busy and the conditions way too lovely to pull over

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Had another snowy sighting, on top of a lamppost on Highway 2, but... it was on a lamppost right where an on-ramp from Nisku connects to the highway... and this was on Saturday when it was snowing and crazy windy at 4:00pm when the road was busy and the conditions way too lovely to pull over
I actually have taken pictures of that snowy. There's a gravel road that runs parallel to the highway on the south side and you can often safely take pictures of him from there. I actually found a snowy that hunts at the off-ramp on Henday to 91st street, which is approximately 1 minute from my house. It's a hellish place to pull over though.

The trick now is finding a snowy that the banding guys haven't gotten to first. They paint the head pink so they don't waste time trying to re-catch an already banded bird, but who wants a pink headed snowy picture?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Everything you say is true. There's a nature group doing a winter bird count in my city, and they're up to 73 separate species now. I never realised the variety around here, even in the dead of winter. Before I joined the group I would probably have been able to track down 15-20 of those.

73 species in the middle of Alberta, which is about one step away from being Antarctica this time year. It gets better (in winter) the farther south you go. I've seen about 100 species in 2013 in Western Washington and I spent about a day and a half birding in southern California last week and saw over 100. It's really incredible what's out there.

Anyway, back to photos.

I made it down to the Salton Sea on Sunday. It's a pretty legendary birding spot and it did not disappoint:

Ladder-Backed Woodpecker by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Salton Sea Green Heron by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Vermillion Flycatcher 2 by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Vermillion Flycatcher by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Greater Roadrunner by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

The beach in Orange county where I was working was also awesome. I've seen a lot of birds begging for handouts, but never imagined a Black Phoebe would be among them.

20130122-20130122-_MG_4053.jpg by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

If gulls started a band, their promo shots would look like this:

Heerman and the Gulls by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

Sanderling by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

California Willet by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

California Marbled Godwit by beastofexmoor, on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Yup- for birds California in the winter probably as good as California in the summer.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Bald Eagle by tylerhuestis, on Flickr

I was standing in knee-deep snow during this next shot, thought it was getting ready to take off to hunt one of the mallards in the river... nope.

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 26, 2013

icechris
Aug 26, 2008

Nothing is hotter than a chick who could kill you with her bare hands

Pablo Bluth posted:

Nought wrong with some nice tits.... I'm as jealous as the next man over InternetJunky's owl escapades, but that doesn't we don't have some nice birds. As a resident of Basingrad, you're in Red Kite country. If I have a criticism of British wildlife, it's not the selection, but that it tends to be so secretive or skittish, so we have to work harder to get the good photos.

I've literally never noticed a Red Kite around Basingstoke before, and then two days after you posted there was one flying circles at less than 100ft over my place of work on a day when I didn't have my camera!

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

icechris posted:

I've literally never noticed a Red Kite around Basingstoke before, and then two days after you posted there was one flying circles at less than 100ft over my place of work on a day when I didn't have my camera!
I expect to see at least one when I'm doing the M3-A303 route, plus I often spend time on some farmland south of Basingstoke, and normally I get good views of them then. If you head across to Andover, there is the Hawk Conservancy who feed them (but none turned up the day I went).

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

I want to comment on some of the awesome shots posted recently but I only have time to post this for now. Heavy crops and poor lighting, but the speed at which these owls plunge makes it hard to track so this is the best I can do.

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

I will never cease to enjoy pictures of owls vigorously faceplanting into snow.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I agree - owls hunting in winter are a treat, even more so if they can be photographed.

Bruny Island is even better than mainland Tasmania for birds.

Dusky Robin

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 1 by Execudork, on Flickr

Some kind of Honey Eater

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 44 by Execudork, on Flickr

A couple of Scrubwrens

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 45 by Execudork, on Flickr

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 46 Doublebirdie by Execudork, on Flickr

Brown Thornbill, I think

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 47 by Execudork, on Flickr

Scarlett Robin

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 48 by Execudork, on Flickr

The confusingly-named Green Rosella

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 49 by Execudork, on Flickr

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Not mine, but I think the regular viewers of this thread will enjoy these sets. From another avid bird photographer in the same city as me; there's a massive grain elevator which attracts a lot of pigeons, which in turn, attracts a lot of birds of prey...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymklee/8429122814/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymklee/6889793457/

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

neckbeard posted:

Not mine, but I think the regular viewers of this thread will enjoy these sets. From another avid bird photographer in the same city as me; there's a massive grain elevator which attracts a lot of pigeons, which in turn, attracts a lot of birds of prey...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymklee/8429122814/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/raymklee/6889793457/
I've gone there twice now and frozen my rear end off in -20/-30 temps for hours and still haven't witnessed a gyrfalcon or prairie falcon attack. Incredible images considering how far away you are from the action (600 + 1.4 still requires severe crops) and how fast those bird fly. These pictures make me want to try again this weekend.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
InternetJunky- just curious if you are seeing anything like the snow imprints described here during your owl shoots. I've occasionally seen these in on grouse leks (not owls, just grouse landing in the snow) but I think usually either the snow is too hard to make a good imprint or it just gets blown away too quickly.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

BetterLekNextTime posted:

InternetJunky- just curious if you are seeing anything like the snow imprints described here during your owl shoots. I've occasionally seen these in on grouse leks (not owls, just grouse landing in the snow) but I think usually either the snow is too hard to make a good imprint or it just gets blown away too quickly.
Yeah, there's plunge holes all over the place where I find my great grays. It's actually a pretty reliable way to locate owls since they tend to hunt in the same area. The cool thing about the greys is that they go for the voles underneath the snow so they have to crack through. A lot of other owls seem to be visual hunters only so they can't hear the stuff under the snow.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

InternetJunky- just curious if you are seeing anything like the snow imprints described here during your owl shoots.
Came here to post this.

InternetJunky, I love love love your owl work. I can't wait to try to find some Northern Hawk Owls, Snowies, Great Greys, and anything else when I get back to Saskatchewan. The point about owls consistently hunting in the same area is really good, hopefully I can find some of those "snow angels of death".

Also, "bone ratchets" :stare:

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Jan 31, 2013

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Sorry for the double post, but it's been 3 days...

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 79 by Execudork, on Flickr
I saw many Green Rosellas on Bruny Island. They are poorly named.

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 81 by Execudork, on Flickr
A somewhat crappy and heavily cropped picture, but the only one I've got of a Strong-billed Honeyeater.

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 82 by Execudork, on Flickr
I know I shouldn't be surprised by a heron in a tree, but they always look a bit out of place on a branch.

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 83 by Execudork, on Flickr
Swift Parrot

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 88 by Execudork, on Flickr
Juvenile Dusky Robin

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 91 by Execudork, on Flickr
Crescent Honeyeater being a bit acrobatic

SD 114 Bruny Part 6 Labillardiere Peninsula 92 by Execudork, on Flickr
Dusky Woodswallow

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

InternetJunky- just curious if you are seeing anything like the snow imprints during your owl shoots.
Update -- here's one being made from today (these 4 frames cover 1/4 second)

Seeing all 4 together I realise how much I suck at proper white balancing.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I hope you never stop posting owl photos.

I got kind of lucky with a tolerant eagle today

SacNWR 1008 on Flickr

edit- here's a few more...

SacNWR 1027 on Flickr

SacNWR 1017 on Flickr

SacNWR 1019 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 06:17 on Feb 4, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
Finally fed up with this poo poo 55-200. Missed out on a lot of great opportunities today. Anyways, here's a Snowy Egret (I think).

DSC_0201 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Burds

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

what's the top one?

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's a sunbittern, but I've never imagined seeing one on a sidewalk before.

edit: bummed I didn't have my dslr with me- but even a g12 can work sometimes for shooting birds.

sd_peli 1017 on Flickr

BetterLekNextTime fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Feb 9, 2013

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This just showed up on my facebook page. :argh:

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

InternetJunky posted:

That is pretty terrible...

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

InternetJunky posted:

God damnit. :mad:

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Why did you blank out his face and his name?
Assholes don't know they're assholes until somebody tells them. Did you let this guy know this poo poo is not cool?

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
To lighten the mood here's a super terrible shot that's still hilarious.

DSC_0510 by jankyangles, on Flickr

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Reasons number one and two why I need a longer lens. :negative:

Where do I go from here? teleconverter? 100-400? :sigh:

Edit: in other news, ducks are cool

Edit 2: Welp. Keh had a great deal on a 2x sigma teleconverter. Time to see how that goes.

Casu Marzu fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Feb 11, 2013

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Casu Marzu posted:

Where do I go from here? teleconverter? 100-400? :sigh:

I'm shooting 200 on a crop sensor and it's only really good for city water foul so yeah.... 400 would be ideal for getting started on wild birds.

Ducks are pretty rad though.

Mallard, female by jankyangles, on Flickr

American Wigeon by jankyangles, on Flickr

Edit: God drat, my panel at home must be really drat dark.

Maker Of Shoes fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Feb 11, 2013

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

Yea, I found this one a few months ago:

Snowy Owl Wide 40mm by www.jamiedouglasphotography.com, on Flickr

quote:

This is the first time I have attempted to approach a wild owl and the decision to do so was only made after a long and careful assessment of the situation.

No glue or bait was used in the making of this image.

"Yes, I carefully assessed that even though I had a 400mm lens on me and the lighting was great, I should try to get a full frame shot at 40mm because...uhhh...well I thought about it."

This guy walked past big loving signs that say to not approach the wildlife to get here.

I imagine you can report the Snowy photographer to the local wildlife authorities. Should be good for a scary phone call at least that might get him to knock off that bullshit.

I think I've mentioned it recently, but as someone who went from a 55-250 F/5.6 to 70-200 F/2.8 to 100-400 F/5.6, nothing ever feels long enough or fast enough. I was out birding yesterday and saw quite a few folks with glass much larger than mine and they were still trying to get within 50ft of a perched Short-Eared Owl. I've come to the conclusion that you just have understand that birds are often too far for just about any glass you can afford and you have to put in the time to get lucky enough for them to give you a good shot.

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

quote:

No glue or bait was used in the making of this image.

Glue? People aren't putting glue onto perches and hoping a bird lands there, are they?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!
This problem can easily be solved by photographing the offending individual and his license plate and sending it in to the park rangers.