Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
This appeared on the WiiU UK facebook page. I don't know if it's a global Nintendo Direct or else.

quote:

http://www.nintendo.co.uk/nintendodirect
On Wednesday 23 January at 14:00 GMT Mr Iwata will take a look at future plans for Wii U in a new Nintendo Direct presentation! Watch Nintendo Direct to find out first about new software and services coming to Wii U!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

limaCAT posted:

This appeared on the WiiU UK facebook page. I don't know if it's a global Nintendo Direct or else.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/direct20130123/index.html

Seems Japan is in on this too.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

Magnatux posted:

LTTP remains to this day my favorite game of all time and "at the time". Art style, difficulty (self imposed or otherwise), and boss fights, world map, everything.

I'm with you man - LTTP has consistently been one of my favorite games of all time and I'd love to see a remake of it. I think I've beat it 5 or 6 different times via SNES, GBA, and emulator and have never gotten tired of it. A remake would probably literally blow my mind.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

limaCAT posted:

Came to post this. Super stoked.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

It's gonnabe Iwata-san apologizing profusely as he announces Pikmin 3 for July or something

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

It's gonnabe Iwata-san apologizing profusely as he announces Pikmin 3 for July or something

Just once I'd like one of these presentations to cap off with "and we're releasing it... now. Surprise!" :gbsmith:

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Just once I'd like one of these presentations to cap off with "and we're releasing it... now. Surprise!" :gbsmith:

Take a look at the launch of the Saturn and let me know how well that works out for people.

I'm almost 100% confident that there will be a real solution other than the "Buy Wii Shop stuff by being in Wii mode" awful solution they have right now, and it will hopefully fix all the general dumbness. Not having real VC support on the WiiU is absolutely insane. Nintendo clearly scrambled to have the software ready in time.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Maybe they'll fix the account system and also announce a full Nintendo Network system for WiiU and 3DS.

That could happen...right?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Maybe they'll fix the account system and also announce a full Nintendo Network system for WiiU and 3DS.

They've already said that Miiverse is coming to 3DS, so it would be smart for them to find a way to have a person's account span the two consoles.

But this is Nintendo.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Well, the account system can basically be fixed by a policy change. Your purchases are tied to both your console and your username in some manner (as far as I can tell) - which is basically the exact same way that Microsoft does it. The problem is that there's no valid way right now to unlink the console for future downloads. You can call Nintendo and they'll do a transfer by hand if you have both consoles, they just need a way to let you do this without the original.

Ugh - I think I just figured out why they do this. There's no way to force console A to stop using software that was originally linked to that console and has now been linked to console B if console A never connects to the internet again. I'm afraid that their whole policy is to prevent that one stupid edge case.

Revol
Aug 1, 2003

EHCIARF EMERC...
EHCIARF EMERC...

zenintrude posted:

But this is Nintendo.

This should be the thread title.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
It turns out that Capcom just can't resist porting anything ever, so Resident Evil: Revelaitons is coming to consoles May 21. 360, PS3, Wii U, PC.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Artix74 posted:

It turns out that Capcom just can't resist porting anything ever, so Resident Evil: Revelaitons is coming to consoles May 21. 360, PS3, Wii U, PC.

quote:

for $50

Oh, Capcom :allears:

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Revelations is what I hope all future REs are like, honestly. It had the great over the shoulder camera from four but it had the tension of the older games. I didn't feel like a power house that nothing could touch like the recent games in it

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

zenintrude posted:

Oh, Capcom :allears:

Capcom gets the last laugh on everyone who took a sigh of relief when they backed away from the $50 pricepoint for the 3DS version.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Artix74 posted:

I just wait for the Steam version then for Revelation.

I'm kinda hoping the Iwata annoucement is about the Virtual Console for the Wii U. I been holding off on buying stuff from the shop channel due to this issue (along with the coin issues mentioned above).

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
Does anyone know how good the Wii U version of The Cave is supposed to be compared to other platforms? I haven't been keeping track of the game very well but have grown interested in it, but was wondering if the Wii U version has any performance issues or some exclusive features/good use of the Game Pad.

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!

Behonkiss posted:

Does anyone know how good the Wii U version of The Cave is supposed to be compared to other platforms? I haven't been keeping track of the game very well but have grown interested in it, but was wondering if the Wii U version has any performance issues or some exclusive features/good use of the Game Pad.

Dunno about performance, but apparently the only game pad stuff is that you can do character switching by tapping portraits of the characters on the touch screen instead of using the d-pad.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Sadly, there isn't even Gamepad-only mode, which ought to be mandatory for any single-screen game.

At least the Pro Controller is super comfy.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Rirse posted:

I just wait for the Steam version then for Revelation.

The PC versions have never been good in terms of controls and are always lacking the additional content and whatever DLC they will devise, and arrive late.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Chronojam posted:

The PC versions have never been good in terms of controls and are always lacking the additional content and whatever DLC they will devise, and arrive late.

The PC version of RE5 was pretty awesome. The only time I felt it had awkward controls was during quicktime sequences, I felt it just randomly picked keys on the keyboard for running+dodging etc. but the mouse aim was very tight and perfect, the game performed well and had solid graphics settings.

Pretty odd when RE4 is down there with Saints Row 2 and such as one of the worst PC ports ever.

extremebuff fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Jan 22, 2013

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Gosh, I hope that the Nintendo Direct actually deals with new games instead of just rehashing or adding some new information to games we've already seen before.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

theflyingorc posted:

Ugh - I think I just figured out why they do this. There's no way to force console A to stop using software that was originally linked to that console and has now been linked to console B if console A never connects to the internet again. I'm afraid that their whole policy is to prevent that one stupid edge case.

I don't know why NIntendo is so adamant about stopping game sharing for legit purchases. I am assuming they must be making a ton more from eShop downloads than retail purchases... So does their lovely account system actually cause them to lose money because of people like me who refuse to download a game that is locked to a console? Because if it was set up like the PSN I would most likely gladly download all my retail releases. Or does the system actually make up for it with people that buy multiple copies of the same game or causing friends to buy their own copies instead of sharing like on PSN?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

I think it's just something they put together last minute for release. The account system being locked the way it is doesn't allow for exploits, and while they work out any kinks and security holes they're not going to open it up just so a team of hackers can find a weakness and tank the eshop.

I expect that when they start allowing eshop/miiverse on smart phones and such there'll be a major rework of the online system. What's there now is just a placeholder for what's going to be.

Alternatively, Nintendo.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

theflyingorc posted:

Could they not just use the same system as the Wii to Wii U transfer or the 3DS system transfer for the time being?

It's a stupid, cute process, but it does cut off all the ownership rights to the console you're transferring from, so it does at least make the transfer process possible.

Astro7x posted:

I don't know why NIntendo is so adamant about stopping game sharing for legit purchases. I am assuming they must be making a ton more from eShop downloads than retail purchases... So does their lovely account system actually cause them to lose money because of people like me who refuse to download a game that is locked to a console? Because if it was set up like the PSN I would most likely gladly download all my retail releases. Or does the system actually make up for it with people that buy multiple copies of the same game or causing friends to buy their own copies instead of sharing like on PSN?

To be fair, I don't really think Sony intended to have the system so you could just share your digital games with friends. I always assumed that was more just a thing where they wanted you to be able to have your downloads across all your home consoles and home handhelds and people just took advantage of that and cheaped out on buying their own copy. And they can't really kill off the latter without hurting the former, so they can't really close that loophole.

If that is what is actually going on, I could easily see why Nintendo isn't up for going with that system.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Crawfish posted:

To be fair, I don't really think Sony intended to have the system so you could just share your digital games with friends. I always assumed that was more just a thing where they wanted you to be able to have your downloads across all your home consoles and home handhelds and people just took advantage of that and cheaped out on buying their own copy. And they can't really kill off the latter without hurting the former, so they can't really close that loophole.

If that is what is actually going on, I could easily see why Nintendo isn't up for going with that system.

But they did close it. When games on demand became a big thing on the PSN, they cut the share limit from 5 to 2 for PS3/PSP/Vita. So it went from incredibly abusable to "eh, I should keep that share in case a system dies".

edit: I should probably specify that the share limit was cut for new purchases made from a certain date, those made under the 5 limit remained valid but it's since pretty much cut off a huge amount of "game sharing" going on. Plus Sony finally going out of their way to implement a web-based share management system meant it became a lot easier to clear them.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jan 22, 2013

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Policenaut posted:

But they did close it. When games on demand became a big thing on the PSN, they cut the share limit from 5 to 2 for PS3/PSP/Vita. So it went from incredibly abusable to "eh, I should keep that share in case a system dies".

edit: I should probably specify that the share limit was cut for new purchases made from a certain date, those made under the 5 limit remained valid but it's since pretty much cut off a huge amount of "game sharing" going on. Plus Sony finally going out of their way to implement a web-based share management system meant it became a lot easier to clear them.

I guess that's the difference. 5 seems like overkill and prone to abuse. 2 seems reasonable. Then again, the Apple App Store is pretty much unlimited sharing all the time and it just works so beautifully between all my iOS devices, I wouldn't tolerate it any other way. It makes me not care about owning digital content because I know it will not be locked down to one device.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Calaveron posted:

Gosh, I hope that the Nintendo Direct actually deals with new games instead of just rehashing or adding some new information to games we've already seen before.

The announcement specifically says he'll be talking about new poo poo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Im replaying Metroid Prime 3 on my 65" and it looks really really good for a Wii game. Any other Wii game I tried on a bigscreen looked real bad and I've always Wiied on 27 CRT.

Anyway, question. Should I play Other M. I have culturally absorbed that its bad an the daddy issues overtones kill Samus, should I play it to keep up on Metroid series anyway?

(Also Xenoblade is "available now" on gamefly, got that shipping in now)

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Bombadilillo posted:

Im replaying Metroid Prime 3 on my 65" and it looks really really good for a Wii game. Any other Wii game I tried on a bigscreen looked real bad and I've always Wiied on 27 CRT.

Anyway, question. Should I play Other M. I have culturally absorbed that its bad an the daddy issues overtones kill Samus, should I play it to keep up on Metroid series anyway?

(Also Xenoblade is "available now" on gamefly, got that shipping in now)

I bought Other M for like $6 dollars at gamestop. I knew going in the game was supposedly bad, but for $6 dollars I'd give it a shot anyways. I wish I had my $6 dollars back. After 20 minutes I was bored out of my mind and the story was weirding me out, plus I found the controls really annoying. 20 minutes probably isn't long enough to give it a fair chance, but I had seen enough.

Edit: I've also got Metroid Prime 3 on deck after I finish Xenoblade!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Bobnumerotres posted:

The PC version of RE5 was pretty awesome. The only time I felt it had awkward controls was during quicktime sequences, I felt it just randomly picked keys on the keyboard for running+dodging etc. but the mouse aim was very tight and perfect, the game performed well and had solid graphics settings.

It also had full 360 pad support that worked as easily as 'plug it in at any time. Any time at all'

Seriously, if you press a key on the keyboard the game instantly switches over to k+m controls, including switching all the button prompts. Same with controller, an instant switch.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

katkillad2 posted:

I bought Other M for like $6 dollars at gamestop. I knew going in the game was supposedly bad, but for $6 dollars I'd give it a shot anyways. I wish I had my $6 dollars back. After 20 minutes I was bored out of my mind and the story was weirding me out, plus I found the controls really annoying. 20 minutes probably isn't long enough to give it a fair chance, but I had seen enough.

Seconding this. Other M isn't worth $50. It's not worth :10bux:. It's not worth :6bux:. It's not worth the 65 cents it cost to make the disc. It's not worth the 10 cents it would cost in storage space on a $100 1TB hard drive. And above ALL ELSE, Other M is not worth even a single minute of your time.

In any case, gently caress Sakamoto.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

Seconding this. Other M isn't worth $50. It's not worth :10bux:. It's not worth :6bux:. It's not worth the 65 cents it cost to make the disc. It's not worth the 10 cents it would cost in storage space on a $100 1TB hard drive. And above ALL ELSE, Other M is not worth even a single minute of your time.

I picked it up for I believe 5bux from Best Buy. It's just been sitting on my shelf staring at me. As the biggest loving Metroid fan ever, I feel like I need to play it, just to suffer like all the fools who spent fifty at launch on it did.

Maybe my expectations are lowered enough that I might actually squeeze some enjoyment out of it!

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

deadwing posted:

I picked it up for I believe 5bux from Best Buy. It's just been sitting on my shelf staring at me. As the biggest loving Metroid fan ever, I feel like I need to play it, just to suffer like all the fools who spent fifty at launch on it did.

Maybe my expectations are lowered enough that I might actually squeeze some enjoyment out of it!

Do it. You have nothing to lose but your time at this point and it's less than six hours of that. And then after it's all done you can appreciate how truly awful it was.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Random Stranger posted:

Do it. You have nothing to lose but your time at this point and it's less than six hours of that. And then after it's all done you can appreciate how truly awful it was.

There is nothing to appriciate. Watch an LP if you must but please, please don't play it.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

DoctorWhat posted:

Thirding this but describing it differently. There just isn't really anything good about the game. The story is pretty much a slap in the face to fans of the series, multiple plot points end up making no sense in relation to the story of the series, let alone the game itself. The character development looks like it was trying for something deep and emotional, but they missed the mark on that something fierce, to the point that only one of the main characters comes out looking even vaguely decent. The rest of the cast comes off as whiny bitches or complete assholes due to their actions in the game.

The music, while better than dead silence, is nothing to write home about. A boss remix or two might be okay, but the rest is even more forgettable than most of the NSMB's series soundtrack. The gameplay is monotonous and boring. Have fun running through poo poo loads or corridors and killing the same handful of enemies to progress. The controls aren't entirely bad. I like what they were going for with the concept of 2D Metroid style controls in a 3D Metroid enviroment, but it still manages to come off as uncomfortable and boring. Not to mention flipping the controller to point at the screen to fire missiles is the stupidest control design choice in the series in my opinion.

The aesthetics and environment are so bland and boring coming off the Prime series. It's not that they didn't try, it's more that what they managed to do with that try was sterile, lifeless and boring. Literally the only thing I like about the game is Sensemove, but even then, most people see it as an easy win mode for the majority of the combat in the game. Though I can't really blame them, as I doubt most bothered to go back and try Hard mode after the sour taste the game left in their mouth the first playthrough.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
I got Other M to help me get Platinum Status last year.

It was worth that for $9~ at least.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
I'll also add to the Other M hate and say the game suuuuuuucks. Nothing about it is intuitive and coming off the amazing game that was Prime 3 didn't help its chances. Avoid unless you enjoy witnessing character assassination.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Wait she wasn't crying all the time or pouting during the Metroid primes? I have some fan fiction to touch up then.
Real mystery is who will carry the Metroid torch now?
Retro is out. Other m team is exiled to those contested china/japanese islands, Platinum is in great standing with the Big "N" atm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Last I heard Kamiya wants to make a Star Fox game sooooooooo

• Locked thread