Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

Shaocaholica posted:

Can someone explain how leaving milk and yogurt out for 3 days at room temp won't taste like rear end?

A similar recipe that we'd make at the restaurant all the time was creme fraiche. Three parts heavy cream to one part buttermilk, stirred up in an impeccably clean cambro (plastic container). We would put some cheesecloth over the mouth and sit it up on a high shelf in the kitchen. On the third day, there was creamy tangy gold that we would use on meats, mussels, soups (mixed with dijon and mussels it's great). Infinitely better than sour cream on Mexican dishes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Turkeybone posted:

Have you ever had broccoli rabe before? I ask because if you do this method (which I wholly recommend) WITHOUT blanching the broccoli rabe first, you may find it extremely bitter and unpleasant. I would suggest that you blanche the broccoli rabe first:

Of course, many times. As a matter of fact, I've been finding broccoli rabe to be lacking in bitterness quite often lately. I only blanch if I am holding it for the next day before sauteing. It keeps a nice green the way I mentioned as long as you don't overcook it. As far as the bitterness goes, that's the appeal, in my opinion, to broccoli rabe. I'd just eat broccolini or broccoli if I didn't want the bitterness. I never noticed a flavor difference between blanching or not either.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

The Bunk posted:

Thanks, yeah I have a thermometer but I wasn't checking at all. I'll try lowering the heat next time and keeping an eye on the internal temp. Would it be worthwhile to get a smaller pot so the meat would be fully covered by sauce, or is 'mostly covered' going to be fine (maybe flipping it a couple of times)?

Honestly, the meat is not going to pick up that much flavor from the "sauce", which is really just some onion, garlic, and tomato paste in some broth/water. You really don't need to flip it at all - once the liquid equalizes in temperature to whatever the oven is set to, both the submerged and uncovered parts will cook at an equal rate. Honestly, with this recipe, it seems like the lamb is cooked in the broth mixture more as a one-pot convenience - you could easily cook the broth/orzo separately on the stove top, and just roast the lamb in the oven until it's done. In fact, I would probably go that route, since if you let the roast dry out overnight in the fridge, you can season it and get a delicious crust on the outside, then carve and add to the prepared orzo dish. You wouldn't get a crust like that on anything cooked in a liquid, as the recipe calls for.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.
I'm planning on servings brats (or some other sausage in a bun) at a party, but want to make sure I can accommodate a couple vegetarians. I want to avoid just buying some weird tofu-sausage. Is there anything that would be an interesting alternative that's not a pain to make, like the equivalent of making a portobello burger?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

Cuddlebottom posted:

I'm planning on servings brats (or some other sausage in a bun) at a party, but want to make sure I can accommodate a couple vegetarians. I want to avoid just buying some weird tofu-sausage. Is there anything that would be an interesting alternative that's not a pain to make, like the equivalent of making a portobello burger?

I wonder if anyone has ground mushrooms with frozen butter and stuffed into casings. Or maybe an emulsified sausage like a Boudin Blanc with shrooms.

Apart from that, maybe a meatless philly cheese typething? Grilled mushroom slices, eggplant, zucchini, onion, pepper, topped with cheese on a bun would be good.

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I have a bag of egg noodles. How can I make them delicious?

I have:
-Teriyaki sauce
-Soy sauce
-Oyster sauce
-Fresh garlic
-Fresh ginger
-Olive oil
-Peanut oil
-Garlic oil
uh... I don't know what else

The Bunk
Sep 15, 2007

Oh, I just don't know
where to begin.
Fun Shoe

The Midniter posted:

Honestly, the meat is not going to pick up that much flavor from the "sauce", which is really just some onion, garlic, and tomato paste in some broth/water. You really don't need to flip it at all - once the liquid equalizes in temperature to whatever the oven is set to, both the submerged and uncovered parts will cook at an equal rate. Honestly, with this recipe, it seems like the lamb is cooked in the broth mixture more as a one-pot convenience - you could easily cook the broth/orzo separately on the stove top, and just roast the lamb in the oven until it's done. In fact, I would probably go that route, since if you let the roast dry out overnight in the fridge, you can season it and get a delicious crust on the outside, then carve and add to the prepared orzo dish. You wouldn't get a crust like that on anything cooked in a liquid, as the recipe calls for.

Thanks for your help! I'll try that next time.

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:

geetee posted:

Of course, many times. As a matter of fact, I've been finding broccoli rabe to be lacking in bitterness quite often lately. I only blanch if I am holding it for the next day before sauteing. It keeps a nice green the way I mentioned as long as you don't overcook it. As far as the bitterness goes, that's the appeal, in my opinion, to broccoli rabe. I'd just eat broccolini or broccoli if I didn't want the bitterness. I never noticed a flavor difference between blanching or not either.

Oh, apologies -- I meant to quote the original question, not your response. I'd rather the first-time rabe eater try blanching first rather than be turned off by the potential bitterness.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

Turkeybone posted:

Oh, apologies -- I meant to quote the original question, not your response. I'd rather the first-time rabe eater try blanching first rather than be turned off by the potential bitterness.

No worries, and that's a really good point about first-time eaters. I've been eating broccoli rabe since I was a child, and it definitely wasn't love at first taste.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

GrAviTy84 posted:

I wonder if anyone has ground mushrooms with frozen butter and stuffed into casings. Or maybe an emulsified sausage like a Boudin Blanc with shrooms.

Apart from that, maybe a meatless philly cheese typething? Grilled mushroom slices, eggplant, zucchini, onion, pepper, topped with cheese on a bun would be good.
Hm. I was thinking of grilling some vegetables for toppings anyways, so that could work. Thanks. :)

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

the posted:

I have:
-Teriyaki sauce
-Soy sauce
-Oyster sauce
-Fresh garlic
-Fresh ginger
-Olive oil
-Peanut oil
-Garlic oil
uh... I don't know what else

Par boil them, drain, rinse, and oil them to keep them from clumping. A sauce made out of minced garlic, ginger, sesame oil, oyster sauce, soy sauce, white pepper, and Shaoxing wine would be good. Stir fry in a wok as hot as you can some thinly sliced meat, shredded cabbage, bean sprouts, and onions. Add the noodles, toss to combine, add the sauce, but not so much that it drops heat of the wok down and the noodles boil. Only add enough at any given time that will completely evaporate in a matter of seconds. Add enough till it tastes good. Top with minced scallions.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

the posted:

Pennsylvania Dutch egg noodles (wide and flat) or asian egg noodles (think ramen)?

kinmik
Jul 17, 2011

Dog, what are you doing? Get away from there.
You don't even have thumbs.
This question has been lurking at the back of my mind for months and I'm asking purely for curiosity's sake.

If one hits a deer or something with a car, and then takes it for consumption, how do you know if it's safe to eat? Like, free of internal parasites or disease? Would the area of impact have to be discarded (because of shattered bones, etc.), or would you consider it "pre-tenderized"? It just seems weird to me simply because it's such a foreign notion.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Turkeybone posted:

A similar recipe that we'd make at the restaurant all the time was creme fraiche. Three parts heavy cream to one part buttermilk, stirred up in an impeccably clean cambro (plastic container). We would put some cheesecloth over the mouth and sit it up on a high shelf in the kitchen. On the third day, there was creamy tangy gold that we would use on meats, mussels, soups (mixed with dijon and mussels it's great). Infinitely better than sour cream on Mexican dishes.

This is basically what russians call smetana. Wish I could justify making it one day, but we hardly use soured cream anymore.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don't usually cook for myself, but I bought some chicken to pan seer/bake this weekend. It was a 4 pack of individually wrapped breasts from Trader Joe's. I figured the four pack would be easier/cleaner to handle since I wouldn't have to handle the unused chicken directly and I could throw it in the freezer. Problem is the little plastic wrappers themselves have chicken juice all over them. Is this normal or am I expecting too much?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

kinmik posted:

This question has been lurking at the back of my mind for months and I'm asking purely for curiosity's sake.

If one hits a deer or something with a car, and then takes it for consumption, how do you know if it's safe to eat? Like, free of internal parasites or disease? Would the area of impact have to be discarded (because of shattered bones, etc.), or would you consider it "pre-tenderized"? It just seems weird to me simply because it's such a foreign notion.

So far as parasites and disease, it's not going to be at any more risk than any other wild game - just because it was hit on the road doesn't mean it's diseased. Presuming you field dress it (toss most of the organs at the kill site, excluding perhaps the heart and liver) and hose the carcass out thoroughly - well, I can't claim you'd always be in the clear, but I've never had any problems. My family was on the receiving end of several road deer when I was growing up and they were just as yummy as the 'killed by bullet' variety. That said, if it was a full broad-side hit, we'd sometimes have to discard part of the carcass - depending on the speed of impact, ribs can shatter quite a bit, and trying to pick those out is no fun.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

geetee posted:

Clean the broccoli rabe well because it can be sandy. Drain and shake off the water, but don't dry completely. Heat a couple tablespoons of olive oil in a pan over medium heat with a few shakes of crushed hot pepper. Smash a bunch of garlic cloves and lightly brown in the pan. Throw in your still damp broccoli rabe and cover for a few minutes so it can steam a bit. Be careful here because the oil can splatter, so don't do a leaf at time; just throw it all in. Toss with tongs so it's coated nicely. Salt and pepper to taste.

I've never tried putting an egg in water, but they generally last for-friggen-ever in the refrigerator. Crack it open in a separate bowl and give it a sniff. You'll know if it's bad.

Re: Broccoli Rabe

I wound up chopping it into bitesize bits, blanching those as suggested, and then I chopped the side pork and added honey, soy, kecap manis, and chili. I fried that in some oil until it became caramelized, tossed the rabe in, and covered to steam for a few minutes. Came out pretty loving great, thanks for the help guys.

EVG
Dec 17, 2005

If I Saw It, Here's How It Happened.

Cuddlebottom posted:

Hm. I was thinking of grilling some vegetables for toppings anyways, so that could work. Thanks. :)

Roasted veggie skewers are great. Also little red potatoes and corn are both are amazing in the grill, make enough for everone!

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Does anyone have any info on the risks of a gas grill? My housing association has a ban on anything but electric grill for outdoor use on our balconies.

I completely get the ban on coal, as carbon monoxide poisoning isn't fun. The rationale on electric vs gas must be to the occasional flare up and open flame, but are the risks really that huge?

rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

BlueGrot posted:

Does anyone have any info on the risks of a gas grill? My housing association has a ban on anything but electric grill for outdoor use on our balconies.

I completely get the ban on coal, as carbon monoxide poisoning isn't fun. The rationale on electric vs gas must be to the occasional flare up and open flame, but are the risks really that huge?

There is the chance of an explosion (if you do something very stupid).

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BlueGrot posted:

The international fire code prohibits their use near dwelling units that contain more than 2 attached units. I've never heard of a ban for single family homes, but if they're attached condos, then the rule simply mirrors the law, assuming you're in the US and your state has adopted the international code. I've seen my share of melted siding, and in the case of charcoal, entire buildings burned down because people didn't properly dispose of the ash. The code also has a limit on the size of propane tank that you can have stored on the decks of such buildings. I assume that's in case there is a fire started by another source that could potentially cause the tank to explode.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

I'm in :norway: and there's no attachment limit, I just wanted to know if I have a case to change the housing associations legislation, as it's democratic.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

I bought a bag of "white chili powder" at my favorite Indian market. What is this, and how do I use it?

It seems to taste a bit like regular chili powder, and it has some heat, but it also has some of those "back of the throat" vapors that you get from fresh ground black pepper. When we opened the package, it gave my girlfriend a sneezing fit.

THE MACHO MAN
Nov 15, 2007

...Carey...

draw me like one of your French Canadian girls
So I have a bit of a random question/idea here

On another forum I frequent, we have a little food thread that's fairly active. We started discussing ridiculous fast foods, frozen foods and crazy poo poo that you see on that show with that insufferable fucker Guy Fieri, and it reminded me of that ICSA we had ages ago where you took an awful fast food and made it awesome and homemade.

Someone posted a picture of this

and I immediately thought of doing something similar except without hot dogs and pizza because that just sounds awful no matter what you do.

I was thinking of hitting up the nearby Polish store and getting some of that thin super smoked keilbasa and doing the crust the same way with that and some mustard. For toppings, making some bigos and spreading it all over? Or either making some stuffed cabbage, slapping some mashed up on there and sticking it in the oven.

I don't know, I guess I am asking to be humored on this idea and help me come up with things that can go on a Polish pizza.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don't have any ideas, but I tried making cheese stuffed crust one time and all the cheese leaked out. Apparently the pizza hut guys are way better at sealing the edges than I am. Or they use cheese that doesn't get so melty. Maybe I should try skim string cheese.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Don't have any ideas, but I tried making cheese stuffed crust one time and all the cheese leaked out. Apparently the pizza hut guys are way better at sealing the edges than I am. Or they use cheese that doesn't get so melty. Maybe I should try skim string cheese.

I worked at Pizza Hut when I was younger, we used string cheese. I don't think I had any special sealing skills.

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Does anyone have a solid technique for removing the skins from chickpeas?

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Squashy Nipples posted:

I bought a bag of "white chili powder" at my favorite Indian market. What is this, and how do I use it?

It seems to taste a bit like regular chili powder, and it has some heat, but it also has some of those "back of the throat" vapors that you get from fresh ground black pepper. When we opened the package, it gave my girlfriend a sneezing fit.

You mainly use them in Indian fried snacks that you don't want to discolour the thing, like sev, ghanthiya, or chakli, or whatnot. Personally, I never bothered, and cheerfully threw the red stuff in. But if you want that proper look, you use the white chili powder.

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

St. John Coltrane posted:

Does anyone have a solid technique for removing the skins from chickpeas?

-Dump them in a big bowl of water.
-Fondle those beans like a manic bean pervert. You'll get most of the skins off in a few minutes.
-Some of the skins will float and can be skimmed off.
-Drain the water from the bowl, then run a solid stream of water over the peas to separate the non-floaty skins by agitation.
-Drain the water again, thoroughly. Run a kitchen towel around the bowl a bit.
-Put a bowl over the other bowl to make a big sphere. Shake what your mamma gave you. The remaining skins will rub off and stick to the bowl.

You'll still have to pick out a few skins at the very end, but it beats doing them one-by-one and with this method you can skin a massive amount in a few minutes.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I bought too many apples. I was planning on making some sort of apple-almond thing to top my morning steel-cut oats, and had some vague idea of using them with some pork tenderloin I got on sale. Other than that, what else can I do? I don't think I'll be able to finish off the lot of them by just eating them on their own.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012
Apple butter. Seriously, do it and don't look back.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
Two questions for the most newbish cooking goon ever.

1) Is there a goon-preferred cooking recipe app for Android? If not generally agreed upon, do you guys have any recommendations?

2) Is there a book goons would recommend that is for someone like me who needs to learn the basics?

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Vagueabond posted:

Apple butter. Seriously, do it and don't look back.

What do you eat apple butter with? I rarely eat bread. I guess I could plop it on my oatmeal.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jyrraeth posted:

What do you eat apple butter with?

A spoon.

a dozen swans
Aug 24, 2012

Jyrraeth posted:

What do you eat apple butter with? I rarely eat bread. I guess I could plop it on my oatmeal.

Oatmeal is good. I don't eat meat but if you eat pork it's apparently great with that too. I tried it with seitan once but I wasn't really a fan.

Also, on pancakes. Good times all around.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

Two questions for the most newbish cooking goon ever.

1) Is there a goon-preferred cooking recipe app for Android? If not generally agreed upon, do you guys have any recommendations?

2) Is there a book goons would recommend that is for someone like me who needs to learn the basics?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3529162 <-- We got you covered. Get in there, explore, see what you see.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

Fried biscuits and apple butter go together really, really well. But fried biscuits might be a pain to make.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
Does anyone have a good/recommended recipe for making your own loaf of bread? We're hoping to get into the habit of making our own instead of buying the stuff at the supermarket. Also- what kind of bread pan is best to use?

:hfive:

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

melon cat posted:

Does anyone have a good/recommended recipe for making your own loaf of bread? We're hoping to get into the habit of making our own instead of buying the stuff at the supermarket. Also- what kind of bread pan is best to use?

There's a dedicated bread thread in here called Rise to Me with plenty of suggestions etc....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Can anyone recommend a good lamb kofte kebab recipe and side dish? Or just some use of lamb mince that doesn't involve a tomato sauce. My access to fresh veg is fairly limited due to snow which is annoying