Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Ron Burgundy posted:

Right so I've got this nice little Pioneer SA-500A at home that I want to put back into service. After about 30 minutes of warming up, the right channel develops white noise. It doesn't completely drown out the music but it's there. Is a recap of the whole thing in order or can someone pinpoint a specific part to go with the symptom. It's not the world's most amazing unit but it does have 2 phono inputs which is handy, and the 10 WPC does pump out quite nicely.

A lot of times when an older unit starts acting flakey after it warms up it's from a cold solder joint, the metals expand and changes how it contacts. A reheating of all the solder joints is the fist thing I'd do this case, anyway. It only costs time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Thanks for the advice guys, will look into those suggestions!

mia2000
Feb 8, 2003

This is our song of exultant joy
I'm in the market for some speakers, and came across a guy who has the following for sale. Any advice you may have on what to lean towards would be greatly appreciated. I've been doing some research, but nothing seems to jump out and say "Buy me!" Everything is priced between 100-150 bucks.

DLK 1 1/2
Pioneer HPM-40
Advent Legacy

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010
I picked up a NAD 3020i integrated amplifier last night from a local guy. It was a great price the guy dropped it when he was going to take a picture of it online. The only damage is the front face peeling off. I bought it for a garage stereo I want to build.

I still need to pick up some bookshelf speakers for it, but I tried it out on my fairly new Paradigm Monitor towers. It sounds really nice, I want to say an 80s sound, but I was born in 89 so that's just a guess. I still prefer my newer amp on these towers, the sound is a lot more clear. I set up my turntable to the NAD and while it sounded nice, it seemed to amplify alot of pops and cracks. My newer amp doesn't experience it. Is it maybe that newer amps/preamps have a filter to try to elimnate some of this?

EIther way, I'm on the lookout for some nice retro bookshelfs to pair with this thing so I can get some tunes in the garage.

edit: still dusty in this pic, hadn't been used in a while and still in the original box.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

mia2000 posted:

I'm in the market for some speakers, and came across a guy who has the following for sale. Any advice you may have on what to lean towards would be greatly appreciated. I've been doing some research, but nothing seems to jump out and say "Buy me!" Everything is priced between 100-150 bucks.

DLK 1 1/2
Pioneer HPM-40
Advent Legacy
That seems a bit high for those Advents, I have a set of the Prodigys(8" instad of 10") and they're good sounding speakers, some detail and leaning toward neutral sounding, I'd guess the Legacy would be similar with more bass extension.
The HPM series always brings a premium price, they can tend to be bright, but work well for classic rock.
The DLK's- :iiam:

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I picked up a NAD 3020i integrated amplifier last night from a local guy. It was a great price the guy dropped it when he was going to take a picture of it online. The only damage is the front face peeling off. I bought it for a garage stereo I want to build.

I still need to pick up some bookshelf speakers for it, but I tried it out on my fairly new Paradigm Monitor towers. It sounds really nice, I want to say an 80s sound, but I was born in 89 so that's just a guess. I still prefer my newer amp on these towers, the sound is a lot more clear. I set up my turntable to the NAD and while it sounded nice, it seemed to amplify alot of pops and cracks. My newer amp doesn't experience it. Is it maybe that newer amps/preamps have a filter to try to elimnate some of this?

EIther way, I'm on the lookout for some nice retro bookshelfs to pair with this thing so I can get some tunes in the garage.

edit: still dusty in this pic, hadn't been used in a while and still in the original box.
Try giving a good pot & switch cleaning.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Right, so I took some advice from a guy called Ockham and decided to de-oxit the poo poo out of my Pioneer before I took to it with an iron.

And it seems to have cured at least part of the problem, the noise has dropped in volume somewhat.

So I made this short video of how it is now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLyJ3kP-oM4

So there's some noise on the Tuner/AUX channels fine, but then the phono channels it really becomes noticeable. I'm pretty confident that this is just the phono stage doing what any good phono stage does and gaining the poo poo out of it's input, which probably includes that noise.

Obviously I'm cranking the hell out of it, and in regular use would never be using the volume knob to the end, but it seems to be drowned out by the source now. Should I just quit while I'm ahead and call this an acceptable amount of background noise?

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
Reflow all of the ground connections on the cct boards and buff/clean any ground wires that connect with screws. This could be one possible cause.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

I'd start looking at all the caps to ground too.
http://akdatabase.com/AKview/albums/userpics/10004/Pioneer%20SA500%20Schematic.pdf

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?
Sounds to me like a transistor(s) could be failing. I had similar noise in my Pioneer SA-7500, and bad transistors in the phono stage ended up being the problem.

Paperweight
Jan 17, 2007
Am I doing this right?
Check the hardware holding the ouput and driver transistors to the heatsink. Tighten the screws or loosen them to check for thermal grease on the mica insulators (both sides) only if you want to take them apart. They use either white or clear silicon grease on vintage receivers I've taken apart. Hit their solder joints up with a reflow after you tighten them down.

Paperweight fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Jan 19, 2013

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Thanks all, I am reading and taking your advice. I just work mental shifts so haven't had a chance to put it into effect yet.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007
Not sure if it's the right place to ask, but does anyone have a recommendation for a place to sell medium-range speakers? I have an older pair of B&W bookshelf speakers and some new Orb Audio speakers I need to sell, but I don't think I'd get the best price from Craigslist and I hate having to pay eBay fees. Thought about listing them in SA Mart, but wasn't sure if it'd reach the right audience.

BizarroBrian
Jan 7, 2004

Dear Mr. President, There are too many states nowadays. Please eliminate three. P.S. I am not a crack-pot.
Quick question, my sister just got one of those portable turntables with the speaker built in. It's her birthday coming up and I wanted to see if I could get some decent speakers for her to use with it? Can anyone recommend a cheap (sub 100) set of bookshelf speakers + basic receiver?

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

BizarroBrian posted:

Quick question, my sister just got one of those portable turntables with the speaker built in. It's her birthday coming up and I wanted to see if I could get some decent speakers for her to use with it? Can anyone recommend a cheap (sub 100) set of bookshelf speakers + basic receiver?

Not sure what kind of outputs the turntable has, but if it has a line-level output I think the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 is a pretty good deal for what you get and you can sometimes find them around $100; if it just has a phono-level output you would need a pre-amp. It's not your traditional receiver, but it works well and they sound pretty great.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

Not sure if it's the right place to ask, but does anyone have a recommendation for a place to sell medium-range speakers? I have an older pair of B&W bookshelf speakers and some new Orb Audio speakers I need to sell, but I don't think I'd get the best price from Craigslist and I hate having to pay eBay fees. Thought about listing them in SA Mart, but wasn't sure if it'd reach the right audience.

Where are you located? canuckaudiomart.com is great if you're in Canada, I think it may have a US section.

edit: Yes it does have a US section.

Meow Meow Meow fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 23, 2013

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

JohnnyWarbucks posted:

What are they, exactly? I might be in a position to take one of those sets off your hands.

JohnnyWarbucks
May 8, 2007

Electric Bugaloo posted:

What are they, exactly? I might be in a position to take one of those sets off your hands.

1) Pair of (this is from memory, not 100% sure) used B&W 602 S2 bookshelf speakers.

2) Four new black Orb Audio orb speakers - can use them separately as four Mod1s or pair them to make two Mod2s (or one Mod4). Won a full set in a contest and didn't need all of them for my setup.

If anyone's really interested I can post a thread in SA-Mart to make it official.

Thanks for the link Meow Meow Meow - took a look and might end up posting them there.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Somebody please confirm my suspicions that this isn't a particularly great deal on this marantz 2220b for $150?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/3554638060.html

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
If I found something like that here (Perth, Western Australia) I would grab it for that. Anything remotely decent goes for stupid money here. Maybe they are a dime a dozen there, I don't know.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MMD3 posted:

Somebody please confirm my suspicions that this isn't a particularly great deal on this marantz 2220b for $150?

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/ele/3554638060.html

If eBay is any indication, that's a good price for a nice receiver, and I'm tempted to contact the seller and see if he will ship it. . . buy it you fool so I don't spend money I don't really have!

Farts Domino
May 8, 2004

Anybody happen to have an AT-PL120 that they'd want to swap for an AT-PL120-USB? My radio station needs the remote start capability that was removed before the USB version and they're pretty hard to find since the USB replaced it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I think they renamed it an AT-LP120 with the USB function.

I hate to be absolutely no help whatsoever, but is there a station engineer that can hack something in to the new version?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Need help. new setup with 2x1 through the subwoofer

okay it goes

setup
dual 1219 ==> amp ==> subwoofer, high level in ==> subwoofer, high level outs ==> some cool speakers

doesn't work
* stereo, red channel out

works
* mono

aricoarena
Aug 7, 2006
citizenh8 bought me this account because he is a total qt.
Is there anything I need to look out for when pairing a new receiver with old speakers? I have some JBL L36's hooked up to Sansui receiver but when I use them for movies everything is way too loud and shaking the house down, or too quite. I also want to run HDMI from my computer to the TV but still use the JBL's for the audio.

Bing the Noize
Dec 21, 2008

by The Finn
Can someone help me with some dumb speaker wiring poo poo? I forget how to wire it up when you want to use more speakers than your amp lets you hook up.

I'm trying to get 2.1 out of the modified Lepai, now I'm seeing if my massive new power supply can give it the power it needs.

It has only 2 pairs of speaker wire connectors, so it can only do 2.0 by itself. But I know you can also wire up your speakers in such a way that you can have more actual speakers attached.

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I have an NAD about that old right here, same things. Clean/deoxidize all the switches and pots should be all you need to do. If everything is clean and the problem persists then I'd suggest making sure the capacitors are all fine.

Bing the Noize fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jan 27, 2013

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

ACID POLICE posted:

Can someone help me with some dumb speaker wiring poo poo? I forget how to wire it up when you want to use more speakers than your amp lets you hook up.

I'm trying to get 2.1 out of the modified Lepai, now I'm seeing if my massive new power supply can give it the power it needs.

It has only 2 pairs of speaker wire connectors, so it can only do 2.0 by itself. But I know you can also wire up your speakers in such a way that you can have more actual speakers attached.

You can wire them in series.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
So someone is selling a Marantz 2285B on my Australian Kijiji but he wants 3 quarters of a grand for it. I know these are fantastic units, and I've seen them go for a lot more on eBay, but that really says nothing more than fools and their money. What are these things seriously worth?

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Whatever the market says they are or whatever someone will spend for it. You just said that they go for more on ebay, so why shouldn't this guy try to get that kind of money for it.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
That's very true, it was an appallingly worded question to begin with, apologies. To rephrase, hopefully better this time.

Do you, personally think that 750 is a reasonable amount to pay for a vintage receiver that is generally regarded as quite good?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I would not

CanOfMDAmp
Nov 15, 2006

Now remember kids, no running, no diving, and no salt on my margaritas.

eggsovereasy posted:

You can wire them in series.

Or in parallel, depending on the amplifier's specifications and the impedance of the speakers, as well as their rated wattage. Look up Ohm's Law for a basic idea of the math you'll be doing.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Ron Burgundy posted:

So someone is selling a Marantz 2285B on my Australian Kijiji but he wants 3 quarters of a grand for it. I know these are fantastic units, and I've seen them go for a lot more on eBay, but that really says nothing more than fools and their money. What are these things seriously worth?

Your biggest problem is (as I'm sure you are well aware) your location. Australia gets my vote for being renamed "Price-Gouge-istan".

Like you said, that receiver has been going for more than the listed price, and here in Canada or the US I would say, "anyone would be a fool to pay that", and to "just wait until the next one shows up at a more reasonable price". Problem being, I don't think you're going to be seeing many more of those in Australia, and even fewer for a reasonable price.

If the condition is good, you have that kind of money to blow on a nice receiver, and you're sure that's the best kind of deal you're going to get on that receiver or something similar, then I'd say go for it. In the end it's your money, and your decision.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Yes this is what is hardest to convey to people. Worse than just being in Australia, I live in Perth where the cost of living is downright frightening (Iron ore mining boom :australia: )

Do you know how much a cheap pint of beer is? $9, that's nine dollars. That's $9.42 USD. Not a premium beer, bog standard draught made in this state. Appalling.

Houses. Anything remotely decent is at least half a million dollars. Lucky this city is beautiful.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

I ordered a Numark PT01USB mostly because of the headphone jack, but after watching some "vinyl for beginners" type youtube videos it seems like replacing the cartridge is something a lot of people recommend with sub-$100 players.

So my question is - how do I know which cartridges are compatible with the player, if any?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
You cannot change the cartridge on this turntable. Sorry dude.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 3, 2013

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ron Burgundy posted:

You cannot change the cartridge on this turntable. Sorry dude.
It's no big deal, I'm considering canceling the order and going for one of the ones in the OP.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

fenix down posted:

It's no big deal, I'm considering canceling the order and going for one of the ones in the OP.

I would do that now!

This turntable has a very crude stylus and heavy tracking weight and the only time I ever use mine is to play 78's (you need the 78 stylus) when I'm away from home. This is not a Hi-Fi machine, it is not kind to records, it is a portable turntable. I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but I have managed to wear records that were precious to me after only a single play on one of these.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Ron Burgundy posted:

I would do that now!

This turntable has a very crude stylus and heavy tracking weight and the only time I ever use mine is to play 78's (you need the 78 stylus) when I'm away from home. This is not a Hi-Fi machine, it is not kind to records, it is a portable turntable. I don't mean to sound like an rear end in a top hat, but I have managed to wear records that were precious to me after only a single play on one of these.
No offense taken, you're saving me from my own inexperience. Checking out reviews for the Sony.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Had a fun weekend, last week I went to check out a Sansui 8080DB, owner claimed it worked great. So I went to buy it for 250 and I get there and turn it on, it goes into protection. Figure it might be something like old caps or some blown outputs transistors. I offer the guy 50 bucks, he takes it.

I get it home and a friend says it's usually the driver board. So I pull the board and power it up, it doesn't go into protection. So we are good place to start. So I meet up with my friend since he has all the nice soldering tools, we find 6 bad resistors and everything else on the driver board looks good. So like maybe a dollar in parts and it's back up and running. Sounds great, pretty happy I don't need to do a complete recap right now, but will in the future.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I have hardwood floors and when people stomp around in my house it vibrates through table and the subwoofer makes a lot of noise. Is there a good way to dampen vibrations to the table? Planning a party for the weekend and I don't want crazy dancing in my house to gently caress things up