Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dug fin
Oct 14, 2004
The boil on the ass of your happiness

Lars posted:

Do any of you know of an up-to-date guide to rotations? I'm rather hard pressed trying to keep everything up, and I'm not even level 40 yet. (I know that a lot of konami codes aren't available to me yet, but having a general idea what I should try to imprint into my monkey brain would be nice)

Elec/Quinn have one, they can probably tell you in kinchat. There's a crazy chart of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

dug fin posted:

Champion - Melee AoE DPS, everyone will tell you you will make a good offtank, but secretly they do it so you die in two hits, because watching you die makes them laugh.

I KNEW IT :argh:

Champing in groups is fun as long as you can focus on performing drum solos on mobs' faces without having to worry about dying. Champ-tanking is somewhat less fun. Champs do have three (3) panic buttons now, though, so that's cool. Good enough for a 3man if your healer is a minstrel who is paying very close attention.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So you know those 5 loading splash screens you have to go through before you can actually start playing?

Well, one of those is advertising LOTRO gift cards, with two types. One is "1000 points for $10", the other is..."1600 points for $20". Lawl.

Also, has anyone else gotten these annoying rear end bugs? I know some of them you have, but maybe some of you know a solution:

• Auto-run just stops
  • Can no longer zoom in/out (I'll get stuck in first-person)
  • Several actions in the UI cause my character to start running - click "post" on the AH, using tradeskill where I press "Make" with a specific amount (works if I leave it at the default 1 though...), and a new one I found last night where I shift drag from my vault and specify a specific amount to take out.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

xZAOx posted:

Well, one of those is advertising LOTRO gift cards, with two types. One is "1000 points for $10", the other is..."1600 points for $20". Lawl.

I'm pretty sure one of those cards is in US Dollars and the other is in Pounds Sterling, which would account for the difference :ssh:

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

xZAOx posted:

So you know those 5 loading splash screens you have to go through before you can actually start playing?

Look closer, one's in pounds. :ssh:

(I thought the same thing for awhile)

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Ah, gotcha. I like how BOTH of you used the same smiley though :).

Although it seems that it would make more sense to have different adverts for each region. Anywhos!

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.
I guess I'm the only one who likes guardians (and does a drat good job tanking) and Forochel. :( Forochel is my favorite zone because it's got my two favorite titles in there (Wrath of Winter and Ice-Render) and because it's explicitly not very lore-y. Don't get me wrong, I'm not against the lore, but sometimes I just want to NOT DEAL WITH HOBBITS and go kill a billion kalpa-kittehs. There's some good farming up there for hides and ancient iron ore.

xZAOx posted:

Also, has anyone else gotten these annoying rear end bugs? I know some of them you have, but maybe some of you know a solution:

• Auto-run just stops

THIS. IS. MADDENING. And it's always when I'm trying to run away from something dangerous, too!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
Two things:

1) Can another hunter post a screenshot of their tool bars like people were doing for other classes a while ago?

2) Is there a way to turn off that thing where if you target something the camera rotates itself around to look at the target? poo poo is mad annoying.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Radio! posted:

Guys did you know that Mirkwood is great? Why does no one ever talk about how great Mirkwood is?

Maybe this is a weird opinion? I dunno, I think a haunted inn and :krad: music and tons of creepy ruins is really cool. Plus ghosts! And graveyards! And weird rear end swamp hallucinations!

I thought Mirkwood was awesome and it's a very under-appreciated expansion. It's another example of Turbine nailing it when it comes to the atmosphere.

daggerdragon posted:

I guess I'm the only one who likes guardians (and does a drat good job tanking) and Forochel.

Nah, Forochel is pretty badass. It and Misty Mountains both have that out of the way, middle of nowhere feeling about them. I can see why some people wouldn't like it, mostly because of SNOW EVERYWHERE!!! but I've always enjoyed snow levels/zones in games. I'm holding out hope that someday they'll put out a Northern Wastes zone that's like an extension of Forochel.

Epi Lepi posted:

2) Is there a way to turn off that thing where if you target something the camera rotates itself around to look at the target? poo poo is mad annoying.

Hit X, I think that's the default key binding for it. It is indeed very annoying and caused nausea the last time I was in that mode and couldn't recall how to turn it off.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Hit X. That's the default key. If that doesn't work check options for which key is bound to "Camera Lock".

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
So I was riding around Bree-lands to grab explorer deeds when I happened upon a locked door and stairway leading south at Ost Baranor. Thing is, there's nothing beyond that stairway on the map, it's at the edge of Bree-lands and everything south of it on the world map is just dead space. I can't even think what would be there based on the book lore. Anyone know what could be down there? Cause it seems like a zone/instance that Turbine have yet to get round to implementing but I don't know what it could possibly be.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

ruffz posted:

Hit X, I think that's the default key binding for it. It is indeed very annoying and caused nausea the last time I was in that mode and couldn't recall how to turn it off.

Lum_ posted:

Hit X. That's the default key. If that doesn't work check options for which key is bound to "Camera Lock".

Thanks dudes, yeah it was totally making me nauseous last night.

Another quick question. On the Ered Luin Map there's a part that says "To Grey Havens" but the Grey Havens aren't actually in the game right? I'd like them to put that in the game, though I don't know what you'd actually do there.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

Radio! posted:

Guys did you know that Mirkwood is great? Why does no one ever talk about how great Mirkwood is?

Maybe this is a weird opinion? I dunno, I think a haunted inn and :krad: music and tons of creepy ruins is really cool. Plus ghosts! And graveyards! And weird rear end swamp hallucinations!

The neat thing about mirkwood is how they tie in the influences of the necromancer from the Hobbit. One of my favorite parts is how you get a glimpse of Gandalf looking for a way in to Dol Guldur and then running away after finding Thrain and the necro's identity. The Mirkwood storyline goes about the rekindling of the dwarf and elf relationship from the dangers of Moria to the standing against the nazgul at Dol Guldur upon the threat to Lothlorien.

Warden chart is found here.

Lum_
Jun 5, 2006

Epi Lepi posted:

Another quick question. On the Ered Luin Map there's a part that says "To Grey Havens" but the Grey Havens aren't actually in the game right? I'd like them to put that in the game, though I don't know what you'd actually do there.

It would be where your Elf character would sail West and you'd never get to play him/her again.

Failing that it would have the entrance to the Valinor high-end raid instance.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Epi Lepi posted:

1) Can another hunter post a screenshot of their tool bars like people were doing for other classes a while ago?

I was going to, then I realized mine aren't very organized (just semi-organized). At level 40, here's how I generally arrange them though:

Main bar: first is barbed arrow, then the build focus one, then penetrating shot, then swift bow. Next is set trap, then followed by the melee skills that I rarely use.

Above bar: stances, speed run buff, potions (each group is spaced)
Above bar: Here's where it starts getting messier. There's a couple of skills I've never used, then a few situational bow (pulling, aoe, <50% shot), then camo, focus skills (the 100% one then the non-combat build one), then skirmish stuff
Above that: a few random things (horse, etc), then various buff/foods (oils, random bonus scrolls, super health pot, etc)

The to the bottom right, I put two bars (they're at the bottom of my screen). Bottom-most row has all the travel ports, return to milestone, etc. One above that has lesser-used non-combat stuff like the various track skills, detect mine/wood (I'm an Explorer), and make campfire.

ruffz
Dec 20, 2007

Epi Lepi posted:

"To Grey Havens" has been on the Ered Luin map as far back as I can remember, and I've been playing since launch.

Rarity posted:

So I was riding around Bree-lands to grab explorer deeds when I happened upon a locked door and stairway leading south at Ost Baranor. Thing is, there's nothing beyond that stairway on the map, it's at the edge of Bree-lands and everything south of it on the world map is just dead space. I can't even think what would be there based on the book lore. Anyone know what could be down there? Cause it seems like a zone/instance that Turbine have yet to get round to implementing but I don't know what it could possibly be.

I'm pretty sure that region is the South Downs. What kind of confuses me is that with Turbine's latest version of the in-game map, they have greyed out icons for eight unreleased regions in Rhovanion but there are none for Eriador. Makes me wonder if they're ever planning on adding those areas to Eriador, even though they did say they eventually want all of middle-earth in the game.

daggerdragon
Jan 22, 2006

My titan engine can kick your titan engine's ass.

CheeseSpawn posted:

The neat thing about mirkwood is how they tie in the influences of the necromancer from the Hobbit. One of my favorite parts is how you get a glimpse of Gandalf looking for a way in to Dol Guldur and then running away after finding Thrain and the necro's identity. The Mirkwood storyline goes about the rekindling of the dwarf and elf relationship from the dangers of Moria to the standing against the nazgul at Dol Guldur upon the threat to Lothlorien.

Warden chart is found here.

Holy crap, that chart is useful. Thanks!

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
I want the area south of the Shire, so I can follow Frodo's footsteps. This is very important.

And the Gray Havens would be awesome, just to have in-game as a place to explore and visit. Not everything needs amazing exciting content like "go kill 10 wargs" to be worth checking out ;-)

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

xZAOx posted:

• Auto-run just stops
  • Can no longer zoom in/out (I'll get stuck in first-person)

Both of these happen to me frequently.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

xZAOx posted:

[*]Can no longer zoom in/out (I'll get stuck in first-person)

I'm about to blow some minds but this bug is caused by trying to use the scroll wheel while opening your mail. To avoid it, don't scroll your wheel while checking mail or using the barber or things like that.

I know this because I have a bad habit of scrolling back and forth just to have something to do.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

And the halting during autorun is a bug reported by numerous people in a thread on the LOTRO forums, with no resolution mentioned in it. Seems to have been happening since RoR dropped, which lines up with my experience. It seems usually to happen to me when I'm fleeing mobs, which could have to do with them giving up the chase like some in that thread posit, or the fact that while I'm fleeing I am using the mouse to look around me (which might be getting misinterpreted as a character movement). No, I don't think I'm hitting both mouse buttons simultaneously.

The random auto-running I haven't experienced as described, but I did have something similar when I got a Logitech G700 gaming mouse; its configuration/macro software caused some buttons to do both their intended keypress as well as initiate autorun. Baffled, I eventually just had to run without that software loaded (the configuration remains anyway).

Guards
Dec 30, 2006

Should you be here?
Should you be doing that?
Now that I've rolled my 15th Hobbit: is there any reason that I have to stay in the Shire, or can I go do the starting quests in, say, Ered Luin or Archet?

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

Lifor posted:

Now that I've rolled my 15th Hobbit: is there any reason that I have to stay in the Shire, or can I go do the starting quests in, say, Ered Luin or Archet?

You can't do the other race's beginning intro quests, there's something blocking you from leaving while you're phased out- in Archet for instance brigands block the road to Combe, dwarves and elves can't move south into greater Ered Luin till theirs is completed.

That's only for the very earliest intro quests though, levels 1-5ish. As soon as you're bestowed with a milestone skill and the "Novice" trait you are free to go to the other starter zones, and there will be quests for you.

edit; now that I remember the intro line for hobbits is basically the same as for men, just dumps you off in the shire afterwards- yes, you can totally head straight back to Archet to continue on like a man at that point, or to Thorin's Gate to do level 6+ quests.

Remy Marathe fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jan 22, 2013

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

daggerdragon posted:

I guess I'm the only one who likes guardians (and does a drat good job tanking) and Forochel.

I love Guardians too. I'm starting to think that they're my favorite class. I have one at 52 on Landroval and another currently at 38 on Laurelin. I trait strictly for tanking, but do most of my questing in OP mode. I think a lot of people generally understate their damage output.

A lot of people are claiming that the new autorun bug occurs when a pursuing mob stops following you. That does seem to be the cause in most instances.

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

daggerdragon posted:

I guess I'm the only one who likes guardians (and does a drat good job tanking)..

My second highest level character is a Guardian. She never dies, ever and can handle packs of 5+ in the beginning of Moria with half-Evendim gear at level 49. She does kill stuff a bit more slowly, though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So tempted to just pay full price for Moria and the Triple pack so I can roll a Warden.

Must. Resist.

EDIT: Or grab one of these two...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330859051375?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/290846283722?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

ruffz posted:

The greyed-out icon for North Mirkwood (as well as Gladden Fields, Fangorn, West Rohan, Dagorlad, Wilderland, Rhun and Mordor) appeared with update 9 if I remember correctly. I'm very far from a LoTR lore buff, so I don't know where North Mirkwood would fit in when it comes to the story. One would assume that all of those greyed out areas are planned to be released at some point. This is making me want to finally sit down and take the time to read through all of the books.

Lore-wise, while the ring's moving to Mordor and the Fellowship's remnants are going through their travels the Dale lands and Erebor are more or less fighting orc armies of the north. The LotR books don't give a whole lot of detail on it, but Gandalf mentions it after the ring was destroyed, and that if Smaug was still alive and the area in ruins then Gondor would've had the risk of facing the orcs from Gundabad and/or Smaug wich could've been enough to leave Gondor and Rohan in smoking ruin even if the ring was destroyed. :spergin:

e: vvvvv Lies. Champs have Fervor and only ever need Fervor. Shame they changed(fixed) Sudden Defense. For a long time its buff would override Fervor's 'no defense' penalty, allowing you to parry/evade while it was up. Coupled with a LI that had the cooldown reduction maxxed and you could keep it going for a lot of your fights.

Evil Fluffy fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Jan 23, 2013

Oxphocker
Aug 17, 2005

PLEASE DO NOT BACKSEAT MODERATE

loquacius posted:

I KNEW IT :argh:

Champing in groups is fun as long as you can focus on performing drum solos on mobs' faces without having to worry about dying. Champ-tanking is somewhat less fun. Champs do have three (3) panic buttons now, though, so that's cool. Good enough for a 3man if your healer is a minstrel who is paying very close attention.

You know...champs have other stances than just 'fervor' :smugbert:

Seriously though, if you're dying from tanking trash mobs, look at using ardor or glory. I've seen champs tank the watcher and survive no problem, it's all in how you play your class (unless the minst truly is sleeping).

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Oxphocker posted:

Seriously though, if you're dying from tanking trash mobs, look at using ardor or glory. I've seen champs tank the watcher and survive no problem, it's all in how you play your class (unless the minst truly is sleeping).

I main tanked Foundry back when it was the cool place to be, wearing full crafted gear on my Champ. They can do pretty much any 6 man if needed, but obviously better gear helps.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Oxphocker posted:

You seem to have misinterpreted my careful choice of the word "fun" :colbert:

Yeah yeah, I know champions technically CAN tank, I've just never enjoyed it in the slightest because in order to do it without dying you have to focus less on wholesale slaughter than I'd like. If I wanted to direct my energy toward anything other than killing things as quickly as possible I'd have rolled a Guardian. :v:

I'm actually kinda glad champs can't use heavy shields anymore, because now I'm never obligated to do that. Left hands are for MORE AXES.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Epi Lepi posted:

Can another hunter post a screenshot of their tool bars like people were doing for other classes a while ago?

Here is Quinnon's toolbar setup. On the main bar all my focus generating skills are on the left, interrupt and stun in the middle, focus dependent skills on the right. Melee on the second bar with buff skills. The rest is consumables and stances. My two vertical bars on the far right of my screen are ports and milestones. I like to have them handy instead of opening the skill panel.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

JFC fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Jan 23, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Why salves and not potions? You're a hunter, you'll never apply those salves to anyone other than you.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
So I'm up to the level 40 fellowship quest on The Blade That Was Broken, if anyone else wants to try it again ;-)

Note, that I thought the quest was mostly fine. I cheezed the poo poo out of the travel though, and would recommend anyone else do the same. I use my hunter port to travel back to Evendim several times, took the boat to get to salamander island the 2 times and over the Eavespires the one time (wtf, no boats for non-VIP? surely that's a bug =/. just make the not swift-travel.), and 2 traveler's writs to get back to The Blue Lady (although I suffered the swim the first time).

If you're doing this without a hunter, then I'd recommend buying a lot of traveler's writs (note that they're pretty drat cheap, not that it makes it an excuse for poor quest design). I was happy with myself for figuring out the riddle at least.

JFC
Oct 16, 2003

Jesus F Christ
Finger Lickin' God

Captain Backslap posted:

Why salves and not potions? You're a hunter, you'll never apply those salves to anyone other than you.

There are lots of times in raids I'll use a salve on someone else. It's only an issue if I'm healing on my RK and have to pop one for myself - then I have to target myself, nothing, or the mob to make sure I'm curing my own disease/wound/poison/fear. As DPS I'm always on the mob so it heals me even if I have them targeted.

Salves come in useful a lot more than you might think.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

JFC posted:

There are lots of times in raids I'll use a salve on someone else. It's only an issue if I'm healing on my RK and have to pop one for myself - then I have to target myself, nothing, or the mob to make sure I'm curing my own disease/wound/poison/fear. As DPS I'm always on the mob so it heals me even if I have them targeted.

Salves come in useful a lot more than you might think.

Who uses salves for poison on yourself? We get a skill for that. (Which conveniently works on others, too)

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I was just making fun of huntards.

Also, anyone still trying to do the instance at the end of the reforging the blade quest need only ask and I will be there (Rehz).

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jan 23, 2013

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
Edit: Failure to knowing how to post.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Since a number of people seem to need Tomb of Elendil (a.k.a blade that was broken instance or "that instance with that loving turtle") I'll throw my hat in and say if you see Zarthelion online, I'll be up for it. We can even try to do it legitimately!

(don't do this just get an 85 the rewards outside of drooling at the lore aren't even worth it)

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye
I have always tended to be a "doing it the intended/hard way" type of player but I really do have to discourage it with these many many non-dungeon/instance fellowship things. Get your high level kinmates to help you through it, otherwise you're just going to gradually outlevel that crap and have to drop it eventually anyway (I'm looking at you, extremely difficult Moria 3 mans).

Not to spoil the boss or anything, but the boss at the end is a giant turtle with a buff that reduces all damage by 90% and has a gigantic health pool. Also will spawn waves of smaller turtles that will inevitably aggro on the healer (as all adds in every fight do).

Lots of unconfirmed ways to do it the right way, though.
  1. Dragging the boss into the water removes the extreme defense buff (even though I thought the boss couldn't move).
  2. Only fellowship maneuvers can break the buff.
    1. Only all red can break the buff.
    2. Only all yellow can break the buff.
  3. If you get close enough you bypass the shell defense as if you are attacking the weak underbelly of the boss(which sounds cool but also not likely based on my understanding of known game mechanics).

Captain Candiru fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I'm still up for it, and have my bindstone set to Esteldin so I can be there within 5 mins.

I don't really care about doing it on level, but I'd prefer not to be totally insignificant and have nothing to do like the 85-supported barrows runs I did.

What's the max party size for the instance?

• Locked thread