Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eggie
Aug 15, 2010

Something ironic, I'm certain

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

I totally don't remember this, when do they say that? I remember most of the rest of the plot but not that detail. Weird.
It's written on one of the three statues in the Magic Cave. Players can check them out after fighting Ultros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Francois Kofko posted:

Man if there's one game I'd like to see them redo/rerelease for SOME modern console it'd be that. More than any of the main series stuff. FF9 in 13-quality HD would be orgasmic

I want the first half of FF9 but for them to ignore everything between discs 2-4 and write a brand new second half. That game, more than any other in the series, disappointed me because of how much wasted potential there was in the story. You have this awesome world with really cool, unique cities, a global conspiracy, and the breakout of an epic war. Then... you wander around some barren wildernesses and have to stop a planet from eating another planet. Also, Necron.

The battle system, weapon fusion, and card game were so good. I could do without the Chocobo nonsense though.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Haraksha posted:

I want the first half of FF9 but for them to ignore everything between discs 2-4 and write a brand new second half. That game, more than any other in the series, disappointed me because of how much wasted potential there was in the story. You have this awesome world with really cool, unique cities, a global conspiracy, and the breakout of an epic war. Then... you wander around some barren wildernesses and have to stop a planet from eating another planet. Also, Necron.

The battle system, weapon fusion, and card game were so good. I could do without the Chocobo nonsense though.

Were you dropped on your head as a child or something?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I've started playing through FF8 again as if it's a giant card game with Encounter-None and just challenging card dudes instead of fighting random battles. It's like Yugioh or something. Sometimes I fight monsters to card them.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Schwartzcough posted:

Were you dropped on your head as a child or something?

I used to jump into clouds of lysol, but I don't see what that has to do with anything. I don't think chocobos are ever going to be as fun as they were in FF7 and the constant hunting drove me crazy. Also, the card game makes perfect sense if you know what the letters and numbers mean.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Haraksha posted:

I don't think chocobos are ever going to be as fun as they were in FF7
Chocobos in FF7 were kinda cool, but I get the impression you haven't really done Chocobos in FF7 since you were ten. I felt a lot like this too right up until about six months ago when I replayed it.

quote:

Also, the card game makes perfect sense if you know what the letters and numbers mean.
I will say many good things about FF9, but after having made a complete card collection twice, I can tell you with absolute certainty that even if you know what all the numbers and letters mean, and even if you do everything right and according to the known rules, the huge RNG range for starting HP and attack rate means that your AXAA card? Still loses all the time to 0P00s.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

The White Dragon posted:

Chocobos in FF7 were kinda cool, but I get the impression you haven't really done Chocobos in FF7 since you were ten. I felt a lot like this too right up until about six months ago when I replayed it.

16 year old me thought that grinding for all the poo poo needed to beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon was a waste of time and after clearing them I pretty much never played FF7 again.

I really wish SE could go back to the days of 16-bit Final Fantasy without doing blatant nostalgia mining like they do on their mobile games. Final Fantasy 4-6 are legit fun to play because the mechanics are sound and there's a ton of plot to get through.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Haraksha posted:

Also, the card game makes perfect sense if you know what the letters and numbers mean.

I liked Final Fantasy 8's card game where the rules were simple and anybody could understand them as opposed to 2 DEEP 4 U letter and number poo poo you have to try and solve like a puzzle.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Twelve by Pies posted:

I liked Final Fantasy 8's card game where the rules were simple and anybody could understand them as opposed to 2 DEEP 4 U letter and number poo poo you have to try and solve like a puzzle.

It was just attack, magic attack, defense magic defense which isn't that complicated, the real problem is like The White Dragon said: the "battles" are randomized anyway so you could lose a fight you clearly shouldn't.

Also in 8 since you don't need levels you can actually get some of the best spells and skills through playing the card game then refining those cards :v:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

1st AD posted:

16 year old me thought that grinding for all the poo poo needed to beat Emerald and Ruby Weapon was a waste of time and after clearing them I pretty much never played FF7 again.

I really wish SE could go back to the days of 16-bit Final Fantasy without doing blatant nostalgia mining like they do on their mobile games. Final Fantasy 4-6 are legit fun to play because the mechanics are sound and there's a ton of plot to get through.

The other thing about these games is that the optional stuff is pretty much all just weird occurrence rather than grinding for 15 hours to get whatever to kill the lovely optional boss. Death moves in FF6? Huh? Who the gently caress even knew these existed? Gogo? Brachiosaurs? Imp and Bomb summons? Awesome!

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Platypus Farm posted:

The other thing about these games is that the optional stuff is pretty much all just weird occurrence rather than grinding for 15 hours to get whatever to kill the lovely optional boss. Death moves in FF6? Huh? Who the gently caress even knew these existed? Gogo? Brachiosaurs? Imp and Bomb summons? Awesome!
Imagine my surprise when I found out that the PinkTail I found the very first time I played FF2 actually did something (I didn't even know the Tail Collector existed, so I had this useless PinkTail and this nasty Rat Tail in my inventory forever)! And how I didn't know that Kain's Dragon Lance was a stupid rare drop, or that those worthless Fire, Ice, and Bolt Balls the dragons in the final dungeon dropped that were loving useless by that point were also 1/256 items!

I was a really lucky kid. I also didn't understand grinding, so Zeromus wrecked my poo poo for literally months. I was so bad at grinding, in fact, that I fought Ogopogo like seventy times at least because I always went in thinking, "this time I'll beat Zeromus, I've just been unlucky" without leaving the Moon Core to save after beating him. I mean, it's not like I didn't understand grinding because I'd clearly done it to get Lumina to 8 in Secret of Mana for Dark Lich half a year earlier, I just had that This Time mentality.

And it worked! After I stopped trying to keep everyone alive and just had Rosa cast Cure 4 on Cecil because they were the only two survivors, maybe Kain if I timed his jumps between Big Bangs well enough. I will grow old and gray and bitter and codgerly, but I will never forget my most glorious battle against my first badass final boss (partly because I love :420: way too much to develop Alzheimer's. But mostly because it was super climactic).

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Jan 22, 2013

Nickname Pending
Jan 2, 2008

I learned how to play beer pong from the Prince of Uganda at a university party.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

It was just attack, magic attack, defense magic defense which isn't that complicated, the real problem is like The White Dragon said: the "battles" are randomized anyway so you could lose a fight you clearly shouldn't.

Also in 8 since you don't need levels you can actually get some of the best spells and skills through playing the card game then refining those cards :v:

The card game was actually quite fun; though tedious when actually using it to get items and what not. It is pretty funny when you can get Squall's ultimate weapon (and ultimate limit break) barely 1/4 of the way through the game. Keep Squall at low health and Lionheart your way through every boss battle.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!
I know it's been asked a million times, but this thread is big: what versions would people recommend for FFs II, III, and IV?

I think IV DS is some sort of ramped-up difficulty version?, so that doesn't sound appealing. And was it III DS that had artificially inflated HP totals for monsters so everything turned into a slog?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
I didn't like IV DS just because it seemed to take forever to do anything, but I guess take my opinions on mechanics with a grain of salt.

Grinnblade
Sep 24, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Delurking to say that's not quite correct, it's Attack-Type-Def-MDef. Type just determines what defense number the attack number goes after, which is just another layer of complexity on an already bullshit minigame.

The only reason I know this is because I finally got fed up and looked it up the last time I played through IX and naively wanted to try to get every card, which meant I had to do better than just cheesing the one time it's mandatory.

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Schwartzcough posted:

I know it's been asked a million times, but this thread is big: what versions would people recommend for FFs II, III, and IV?

I think IV DS is some sort of ramped-up difficulty version?, so that doesn't sound appealing. And was it III DS that had artificially inflated HP totals for monsters so everything turned into a slog?

I wouldn't :smug:
I mean if I HAD to play one of those it'd probably be FF2 GBA.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

NikkolasKing posted:

She was Larsa's friend which makes her a-okay in my book. The rest of the party were just kind of acquaintances.

You know, if they were under obligations to include a romance, and Vaan was nonexistant, they could have done so with Penelo and Larsa and it would have made a way more believable connection between the street kid from Rabanastre and political bigwigs from Archades. It needn't even be a romance, really, but audiences love that poo poo, and if they were so concerned about pulling in demographics... :v:

I liked both of those characters. Larsa was great for putting a human face on the old "evil imperials" cliche, and Penelo was a badly-needed inversion of the token young-girl character from other FFs, being grounded, realistic, and not on a constant sugar high.

On another note, the stories of Vaan's sudden inclusion at the last minute seem to be greatly exaggerated. Any writer will tell you that stuff like that can happen (though to be sure, it's usually because they're inspired to change it, rather than adjusting based on demographic), but perspective on the matter is skewed because of how well everyone knows about the development problems that game went through. Pushing that out of one's mind, the only real problem while actually playing the game is that Vaan & Penelo don't do more.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Schwartzcough posted:

II: GBA or PSP. Either way, it's a turd that Square Enix keeps trying to polish. Music's great, though.

III: NES. I'm serious, the DS remake made a NES RPG even more bullshit and unfair. You have access to your jobs as soon as you leave the first dungeon in the NES version, while the DS version gives bosses twice as many turns.

IV: For a first time player, go for the PSP version. The GBA version is good too, but the battle system is hosed unless you pick up the European version. For a veteran, the DS version (Made by the same people as FFIII DS) ramps up the difficulty and adds voice acted cutscenes.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mazed posted:

You know, if they were under obligations to include a romance, and Vaan was nonexistant, they could have done so with Penelo and Larsa and it would have made a way more believable connection between the street kid from Rabanastre and political bigwigs from Archades. It needn't even be a romance, really, but audiences love that poo poo, and if they were so concerned about pulling in demographics... :v:

I won't deny I do sometimes read too much into thins but I always interpreted it as Larsa maybe having a crush on her. It could easily just be his gentlemen thing but he's always extra-refined and sweet with Penelo. This little exchange with him giving Penelo a present while she says an awkward thanks and then the two look at each other while Vaan hoovers awkwardly in the background always set off my love interest detector.

Shame it never really came to anything. Hell, that sums up Penelo's character in the whole game.

quote:

I liked both of those characters. Larsa was great for putting a human face on the old "evil imperials" cliche, and Penelo was a badly-needed inversion of the token young-girl character from other FFs, being grounded, realistic, and not on a constant sugar high.

I agree.

Schwartzcough posted:

The PS1 Origins version is, as far as I know, quite a bit like the original NES version only the music and graphics are better and you get an opening FMV.

The GBA version removed a few of the tactics people used to exploit the game mechanics and added a whole new side game thing. It also has a little extra dialogue I believe. (if the scripts I read are legit)

Really, I don't think it matters which one you play. Everyone always told me FFII was by far the worst game in the series and since it was a NES title, it wasn't just the typical bitching that comes with new installments or popularity. But then I played FF2 and I almost beat it and I had a lot of fun doing it.

Dunno if I'd say it was a "good game" but you should definitely try it out.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

See, what Final Fantasy II has going for it is two big things: it's own mechanical weirdness and potential for hilarious breakage, and the fact that it established a lot of the "character" of the series, being something other than not-D&D and introducing what would become recurring elements -- chocobos, Cids, clear "homages" to Star Wars, etc. So, it's worth playing at least once just for that.

FFIII, on the other hand, really gets the shaft, because it lacks anything noteworthy in terms of story and characters, and what it did with the job system was done far better in V and X-2. The only remake it's gotten only served to make it more tedious and frustrating. And it's weird, because interviews with veteran devs of the series indicate that they have a special fondness for it, so you'd think they'd want to give that one a fresh coat of paint and put it out on a newer handheld. But no, let's just rerelease FFIV every couple of years.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
However, III gave us Onion Knight in Dissidia and he kicks so much rear end.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
Has anyone played through the revamp of II on iPhone/Android? Even the GBA version, emulated with fast forwarding, is incredibly boring. Like, I had every intention of beating it recently and got all the terrible grinding done early in the game and just plowed through everything and it was still so unfun. I'd like to beat it just to say I've beaten it but man it's not worth it.

Also, I refuse to believe that the summon drops in any version of FFIV exist. I've played through that game a dozen times and have never seen one whether I was intentionally farming for it or not :colbert:

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

Has anyone played through the revamp of II on iPhone/Android? Even the GBA version, emulated with fast forwarding, is incredibly boring. Like, I had every intention of beating it recently and got all the terrible grinding done early in the game and just plowed through everything and it was still so unfun. I'd like to beat it just to say I've beaten it but man it's not worth it.

Also, I refuse to believe that the summon drops in any version of FFIV exist. I've played through that game a dozen times and have never seen one whether I was intentionally farming for it or not :colbert:

I actually LIKE FF2. I have no idea why, but I've played through it in it's original format (translated by NEO DemiForce!!! yes!! I played through their ff3 trans. as well), the version in Origins, and the PSP remake. It might be unpopular, but I really, really, really like the updates made to FF1, 2 and 4 with those gussied up PSP versions. They're just more playable and enjoyable for me.

RE: Bomb and imp stuff - how's this for hosed up. When I was a kid and playing through FF2, I got the bomb summon in a forest right outside Fabul and thought "hey, neat!" The next time I played through, I got it in the same place. To my ten year old brain, that meant it was just supposed to be there. Then, I got called a liar on the playground for saying there was a bomb summon! Holy poo poo was I confused.

Reading this thread though has me wanting to play ff6 again since it's been a couple years. I'm not gonna break out the SNES though so I pretty much have to wait until it gets a new port because the lag on the psx version drives me nuts. I never found it that bad in ff5, but apparently others did? The only ones I noticed it in were Chrono Trigger and 6 and it made both of those unplayable :(

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The GIG posted:

However, III gave us Onion Knight in Dissidia and he kicks so much rear end.

This is true

Personally I liked the PSX version of FF2, so whatever current version clones that one. The music is just amazing in places, and I had a good time playing through it. If the PSP version is as awesome as the FF4 remake, and has the good music, get that one.

FF3 can basically die in a fire though, I beat the DS version and I can't remember anything about it except 'that was kind of boring and annoying'. Also DS 3d graphics are a horrible eyesore. They dampen my enthusiasm for 4 Hats Of Light, which is an otherwise :3: game

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Mazed posted:

See, what Final Fantasy II has going for it is two big things: it's own mechanical weirdness and potential for hilarious breakage
Didn't they fix a lot of the weird/more fun stuff in every release after the NES one? I know ddegenha showed off that resistance overflow trick to Toad the final boss, but that's one of those things you know they've changed.

Platypus Farm posted:

Reading this thread though has me wanting to play ff6 again since it's been a couple years. I'm not gonna break out the SNES though so I pretty much have to wait until it gets a new port because the lag on the psx version drives me nuts. I never found it that bad in ff5, but apparently others did? The only ones I noticed it in were Chrono Trigger and 6 and it made both of those unplayable :(
GBA version? That one's a pain in the rear end to come by, though.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

The White Dragon posted:

I also didn't understand grinding, so Zeromus wrecked my poo poo for literally months. I was so bad at grinding, in fact, that I fought Ogopogo like seventy times at least because I always went in thinking, "this time I'll beat Zeromus, I've just been unlucky" without leaving the Moon Core to save after beating him. I mean, it's not like I didn't understand grinding because I'd clearly done it to get Lumina to 8 in Secret of Mana for Dark Lich half a year earlier, I just had that This Time mentality.

You can't be bad at grinding! You either do it or you don't. Expecting to kill the final boss without having to grind isn't being bad at anything, it's just expecting the game to be reasonable. :v:

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

I intentionally farmed for one of them exactly once, just to see what they were like. After at least four hours, I finally got one.

e; That said, when I played the DS version I also got one. From my very first fight.

...Almost as if it was a cruel joke, they were both Goblin. :negative:

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Suaimhneas posted:

You can't be bad at grinding! You either do it or you don't. Expecting to kill the final boss without having to grind isn't being bad at anything, it's just expecting the game to be reasonable. :v:

I really don't know that I ever learned this throughout my childhood. Like him, I think I just assumed that I was bad at games because I couldn't beat TMNT or Battletoads :v:

(still a possibility)

I'm sure there's a life lesson buried in there somewhere.

I do remember beating FF1 being completely awesome, and that was with that super cool Nintendo Power guide telling me how to do everything :v:

I somehow missed FF2/4 when it came out though, I didn't play it for the first time until like the year 2000. And I thought it was awesome! (still is really, I've been playing the PSP version on and off, which is great).

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

The White Dragon posted:

Didn't they fix a lot of the weird/more fun stuff in every release after the NES one? I know ddegenha showed off that resistance overflow trick to Toad the final boss, but that's one of those things you know they've changed.

GBA version? That one's a pain in the rear end to come by, though.

Problem with the GBA release is getting something to play it on. Honestly I'll probably lose my resolve and fish the SNES out of the attic before too long.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I started a playing of FFXII last night for the first time since it came out. I'm playing the international zodiac job system version which is pretty cool so far.

Does it matter really which classes I make everyone? I'm not really worried about optimizing I just don't want to miss out on anything important.

Also is there a way to tell which enemies are going to one hit me when I go out on hunts? I've died twice already and it's kind of getting on my nerves because I don't even get a chance to run away before I die.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho

gurragadon posted:

Also is there a way to tell which enemies are going to one hit me when I go out on hunts? I've died twice already and it's kind of getting on my nerves because I don't even get a chance to run away before I die.

I don't know how hunts work in the Zodiac version, but a general rule of thumb is that the basic star-level of each hunt can be used as a very rough level metric. So, you should always multiply the stars by ten and that's the level you wanna be at before you can really tangle with that hunt. So, when you're level 20, start doing two-star hunts. Some are a lot easier than others, of course, but you can usually tell what the easy ones will be based on how horrifying the monster in question sounds.

By the time you hit the end game, the star ratings don't really matter, and by then you'll have loads of great equipment to use.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You can't really gently caress up classes, but keep in mind that you cannot change them later, and there's 6 party members/12 jobs or whatever, so look them over a bit and figure out who you want to take what ahead of time

It's pretty much the exact opposite of vanilla ff12, where you can make everyone everything :v:

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Platypus Farm posted:

The near-death moves were mentioned by one of the scholar guys in Narshe if I remember correctly.

Gogo I found purely by accident since I was curious what happened if I let my entire team get eaten by this enemy on this remote island.

Grand Train was bullshit though. Who the gently caress actually uses Strago and Relm, let alone would talk to NPCs enough to trigger the dungeon showing up?

Dragonatrix posted:

I intentionally farmed for one of them exactly once, just to see what they were like. After at least four hours, I finally got one.

e; That said, when I played the DS version I also got one. From my very first fight.

...Almost as if it was a cruel joke, they were both Goblin. :negative:

The first time I played through FF2 on the SNES I had two Imp summons drop before getting to the village of Mist. The first one dropped before I even entered the cave. I had no idea what the hell the item was because I didn't even have a magic user yet. I only figured out it was a summon by trying to use it on Rydia.

Never had it or any other summon drop ever again in any of my subsequent playthroughs. I also went from about level 47 to level 60 in the Lunar Core over the course of a week or two. I added probably 15-20 hours to my playtime as a result. I only got to 60 because when Rydia learned Nuke at 50 I figured she would probably get Meteo as well so I just kept going until she got it. Shame its cast time (and counter from Zeromus) makes it borderline-useless and you're just better off using Bahamut instead.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

RentCavalier posted:

I don't know how hunts work in the Zodiac version, but a general rule of thumb is that the basic star-level of each hunt can be used as a very rough level metric. So, you should always multiply the stars by ten and that's the level you wanna be at before you can really tangle with that hunt. So, when you're level 20, start doing two-star hunts. Some are a lot easier than others, of course, but you can usually tell what the easy ones will be based on how horrifying the monster in question sounds.

By the time you hit the end game, the star ratings don't really matter, and by then you'll have loads of great equipment to use.

That makes sense for the hunts. How can I tell for the non-hunt enemies though. Like I was trying to kill the first tomato monster hunt and some dinosaur thing killed me out of nowhere. Should I just avoid stuff that looks like its just gonna one hit me or is there anyway I can tell some random mob is gonna one hit me?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The name; it should've been in red which basically means "if you try to fight this thing, you will almost definitely lose*." Fortunately that dinosaur won't attack you unless you piss it off by attacking it first.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Nickname Pending posted:

The card game was actually quite fun; though tedious when actually using it to get items and what not. It is pretty funny when you can get Squall's ultimate weapon (and ultimate limit break) barely 1/4 of the way through the game. Keep Squall at low health and Lionheart your way through every boss battle.

In fairness though, you need to do a ton of tedious work to get Lionheart in Disc 1. I prefer to do it right at the start of Disc 2 once you have full control of the Garden and can go get Tonberry.

Fake Edit: As I was typing this, I went to fact-check myself and found out there's an even easier way to do it on disc 1 than I thought and it really only requires a level 30+ Squall Selphie and Quistis.

quote:

Squall Selphie Quistis ALL level 30+ so when you trigger the first Lunatic Pandora scenario via the forest south of Galbadia Garden simply Mug 3x Laser Cannons off of level 30+ Elastiods (4 cannons) if you want Quistis to learn a limit break that I never used.

If you already have Dragon Fangs and I got mine via the same 3 PC's at level 30 off of T rexes if you don't have any just take the level 10 Irvine and Rinoa and fight Grendels via the same Forest as above but the Laser Cannon are stolen first.

All that's left are Adamantines and level 30+ Adamantioses will give those out but since physical hits barely deal any damage to them just abuse the crap out of Degenerator.

So I'll definitely be trying that one out next time I play through.

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

Dragonatrix posted:

The name; it should've been in red which basically means "if you try to fight this thing, you will almost definitely lose*." Fortunately that dinosaur won't attack you unless you piss it off by attacking it first.

Yeah I might have attacked it. I was feeling good killing all those wolves and figured nothing could stop me. The name thing makes sense pretty much like a mmo.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

The dino is there to teach you exactly what you learned - don't attack everything. A fair number of areas in the game have nasty poo poo that will faceplant you if you attack it too early in the game (hello elementals!).

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

SpazmasterX posted:

In fairness though, you need to do a ton of tedious work to get Lionheart in Disc 1. I prefer to do it right at the start of Disc 2 once you have full control of the Garden and can go get Tonberry.

Fake Edit: As I was typing this, I went to fact-check myself and found out there's an even easier way to do it on disc 1 than I thought and it really only requires a level 30+ Squall Selphie and Quistis.

So I'll definitely be trying that one out next time I play through.

That quote sounds alarmingly VeghEsther-ish.

Anyway, if you want to be easily overpowered in FF8 then just mod the Quistis and Zell cards. Quistis gets you 3 Samantha Souls for 180 Triples (100 Triples = +70 Str, so you can have one character with +70 and one with +56, or two with +63), and Zell gets you 3 Hyper Wrists which teach Str +60%. Combine the two. Cackle.

Negligible card grinding required (a whopping two cards). No level grinding required. Minimal ability grinding required. Plot-wise it can be done before heading to Timber on disc 1. And it gets you high enough Str that you're killing bosses in a single physical multi-hit limit, if not just one simple old physical attack, for most of the game. Which is more of an effectiveness boost than the much-vaunted disc 1 Lion Heart (considering its benefit only kicks in a quarter of the time at best).

If you're going to break FF8, at least be efficient about it. No point in spending more time breaking the game than you'd save by breaking the game.

FF12 talk: once you get Libra (I think there's also an accessory that replicates its effect), you can see enemy levels when targeting them, and can exercise common sense from there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I now remember how bullshit Marilith is, I'm trying to take it out before I go into the Tomb of Raithwall and the thing is ridiculously powerful. Funny thing is, the guy whose guide I'm following fought it before the Tomb and he said it was easy. I'm not seeing it. Even Blinding it, having Round Shields, and Gauntlets equipped on all my characters is useless when it gets below that 20% HP mark and can attack with no charge time. Worst part is I can't even use the shiny Icebrand I got from Ring Wyrm since it's immune to elemental weapons.