Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional
I think I'm the one person who misses Hammer and Bolter. It was nice having a chunk of fiction for four bucks a month. This new model where you spend a bit more but can get more a la carte short fiction isn't nearly as appealing to me. And not just because it costs more!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003
H&B was alright - the story quality wasn't that good usually, but for $4 for half a dozen stories, you could let that pass. This new pricing scheme screams of a money grab.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'm more amazed they haven't apparently even considered just readding all of their back-archive as digital content. I mean they've published a whole bunch of stuff through the years so why not make that available digitally now?

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
They seem to becoming more invested in their ebook content. I wish they weren't such dinosaurs about the whole thing too though. If I could buy black library ebooks from my kindle in the amazon store I don't even know what would happen.

I barely have self control as is it with the minor barrier of having to transfer them to the kindle.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

orphean posted:

They seem to becoming more invested in their ebook content. I wish they weren't such dinosaurs about the whole thing too though. If I could buy black library ebooks from my kindle in the amazon store I don't even know what would happen.

I barely have self control as is it with the minor barrier of having to transfer them to the kindle.

You'd think they'd have a hard-on for the DRM, and it's not like Amazon gets much of a cut considering the way the licensing works (agency model, etc).

ed balls balls man
Apr 17, 2006
I'm tempted to write a big nerdy email to BL complaining about how fragmented and shite all there content for the last year has been. Never done anything like this before but i'm hella nerd mad.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
I could justify the higher price if more of it were going to the authors. But I see no evidence that is the case

Mr.48
May 1, 2007

Cooked Auto posted:

I'm more amazed they haven't apparently even considered just readding all of their back-archive as digital content. I mean they've published a whole bunch of stuff through the years so why not make that available digitally now?

Because unless they're selling plastic figures GW hates money. This is well known. Hell, they turned down licensing their IP for the game that would later become loving Warcraft.

Mr.48 fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Jan 23, 2013

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Mr.48 posted:

Because unless they're selling plastic figure GW hates money. This is well known. Hell, they turned down licensing their IP for the game that would later become loving Warcraft.

I'm convinced that GW is run by goats that just so happen to be very good at making little plastic figures. Literal goats. That baaa and everything.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

VanSandman posted:

I'm convinced that GW is run by goats that just so happen to be very good at making little plastic figures. Literal goats. That baaa and everything.

The real invaders aren't lizardmen from space. But goatmen from earth. :tinfoil:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

You can open the ebook files in kindle.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

VanSandman posted:

Once upon a time, in my misguided youth, I got to meet a bunch of the top-level retail management guys in the UK when they visited the local.

They stood around a store making period jokes about the Adeptus Soritas.

Yeah.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Finished the first book in Ravenor omnibus and immediately read Thorn Wishes Talon after.

Holy poo poo. Eisenhorn owns that dreadnought in style, it's crazy. How does Eisenhorn move around, though? I haven't read Pariah yet, and I'd think someone who isn't part of Ravenor's group would go running at the sight of Cherubael.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

99.999999999% of imperium citizens have no idea what a demonhost is.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Did they change the ebook store? It's not listing US price anymore and is telling me I'm in the wrong region.

Impaired Casing
Jul 1, 2012

We don't make mistakes, just happy little accidents.

orphean posted:

I am the same way. The new Ciaphas Cain book comes out, and I put it in my cart, then say to myself "Well, this will last me a day or two... Might as well get the next Space Wolf book while I am at it." So I always end up getting 2 or 3 books at once.

Speaking of, "The Greater Good" is a misleading title. It's just tyranids. There is a tau guy in it, but he sort of does nothing, other than being more sane than any human, save for Cain himself. I think that's why I like the series so much. Cain isn't a coward in the 41st millennium, he is a normal guy in the 41st millennium. But aside from that, I'd have to say that this was probably my least favorite entry. I never really got the vibe of every book being the same like some people have said until I read this one. It had Space Marines in it, which was neat, but other than that there is only so much you can do with tyranids, which ends up being the same as every other tyranid book.

Now I am on the fourth book of the Space Wolf series, and have loved it all so far. Plus, this one takes place on Terra, so that's pretty nifty. Since I am almost done with it, are the last two Space Wolf books really that bad? I can understand if they are not as good as the first four, since they are by a different author, or is it just plain bad?

Oh, and I have never played the table top game at all, but found out there was a Games Workshop at a mall near me. Holy. Crap. Everything is expensive. And not just like "oh that's a bit high" but flat out expensive. 55 dollars for a Grey Knight Dreadknight, whatever the hell that thing is, 100 bucks for a starting force, and it goes on and on. I joked with one of the guys there, asking if the "Ork Trukk" was called that because it sounded more Orkey, or so that they can copyright the name and charge more. He did not find it funny. That said, the painted miniatures they had on display looked really cool, especially the Salamanders army they had. Yet, the whole time all I could think of was how much said army cost in all.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Impaired Casing posted:

I am the same way. The new Ciaphas Cain book comes out, and I put it in my cart, then say to myself "Well, this will last me a day or two... Might as well get the next Space Wolf book while I am at it." So I always end up getting 2 or 3 books at once.

BlackLibrary.txt. It doesn't help that these books are just pure candy and you can get through them so quickly either.

I'm tentatively looking forward to Commissar by Andy Hoare coming out next month. Has anyone read the new Yarrick book? How is it?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Impaired Casing posted:

Speaking of, "The Greater Good" is a misleading title. It's just tyranids. There is a tau guy in it, but he sort of does nothing, other than being more sane than any human, save for Cain himself. I think that's why I like the series so much. Cain isn't a coward in the 41st millennium, he is a normal guy in the 41st millennium. But aside from that, I'd have to say that this was probably my least favorite entry. I never really got the vibe of every book being the same like some people have said until I read this one. It had Space Marines in it, which was neat, but other than that there is only so much you can do with tyranids, which ends up being the same as every other tyranid book.
It doesn't help that half of the Cain books and stories are about Tyranids, the other half are about Necrons and the first one with 'nids? Yup, Tau in that too. *sigh*

I still love them, but drat if it don't depress me how easily I am entertained.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Azubah posted:

Did they change the ebook store? It's not listing US price anymore and is telling me I'm in the wrong region.
You probably got to a foreign version of the site. It happened to me once with the GW site - I almost had a heart attack seeing a 50% price increase on everything, until I finally realized I was in the Australian version of the site. Clear your cookies and you should be fine.

Impaired Casing posted:

Oh, and I have never played the table top game at all, but found out there was a Games Workshop at a mall near me. Holy. Crap. Everything is expensive. And not just like "oh that's a bit high" but flat out expensive. 55 dollars for a Grey Knight Dreadknight, whatever the hell that thing is, 100 bucks for a starting force, and it goes on and on. I joked with one of the guys there, asking if the "Ork Trukk" was called that because it sounded more Orkey, or so that they can copyright the name and charge more. He did not find it funny. That said, the painted miniatures they had on display looked really cool, especially the Salamanders army they had. Yet, the whole time all I could think of was how much said army cost in all.
Yep. I got into 40K back in the 90's - I cannot imagine anyone getting into the game now. I have no clue how anyone could possibly afford to get an entire army these days. I think that part of the reason GW charges so much is to offset for the people leaving the hobby for a less expensive alternative.

That being said, Ebay and online retailers like The Warstore are your friends. I just picked up a well painted $250 Warmaster Chaos army for $100 the other day on Ebay.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
It depends on what other dumb hobby you compare it to. I figured out that I'd spend just as much or more trying to be competitive at Magic: the Gathering, for instance, as collecting 40K minis, and 40K gives some hobby value that I enjoy beyond just playing the game. Likewise, I've probably spent much more on model rockets and associated supplies over the years than you'd need to spend to get into wargaming (though probably not if you were continually buying new minis for the same amount of time). And you can pretty much go on down the list of first-world hobbies before you get to one that's inherently less expensive.

None of which is to say that they don't take a disgusting markup over the costs for materials, labor and distribution, because I'm sure they do. Case in point, prices actually going up when they switched to the much cheaper (and inferior) material of Finecast, over metal. Most of the plastic stuff is a tolerably good value, though.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
For those who don't know, Finecast is to fine detail miniature models what used toilet paper is to book pages.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that their biggest costs were distribution and administration, not manufacturing. Although I do know that tooling for injection molded plastic is fabulously expensive. For resin casts, though, I think that the capital costs are pretty low and manufacturing costs depend a lot more on your QA standards (i.e. how much you're willing to throw away due to miscasts).

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)

euphronius posted:

99.999999999% of imperium citizens have no idea what a demonhost is.

It floats, it's bound in chains, it projects an aura of maliciousness... I dunno, I'd start running. Actually who cares, it's cool that they're running around (Eisenhorn and Cherubael, I mean) and doing things.

Just got the Grey Knights omnibus. Don't know what to expect, but I hope to read more about the Ordo Malleus Inquisitors.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Schneider Heim posted:

It floats, it's bound in chains, it projects an aura of maliciousness... I dunno. Actually who cares, it's cool that they're running around and doing things.

Just got the Grey Knights omnibus. Don't know what to expect, but I hope to read more about the Ordo Malleus Inquisitors.

Except for the chains part it could be an Inquisitor or some random dude in a grav lift.

Big Willy Style
Feb 11, 2007

How many Astartes do you know that roll like this?

euphronius posted:

Except for the chains part it could be an Inquisitor or some random dude in a grav lift.

Probably should run the gently caress away from Inquisitors too.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches

Schneider Heim posted:

It floats, it's bound in chains, it projects an aura of maliciousness...

This doesn't really limit anything. You're talking about a culture where roboticized skulls fly around. Pretty much everything floats and has an aura of palpable menance. :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Impaired Casing posted:

Now I am on the fourth book of the Space Wolf series, and have loved it all so far. Plus, this one takes place on Terra, so that's pretty nifty. Since I am almost done with it, are the last two Space Wolf books really that bad? I can understand if they are not as good as the first four, since they are by a different author, or is it just plain bad?

The Lee Lightner Space Wolf books are just plain bad, and every other type of bad you can think of. If you need more Space Wolves after finishing Wolfblade you should pick up Battle of the Fang by Chris Wraight, or wait for his upcoming book Blood of Asaheim that'll be out in April. The Horus Heresy Space Wolves books (A Thousand Sons/Prospero Burns) are also very good.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Schneider Heim posted:

The first book is decent enough I guess, the second and third get increasingly ridiculous and fan-fictiony. You should have just gotten The Emperor's Gift instead.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Jan 23, 2013

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

For those who don't know, Finecast is to fine detail miniature models what used toilet paper is to book pages.

That is such incredible bollocks.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Not at all. Off the top of my head I've had one Finecast kit that didn't require replacing because of miscasts or just whole chunks of the model not actually being there. And that's aside from the fact that having loving air bubbles all over your premium priced model is meant to be perfectly normal now.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Jan 23, 2013

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
The limited edition Gamesday model, apart from not being part of the ticket cost anymore, is also full of holes. If you're going to go for something that you want people to brag about owning you probably want to make sure there aren't really obvious problems with it.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Here is a new trailer(I think?) for the CGI Ultramarines movie coming:
http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/01/23/ultramarines-a-warhammer-40000-movie-trailer

Also, it looks so unbelievably miserable.

[Edit] I'm dumb, I guess this is just the Blu Ray release of that other bad movie.

omg chael crash fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 23, 2013

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

omg chael crash posted:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2013/01/23/ultramarines-a-warhammer-40000-movie-trailer

[Edit] I'm dumb, I guess this is just the Blu Ray release of that other bad movie.
Yeah. I saw something on IO9 and got all excited, until I realized it was the same old terrible "movie." Do yourself a favor and check out The Lord Inquisitor to cleanse your palate. ADB is involved and GW isn't, so it's likely to be ok. The trailers alone are better than anything in Ultramarines.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
Why hasn't GW shut down the Lord Inquisitor yet? I mean I hope they don't but yikes.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

omg chael crash posted:

This is an amazing film to watch with friends familiar with 40k. It is so terrible it comes back around to hilarious.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

orphean posted:

Why hasn't GW shut down the Lord Inquisitor yet? I mean I hope they don't but yikes.
They are turning a blind eye to it because it 1) looks amazing and can do nothing but help them after the Ultramarines disaster; and 2) the guy doing it is doing it out of a love for the lore, and is not going to earn a cent from it. ADB is involved and has even discussed fluff things about it with GW, so if they haven't shut it down by now, they probably aren't going to.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

Not at all. Off the top of my head I've had one Finecast kit that didn't require replacing because of miscasts or just whole chunks of the model not actually being there. And that's aside from the fact that having loving air bubbles all over your premium priced model is meant to be perfectly normal now.

I've not had a single model with a small problem, let alone a major one requiring serious work or exchange. I think it's very much luck of the draw. The resin itself is good quality and produces some great models when compared to their metal casts - look at the techmarine box set for example, that model is absolutely ace in finecast.

On a non-derail-y note, I've just finished Salvation's Reach and found it quite middling. I enjoyed the set pieces and the look at the life of the camp followers but thought it didn't do much to advance the plot. I'm finding it hard to believe he's going to finish the entire story in two-three more books, unless "the victory" arc is actually the penultimate one (perhaps followed by the "we find a world and settle down on it and everyone is good until a tomb fleet kills everyone" arc).

But still, as much as Abnett rocks (and as I tell him every games day) I will never ever forgive him for the end of Sabbat Martyr.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

lenoon posted:

On a non-derail-y note, I've just finished Salvation's Reach and found it quite middling. I enjoyed the set pieces and the look at the life of the camp followers but thought it didn't do much to advance the plot. I'm finding it hard to believe he's going to finish the entire story in two-three more books, unless "the victory" arc is actually the penultimate one (perhaps followed by the "we find a world and settle down on it and everyone is good until a tomb fleet kills everyone" arc).

But still, as much as Abnett rocks (and as I tell him every games day) I will never ever forgive him for the end of Sabbat Martyr.

Well, I think people complained about the same thing regarding Straight Silver. (Or was it The Guns of Tanith? I'm talking about the pseudo-WW1 book in... Aexe Cardinal, I think?) It didn't advance the plot at all. :v:

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

lenoon posted:

Abnett having abrupt, terrible endings is like a baby pooping its diaper. Sure it's an awful-smelling mess, but it's strangely adorable and dealing with it time and time again endears him to you for some reason.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Jan 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Polpoto
Oct 14, 2006

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Abnett having abrupt, terrible endings is like a baby pooping its diaper. Sure it's an awful-smelling mess, but it's strangely adorable and dealing with it time and time again endears him to you for some reason.

Yea but you eventually get sick of it/the kids become potty trained.

Abnett hasn't shown that level of progression; I still think he's way above most BL writers, but the abrupt endings are becoming annoying.

EDIT: I don't mean to bash Abnett but I'm always curious if it is deadlines/word count that is causing him to wrap up things so quickly or this really is the way he writes.

Polpoto fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 24, 2013