Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

yyyyyy posted:

I think electric is just the future in terms of cars, the only things holding it back as a complete replacement are battery technology & energy infrastructure, which is cool for every actual real reason but really sad because combustion engines are just way more interesting in terms of sounds & sweet stuff happening by 1000%. An electric car, even electric racecars ain't gonna have any fireballs popping out the exhaust or badass turbo blowoff noises or any of that.

Yeah nothing cool like that, just a few balls of plasma when the batteries short out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
They can pry internal combustion engines from my cold dead hands.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

yyyyyy posted:

An electric car, even electric racecars ain't gonna have any fireballs popping out the exhaust or badass turbo blowoff noises or any of that.

sorry for the double post!

Well, if you have charging infrastructure at the track, you can use it to power big fuckoff tesla coils and jacob's ladders and poo poo like that while the cars are out racing.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

KozmoNaut posted:

Diesels still get those sweet sweet MPGs, and the twin-charging setup is rather complex, especially if something goes wrong.

This is how the picture looks in my part of the world
90TSI
0-100km/h 9.5 seconds
5.9l/100km combined
$38,500

118TSI
0-100km/h 8.0 seconds
6.0l/100km combined
$43,750

77TDI BMT
0-100km/h 11.2 seconds
4.2l/100km combined
$40,750

103TDI
0-100km/h 9.3 seconds
5.4l/100km combined
$45,750

The 118TSI is easily the sweet spot, especially given the extra expenses of running a diesel here (taxed differently)

sadnessboner
Feb 20, 2006
I've been shopping for a hot 'supermini' recently and the twincharged 1.4 feels amazing in the current Polo GTI and Skoda Fabia RS. The DSG shifts faster and better than I could ever hope to but sucks any involvement out of the drive. Even the far less powerful Suzuki Swift Sport ended up being a better fun than the vag twins.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

dissss posted:

The 118TSI is easily the sweet spot, especially given the extra expenses of running a diesel here (taxed differently)

It depends a lot on local taxation and fuel prices. Around here, diesel is almost 10% cheaper than gasoline, and road tax is more or less the same once you get into this kind of fuel mileage.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Twin-charging generally refers to both a turbocharger and supercharger. :eng101:

Twin charging is such a dumb name for such a cool thing - we should call it Super-turbocharging (or technically Super-Superturbo charged, given a turbocharger is actually properly called a super-turbocharger) like the Italians called it in the S4. THAT sounds awesome. A mouthful but hey, twincharged sounds so wimpy in comparison.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
More exciting Chrysler news. The Ram Longhauler might be back!

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/18/ram-long-hauler-prototype-spotted-testing-world-about-to-get-ne/

8 foot bed, 197" wheelbase and a 162 gal tank that costs $700 to fill? These should sell like hotcakes to balding middle management office workers everywhere.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Throatwarbler posted:

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/18/ram-long-hauler-prototype-spotted-testing-world-about-to-get-ne/

8 foot bed, 197" wheelbase and a 162 gal tank that costs $700 to fill? These should sell like hotcakes to balding middle management office workers everywhere.

They saw that doomsday prepper show and realized there was an untapped market.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

At 12mpg that's enough fuel to get you from Miami to Chicago and have plenty of gas in the tank.

See https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=12+mpg+*+162+gallons & http://goo.gl/maps/W0rx7 .

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

At 12mpg that's enough fuel to get you from Miami to Chicago and have plenty of gas in the tank.

See https://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=12+mpg+*+162+gallons & http://goo.gl/maps/W0rx7 .
A tank like that would actually be really useful when towing really bigass poo poo when the mileage drops to something dismal. Still seems like overkill, though.

grover fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Jan 21, 2013

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Although I'm pretty sure it's just a commercial chassis that they've decided for some reason to release to the civilian market, I am tickled by the idea of how goddamn long it would take to fill up a behemoth like that at the local corner gas station.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Although I'm pretty sure it's just a commercial chassis that they've decided for some reason to release to the civilian market, I am tickled by the idea of how goddamn long it would take to fill up a behemoth like that at the local corner gas station.

That's literally what the linked article says: "As a refresher, the Long-Hauler rides on the 197.4-inch wheelbase of the Ram 5500 chassis – usually reserved for stake or box trucks"

grover posted:

A tank like that would actually be really useful when towing really bigass poo poo when the mileage drops to something dismal. Still seems like overkill, though.

Overkill to own personally, yes unless you live somewhere it can be a status symbol without being impractical (Alberta). Overkill to be able to rent, or to use to provide a service, remains to be seen.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Cocoa Crispies posted:

That's literally what the linked article says: "As a refresher, the Long-Hauler rides on the 197.4-inch wheelbase of the Ram 5500 chassis – usually reserved for stake or box trucks"
Makes sense, I dunno how I missed that.

I can't wait to have to maneuver around those things at the local mall. The F650s are bad enough.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Makes sense, I dunno how I missed that.

I can't wait to have to maneuver around those things at the local mall. The F650s are bad enough.

Personally I'm going to enjoy dodging the drunk idiots driving them late at night here.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Just to put it another way; 162 gallons of diesel weighs about a thousand pounds.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

MrChips posted:

Just to put it another way; 162 gallons of diesel weighs about a thousand pounds.

And in England, costs the same amount :v:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Another way for Americans to waste money and fuel. Thank god.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
It's a monument to American excess and I mean that in the best way possible.

Dielectric
May 3, 2010
Bolt in a fifth-wheel hitch and it seems like a good Hotshot truck, right? Just a little practice for in-flight driver changes and you're good to go!

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

All the worrywarts thought that Fiat was going to neuter Chrysler, but from all appearances, Sergio told them to go hog wild.

Giblet Plus!
Sep 14, 2004

Navistar beat them to this amazingly creative and wild concept:

Cocoa Crispies posted:

Translation: Expect this truck to ride like poo poo

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

Bob NewSCART posted:

Another way for Americans to waste money and fuel. Thank god.

IS it really much different than filling up a Ram 3500 four times?

I could see this finding a niche among farmers or smalltime hauling companies. Around here, RV production and sales are huge, and there are lots of people who own business dedicated to hauling one camper at a time to dealers around the country. These people may have purchase agreements set up with local fuel stops to get cheaper diesel. With the Long Hauler, they can fill up once, and make a round trip on cheap stuff.

BabyMauler
Sep 19, 2005

Dielectric posted:

Bolt in a fifth-wheel hitch and it seems like a good Hotshot truck, right? Just a little practice for in-flight driver changes and you're good to go!

I think Sergio is my favorite auto executive since Bob Lutz. The man just kind of says crazy poo poo like "Alfa's will never use American engines, they need wop engines to be Alfa's"

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
God fuckin' drat it I loving hate this country.

Was getting my wheels balanced and I walked across the street to the Mazda dealership and they had a 2014 Mazda 6 Skyactiv-G. It's really, really nice and everything is well thought out, except for the fact that we are not going to get the wagon. Skyactiv-D Mazda 6 Wagon would be fantastic.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Giblet Plus! posted:

Translation: Expect this truck to ride like poo poo

Nobody cares about ride quality and going over a thousand miles on a tank in a pickup truck.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
On TV, I kept seeing TV advertising the Toyota Venza's AWD capability, doing all these tests in an ice rink.
I happen to see a flash of studs on the tires in one shot, so I dig into it online:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVpCd4535Xg&t=180s
People in the comments talk about the studs, which you can see in the linked timestamp.

The official Toyota comment links to this completely unbiased testing service:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AMCITesting
Oh, they only have videos pertaining to the Venza, which compares favorably with the Impreza.

What a lovely attempt at appealing to authority.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You can really tell who hauls poo poo and who doesn't. Even the broest of bro-trucks here aren't duallys. With a heavy trailer my dodge would be down to 7mpg, and with a tank that only holds 35 gallons from dry that only gives you a 245 mile range. with a limited number of stations in large cities that support trucks pulling 30 foot trailers, you would end up going 30 minutes+ out of the way to fuel up in some cases, or fueling up 50+ miles more often because you know there isn't another station which really sucks either way. Being able to carry extra fuel and still have a full 8 foot bed would really pay off, This 3000+lb drilling turntable fit between the tailgate and jockey tank without an inch to spare, and the trailer was maxed out for legal weight.

And of course, driving through a major city at rush hour

Once you get into the commercial poo poo and have to keep a log book, you can still legally drive about 600 miles a day, and could do so a lot easier without having to fuel up 3-4 times a day. Nobody is going to buy that as a personal vehicle to show off at the grocery store. It make sense for what it's built for which is small time long hauls, Hot shots and horse trailers, and not much else.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Powershift posted:

Nobody is going to buy that as a personal vehicle to show off at the grocery store.
C'mon, man. You live in Alberta too.

Like I said, I've seen guys showing off their immaculate F650s before. I'm not going to deny the Longhauler is useful for its intended purpose (hotshotting, as another goon said).

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jan 22, 2013

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Powershift posted:

Once you get into the commercial poo poo and have to keep a log book, you can still legally drive about 600 miles a day, and could do so a lot easier without having to fuel up 3-4 times a day. Nobody is going to buy that as a personal vehicle to show off at the grocery store. It make sense for what it's built for which is small time long hauls, Hot shots and horse trailers, and not much else.

Don't you have to stop and buy gas in every state anyway?

You Am I posted:

And in England, costs the same amount :v:
You really didn't get enough credit for this one.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

oRenj9 posted:

You really didn't get enough credit for this one.
You're implying it's a joke.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

InitialDave posted:

You're implying it's a joke.

I always appreciate a good pun.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

angryhampster posted:

IS it really much different than filling up a Ram 3500 four times?

I could see this finding a niche among farmers or smalltime hauling companies. Around here, RV production and sales are huge, and there are lots of people who own business dedicated to hauling one camper at a time to dealers around the country. These people may have purchase agreements set up with local fuel stops to get cheaper diesel. With the Long Hauler, they can fill up once, and make a round trip on cheap stuff.

It's more the fact that the thing looks and practically is a bus.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Powershift posted:

You can really tell who hauls poo poo and who doesn't.

There are more than one company that offers auxiliary tanks that would fit in addition to your large (single? dual?) tank setup, so having to drive out of the way is a bit silly. Hell, there are underbed tanks that would probably take you closer to 100 gallons if you replaced your factory tank(s) too.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What is hot shotting?

Devyl
Mar 27, 2005

It slices!

It dices!

It makes Julienne fries!

DJ Commie posted:

There are more than one company that offers auxiliary tanks that would fit in addition to your large (single? dual?) tank setup, so having to drive out of the way is a bit silly. Hell, there are underbed tanks that would probably take you closer to 100 gallons if you replaced your factory tank(s) too.

This. There's quite a few companies that make high-capacity fuel tanks for trucks. For example, Transfer Flow & Titan Fuel Tanks. They both manufacture not only in-bed but also under-bed gas tanks in the 30-75 gallon range for most trucks.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

2ndclasscitizen posted:

What is hot shotting?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ih78dz2XyLc

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

2ndclasscitizen posted:

What is hot shotting?

Hot shotting is on-demand shipping for critical items. Let's say you run a factory and something fails, shutting down your assembly line. You'd call a hotshot company to deliver the part from the supplier ASAP, because it can't wait for FedEx the next morning.

Hotshot servce is fantastically expensive, but it is cheaper than idling a business for a day or two.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MrChips posted:

Hot shotting is on-demand shipping for critical items.

A private courier, as the educated classes would say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

MrChips posted:

Hotshot servce is fantastically expensive, but it is cheaper than idling a business for a day or two.

I seem to remember a story about Chevrolet having seats in storage damaged at the Corvette factory in Kentucky, and they had the leather flown from the tannery in eastern Europe to London, flown on the Concorde to New York, taken on a business jet to the seat factory, assembled, and then flown right to the Corvette factory in Bowling Green, with hours to spare before the factory would have to be idled. This extravagance was much cheaper than letting the factory idle.