Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

There is nothing to appriciate. Watch an LP if you must but please, please don't play it.

Why the hell would I watch someone play through it, taking up the same amount of time, when I can actually play through it myself?

I must suffer like G did. :unsmigghh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Metroid Other M: Watch Slowbeef's Retsupurae of theatre mode.

You see all the stupidity with none of the work.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Speaking of Retro, maybe we'll get to see what they've beenm up to tomorrow.

Yes, I know, there's no way we find out before E3, let me dream.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

deadwing posted:

Why the hell would I watch someone play through it, taking up the same amount of time, when I can actually play through it myself?

I must suffer like G did. :unsmigghh:

No, not even G suffered as much as anyone who played Other M at full price. Godspeed, for what it's worth.

Other M is so terrible that it's not even fun to watch others play. It really is the worst "worst game" of any given franchise I could think of. It is that irredeemable. At least Sonic 2006 has a better than "forgettable garbage" level soundtrack, with glitches so terrible it borders on unintentionally hilarious, and it didn't really do more to ruin the character of Sonic or his franchise compared to what Other M did to Samus.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sonic at least managed to salvage himself after Sonic '06, granted it took nearly 6 years for it to happen but he recovered. Samus just needs time.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

fivegears4reverse posted:

No, not even G suffered as much as anyone who played Other M at full price. Godspeed, for what it's worth.

Other M is so terrible that it's not even fun to watch others play. It really is the worst "worst game" of any given franchise I could think of. It is that irredeemable. At least Sonic 2006 has a better than "forgettable garbage" level soundtrack, with glitches so terrible it borders on unintentionally hilarious, and it didn't really do more to ruin the character of Sonic or his franchise compared to what Other M did to Samus.

Also Sonic 2006 was the game that followed almost ten years of bad Sonic games. Coming up with the worst Sonic game at that point is an anticlimax. Other M was a train wreck that came out of nowhere...

And I still recommend playing it. Other M needs to be played so that you can learn the lesson first hand. Watching someone else play it just isn't good enough.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I wonder if this is real or not??

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Pokemon Mini? That thing from a decade ago? The Pokewalker? THE HELL?
EDIT: Well whaddaya know, the Mini had cartridges and everything. Weird that they mention it in the Source Code for the page but hey, whatevs.

...also WiiU VC I guess.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Jan 23, 2013

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

deadwing posted:

I picked it up for I believe 5bux from Best Buy. It's just been sitting on my shelf staring at me. As the biggest loving Metroid fan ever, I feel like I need to play it, just to suffer like all the fools who spent fifty at launch on it did.

Maybe my expectations are lowered enough that I might actually squeeze some enjoyment out of it!

Got everyones responses. This one feels like me the most. Not "biggest fan" but I love series and I've played every other metroid and its annoying to have that streak broken by a know poo poo game. I guess reading a plot summary will suffice. I defiantly will rent it if I do break down as I'm not supporting it with a purchase.

Probably doesnt help playing MP3 now, because it is amazing. I wish the Wii trilogy wasnt ~80$.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Just looked at the source code for the page in Chrome and that stuff is indeed in there.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

We know it is coming what is important is when

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

The biggest problem I had with Other M, besides everything else listed. was the loving horrible dialogue. Like, it was blatantly obvious they did a quick, cheap job of translating it from Japanese to English. If you're going to try to add depth to this mysterious character I've been in love with since I was 8 years old, at least put some loving effort into it.

Metroid: Other M writers posted:

Code name: Baby's Cry - a common SOS with the urgency of a baby crying. The nickname comes from the fact that the purpose of the signal is to draw attention. The signal was coming from a remote part of space. I altered the course of my ship as if this detour had already been part of my flight plan. Baby's Cry... it was as though it was crying specifically for me.

What the poo poo

I feel like I need to go play Super Metroid and take a rape shower just thinking about that game.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Yarbald posted:

I feel like I need to go play Super Metroid and take a rape shower just thinking about that game.

A WHAT shower?

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

DoctorWhat posted:

A WHAT shower?

"The act of showering or bathing following a particularly traumatic event in an attempt to wash away all physical and emotional traces of the horror just experienced. Typically effected in a foetal position, huddled in a corner of the shower stall, whilst weeping and limply rubbing a bar of soap over one's body as the scalding hot water mixes with the tears running down one's cheeks."

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
New Lego City Undercover footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CyH8Na_Hck

Magnatux
Nov 13, 2004

The surrealistic adventure became my world.
I really want Lego City Undercover. Everything I see about it makes me want it. I was skeptical at first because Lego, but the more I see, the more I'm happier with the implementation. The build system looks awesome, the cutscenes and combat look hilarious, and the world seems to be as alive as a GTA game. Also giant destruction balls.

Now, about Other M: As a person who got it as a gift shortly after launch day because I am a huge Metroid fan and just assumed it would be a good game, I can tell you do not pay full price. The jumping and shooting is actually fun, but the major, major problem with the gameplay is that it's not playing a game.

Other M is a movie written by a fanboy that you guide Samus through.

I had a much longer post, but for brevity's sake, if your favorite part of a Metroid game is X, then Y is why you should not play Other M:
Exploration -> On-rails.
Samus' Character -> Character Assassination.
Options in combat -> Finishing moves required.
Show don't tell -> Tell while telling and then tell while showing and then tell in between and before and after.
Quick Time Events -> Why would you want these in something that isn't Wario Ware.
Boss Battles where you land the final blow in free combat -> No, gently caress you more finishing moves/QTEs.
Challenging final boss -> I won't spoil the story's final boss but I will tell you you'll be disappointed.
Three bosses from old games -> Alright cool go ahead but two of those fights are terrible Ridley/Epilogue boss seriously I don't want to spoil it and the other one is the high point of the game Nightmare

Also the "gently caress you Sakamoto" is from the Other M LP wherein there was mountains of evidence that Team Ninja kept trying to make a game and Sakamoto single handedly ruined the game and was protected by politics.

Honestly, if you could do a run with no cutscenes, unlimited time on QTE situations, and lower mob health (meaning finishing moves aren't required), I would be okay with this 3d spiritual remake of Metroid Fusion.

Oh for fucks sake just go play fusion and pretend it's in 3d.

Magnatux fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 23, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

socialsecurity posted:

We know it is coming what is important is when
And whether:

a) You'll be able to transfer your original Wii VC licenses to the Wii U VC
b) Can play on the Gamepad screen

Maybe the prices can come down a little too, please? Maybe? Please? :(

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The Gamepad thing is already confirmed, it's basically all we know.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

TaurusOxford posted:

Metroid Other M: Watch Slowbeef's Retsupurae of theatre mode.

You see all the stupidity with none of the work.

Here is a link to video TaurusOxford was talking about. After watching you would agree with that custom title of his.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMI1-DDklqE

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Yarbald posted:

The biggest problem I had with Other M, besides everything else listed. was the loving horrible dialogue. Like, it was blatantly obvious they did a quick, cheap job of translating it from Japanese to English. If you're going to try to add depth to this mysterious character I've been in love with since I was 8 years old, at least put some loving effort into it.

If it explains anything, Sakamoto directly rewrote the script into English himself despite not being a native speaker, and specifically instructed the voice actress performing as Samus to sound monotonous and unhuman. He turned down Jennifer Hale and brought in a classically trained stage actress and forced her to sound braindead.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Who the hell puts midnight as 2400 hours?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

nerdbot posted:

If it explains anything, Sakamoto directly rewrote the script into English himself despite not being a native speaker, and specifically instructed the voice actress performing as Samus to sound monotonous and unhuman. He turned down Jennifer Hale and brought in a classically trained stage actress and forced her to sound braindead.

I like to think that Hale read the script and just turned HIM down instead.

J
Jun 10, 2001

In addition to all the other awful poo poo people have already mentioned about Other M, the dodge mechanic is laughably terrible. You have to hit a direction on the d-pad to dodge an incoming hit. The timing is really lenient anyway, but there is also no penalty for mistiming it as well. So you can just mash out 360s on the D-pad like you're playing Zangief online in street fighter and Samus will cartwheel all over the goddamn place dodging everything with no skill required. It's so loving bad. Please do not play Other M. Please do not watch any LPs of Other M. Your brain will thank you.

Eat My Ghastly Ass
Jul 24, 2007

nerdbot posted:

Well that makes a whole poo poo ton of sense. I mean why the dialogue was horrible, not what he did.

TaurusOxford posted:

I like to think that Hale read the script and just turned HIM down instead.

I'm going to go with this, too.

Eat My Ghastly Ass fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 23, 2013

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Please let Skies of Arcadia Legends be one of the first games announced for the WiiU VC :pray:
Also, if at all possible, keep GC games under $20 bucks :pray:

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

nerdbot posted:

Every time I hear about this guy it keeps on getting more hilariously bad, approaching a Tommy Wiseau level. Is he making himself a scapegoat or something?

kirbysuperstar posted:

Someone who wants to distinguish that it's the midnight ending a particular day, not starting one? But if you're listing the date anyway you might as well just roll it over, yeah.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Calaveron posted:

Please let Skies of Arcadia Legends be one of the first games announced for the WiiU VC :pray:

I wish they would be $10 but bet they will be $15.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Spacebump posted:

I wish they would be $10 but bet they will be $15.

They'd almost have to be. Unless Nintendo drops the price of everything else, $10 would put them the same as N64 games, and we all know that's not happening.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Calaveron posted:

$20 would make no sense since that's how much a Wii game costs these days when re-released by Nintendo.

Honestly let the publisher decide.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm in Japan and many bars list that they are open until 26:00 or later. It's a bit confusing working on a more than 24 hour clock.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Shelf Adventure posted:

I'm in Japan and many bars list that they are open until 26:00 or later. It's a bit confusing working on a more than 24 hour clock.

Is Japan on a different planet or something?

What's the reasoning? So you look at 26:00 as being "late" instead of "early?" That's weird.

Will the US be getting a Nintendo Direct as well, or not?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
gently caress, running into my first Wii U issue, though it might be my external hard drive. Every time I try to download The Cave, it crashes before it finishes downloading. It says the external hard drive shut off. I even tried formatting it and trying again. I'm on my third attempt at downloading it.

:smith:

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Soul Glo posted:

Will the US be getting a Nintendo Direct as well, or not?

Yeah, same time as the others: 9 am ET

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Zeeman posted:

Yeah, same time as the others: 9 am ET

Cool, thanks. Somehow I've only seen that it was going to be in Japan and EU. Hopefully they'll get up and give some new release schedules through the Summer. Probably not though, because :argh:Nintendooooo:argh:.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
C'mon Bayonetta 2 footage...and for that MGS Revengeance rumor to come true :ohdear:

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Maybe since it starting around the time the THQ bids are finalized, maybe Nintendo bought them? :unsmith:

Good Party Dad
May 10, 2006
Me fail english, thats unpossible!
the cave is great! but no gamepad only :(

co-op is pretty fun, my roommate kept giving me directions and i was like, ok just pick up a controller and it was a pretty solid experience. throwing the camera back and forth becomes natural.

I had no idea going into this system how much I would want to have every game as a gamepad only option.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Rirse posted:

Maybe since it starting around the time the THQ bids are finalized, maybe Nintendo bought them? :unsmith:
South Park published by Nintendo :v:

Good Party Dad posted:

the cave is great! but no gamepad only :(

co-op is pretty fun, my roommate kept giving me directions and i was like, ok just pick up a controller and it was a pretty solid experience. throwing the camera back and forth becomes natural.

I had no idea going into this system how much I would want to have every game as a gamepad only option.
How are the controls? I saw a review of the Xbox one earlier saying input felt kind of laggy.

And off TV play was one of the things I was most looking forward to, which is why I'm fine with simple ports along with whatever fancy dual screen uses in other games.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Rirse posted:

Are studios included in the sale? If so, Nintendo buying Vigil Games with the Darksiders licsense makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Paper Jam Dipper posted:

Are studios included in the sale? If so, Nintendo buying Vigil Games with the Darksiders licsense makes sense.

Yeah, both the studios and the series. But it can lead to outcomes where Virgil is sold, but Darksiders goes to another company.

• Locked thread