Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Ghost Hand posted:

I agree with this. My buddy uses regular CSM Space Marine heads in the Oblit Models and they look SO much better than mine.

Pics?

Ghost Hand posted:

Even so for this Tzneetch list I am building now, I am making Obliterators out of the Chaos Terminator Warlord kit and this "Tentacle Maker" system I bought... Probably my most ambitious conversions to date.\

You bought a what now? Link please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

I'll have him send me some tonight.

Indolent Bastard posted:

You bought a what now? Link please.

Tentacle Maker

http://greenstuffindustries.blogspot.com/2011/12/tentacle-maker-saw-01-is-now-available.html

Comes in several different "sizes". I bought 3.

orphean
Apr 27, 2007

beep boop bitches
my monads are fully functional

Ghost Hand posted:

I don't know many gamers that are actually that competent at running a business to be honest.

I know what you're saying Ghost Hand and you're being very reasonable about the whole thing. Honestly though GW has really fouled certain things up and I don't think it's just a matter of internet people raging nonsensically.
  • Running away from internet distributors entirely. Their bizarre policy restricting any company from selling GW product online is baffling. I'll tie this one in with their region restrictions.
  • Finecast - Charging more for a product made of less expensive material. Material and QA issues with product.
  • Pricing - It is rapidly getting to the point where their pricing is reaching ludricious levels. The recent Hobbit release is a good example. 40 dollars for two resin gollum and Bilbo figures.
  • Insert personal pet GW bug-a-boo here.
That is hardly comprehensive, just some of the ones that bother me personally. Now maybe there are good and proper reasons for these things, it's hard to say since GW certainly isn't saying anything about them. They are about as opaque a company can be and still be publicly listed. Obviously this is working out for them to a large extant since they are profitable.

I don't honestly believe GW is run by a bunch of incompetents. I think they know full well what they are doing. My concern is that while being evil is profitable in the short-term it won't be sustainable. It's not as though people don't have entertainment options these days. Even within their market GW is facing increased competition.

I like their products, I like their IP in general. I would like to buy more product if GW didn't make it so difficult for me to be able to do so and to have the desire to do so. I don't think I'm alone.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

orphean posted:

I know what you're saying Ghost Hand and you're being very reasonable about the whole thing. Honestly though GW has really fouled certain things up and I don't think it's just a matter of internet people raging nonsensically.
  • Running away from internet distributors entirely. Their bizarre policy restricting any company from selling GW product online is baffling. I'll tie this one in with their region restrictions.
  • Finecast - Charging more for a product made of less expensive material. Material and QA issues with product.
  • Pricing - It is rapidly getting to the point where their pricing is reaching ludricious levels. The recent Hobbit release is a good example. 40 dollars for two resin gollum and Bilbo figures.
  • Insert personal pet GW bug-a-boo here.
That is hardly comprehensive, just some of the ones that bother me personally. Now maybe there are good and proper reasons for these things, it's hard to say since GW certainly isn't saying anything about them. They are about as opaque a company can be and still be publicly listed. Obviously this is working out for them to a large extant since they are profitable.

I don't honestly believe GW is run by a bunch of incompetents. I think they know full well what they are doing. My concern is that while being evil is profitable in the short-term it won't be sustainable. It's not as though people don't have entertainment options these days. Even within their market GW is facing increased competition.

I like their products, I like their IP in general. I would like to buy more product if GW didn't make it so difficult for me to be able to do so and to have the desire to do so. I don't think I'm alone.

Nope - you are definitely NOT alone and I actually agree with many of the points you have made. I didn't even mean to imply that your points were not valid. They are well reasoned. My point in general was just one of "I don't think putting gamers in charge of the company is the right move either..."

The price for me is a big factor, not PERSONALLY, (as I have some disposable income) but more towards the long term viability. It is just priced out of reach of new players - well certainly younger new players - so I just dont understand how the hobby is going to grow.

That's my main concern.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
I wonder if part of their biz strat is recognizing that it's going to become like the media companies (e.g. have their sales cannibalized by the internet and video games). It might just go from a hobby that starts out with young kids, and become a grown man's hobby like Gunpla, or even those 100$ lego kits.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look

Sephyr posted:

It's a shame you can't get a dedicated Land Raider with berserkers,

How do you mean? The list I'm preparing for this week has Kharn and 13 Berzerkers in a Land Raider, is that not allowed/legal?

Karandras
Apr 27, 2006

krushgroove posted:

How do you mean? The list I'm preparing for this week has Kharn and 13 Berzerkers in a Land Raider, is that not allowed/legal?

He means it's a shame you have to use up a Heavy Support choice to buy them the Land Raider and can't just take it as an upgrade like, say, Blood Angels can.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Ah. OK! I didn't actually realize that 'Dedicated Transport' did that as a rule.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Phyresis posted:

Obliterators are costed fine, I just don't like the fact that they can't shoot the same weapon two turns in a row and they can potentially break after taking one casualty. I know you can work around the weapon thing but I don't like them enough to be bothered and Havocs are so cheap now :) Forgefiends are the opposite; their performance is great, I just think they are a little too expensive. Even 150 would have been a lot better. I know 25 points is not much but it's the principle of the thing.

Oblits don't just crumple to Heldrakes like Havocs do, but I really don't like the models. Overall I'm kind of dissatisfied with CSM's Heavy Support.

:respek:

Forgefiends are too expensive, Vindicators are short range and can't reliably take down tanks, Predators are practically immobile and have crappy LOS with sponsons, Obliterators can get doubled out and have morale problems, Havoks also have morale problems and are both them and Oblits are infantry models so they can just get hosed down with midrange shooting like multilasers until they die/run.

And the chaos book doesn't have extra long range shooting in other slots, like dreads in elite or speeders in fast attack or even razorbacks.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

TheBlobThing posted:

So, after all this Storm Trooper chat, it sounds like they could be a fun gimmick unit but they are not on the top of my shopping list. Also, if there is any idea in taking 5-man squads, it is pretty obvious the engineer squad is the way to go: http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhamm..._ENGINEERS.html

Thanks for all the tips. I have another question though: what would be ideal to expand an IG infantry blob list from 1500 to larger points value, like 1850 or 2000? The list looks like this:

Company Command HQ with artillery guy in Chimera

Marbo

Inf. platoon
4 x squads
1 x Autocannon squad
1 x Lascannon squad

2 x Plasma vets in Chimeras

2 x Leman Russ

1 x Vendetta

Your platoon looks fine, although you might want a commissar in there if you want to give them orders and have them regularly pass (a single vox caster could help too, if you're into making a big blob). Flamers are good weapons for guardsmen, they don't rely on their poor BS. Plasma vets are a good choice, but sooner or later all 3 of the plasma gunners in the squad are going to off themselves at the same time. It happens to everyone eventually. Are you giving them carapace armor? That will save at least one of them if they decide to blow up their weapon while shooting it. Are you thinking standard Russes, with just a battle cannon? That's not a bad decision, though basilisks have a better gun, can fire indirect, and are cheaper (by 25 points; drop both russes, add 2 basilisks, and you have saved enough points to get another infantry squad on the ground). I've never used a Vendetta or Marbo, but just from reading this thread Marbo sounds like a good time. He appears wherever you want, throws a pie plate (I forget how strong, but it is not weak if I remember right) as soon as he comes in, and is relatively cheap. I think he costs as much as (or close to) a 5-man ST squad, but has far more immediate damage potential. In short, he will force a response from your opponent, and whatever is shooting at him isn't shooting it's guns at the rest of your army.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

TheBlobThing posted:

Thanks for all the tips. I have another question though: what would be ideal to expand an IG infantry blob list from 1500 to larger points value, like 1850 or 2000? The list looks like this:

I don't know if it's worth putting the CCS in a Chimera if it has a Master of Ordnance, considering that he can't fire if he's moved. Either remove him or have the CCS on foot (but in cover). With the points saved (from the MoO or Chimera) you can buy plasma guns and/or an autocannon for the squad, depending on its purpose.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

krushgroove posted:

A chaos landraider can only hold 10 models, so what you're doing is not legal, but not because of anything to do with dedicated transports.

Naramyth posted:

:respek:

Forgefiends are too expensive, Vindicators are short range and can't reliably take down tanks, Predators are practically immobile and have crappy LOS with sponsons, Obliterators can get doubled out and have morale problems, Havoks also have morale problems and are both them and Oblits are infantry models so they can just get hosed down with midrange shooting like multilasers until they die/run.

And the chaos book doesn't have extra long range shooting in other slots, like dreads in elite or speeders in fast attack or even razorbacks.

Give the havocs an icon of vengeance if you're afraid of them running away. Lord knows you can afford it with how cheap autocannons are.

And the book does have elite dreads, just not rifleman dreads.

PeterWeller fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jan 23, 2013

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Naramyth posted:

Vindicators are short range and can't reliably take down tanks,

S10 artillery with full strength on the blast at AP2? The only thing that can match it against tanks are railguns.

Though you want to run two. Always ALWAYS run two. Not three, not one. TWO.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
I think Vindicators are ok, but they are easy to get side shots on sometimes and they are usually a very high priority target for your enemy. The cannon is nice if you can pop/immo a tank on the first try, even better if you can hit more than one, but multiple single-target high strength shots are better at downing individual vehicles by stripping hull points. I never seem to find room in my lists for Vindies, either loyalist or traitor.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Managed to get a few games in over the weekend with the new Dark Angels book. I like it a lot, seems like there's a lot of good combinations you can do. The only new unit I ran was a kitted-out terminator command squad which ruled and wouldn't die. But I guess you could do that in the old codex too. This book actually has me thinking about running techmarines again which isn't something that has crossed my mind... ever.

As a side note, it is pretty easy to convert the terminator banner into being held rather than back-mounted. It looks better that way.

Ted Theodore Logan
May 10, 2007
If we hit that bull’s-eye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
So I am thinking of doing a little joke chaos army for a 750 point game.

Total Roster Cost: 750

HQ: Chaos Lord (1#, 175 pts)
1 Chaos Lord, Mark of Khorne + Sigil of Corruption + Juggernaut of Khorne + Veterans of the Long War + Axe of Blind Fury,

Troops: Khorne Berserkers (10#, 220 pts)
9 Khorne Berserkers, Veterans of the Long War
1 Berserker Champion, Combi-Meltagun

Troops: Khorne Berserkers (10#, 225 pts)
9 Khorne Berserkers, Veterans of the Long War
1 Berserker Champion, Power Sword

Troops: Chaos Cultists (20#, 130 pts)
19 Chaos Cultists, Mark of Khorne
1 Cultist Champion

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! I am mostly doing this because I want to play my super old khorne lord and juggernaut metal monster I have from 12-13 years ago. Still he gets 7 strength 7 ap 2 attacks on the charge with a chance of getting 6 more attacks with it, all at initiative 5. I do not know much that could survive that and if against space marines he gets to reroll all misses first round of combat. If all goes well I am going to replace it with this http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1710158a . From what I see of it, it would need very little converting.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I want to get a Juggernaut of Khorne just because they look awesome. Maybe that can be another project down the line...

PeterWeller posted:

A chaos landraider can only hold 10 models, so what you're doing is not legal, but not because of anything to do with dedicated transports.

Dammit - my first time using my Land Raider, somehow I thought they held 14

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
e: this is a great plasma-pistol to IG plasmagun conversion

WhiskeyJuvenile fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Jan 23, 2013

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

krushgroove posted:

I want to get a Juggernaut of Khorne just because they look awesome. Maybe that can be another project down the line...

Dammit - my first time using my Land Raider, somehow I thought they held 14

The two variant loyalist landraiders (crusaders and redeemers) can hold more, so that might be the source of your confusion.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Very simple and good looking, the best kind of conversion. I'd have never thought of that.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phyresis posted:

I think Vindicators are ok, but they are easy to get side shots on sometimes and they are usually a very high priority target for your enemy. The cannon is nice if you can pop/immo a tank on the first try, even better if you can hit more than one, but multiple single-target high strength shots are better at downing individual vehicles by stripping hull points. I never seem to find room in my lists for Vindies, either loyalist or traitor.

S10 + ordnance works, and your chances of getting a high result on the damage chart works, and running multiples works, and they're only 120 points.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Ted Theodore Logan posted:

FOR THE BLOOD GOD! I am mostly doing this because I want to play my super old khorne lord and juggernaut metal monster I have from 12-13 years ago. Still he gets 7 strength 7 ap 2 attacks on the charge with a chance of getting 6 more attacks with it, all at initiative 5. I do not know much that could survive that and if against space marines he gets to reroll all misses first round of combat. If all goes well I am going to replace it with this http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440108a&prodId=prod1710158a . From what I see of it, it would need very little converting.

I'm just sad that warpsmiths cannot take daemonic steads. Not only would it look amazing to convert one up to a Juggernaut (think tendril centaur) but the thing would be a beast with 8 S6 attacks on the charge. I'll just have to stick to the slaanesh boobsnake.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Terminator heads look amazing on Obliterators.

Anything would look better than the factory standard Meltface heads.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

I'll soon be doing a Planetfall mission as the attacker, playing as Dark Eldar. Anyone have advice with these sorts of games?

I'll be doing some combination of Raiders, Trueborn, Incubi and Reavers with Vect.

vvv The planetfall mission in the Planetstrike book, yeah vvv

Arbite fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Jan 23, 2013

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Arbite posted:

I'll soon be doing a Planetfall mission as the attacker, playing as Dark Eldar. Anyone have advice with these sorts of games?

I'll be doing some combination of Raiders, Trueborn, Incubi and Reavers with Vect.

You mean planet strike? I'd suggest some hellions because they can assault fairly effectively on the turn they arrive.

Ghost Hand
Aug 10, 2004

Rampant 40k Fanboy

I didn't shrink them down enough - but here:

http://www.theindependentcharacters.com/home/images/oblits/

Miles O'Brian
May 22, 2006

All we have to lose is our chains
They definitely look way better than the originals to my eyes.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

Yeah, liking this a lot better then the regular oblit head.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Anyone got any suggestions on what to replace their legs with? Oblits have the powerest of powersquatting poses.

Fish and Chimps
Feb 16, 2012

mmmfff
Fun Shoe

Icon Of Sin posted:

Your platoon looks fine, although you might want a commissar in there if you want to give them orders and have them regularly pass (a single vox caster could help too, if you're into making a big blob). Flamers are good weapons for guardsmen, they don't rely on their poor BS. Plasma vets are a good choice, but sooner or later all 3 of the plasma gunners in the squad are going to off themselves at the same time. It happens to everyone eventually. Are you giving them carapace armor? That will save at least one of them if they decide to blow up their weapon while shooting it. Are you thinking standard Russes, with just a battle cannon? That's not a bad decision, though basilisks have a better gun, can fire indirect, and are cheaper (by 25 points; drop both russes, add 2 basilisks, and you have saved enough points to get another infantry squad on the ground). I've never used a Vendetta or Marbo, but just from reading this thread Marbo sounds like a good time. He appears wherever you want, throws a pie plate (I forget how strong, but it is not weak if I remember right) as soon as he comes in, and is relatively cheap. I think he costs as much as (or close to) a 5-man ST squad, but has far more immediate damage potential. In short, he will force a response from your opponent, and whatever is shooting at him isn't shooting it's guns at the rest of your army.

Thanks for the tips. The list I posted was just a rough outline, and there are more upgrades in it (like vox casters and plasmas on the CCS) than I wrote. It was more to give you an idea about the base I was expanding on.
I'm going to use LR's instead of Basilisks because I already have 2 of the former but none of the latter. But maybe artillery would be a good way of expanding up to 1850/2000 points? I've heard good things about Manticores too.

AgentF posted:

I don't know if it's worth putting the CCS in a Chimera if it has a Master of Ordnance, considering that he can't fire if he's moved. Either remove him or have the CCS on foot (but in cover). With the points saved (from the MoO or Chimera) you can buy plasma guns and/or an autocannon for the squad, depending on its purpose.

I had not thought of that. I think I'll switch it out for a Commisar for the inf. blob. Thanks! I've never tried playing with a MoO.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
It's the funnest thing. Remember that the Company Commander can order Bring it Down on his own squad and twin-link the MoO's blast.

Highlight: Master of Ordnance calling down a blast across the table, in complete darkness, as the opening shot of the game. It scattered onto the enemy's HQ, a Big Mek, and splattered him instantly. Shame that Night-fighting prevents you from even picking a target beyond 36" in 6th.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Ive just spent nearly 2 hours gluing my Techmarine and Thunderfire Cannon together and now it's in the bin.

Gluing the Techmarine was perfectly simple and overall was a nice model. With the Thunderfire Cannon i had to do some minor bending (hot water to soften and then cold water to harden) and i was nearly done with the main assembly, until i had to glue on 4 little barrel things which looked easy enough. Unkown to me i had glued on the end of the barrel incorrectly and so i had to carefully pull it off. Unfortuneatly i end up ripping the bloody thing off and to add matters worse trying to glue it back on with the little things that go on the barrel all hell breaks loose.

Surfice to say i lost my temper and the techmarine exploded against the wall, alongside the Thunderfire Cannon, an unfinished Warpsmith and Sammael i bought the other weekend. After that i let off a very loud and angry scream (er Male scream, not female :P) and promptly noticed i managed to remove a small piece of wall paper in the corridor outside my room (oops).

Has anyone else had a similar experience where they carefully take their time with a model for it to then all go pear shaped and the model ends up in the bin?

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Baruch Obamawitz posted:

S10 + ordnance works, and your chances of getting a high result on the damage chart works, and running multiples works, and they're only 120 points.

The siege shield is pretty much mandatory, but otherwise spot on. 2 of them plus a unit of ac Havocs seems like the way to go with CSM heavy support to me.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

AgentF posted:

Surfice to say i lost my temper and the techmarine exploded against the wall, alongside the Thunderfire Cannon, an unfinished Warpsmith and Sammael i bought the other weekend.

What the gently caress is it about nerds that causes them to do poo poo like this?

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

Post 9-11 User posted:

Terminator heads look amazing on Obliterators.

Anything would look better than the factory standard Meltface heads.

I used parts from the chaos spawn box for the heads of my oblits

Cataphract
Sep 10, 2004

Fun Shoe

AgentF posted:

Ive just spent nearly 2 hours gluing my Techmarine and Thunderfire Cannon together and now it's in the bin.

Gluing the Techmarine was perfectly simple and overall was a nice model. With the Thunderfire Cannon i had to do some minor bending (hot water to soften and then cold water to harden) and i was nearly done with the main assembly, until i had to glue on 4 little barrel things which looked easy enough. Unkown to me i had glued on the end of the barrel incorrectly and so i had to carefully pull it off. Unfortuneatly i end up ripping the bloody thing off and to add matters worse trying to glue it back on with the little things that go on the barrel all hell breaks loose.

Surfice to say i lost my temper and the techmarine exploded against the wall, alongside the Thunderfire Cannon, an unfinished Warpsmith and Sammael i bought the other weekend. After that i let off a very loud and angry scream (er Male scream, not female :P) and promptly noticed i managed to remove a small piece of wall paper in the corridor outside my room (oops).

Has anyone else had a similar experience where they carefully take their time with a model for it to then all go pear shaped and the model ends up in the bin?

Dakka?

J Bjelke-Postersen
Sep 16, 2007

I have a 6 point plan to stop the boats.....or turn them around or something....No wait what were those points again....Are there really 6?

AgentF posted:

Ive just spent nearly 2 hours gluing my Techmarine and Thunderfire Cannon together, then I read the rules in the Codex and now it's in the bin.

Edit for real world bin destined model and I appreciated that passage of text, hilarious.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
I certainly hope that's from Dakka!

Cataphract posted:

I used parts from the chaos spawn box for the heads of my oblits

These look awesome. But if anyone is actually tossing out their Obliterator heads, pass them my way, they can certainly be put to good use!

AgentF
May 11, 2009

BoLS

Edit: Nerd raging is probably as common as other ragings, but are special in that they can really get expensive.

AgentF fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Jan 23, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I binned a ton of 2nd edition plastic models during my last move. Had been keeping a hold of them for years for no real reason, and I couldn't be bothered to go through the hassle of ebaying them before packing.

I'm talking at least 20-30 goff orks, 50 gretchin and quite a few space marines. Someone is reading this post and literally seething with rage right now.

:unsmigghh:

AgentF posted:

BoLS

Edit: Nerd raging is probably as common as other ragings, but are special in that they can really get expensive.

Ughhhhhh.

• Locked thread