Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

regulargonzalez posted:

Does anyone have a link to the youtube clip from a wrestling game with a hyper racist character (named something like 'Super Black Slayer' or something), I'm 99% sure it was posted in this thread but ages ago and looking through 268 pages quickly grows tiresome.

The Black Man Eliminator

Bonus video: Ultimate Crack Smoking Warlock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

regulargonzalez posted:

Does anyone have a link to the youtube clip from a wrestling game with a hyper racist character (named something like 'Super Black Slayer' or something), I'm 99% sure it was posted in this thread but ages ago and looking through 268 pages quickly grows tiresome.

The Black Man Eliminator? What are you, racist, nigga?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV6lkPhIcBY

e:f,b

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KV6lkPhIcBY

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Thousand thanks to you!

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Team killing will never get old for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RczKHUWyVb4

"Willy is killing willy!"

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

ColoradoCleric posted:

The best part of that video is that that Gmod kid shows up in a griefing vid made by another dude and the exact same thing happens to him.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Dauntasa posted:

The best part of that video is that that Gmod kid shows up in a griefing vid made by another dude and the exact same thing happens to him.
I swear I've seen this kid in more than two videos. kkimi67 has the worst luck. He's always screaming "DELETE THIS!" about something.

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dauntasa posted:

Oh wow I was just thinking it was similar to the earlier vid, I guess the Gmod world is small. Here's another TFC video from myg0t, kinda immature but the poo poo talking is hilarious:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VzJJ3STJxHU

edit: This one is pretty good for how raged people get:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBePwzX7htI

ColoradoCleric fucked around with this message at 03:53 on Jan 23, 2013

Teratrain
Aug 23, 2007
Waiting for Godot
It's almost impressive at the end where the Single Most White Middle-Class Teenager In The World manages to sorta-coherently string together so many generic "offensive" insults without missing a beat. It's like he channels the deity of angry FPS players for a brief moment in time.

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
Hot drat that guy can string those insults along like butter.

Double Monocle
Sep 4, 2008

Smug as fuck.

ColoradoCleric posted:

"Lacking a proper ring, I decided to propose with a boat"

DELETEEEE THISSSSSSS

Im sorry gentlemen, this is the pinnacle.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Double Monocle posted:

"Lacking a proper ring, I decided to propose with a boat"

DELETEEEE THISSSSSSS

Im sorry gentlemen, this is the pinnacle.

TKing does never get old, but I think my favorite is griefing the other team. I had a game of CS:GO earlier where this guy was dominating gun game to the point that he declared that he was done playing gun game, and was switching to knife game. He then proceeded to win gun game using only his loving knife while some little kid on the other team screamed at everyone about what a cheating _________ (insert whatever you want, he said it at some point) this guy was. It was glorious, he was griefing the other team and making them ragequit en masse by just being so god drat good.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

Not sure if this is a grief per se, but boy would it make people angry.

So, Age of Mythology was a 2003 rts with a quite strict rock-paper-scissors system. Archers dominate infantry who dominate cavalry who dominate archers. Myth class units dominate normal units who dominate (price- and pop-wise) hero units who dominate myth units. Because of this hard counter system, any army made up of one or two units would lose horribly to any but the worst player -- just build the counter and you'll dominate from a battle, population, and cost standpoint.
Peons / peasants were considered normal units but did not fit into any of the archery / infantry / cavalry classes, so the only units that got a significant bonus against them were myth units. Not a big deal since they were weak and only used for harvesting or emergency defense -- think Starcraft's zerg drones. They do have the advantage of costing only one point against your population count (where most mainline units were 2 and high end units could be 5 or more with a hard cap of 200 total pop points) and being very cheap.

You had your choice of the game of three races (four in expansion), each with three 'flavors'. Egypt's hero class was very, very weak against everything except myth units which it got a huge bonus to; normally priests were used for scouting and infrastructure activities. Imagine a zerg overlord with very minor combat skills. ut they were relatively cheap. One flavor of Egypt, Ra, was rarely played compared to Isis but did have one specific purchaseable ability that made villagers stronger to protect against raids. More defense, more hp, and even an extra bit of attack.

Combining all those facts together, I came up with a strategy for Ra that involved solely making villagers and priests. With the Skin of the Rhino ability, villagers were as tough as a mainline infantry unit (and cheaper, but slower) with only myth units as a counter. But cheap priests countered myth units. And with the low population count for both you could field an army of 150-200 units that had no hard counters.

Games invariably played out the same way every time. Your opponent would be probing early on and be amused you didn't have any military units. But given the units' low price and versatility, they'd be repelled every attack by swarms of villagers surrounding every unit while priests rained attacks from afar on myth units. By the midgame they'd be completely at a loss and by the end of the game with 150 villagers swarming their base I'd be getting called a hacker, griefer, exploiter -- they couldn't understand how their army could be overrun. Again, imagine playing SC2 and your completely built up army and base being destroyed by nothing but drones and overlords and being unable to stop it and you have an idea of how confusing and irritating it was to opponents.

(To be fair, this only worked up to about ESO 1725 rated players -- maybe the equivalent of Silver for SC2. Part of the problem is that villies are passive and must be microed to attack, no easy feat with hundreds of them. If they could have been set to default or agressive, I'd guess this strategy would be viable much higher).

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

Actually, there was a stretch where a booming Ra strategy (HUGE amounts of farming, then Rain) made Ra the top god out there; it was only later on that Ra became so unpopular. I played Odin, myself, and it was hilarious how angry lower-ranked people would get when a half-dozen raiding cavalry would hit their villagers between the 6:00 and 8:00 marks.

Then Microsoft griefed me and nerfed my poor jarls. :(

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

Taliesyn posted:

Actually, there was a stretch where a booming Ra strategy (HUGE amounts of farming, then Rain) made Ra the top god out there; it was only later on that Ra became so unpopular. I played Odin, myself, and it was hilarious how angry lower-ranked people would get when a half-dozen raiding cavalry would hit their villagers between the 6:00 and 8:00 marks.

Then Microsoft griefed me and nerfed my poor jarls. :(

I think that was pretty early on though, certainly before the expansion. Anc + Eclipse made Isis overwhelmingly the choice of Egypt players, when it could have been fixed so easily -- make Ancestors on their own stronger, make Eclipse not affect them. Set becomes instantly viable and Isis gets a nerf.

Taliesyn
Apr 5, 2007

regulargonzalez posted:

I think that was pretty early on though, certainly before the expansion. Anc + Eclipse made Isis overwhelmingly the choice of Egypt players, when it could have been fixed so easily -- make Ancestors on their own stronger, make Eclipse not affect them. Set becomes instantly viable and Isis gets a nerf.

Nobody every accused Microsoft of being good at game balance.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Now I don't usually grief people but this was a special case. Company of Heroes is a real time strategy game set in WWII (for those who don't know). I don't play Company of Heroes that often so I join a low-level server 4v4. I was playing the fast and mobile Panzer Elite faction and picked scorched earth doctrine. This doctrine allows you to, among other things, completely disable a resource point so nobody can use it and it needs to be repaired before it can be used again. However, the process of disabling the resource point is really fast.

So there is this guy who feels the need to chant his awesomeness at the game despite his low level. When we actually get into the game he decides to constantly remind me how much I suck at the game and should drop to let an AI play. Again, I don't play often so I suck at the game. Well, I'm content to ignore him until he starts destroying my HQ by force-firing panzershrecks on the ground underneath it. As he destroys my HQ I wonder if scorched earth works on friendly resource points and what do you know? They do! Since every Panzer Elite infantry unit can use Scorched Earth I went to town on the team's resources with my remaining guys. The guy that was angry at me earlier got really pissed. Unfortunately, he wasn't as colorful as most other grief stories on this thread, in fact he just kept on telling me I sucked.

After I felt enough damage had been done I announced that I was going to stop destroying the resource points and rebuild my HQ. But Mr. Really good at this game would have none of it and he called an artillery strike on the HQ. So I then proceeded to continue destroying resource points and blowing up his HQ with panzershrecks.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I assume he was on your team? I don't understand what the purpose of him attacking your HQ was. He's tying up his own units to attack yours, while damaging you. I assume he was still trying to win the game?

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

I assume he was on your team? I don't understand what the purpose of him attacking your HQ was. He's tying up his own units to attack yours, while damaging you. I assume he was still trying to win the game?

I'm guessing he was trying to make unwantedplatypus rage-quit, so that the AI would take over.

Infinite Monkeys
Jul 18, 2010

If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention.
I had no idea people played Age of Mythology competitively. I just used to play around using bawk bawk boom and making hordes of crocodiles against the AI :3:

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Cojawfee posted:

Usually the AI in CoH was pants on head retarded, but occasionally it became a pro RTS player and would dominate. Plus it would get bonus resources and do other weird poo poo.

Ryanbomber
Sep 27, 2004

Magres posted:

TKing does never get old, but I think my favorite is griefing the other team. I had a game of CS:GO earlier where this guy was dominating gun game to the point that he declared that he was done playing gun game, and was switching to knife game. He then proceeded to win gun game using only his loving knife while some little kid on the other team screamed at everyone about what a cheating _________ (insert whatever you want, he said it at some point) this guy was. It was glorious, he was griefing the other team and making them ragequit en masse by just being so god drat good.

Team Fortress remains a great place to do this. The weird hat culture has spawned a bunch of servers where people basically run around and taunt all day. Going onto these servers (hint: they usually have stereotypical manchild themes, like Minecraft, My Little Pony, Homestuck, and Furries) and proceeding to deathmatch/do whatever the objective is tends to get people REALLY pissed off. Bonus points if you start doing really well and dominate 3/4ths of their team.

If people act like normal human beings and ask calmly I usually stop. I've been doing this on and off for a couple of years and I think I've only quit a server because the people there seemed well-adjusted a grand total of one time.

Ryanbomber fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 26, 2013

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

CitizenKain posted:

Usually the AI in CoH was pants on head retarded, but occasionally it became a pro RTS player and would dominate. Plus it would get bonus resources and do other weird poo poo.

The AI isn't too bad. On easy it sucks totally, on normal it's ok, on hard it sees what you are doing and just does whatever counters that. On Expert it does what it does on hard but gets double resources. My friends and I usually play against three normals and one hard.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
So someone in the Age of Wushu thread suggested that the funny things that the goons are doing ought to get a bit more exposure, and linked the griefing thread. I figured the event we hosted yesterday probably qualifies.

For the record, Age of Wushu is a ridiculously complex and feature heavy MMO. It's not at all inaccurate to say that we learn of a new feature every day. Usually something no one in the game knows about yet.

It's got more in common with UO and the early era of "sandbox simulators" than it does the usual themeparks. It's a bit like EVE (Only somehow with even more poo poo to do than EVE.), only without the boring spreadsheet combat and with kung-fu instead. So as a result, it's a perfect playground for dickery if you like something a bit more engaging. Especially if you can get creative.

Also, for people unfamiliar with the basic mechanics of the game, Beggar's are basically a kung-fu school made up of hobo's.

From the thread:

Age of Wushu Thread posted:

So today I made a thing.

Having looked at the third beggar set, I realized that with certain parameters, you could force people to become drunk. This is done by essentially vomiting up the wine you drink onto people.

Being drunk in this game is hilarious. After you get absolutely smashed, you start staggering around, running into people, puking all over the place, windmilling your arms around like a moron, and more great stuff. What's more, being drunk reduces your movement speed to nothing, and if you get to Completely Drunken, it will last for up to half an hour. It's basically the same as being thrown in jail, only with more puke.

Two beggars can easily get someone to that point if they didn't bother to get their tolerance for alcohol up. In fact, one beggar can use the tier 1 vomit attack to get them to a tipsy state in two attacks.

Oh, and did I mention being drunk lasts through death? And that a Beggar can also light everyone and anyone who is hit with wine spray on fire?

Suffice to say that getting severely drunk really fucks you up, just like in real life. And Beggars can use this as a defensive weapon during combat. Clearly I needed to make a way to weaponize this offensively for the goon cause. And so I did. With a bit of planning several players got together, got tanked up on booze using my patented goon strategy, prepped for the suicide run, and then proceeded to drunk-bomb the Chengdu bank, one of the main hubs of the game.

The results of the plan were hilarious. Below is a few of the hundred screenshots I took of the ensuing chaos, and then the ensuing riot in the streets as drunk players staggered about, not able to see poo poo, lashing out at one another in a blind rage.

The highest tier of drunkenness also fucks with your movement controls and ruins your vision. So there were more than a few friendly fire incidents between people trying to take us out. Making it even funnier, the friendly fire incidents would sometimes happen due to their character deciding to suddenly spin around on his heel and stabbing some random dude in the stomach as they went to attack us.

Suffice to say, by the end of things several guilds were randomly fighting each other in the streets, each thinking they originally started the mess.

Some pictures of the event:

Here is the first run at the bank, during the countdown to the Drunkpocalypse.

And so it begins:

Retribution was swift...ish. You see, wine vomit is a conal AOE that also knocks people down. So they were stuck knocked over until we ran out of charges. Several higher level players (Who were apparently trying to keep themselves from vomiting from the sheer amounts of alcohol we forced them to ingest.) quickly retaliated once they could get back on their feet. We got a few more sprays in regardless.

Alas, it was too late. People got back up and began dancing around like retards. Here you can see a Shaolin monk dancing excitedly with a royal guard, all while several other players stumble around, not sure what the gently caress is going on.

Thisiswhychefsareawesome.jpg :fsn:

Like zombies, several players tried to stumble out of the bank, moaning in agony all the while. A woman spun around in circles as she exited the building, windmilling her arms about her. As she did so, vomit corkscrewed through the air from her mouth, spraying everyone with wine and stomach fluids.

One man stumbled behind the thin screen separating the rooms. Presumably, he felt the need to be polite. He bent over and began spewing all over the floor. You can see him towards the center of the screenshot.

So, given how funny it was the first time, we decided to do it again after tanking back up on alcohol. Also, we wanted to get the people we missed the first time. Here's a screenshot right before run number two. You can also see the guy who spewed behind the screen slowly lurching back to his position at the bank.

Some guy does some sort of weird "I'm drunk off my rear end and don't give a gently caress!" dance as we gather together for The Drunkpocalypse: Round 2: Electric Boogaloo! :black101:

People are also getting a bit agitated now, wondering what the gently caress is going on.

I don't have any screenshots of the spray for that one. But it was a success. More-so than we ever imagined, in fact.

One guy, either in a fit of stupidity, drunken confusion, or agitation, attacked everyone else trying to kill us. This set off a full scale riot in the streets. The results of this were gratifying. A near city wide drunken kung fu brawl ensued. Also, the guy who previously threw up behind the screen apparently decided to ram his staff through his throat in frustration.

Not long after, the drunken residents of Chengdu began staggering out of the respawn area like zombies, hellbent on killing their tormentors the other residents of Chengdu.

And then PowPow and his lovely little guild showed up, since they hate fun. So we puked them to death for awhile before deciding to sit back and watch the chaos.

TL;DR: Beggars are Space Station 13 in China.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jan 26, 2013

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Archonex posted:

So someone in the Age of Wushu thread suggested that the funny things that the goons are doing ought to get a bit more exposure, and linked the griefing thread. I figured the event we hosted yesterday probably qualifies.

For the record, Age of Wushu is a ridiculously complex and feature heavy MMO. It's not at all inaccurate to say that we learn of a new feature every day. Usually something no one in the game knows about yet.

It's got more in common with UO and the early era of "sandbox simulators" than it does the usual themeparks. It's a bit like EVE (Only somehow with even more poo poo to do than EVE.), only without the boring spreadsheet combat and with kung-fu instead. So as a result, it's a perfect playground for dickery if you like something a bit more engaging. Especially if you can get creative.

Also, for people unfamiliar with the basic mechanics of the game, Beggar's are basically a kung-fu school made up of hobo's.

From the thread:

Unlike the other people posting about how they played a game so good that it made someone mad, that was a legitimate grief. Congratulations!

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Why would you want to play as anything other than a drunken hobo? That's a great grief.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Improbable Lobster posted:

Why would you want to play as anything other than a drunken hobo? That's a great grief.

I spent half of yesterday with my beggar nearly blackout drunk. Somehow I ended up in the mountains of central china, pile driving goats into the ground off of a cliff and fist fighting sheep before skinning them for their delicious meat.

Then I may or may not have carved out a pig's heart and gave it to a woman as a gift. She apparently loved it. Age of Wushu is the best game for this poo poo. It's delightfully batshit insane at times.

Hell, the pubbies hate us just for being better at the game than they are. So the "Oooh, you're so mad that i'm better!" types can get their kicks too. :v:

Edit: As actual content in this post, from Age of Wushu:

Jail, Public Executions, Angry Pubbies, and You:

In Age of Wushu, you can go to jail if you commit too many crimes. Of the things that can get you infamy, "crimes" includes wantonly slaughtering your way through a town like Genghis Khan on a drunken murder-binge.

The playerbase also happens to be touchy as hell, going off on huge rants about how China is supposed to be e-honorable. These occur at the slightest imagined insult. Hell, even playing the game as it's intended tends to get some of them pissy. So just seeing the goon tag tends to set some of them off on long winded rants, at the very least.

Unfortunately for them, we happen to be one of the largest guilds in the game. So the most they can do is try and scream about how terrible we are in chat. Which isn't entirely untrue. You see, since we have so many new players coming in, there are a ton of low levels in the guild.

This doesn't stop a fair number of them from trying to gank goon lowbies before bragging about how good they are. But sometimes, even often, that backfires on them quite horribly.

Much like EVE, you can be useful in Age of Wushu at low levels. Even if you have poo poo damage, you can act as CC and support with a minimum amount of time invested. However, given the very sandbox nature of the game, there is another use for lowbie goons as well. That is, ramming yourselves down the gullet of the nearest annoying pubbie until he turns red named or purple named.

To explain, when you turn red named you are officially a criminal. Anyone can attack you (And can do it for money, I believe.), town guards will aggro on sight, and if you die you go to jail for a time dependent on how much horrible poo poo you did. And if it isn't obvious, murdering people you pathologically hate does not count as an exclusion from the infamy system.

Going to jail basically puts you in one of the (in-game) prisons for the duration of your sentence. The only way out is to wait out the time or be bailed out by a player spending money on you. This is apparently also a massive blow to the ego of any pubbie who thinks of themselves as hot poo poo. Especially if the goons he killed decide to visit him in jail.

If you're purple named however, you've essentially raised yourself up to the rank of a complete monster in Kung-Fu China. If you die like that, things get very amusing, very fast.

You see, the game has a rudimentary system of laws. And public executions are a thing. Purple named players get to spend a day or more in jail, then they are brought out to the execution square in front of all the players (It announces the execution so people can come and laugh at you.) who bother to show up. Then they are publically beheaded. Then they are stuck with a massive debuff that disables their ability to play the combat side of the game for a day or more.

And on top of that, you can't avoid your execution once caught. If you try to not log in for it, it'll just reschedule it for the next day until you show up. The only way out is to get beheaded, or somehow have some friends break you out of jail. The latter of which almost none of the pubbies will try and do for each other.

So, with a surplus of expendable newbies to force the infamy score of inattentive and overly violent pubbies up, guess what a favorite past-time of the goons is?

We're even nice enough to come visit them in jail afterwards and offer to play Go with them, since they have literally nothing else to do. This has the effect of giving our non-combat guys free XP. XP that is almost never denied to us, since it gets a bit boring in jail after the first fifteen minutes. So we actually profit from their stupidity and misery.

Or, failing that, we do organized kung-fu dance-offs at them as they impotently rage and beat the bars of the cell a few inches away. That never gets old. Especially since the game actually has mechanics that support doing it. :v:

Prostitution, Grocery Stores, and Slavery (for Profit!):

I don't have any screenshots showing it off, but it's possible to sell other players into slavery. You can make a lot of money if you're good at it, too.

It's also entirely possible to sell people into prostitution, amongst many other jobs. Some of which include being a slave to an evil grocery store manager, being forced to dance for the amusement of others, or even just forcing them to be a beggar in the streets.

I should mention that being kidnapped and sold off while offline (Your character exists as a NPC in the game world while offline if you're a VIP player.) sticks you with an unremovable identity tag over your character's head for the next six hours.

So it's possible to force someone to be known as a prostitute if they decide to set up shop in the wrong town. The average pubbie is not amused by this.

I'm sure this is a mechanic that the goons would never abuse heavily.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jan 26, 2013

silentsnack
Mar 19, 2009

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.

Archonex posted:

(booze-soaked terrorists strike from within)

Archonex posted:

(mass suicide for great victory!)

Is it possible to combine these: forcibly intoxicate a high-level fighter and have them involuntarily slaughter newbies

Orv
May 4, 2011
Sadly the game works in such a way that you won't involuntarily damage people even if you're a whirling tornado of steel in a crowded room. Unless you choose to do so.

E: Also how could you not talk about Age of Mythology and not talk about the Krush.

The expansion race for Age of Mythology: The Titans was The Atlanteans. Upon making it to a new age in AoM, you got to pick a minor god which gave a god power. These ranged from lightning storms, to huge enemy-cappable buildings that gave resource ticks per minute. Now the original races could only use each god power once, but the Atlanteans could use them multiple times. To further this bullshit, with the expansion, you gain whatever your minor gods myth unit is whenever you level up, for free from your temple. So when you age up as Set, whose heroes can summon minor animals, you get a horde of them at your temple.

One of the major Atlantean is Kronus, the god of time. His starting age power allowed you to move a building, without costing resources, from one place to another. All it took was a short unbuild and rebuild time, and then your building was ready to use. The Atlantean scouts worked on a system of expanding line-of-sight the longer the stood still, allowing them to scout from well outside your view range.

One of the favorite custom game maps (that also came up fairly frequently in ranked) was a map where every players starting town center started on a raised plateau with one or two easily wallable entrances. So if you ever played a 1v1 against a Kronus player, the moment you didn't scout one corner of your base, twenty metal robots with swords marched out of the fog and tore your base to bits, walled or no.

Also in regards to regulargonzalez's villager strategy: One of the second age gods for Set got a power that allowed you to teleport all units in an area to an area where you have vision. Set's god power gives you a large area of temporary vision to anywhere on the map. When you age up as Set you get your appropriate myth units and a swarm of lovely animals. Since you lose the game if you lose all your town centers, going all in with this combination was also a frequent game winner.

Basically part of why I was so good at AoM was because I was an rear end in a top hat, but it was an incredible RTS to play at high levels where this stuff didn't work. Also had the best compstomp that has ever existed.

Orv fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jan 26, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Is Age of Wushu actually worth playing or is it terrible like EVE and every other MMO ever?

I am SORELY tempted to join up

Orv
May 4, 2011

Magres posted:

Is Age of Wushu actually worth playing or is it terrible like EVE and every other MMO ever?

It shouldn't be, but it is. I cannot adequately explain this phenomenon, but it costs you nothing to experience it.

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Orv posted:

It shouldn't be, but it is. I cannot adequately explain this phenomenon, but it costs you nothing to experience it.

Is worth playing, or is terrible?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ariong posted:

Is worth playing, or is terrible?

It shouldn't be worth playing, and it is terrible, but we all love it. :iiam:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Magres posted:

It's honestly the best MMO i've played in years. Somehow it gets the freedom of EVE down while not putting you through the horrid bullshit and boredom of EVE, UO, and similar games. It's honestly surprising that China of all countries produced a game like this.

It helps that the game has a crazy number of different features to it, too. We're finding new stuff out every day, and there's a laundry list of things we've discovered so far. One of our newest discoveries is that we might be able to befriend NPC's and take them along as combat and non combat companions. No one is sure how to actually do this yet, but apparently it's possible according to multiple people.

Even so, you could probably take that picture showing the learning curve of EVE, edit it to have someone kung-fu kicking a dude off the top of the cliff, and it'd be accurate. There's a lot of depth to it. To the point where the sheer amount of stuff you can do is confusing for some of the new players coming into the game.

Good news though, if you join up now you can join us in burning the world. Since we haven't obtained any land to develop on yet, we're essentially the Mongol Horde, rampaging our way through China and burning everything in sight while looking for a home of our own.

Also, burning everything in sight is possible, like so many other features. Goon guild wars are a sight to see. An enemy guild member recently described it as a "tidal wave of men" constantly hitting them. If you want to read about they tend to go, I posted a quick account showing how one war went down (We've yet to lose one, and we're going up solo against multiple guilds allied with each other.) a bit ago in the official topic.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3527540&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=16#post411733533

If you don't want to read how the wars typically go, just think WW2's Russian front mixed with a hefty dose of Warhammer 40K. Like the enemy guild member said, it's usually just tidal waves of men throwing themselves onto the swords of the enemy, all so their corpses can pull them down and the next wave can hack them apart with impunity.

We don't have a high number of high levels yet (Though this is changing.), but we have insane numbers. So all of the larger battles where we take things seriously are glorious meat grinders as the raid leaders do their best commissar impression and the enemy fortress burns down around us. It's :black101: as gently caress.

Edit: And so this post has content related to the topic, you can grief people with guild warfare as well.

The current pubbie community is very much up its own rear end, much like how EVE's was in the early days. This means they take everything deathly serious. This can, with the right people, be exploited mercilessly to waste their time and frustrate them.

For the record, TP means team practice. When doing one, you essentially get into a group and do flashy kung fu moves for the game's (EVE style, TP accelerates it) version of experience. This also means that you're essentially doing a feudal dance-off every time someone organizes one.

From the Age of Wushu thread:

quote:

We couldn't burn SanguineMoon's guild hall so a bunch of us gathered naked in front of their hall quietly.

They figured something was going down so they started calling reinforcements. Handfuls of their guild and allies showed in preparation for some kind of defense.

What they didn't know is that we weren't there to burn.

We were there to TP. Naked.

The longer we did our TP naked the more frustrated they got. Their allies wondered why they were called out to Wandering Valley to watch naked goons dance in front of SangguineMoon's guild hall. And the whole time we said nothing. This made it worse for them.

And then the moment the TP was complete we put the icing on the cake.

Simultaneously we all announced PREPARE in local chat and in a puff of Tangman poison smoke we all teleported away.

I'm sure SanguineMoon and their allies, all dressed up with no place to go, were confused-as-gently caress. Psychological warfare is fun.

Every war or burn in the future should start with a vanguard of naked Goons TPing.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jan 26, 2013

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
In Age of Wushu, group dancing is a low effort method of raising your skills. People take turns with a simple minigame, group combos increase the reward. There's a daily cap on how much you can earn from this, and doing it in certain areas speeds the process. Sometimes it takes a while to organize enough people, and free players in beta have a time limit. Overall, the perfect setup for ganking.

A clever ninja taught me today that attacking a dancer knocks them out of the group, even if it happens to be the leader. Cue a chase scene:

Jumping off a mountain to escape capture:

Back again:

:allears:

Archonex
May 2, 2012

Keep in mind that the way TPing works, the more people who do the DDR style minigame right in a row, the more bonuses they get.

So by timing that right you essentially gently caress them out some of their daily bonuses. Not much, mind you. But it's enough to set off the average player who is all about numbers. Especially since they have to pay attention to the game let they risk their group deciding to continue on without them after restarting it.

And since people like to be lazy and AFK while TPing, this usually enrages some of them. Nothing seems to get people angrier than actually having to be active in a video game, it seems.

Jerkjerk perfected that crap to an art-form, and we actually (jokingly) considered sacrificing him to the volcano in Wanderer's Valley just to sate the resulting bloodlust of the pubbies at one point.

Edit: Just a heads up there, but it's definitely not WoW style combat. It's more like an actual kung fu fighting game.

There are parries, feints, attacks, and every skillset (And there are like 200 of them. The school ones are just the tip of the iceberg, apparently.) has a Dynasty Warriors style super attack in the vein of that game's "musuo mode". Musuo mode being the super attack in that game where your character gets a flashy banner overlaid over their UI, the name of the attack pops up on the screen, and your character goes into hyper-speed to gently caress someone (or a lot of someones) up.

There's even a very large "move list" of movement skills. These range from things like double and triple jumping, to flash sliding all over the place (Think Vanquish, as to how it looks.) like a lunatic. There's even more esoteric skills like running up/along and kick flipping off of walls Ninja Gaiden style, along with being able to do stuff like sprint over the water.

Unlike other MMO's, after you learn how to do these you activate them by pressing key combos instead of hitting a skill on a skillbar. For example, if you wanted to air dash, you'd double tap a movement key while airborne. Or if you wanted to slide somewhere really fast using Goose Step, you'd hold ctrl and a movement key.

They're absolutely necessary to mastering combat, too. Someone with Goose Step will rock you if you stand still and try to play it like WoW. This is because if you just stand still they'll be flitting around you at mach speed, slicing you up. You won't even be able to turn fast enough to hit them before they dash out of range and come back from the other side again.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Jan 26, 2013

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I'm fuckin sold. This looks kind of like WoW combat (which I actually like) meets EVE brutality (which I love). I'm truly excited to join the GoonTang Clan, be part of the Mongoonian Horde, and fight for the glory of Mother Afgoonistan.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

I have a story where I unintentionally griefed my way to the top and another where a game griefed me.

I played the 2D moba Awesomenauts for a bit and while I liked the game I didn't like how the analog stick was bound to moving and aiming while the d-pad was bound to voice commands and taunts. I played primarily as Clunk, a slow bulky self-exploding tank character. I remapped the controls and after trying them for a game I noticed a major improvement. Not only could I move more comfortably but I was actually doing better. I would time self destructs well and people would sometimes yell "SO ANNOYING" and quit. If someone quit they were replaced with bots until someone else tagged in, but most people chose to join games only from the beginning because it sucks coming in on a match where your team is losing. I found myself going up and up in leagues.

A friend interested in mobas was over and wanted to see this Awesomenauts game but demanded I try a ganking character. It's not my style but I fired up the stealth lizard guy. I did well and again went up in a rank but one thing was annoying about the match - the lizard guy would just not shut up! Seemingly in response to how the battle went he would taunt and yell to attack and defend. Unfamiliar with this I just muted the game while the friend put on some smooth music and even with an unfamiliar character I went up in rank.

Some time later I came back to the game to try another character or two. I tried the brain in a tank who had a voice like a typical German mad scientist. To my dismay he was constantly shouting his taunt and attack/defend commands. I figured my game install must just be broken and I was stuck playing as Clunk who made no noticeable sound. After a while I even tried the cowboy once and while I was doing pretty well in a high league I could not stand his constant YEE-HAWs and voice spam. Both my enemies and team mates were yelling "SHUT UP" so I opened up my settings.

The D-pad was mapped to both movement and voice commands. Every time I had ever moved, aimed, or hopped down through a platform I had been spamming a voice command unintentionally. For dozens of games up to the top of the silver league I had been pissing people off to the point where they left the game and were replaced with bots. I had been dominating bots in ladder matches thinking I had been using my mad skills to one-up hundreds of players. The controls didn't conflict and in the heat of the game I never noticed anyone suggest it to me until I played as the cowboy.
After fixing this setting I have lost every single game of Awesomenauts I've played.

After clicking a link in this thread and seeing a guy play I Wanna Be the Guy Gaiden I gave it a shot. It was very fun in a Super Meat Boy kind of way and I liked some of the twitch.tv jokes. The way the game yelled at me on every death was just the funniest way to die in a game that I've ever played and it would throw in some random curve ball bullshit kills sometimes. It was more fun on a TV and with a controller than it would have been otherwise though I'm sure.

So I had a different friend over who likes the twitch.tv and I had him play it. To my surprise that day when I launched the game it was completely different. Enemies were tougher, twitch.tv jokes were gone, and none of my badass skills from my previous playthrough carried over. It was a completely different version of the game. The hilarious yelling on death was gone and the bullshit random elements were gone. I was trying to explain to my friend that no, those fish were Kappa Ryu before and way easier to dodge, and that no, those things flew in a different pattern and were way easier to hit before. The game was actually worse and while we did both have some fun my friend thought I was absolutely crazy. There was no way that those fish enemies could have been a cycle of twitch.tv smilies and I was out of my mind if I thought the grapple point flew left off the rails instead of falling downwards.

I even started to question myself after a while. Had I really played the special Evo version I saw on youtube or did I just dream it or something? I deleted the files the game created and moved its location but it was never the same as the first time I played the game. I looked so dumb and the game griefed the poo poo out of me.

Heran Bago fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Jan 26, 2013

bucketmouse
Aug 16, 2004

we con-trol the ho-ri-zon-tal
we con-trol the verrr-ti-cal

Heran Bago posted:

I even started to question myself after a while. Had I really played the special Evo version I saw on youtube or did I just dream it or something? I deleted the files the game created and moved its location but it was never the same as the first time I played the game. I looked so dumb and the game griefed the poo poo out of me.

There's a special Pain Mode that the creator turns on sometimes when floe is playing it on stream. It effects everyone and the game phones home to see if it's on when it launches.

Also regarding Awesomenauts back around its PC launch: The character Coco was one of the two new additions. Her gimmicks are leaving a trail of fire and throwing an orb that can be detonated UT99 style for knockback and damage. I played the crap out of her but not for those reasons: No, she was fun to play because of her weak, lovely AOE melee attack.

This particular attack does constant damage as long as you're holding the button, but only at melee range and not very much damage. Given she's a glass cannon character it seems terrible until you realize that:

A) you can upgrade it so it lifesteals
B) you can upgrade fire to make you go faster

Basically for a solid week all I'd do was max melee damage, health, fire +speed and +duration, and glue myself to anyone dumb enough to get near me. Very few people have an escape that lasts longer than fully upgraded fire and for a while you could basically win a melee war vs basically everything but a perfect Clunk gank or a fully upgraded Froggy.

Eventually she got nerfed pretty hard though. RIP Free Hugs Coco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

The last bunch of posts on Age of Wushu are pretty much the best advertising the game could have. I am totally sold and can't wait to start playing next week!

• Locked thread