Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

I can check the store near me to see if they still have bottles of Flanders Fred if you'd like. I believe it was $17 for the bottle.

I'm opening the first beer I ever intentionally aged, a Firestone XIV. When I first had this I had little to compare to so my notes aren't very good, but this has held up well. The nose is a mix of bourbon, oak and chocolate, but the flavor is very intense and complex. On the intro I pick up dark chocolate syrup, caramel and light tobacco, the midtaste adds oak, a stronger tobacco, stronger caramel and the chocolate is transitioning to a sweeter flavor more akin to cocoa powder. The finish adds bourbon, a tad stronger oak, and thick caramel, and finishes semi-dry. I am glad I saved a bottle to be reminded of how good this beer was.

Thanks for the offer - I'm going to try it on tap first I think. Also, do you have access to Nugget Nectar?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.

crazyfish posted:

Thanks for the offer - I'm going to try it on tap first I think. Also, do you have access to Nugget Nectar?

I will have access to it when it comes out, I think it runs about $14 a pack on average. I should have no problem at all getting a 6 pack for you if you're looking for one. Let me know about the Flanders Fred as well. You can e-mail me to discuss further things at isprettyrandom at gmail dot com.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

I will have access to it when it comes out, I think it runs about $14 a pack on average. I should have no problem at all getting a 6 pack for you if you're looking for one. Let me know about the Flanders Fred as well. You can e-mail me to discuss further things at isprettyrandom at gmail dot com.

Will do! Expect an email after about Friday or so.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

danbanana posted:

Chicagoons: LO is having a thing on Friday. This thing has a pretty awesome tap list:

http://localoptionbier.com/2013/01/17/a-tribute-to-scarface/

I will be in Greenville, SC that night, likely drinking at the Trappe Door or Barleys.

Holy crap, Beer Here Kama Citra? I've been missing that a bit since leaving Denmark. I'm guessing it's the De Prouif version, but if it's like the one I helped brew at Søgaards, it's a nice, rich, toasty brown ale with a shitload of Citra character. And yes, the flavors work well together. :) I think I'll try to make it out there. Crazyfish, hit me up if you're going - same with other Chicagoons. We haven't had a beer meetup in a stupidly long time.

Got some Hopslam over the weekend, along with a sixer of Deschutes Black Butte Porter now that they're in Chicago. Hopslam is as good as I remember it - very floral, citrusy and bitter, but with a good amount of malty sweetness behind it. It's a sweeter IIPA, but it avoids the extreme ends of the spectrum (overly bitter or overly sweet) that many IIPAs stumble into. Black Butte is a well-crafted porter - very roasty and bittersweet, not as full-bodied or smooth as some other favorites of mine, but still delicious and easy to drink. I haven't had much Deschutes before, so I'm curious about their other beers that just entered the Chicago market. How's their white IPA?

/edit: The Local Option list has Boulevard Saison Brett as well. Yep, this is a go.

RocketMermaid fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Jan 22, 2013

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Ubik posted:

I haven't had much Deschutes before, so I'm curious about their other beers that just entered the Chicago market. How's their white IPA?

That is my 2nd favorite from them. Drink that in the summer and Black Butte in the winter as your go-to bottles.

Thank you for supporting Central Oregon's economy :shobon:

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Kudosx posted:

BA Blackout Stout release last night was really fun, and I'm glad to have bought tickets for it. Here's a little run down of what I thought about the beers.

2007 Blackout Stout: I had heard this stuff doesn't really improve with age, and I couldn't agree more. It doesn't get worse with age, but it sure doesn't get any better. I didn't drink it side by side with the un-aged version, but I really wish I would have... it could have possibly let me pick out subtle differences. The only difference I could detect was that the bitterness had really faded with age on this beer, which I think is kind of expected with a 5+ year old beer. I got the typical chocolate, slight coffee, and roasted malt flavor that I normally get from a fresh Blackout. I think fresh Blackout is incredibly smooth, and so was this, there is really no detectable alcohol for being a 9% ABV beer.

2011 BA Blackout Stout: I'm almost positive that the girl who was running the BA Blackout station got this, and the 2013 BA Blackout taps mixed up. This beer was extremely hot, it had a huge bourbon aroma, and a big bourbon taste. You could taste the underlying chocolate, and roasted malts, but I had a hard time detecting any coffee flavor through all the bourbon flavor.

2013 BA Blackout Stout: This was exactly what I'm looking for when I drink a BBA beer, the bourbon flavor/aroma was evident, while not being overpowering. I was able to detect the coffee, chocolate, and roasted/burnt malt flavors through the bourbon taste, and the beer didn't seem 'hot' at all, in fact it was incredibly smooth.

2011 Rackhouse Ale: Apparently this is a BBA American Strong Ale, you probably wouldn't be able to tell by drinking it, because it tastes like no other American Strong Ale I've ever had. This is one of the most disgusting beers I've ever had, and I kind of wish I had just gotten a double pour of another beer instead of this. It tasted like bourbon, mixed with cherry cough syrup, and I found it to be absolutely vile. My friend that I went with took one sip of his, and threw the rest of the 5 oz glass away... I kind of wish I had done the same! Gross!

Jabberwocky: Holy poo poo, this is probably the best sour I've ever had. This beer was sour, without being overwhelmingly so... which I really enjoyed, as I don't like beers that are so sour they make your lips pucker. This is a beer that makes me wish I had a better palate, which could discern all the different flavors I was tasting. I mostly got a flavor which almost tasted like a sherry mixed with a combination of green apples, and some tart/funky grapes. I didn't really get much oak/wood flavor from this beer, but I think that's because it had a few years age on it. I would buy this up like crazy if they ever decided to bottle it. My friend that I went with enjoys wine a bit more than beer, and this was his favorite beer of the night.

I'm going to leave out reviewing the 2012 Blackout Stout, because I'm pretty sure that a good amount of us have tried it, and it basically tasted like a more bitter version of the 2007.

I didn't think the girl had mixed up the taps until I tried the 2013 BA Blackout (I drank the "2011" first), am I correct in thinking that an aged BBA beer shouldn't be as hot, and the bourbon shouldn't be as evident?

e: Sorry if my reviews are lovely/hard to read, this is the first time I've typed something up like this. I think I'm one of the younger guys in this thread, and my ability to distinguish all the nuances of some of these complex beers is still pretty difficult for me. :smith:

I pretty much agree with all of this. I liked the more recent Blackout and BA Blackout for the exact same reason you said: they still had some bitterness to them to balance out the sweetness. The aged ones were just too sweet without much else to them. More dark chocolate notes in the newer ones. On the way home even my friend who doesn't drink a lot of craft beers said he liked the newer ones better.

Now when it comes to the Jabberwocky and the Rackhouse Ale, I had a similar opinion to yours, but most everyone at my table felt differently. I will say the Jabberwocky smelled awful. We settled on it smelling like the dentist office. However it tasted much better than that, very tart/sour. To me it was a mix of apples and cherries. Almost tasted like cider. Everyone else at my table hated it. Even weirder, they liked the Rackhouse Ale which was straight sweetness with nothing else to it. Wasn't really in love with either of them but definitely liked the Jabberwocky more (especially its 11.5% ABV).

edit: regarding the girl pouring the BA Blackout.....she had a bad system where she was pouring the tastes ahead of time and setting them aside. Then she would hand them both to you at once instead of pouring fresh and handing one at a time.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Jan 22, 2013

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Black Butte in the winter as your go-to bottles.

I like Black Butte. It's a perfectly acceptable porter. But in my opinion, it's inferior to more than a few porters that it now finds itself next to on Chicago shelves.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Deschutes Chainbreaker is oustanding. Pretty much that beer, Daytime IPA (wish this were in TX), and Lagunitas Sucks have been excellent amongst the newer releases for sessionable IPA's lately.

Went to a pretty colossal tasting on Sunday that included an '09 DL, Westy 12, various Hill Farmstead beers, Midnight Sun Berserker and Jackie O' Oil (which I missed out on) among many other things. My overall favorite was O'Dell Meddler, which I thought was a really pleasant beer to drink even if it's not a good example of the oud bruin style. Very fruit forward on the smell and first sip. Firm yet pleasant puckery finish, but the hints of hops/pepper are there. Makes me think a sour quad and a wine decided to make a baby and this was the result. Meddler easily stood out to me since almost everything else at this tasting was either a barleywine or some kind of big imperial stout, and inevitably I hit a point of palate fatigue on these.

Ah and looking back at Untappd, I almost forgot about Hair of the Dog Doggie Claws, holy gently caress that was an excellent barleywine. The finish just goes on and on, so much toffee, dark honey, and citrus. Really viscous and bold on the flavor. There was also a Pelican MoaS (which I had before, even side by side with King Henry) and the Dry Dock Bligh's barleywine too.

air- fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 22, 2013

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

Mahoning posted:

edit: regarding the girl pouring the BA Blackout.....she had a bad system where she was pouring the tastes ahead of time and setting them aside. Then she would hand them both to you at once instead of pouring fresh and handing one at a time.

Ah, this must have been why my friend and I got the opposite beers we asked for. I'm just glad we got to try them both, even if she gave them to us backwards.

Jabberwocky did smell really funny, but drat was it tasty. I was really surprised my friend liked it, but I guess it's because he likes wine. Either way, I'm really glad I went, and I can't wait to trade some of this off!

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

danbanana posted:

I like Black Butte. It's a perfectly acceptable porter. But in my opinion, it's inferior to more than a few porters that it now finds itself next to on Chicago shelves.

Yeah, this is more or less my assessment of it. It's far from a bad beer and I'm perfectly happy with it, but next time I'll probably end up getting yet another sixer of Revolution Eugene. :3: (Or Founders Porter, or GL Edmund Fitzgerald.)

Also, I'm officially shocked by the beers that even crappy convenience stores have these days. The crapshack across from my apartment has off-brand everything and didn't even have white vinegar in their grocery aisle, but they had FW Union Jack, Deschutes Red Chair, a Unibroue mix box, and all the main Founders beers. Plus a few bottles of Frangelic Mountain Brown. :monocle:

Which I did not buy, by the way, because I hate hazelnut extract. I had to use that poo poo when I worked for Søgaards and it's impossible to make it taste like anything other than super-sweet artificial garbage in a beer.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Ubik posted:

Yeah, this is more or less my assessment of it. It's far from a bad beer and I'm perfectly happy with it, but next time I'll probably end up getting yet another sixer of Revolution Eugene. :3: (Or Founders Porter, or GL Edmund Fitzgerald.)

Where I'm at, beer-wise: I'll happily try something new but find myself asking "is this better than what's on the shelf?" And at this point, for most standard styles, the answer is "no."

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

danbanana posted:

Where I'm at, beer-wise: I'll happily try something new but find myself asking "is this better than what's on the shelf?" And at this point, for most standard styles, the answer is "no."

This is why I wish more stores did mixed six packs. I was just at Bottles and Cans in Lincoln Square yesterday, and you can mix a six with anything in the store, not just what's in the special mix a six section (though you have to ask before splitting up a pack). I'm working on my goal of drinking all 100/100 BA beers of fame by the end of the year, and because of the mix six selection I was able to buy up nine of the ones I haven't had. I'd like to try all the Deschutes beers, but buying four six packs to try four beers is just too much to buy when I have as much beer as I have in my apartment.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

When I lived in TX in 2005 Black Butte definitely was the best porter in my distribution. Now not so much, sure, but it's still a great sixer to bring to parties around here. The best 12oz beer of theirs is probably Jubel Ale.

So in Bend in two weeks Worthy Brewing opens up, becoming the 20th operating brewery in Deschutes County -- putting us even with Denver, and running the gamut from Deschutes down to dudes with 1bbl systems in their basements. It's starting huuuuuuuge, putting up a massive brick edifice on the east side of town which reminds me a little of Odell's and cannibalizing talent from a couple of the bigger Portland joints. (It's run/funded by a guy who became filthy rich as an asbestos lawyer, then got sick of it and chucked it all to start up an organic hop farm.)

They open on 2/4 but the first kegs of their standard to-be-canned pale ale are at a couple of bars already. It's a standard pale ale, all right, but they say they'll be going nuts with the pilot system once the official open begins and so I look forward to that. Bend (OR as a whole maybe?) does not really have a "destination brewery" along the lines of Stone or Odell or Troegs so I can see it filling that hole, certainly.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Ubik posted:

Which I did not buy, by the way, because I hate hazelnut extract. I had to use that poo poo when I worked for Søgaards and it's impossible to make it taste like anything other than super-sweet artificial garbage in a beer.

Forgot to respond to this. Yeah, Frangelic was pretty awful. I still have one more bottle left (learned the hard way to taste unknown beers before buying hyped poo poo en masse) and I can't bring myself to drink it.

edit: And yeah, most likely I'll stop in at Local Option after work on Friday - I'll drop you an email or other message off-SA to let you know if/when I'm coming - I'd like to trade homebrews with ya too.

Josh Wow
Feb 28, 2005

We need more beer up here!

RiggenBlaque posted:

I'm not trying to be mean, but why the hell would you want to do all that? It sounds dreadfully boring to take something as enjoyable and drinking and standardizing it down to what amounts to an SAT. And jeez, that sounds like A LOT of work!

I can 100% understand how it seems like it wouldn't be fun but I am a total beer nerd, so even before I decided to try and take the Cicerone exam I still did poo poo like read the CAMRA guide to casks and cellarmanship for fun. I only took the actual test because my work paid for it, I could never swing that kind of cash for a certification that doesn't do me any immediate tangible good since it's pretty expensive.

funkybottoms posted:

never looked into the specifics of the exam- what were the off flavors and how were they produced (a few drops of lacto in a keg, etc)?

You can get off flavor test kits to help you study but they're expensive, I think around $200 for a 24 off flavor kit. Then you just dose about half of whatever vial into a liter of beer and you've got your off flavor. That's how they do it on the test, just dosing whatever chemical causes the off flavor into the beer.

Midorka posted:

That sounds very difficult, but why wouldn't you be proud of having that title?

It's not that I'm not proud of having the title so much as I think they're way too pretentious about it. I suppose if they want it to be taken seriously they have to be but I just find it silly when they send you an email saying you're a Certified Cicerone® and you can now put that you're a Certified Cicerone® on your business cards but don't forget to put the ® because it's super serious!

RiggenBlaque posted:

But once you graduate grad school you usually get a pretty significant pay bump, does the same apply to being a cicerone?

Not at all for me, but it's mostly geared towards the service side of the industry and I've never been a bartender. I don't think any brewery is going to pay me more because I know a lot about beer, but it definitely doesn't hurt to have on my resume.

I'm not 100% sure you guys will be able to see this but I think you will, this is a sample of the 2008 exam for those of you who are wondering what it's like:

https://cicerone.org/sites/default/files/Apr-2008%20CC%20Exam.pdf

consensual poster
Sep 1, 2009

SUPER HASSLER posted:

When I lived in TX in 2005 Black Butte definitely was the best porter in my distribution. Now not so much, sure, but it's still a great sixer to bring to parties around here. The best 12oz beer of theirs is probably Jubel Ale.

Red Chair is excellent, too. Actually, all of their selects and seasonals are pretty great except Twilight. The year round beers are solid, but pretty dull with they exception of Chainbreaker White IPA. The brewery one-offs they do at the Portland brewpub are really good, too, especially anything hoppy. Some of the best IPAs and DIPAs I've had over the past 2 years have been from the Portland Brewpub.

SUPER HASSLER posted:

So in Bend in two weeks Worthy Brewing opens up, becoming the 20th operating brewery in Deschutes County -- putting us even with Denver, and running the gamut from Deschutes down to dudes with 1bbl systems in their basements. It's starting huuuuuuuge, putting up a massive brick edifice on the east side of town which reminds me a little of Odell's and cannibalizing talent from a couple of the bigger Portland joints. (It's run/funded by a guy who became filthy rich as an asbestos lawyer, then got sick of it and chucked it all to start up an organic hop farm.)

They open on 2/4 but the first kegs of their standard to-be-canned pale ale are at a couple of bars already. It's a standard pale ale, all right, but they say they'll be going nuts with the pilot system once the official open begins and so I look forward to that. Bend (OR as a whole maybe?) does not really have a "destination brewery" along the lines of Stone or Odell or Troegs so I can see it filling that hole, certainly.

Worthy looks like it could be interesting, but both of the main brewers are from Laurelwood in Portland, which doesn't excite me too much. Laurelwood makes some solid beers, but I have never had anything that has wowed me. That said, Christian Ettinger, the owner/brewer of Hopworks, was from Laurelwood and Hopworks is really good. The fact that they have their own hop farm with several experimental varieties is going to be a big plus for them. It will definitely allow them to put out some IPAs with interesting flavor profiles.

BTW, does Bend (or Oregon) need a destination brewery?

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

Perfectly Cromulent posted:

BTW, does Bend (or Oregon) need a destination brewery?

Bend needs tourists :supaburn:

'Need' is subjective but there is a difference between getting a tour of a prefab warehouse and hanging out in a big, well-designed, attractive building with good food, live bands, etc. Maybe "destination brewery" is overstating it but I really dug what Odell and New Belgium and FCB did over in Ft. Collins anyway. The sort of scene you can create when you start really big and build from scratch.

SnowDog
Oct 26, 2004
Nice blog post on local small town brewery finding next level of success and upping their brewing capacity 15x.

quote:

Since we received the Brew Magic, 13 months ago, we brewed 218 batches of beer. This amounts to roughly 70bbls. . . ten measly gallons at a time. Some of this was sold at retail, some of it was tested by friends prior to the retail opening, and some of it - 0.009% - went down the drain. It took roughly 6104 pounds of malted barley to make it happen and 109 pounds of hops. We collectively spent 7,000 hours in 2012 building Tree House, and that includes just the founders - not the generosity of our friends and loved ones.
And now, with a fully operational 5bbl brew house, we’ll do all of the above - constituting 70bbls - in five to six weeks.

drat.

I hope they continue to do well. I'd like for more people to be able to enjoy their brews :).

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"
About to leave Philly after an awesome day trip dedicated to beer. Pliny on draft at Monk's, as well as half a bottle of Cantillon Classic Gueuze split with a buddy, then Sculpin and Racer X at the Foodery. Love that you can sit down and open bottles there. Wish we had those kind of liquor stores back home (minus the prices of course).

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Bend needs tourists :supaburn:

'Need' is subjective but there is a difference between getting a tour of a prefab warehouse and hanging out in a big, well-designed, attractive building with good food, live bands, etc. Maybe "destination brewery" is overstating it but I really dug what Odell and New Belgium and FCB did over in Ft. Collins anyway. The sort of scene you can create when you start really big and build from scratch.
I don't know if a venue is really going to do the trick for bringing in beer tourists to Bend when the bigger problem is that its kind of in the sticks and out of staters will just fly into Portland instead.

Its actually on the radar for me and a couple of friends to go some time but really the only reason is one of them grew up in various places along the west coast and has family spread out around the middle of nowhere Oregon. I am apparently a bad beer person because I didn't know Deschutes was actually in Bend until he asked me if I wanted to go and I started wondering why anyone would want to go to Bend.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Any goons planning on going to Hunahpu Day this year? My girlfriend and I will be down there, I'd love to meet up with some goons or maybe do some trading for stuff I can't get in Michigan/Ohio.

Any recommendations on other breweries we should check out? I heard Peg's has a pretty cool event the night before.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

Any goons planning on going to Hunahpu Day this year? My girlfriend and I will be down there, I'd love to meet up with some goons or maybe do some trading for stuff I can't get in Michigan/Ohio.

Any recommendations on other breweries we should check out? I heard Peg's has a pretty cool event the night before.

Unfortunately, no. But if you find yourself with one or five extra bottles...

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

Bag of Sun Chips posted:

My roommate and I will be there. I've got a spare bottle of BBA Big Sound if you need it, and should be able to pick up a few bottles of Capricho Oscuro batch 5 as well. We might do Peg's as well, I'm always off on Friday, but it depends on how his schedule will look.

Make sure you check out 7venth Sun and Rapp as well, on top of Cycle Brewing (Peg's).

EDIT: A store near me (approx 45 minutes away from CCB) has a literal shitton of Zhukov's if you need more for your stash too. I think Lueken's in Dunedin still has plenty though, and it's very convenient to 7venth Sun.

deadwing fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jan 23, 2013

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

b c n u posted:

About to leave Philly after an awesome day trip dedicated to beer. Pliny on draft at Monk's, as well as half a bottle of Cantillon Classic Gueuze split with a buddy, then Sculpin and Racer X at the Foodery. Love that you can sit down and open bottles there. Wish we had those kind of liquor stores back home (minus the prices of course).

Probably won't be back in Indy in time for Clustertruck tomorrow then, eh? I'd still like to take you up on your offer sometime, so check my last post for my email addy (I don't have PM).

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
So i posted in the Beer Xchange thread that I was looking at trading for a lot of west coast brews but I'm now probably just thinking straight up trades of Barrel-Aged Blackout for Barrel Aged Bigfoot, Blacknote, or BCBS. I have a whole case of BA Blackout.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?
Picked up a few of Olde Hickory's Seven Devils today, BBA scottish ale. LOVED this beer last year, hoping that this year's is half as good (which it will be, because OH is pretty awesome). I haven't seen many barrel aged scottish ales, who else makes one?

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Retemnav posted:

Picked up a few of Olde Hickory's Seven Devils today, BBA scottish ale. LOVED this beer last year, hoping that this year's is half as good (which it will be, because OH is pretty awesome). I haven't seen many barrel aged scottish ales, who else makes one?

Founders, Cigar City, and Alesmith off the top of my head.

What It Dooski
Apr 26, 2010

I'm totally in for Local Option on Friday. That's going to be an expensive night.

Whisker Biscuit
Dec 15, 2007

danbanana posted:

Founders, Cigar City, and Alesmith off the top of my head.

With Founders' being way easier to 'land' than either of the others.

b c n u
May 9, 2004

"We've got rectal bleeding." "What, all of you?"

runchild posted:

Probably won't be back in Indy in time for Clustertruck tomorrow then, eh? I'd still like to take you up on your offer sometime, so check my last post for my email addy (I don't have PM).

Just got back so depending on the SO I may make it out tomorrow. I'll shoot you an email in the morning.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

Whisker Biscuit posted:

With Founders' being way easier to 'land' than either of the others.

Definitely, though "easy" is still not a word I would use for Backwoods Bastard.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

danbanana posted:

Definitely, though "easy" is still not a word I would use for Backwoods Bastard.

easier than breweries that don't get distribution in NC, that's for sure

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
Has anyone been to Otto's in State College, PA? I like their beer but their food is an absolute nightmare, I have no idea how they are so insanely popular.

BoredByThis
Jul 13, 2001

Watch out! I'll attract you too!

Ubik posted:

Also, I'm officially shocked by the beers that even crappy convenience stores have these days. The crapshack across from my apartment has off-brand everything and didn't even have white vinegar in their grocery aisle, but they had FW Union Jack, Deschutes Red Chair, a Unibroue mix box, and all the main Founders beers. Plus a few bottles of Frangelic Mountain Brown. :monocle:

Bruno's on Sheridan still had bottles of Bolt Cutter as of Thursday. I picked one up when I was there for rehearsal last week.

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

crazyfish posted:

Forgot to respond to this. Yeah, Frangelic was pretty awful. I still have one more bottle left (learned the hard way to taste unknown beers before buying hyped poo poo en masse) and I can't bring myself to drink it.

Earlier this week my local six pack shop had a Founder's sponsored event. Unfortunately some guy ended up buying all the KBS and most of the CBS before the thing even officially kicked off. I ended up getting a bottle of Frangelic because it was all that was left when I got there (20 minutes early). I think I had it before at a beer festival but having trouble recalling if I liked it or not. Now I may be second guessing that decision. Of course I'll still drink it, but probably in a more casual setting.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

lifts cats over head posted:

Earlier this week my local six pack shop had a Founder's sponsored event. Unfortunately some guy ended up buying all the KBS and most of the CBS before the thing even officially kicked off.

they held on to CBS and KBS this long and then just let some dude buy all of it? that doesn't sound right at all.

Quarterroys
Jul 1, 2008

I remember someone sharing a link in this thread at some point to a distributor site that ships some of the Russian River beers to states that normally wouldn't get distribution at a markup (specifically, Pliny). Anyone remember what i'm talking about?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Cervixalot posted:

I remember someone sharing a link in this thread at some point to a distributor site that ships some of the Russian River beers to states that normally wouldn't get distribution at a markup (specifically, Pliny). Anyone remember what i'm talking about?

I've used these guys before: http://www.blackwellswines.com/

lifts cats over head
Jan 17, 2003

Antagonist: A bad man who drops things from the windows.

funkybottoms posted:

they held on to CBS and KBS this long and then just let some dude buy all of it? that doesn't sound right at all.

I may be exagerating a little bit and he may have not bought all of them, but all I know is when I got there the small shelf for the KBS and CBS was empty and this guy was sitting at the bar with 6 six packs in front of him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

lifts cats over head posted:

I may be exagerating a little bit and he may have not bought all of them, but all I know is when I got there the small shelf for the KBS and CBS was empty and this guy was sitting at the bar with 6 six packs in front of him.

Six packs? I mean, I guess they were probably selling the KBS as individual 12 oz bottles and packing them in whatever but... 6 packs of CBS bombers?